• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

deepbrown

david_bowie.jpg

105796_med.jpg

The DMC4 demo was just so damn awesome it got me to run out and buy the 5th Anniversary Collection. I haven't played the first game since I beat it when it first came out years ago, I never gave the second game a real shake, and for whatever reason I could never get into the third one. Now I'm going to try and play through the entire series.

I'm just going to cancel my pre-order for No More Heroes since I have no other means to get DMC4. That release delay because of Quebec's language laws for No More Heroes has been a bit of a blessing in disguise.

MiamiWesker said:
I was able to finish the 10 minute demo with 1:30 to spare, easier than I thought.

No one is going for most red orbs, come on lets compete in something. I just got 10881.

Still learning the reving mid-combo.

PLEASE point in the direction of the page containing Just-EX, combos, revving, etc, etc.

Assembly Required said:
PLEASE point in the direction of the page containing Just-EX, combos, revving, etc, etc.

cant remember what page it was on, but here
put in a note pad.

What is Exceed?

Exceed is a technique exclusive to Nero that allows him to charge the attacks of Red Queen, his sword, for greater damage and in some cases enhanced or additional effects. It is represented in-game by the round meter, properly called the EX-Gauge, to the left of the health bar in the upper left corner of your screen. Tapping LT/L2 will cause Nero to rev the motorcycle handle on the Red Queen and begin to fill the EX-Gauge. Once fully charged, a Lamp will alight on top of the EX-Gauge. There are three Lamps in total, and the fastest way to fill one with standard revving is to hold and release LT/L2 three times. This process should take a little under three seconds. A filled Lamp allows Nero to perform one and only one Exceeded, or EX-, attack.

What is Instant Revving?

Instant Revving, or IRing, is the technique that will allow you to use the Exceed system to its full potential. It involves instantly filling the EX-Gauge, thereby lighting a Lamp without delay. This is accomplished by timing a press of LT/L2 at a predesignated point during any attack. When performed correctly, Nero's blade will flash, you will hear a short high-pitched pneumatic sound accompanied by a brief revving, and a Lamp will light up.

Mastering the Instant Rev

Achieving fluency with IR requires that the player become sensitive to the subtle rhythm of his or her button inputs. This means, paradoxically, that during combos you must pay more attention to your own hands than the screen until you develop an intuitive grasp of the necessary timings. Visual cues are the second key element of successful IRing, particularly for single-hit attacks, so I will refer to them extensively. To benefit from these you will obviously need to pay very close attention to the screen. It's up to you to maintain a healthy balance of both these methods. Our ultimate goal is to gain the ability to consistently IR Nero's every attack, such that each hit is bolstered by the power of Exceed.

Preparation

I recommend that you reduce the volume of your television to avoid distraction, because feeling and hearing your controller is important to getting the proper timing down. To practice these timings stay in the first area of Executioner, or clear the Frosts from the field a bit further in. The bridge to Berial is another decent spot for practice. Which one you should choose mainly depends on which camera view you prefer.

Notations

The most straightforward way I can think of to illustrate the concept of rhythmic input is to display the notation of each attack or combo using spaces to indicate the correct timing for each rev. To this end I present the following notation key:

+ - press the buttons/directions on either side of this symbol at the same time
~ - press the buttons/directions on either side of this symbol in immediate sequence, but not together
: - I will use this symbol for spacing. The time it represents is relative, but it should make perfect sense once you start putting my notations into practice
f - press the left stick in the direction Nero is facing
b - press the left stick in the direction Nero's back is facing
R - rev; LT for 360 players, L2 for PS3 players. A quick tap of this button is all that's needed to IR
A - attack; Y for 360 players, Triangle for PS3 players. As with revs, use quick taps of this button
[] - the button(s) within these brackets should be held
(lock) - denotes an attack that must be performed while holding the lock-on button; RB for 360 players, R1 for PS3 players
(air) - denotes an attack that must be performed while airborne

Now then, on to the moves. This won't be uniformly structured. For some attacks a simple description of its visual cues will suffice, while more complex ones will require the rhythmic notation described above. In all cases, however, I will list how the normal version of the attack is performed.

Streak - (lock) f+A

Rev just before the blade completes its arc and stops behind Nero's body. This simple timing is made a little more complicated by the attack's variable range. If an enemy or obstruction is not immediately in front of Nero, he will rush forward before delivering the slash. Remain collected and avoid revving until the end of the animation.

EX version: Timing is faster than the standard version. Rev the moment Nero's spin faces him left. This occurs directly after the fiery slash; roughly in the middle of the move's full animation.

High Roller - (lock) b+A

Rev at the peak of the arc, just before Nero tilts the blade down to refasten it to his back. You'll most likely try to rev too early at first, but you should be able to adjust for this with a bit of practice

EX version: Slower timing. Rev right before the Red Queen taps the ground at the end of the attack.

Rising High Roller - (lock) b+[A]

Rev at the peak of Nero's jump, a moment before he puts away the Red Queen.

EX version: Faster timing. Rev just before Nero's head points down and the Red Queen points behind him, just after he reach the peak of his jump.

Split - (air) (lock) f+A

Rev as Nero's blade touches the ground. The easiest timing of all the attacks in my experience.

EX version: Virtually identical timing, though Nero's fall is a bit faster.

Combo 1 - A::A::A::A

Standard first slash: A:::R~A:R~A::R~A::::R

This is, to my mind, the single most important combo to learn to IR. Once you've mastered this one, none of the other combos should give you much trouble because you will have understood much of what you need to know about rhythmic input in order to adapt it to other IR timings. While memorizing this combo's timing, I found it necessary to count it out to avoid confusing myself with the rapid button inputs. I broke it down like so: one (A:::), one-two (R~A:R~A::), three (R~A::::)...four (R). I also had to actively fight against my instinct to press A before R.

I recommend learning this one in pieces as I did. Practice until you can get A::R~A:R~A to come out consistently. This is by far the easiest portion of the combo to IR. The short delay before revving the first slash gives way to a nice even rhythm with the inputs for the next two. Next, incorporate the third R~A, which is the really tricky part. The correct timing for this third rev is extremely close to that of the previous two, yet there is an additional tiny, barely perceptible delay. It's so slight that if you actively try to slow your timing you'll likely botch it. Instead, try lifting your finger from the rev button after the second R~A. Experiment with the distance at which you do so until it creates the desired effect. Finally, add the last R. The delay on this one is positively massive in comparison to the previous timings. For this reason it's quite easy once you get the hang of it.

As for visual cues, bear in mind that I encourage you to stick to the rhythmic input method alone until you're reasonably comfortable with it. It's an invaluable technique. That said, here they are. First slash, rev as the sword scrapes the ground. The delay is probably a tad longer than you'll expect. Second slash, rev in the middle of the animation, or just after this point. Third slash, same as the second, but more difficult to judge because of its horizontal trajectory. Fourth slash, right as the sword makes contact with the ground, before you see sparks.

EX first slash: A::R~A:R~A::R~A:::R

I'm sure this doesn't look like a huge difference to you, but the faster first slash can make the timing for the rest of EX-Combo 1 feel significantly off. In actual fact, you really just have to adjust for the shorter startup time. It's really hard to go by the visual cue since the attack's so fast, but you need to rev right in the middle of the slash.

Combo 2 - A::A::::A::A::A

Standard first slash: A::R~A:R:::A:R:A:R:A:RA::R

Not bad, except for the third slash, which will probably throw you for a bit if you've been practicing Combo 1 up until now. You'll notice the necessary delay between the second and third slashes is significantly shorter when the second slash is successfully IRed. Visual cues for the first two slashes are identical to those of Combo 1. Slash three, which is actually a pair of rapid vertical slashes, is revved midway through the second of the two. Four, near the end of the slash. Five, midway through Nero's spin. Six, as the animation is winding down, just before the Red Queen comes to a stop.

EX first slash: A::R~A:R:::A:R:A:R:A:RA::R

I have nothing to add here, since the beginning of this combo is the same as that of Combo 1.

Aerial Rave - (air) A::A::A

Standard first slash: (air) A::R~A:R:A

Not too bad if you're used to Combo 1. The timing for the first and third revs is a tad long. Watch out for that.

EX first slash: (air) A:R~A:R:A

Arguably easier than the standard first slash version, because the timing of the first rev is more consistent with the rest.

I think that's a wrap. If you find any areas of this guide lacking (as you most assuredly will, because I threw this together on less than a few hours' sleep), please speak up so I can address them in additional detail. I'm kind of zonked, so I might have glossed over something important.

Rimshot

I can hardly wait until this comes out here in Sweden. Hope they send it before the release date so one gets it at the release date and not after.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
So, I'm watching someone play this, annnd, I can't wrap my finger around why they had the need to make barriers disappearing cutscenes. Its a tad annoying. Not long at all, but, come on now. Aside from that, I'm not sure if its an item, but, nero can find secret missions a lot easier. Doesn't really have to use the good ole Resident Evil-presstheactionbuttoneverywhereinaroom-way of going about business.

Nero is hilarious.

The pc version needs to hurry up and get here too.

thecheese

For people who have the game, is it hard? The demo was very easy so I'm hoping the actual game is very challenging, especially on the hard setting.

burgerdog

Oldschoolgamer said:
So, I'm watching someone play this, annnd, I can't wrap my finger around why they had the need to make barriers disappearing cutscenes. Its a tad annoying. Not long at all, but, come on now. Aside from that, I'm not sure if its an item, but, nero can find secret missions a lot easier. Doesn't really have to use the good ole Resident Evil-presstheactionbuttoneverywhereinaroom-way of going about business.

Nero is hilarious.

The pc version needs to hurry up and get here too.

You could just skip them.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well holy shit. Ahem, let me rephrase that: HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

I had been playing this demo off and on since its release, and just now, just today, it finally clicked. This is from the point of view of someone that has never played the DMC series before. I had printed out the instructions for doing the combos and such and finally it. just. clicked.

OMG this game is so bad ass! Why didn't anyone tell me DMC games were so fun? :lol I went from button mashing my way through the demo to working my way up to a "Smokin'" combo on the ice guys. I went from getting smacked by Berial when he was at 50% health to downing him with ease.

My hands literally ache from the awesome. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to have plastic surgery to remove the DS3 from my hands after next week.

Big Nate said:
Well holy shit. Ahem, let me rephrase that: HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

I had been playing this demo off and on since its release, and just now, just today, it finally clicked. This is from the point of view of someone that has never played the DMC series before. I had printed out the instructions for doing the combos and such and finally it. just. clicked.

OMG this game is so bad ass! Why didn't anyone tell me DMC games were so fun? :lol I went from button mashing my way through the demo to working my way up to a "Smokin'" combo on the ice guys. I went from getting smacked by Berial when he was at 50% health to downing him with ease.

My hands literally ache from the awesome. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to have plastic surgery to remove the DS3 from my hands after next week.
Welcome. :D

Oldschoolgamer

burgerdog said:
You could just skip them.

Maybe the guy doesn't know, because I haven't seen him skip a single "barrier breaking down" cutscene yet. "/ Why couldn't they just let the barriers break out, instead of taking you out of the immersion you should be having. Shinobi did it just fine. Kill shit, the barrier disappears, and you move on without a pause.

The moves seem to be a bit on the pricey side. lolz. He didn't get the "more orbs" tech. so, its taking a bit longer (he's on mission 7 or 8) to get stuff.

Mamesj

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
Maybe the guy doesn't know, because I haven't seen him skip a single "barrier breaking down" cutscene yet. "/ Why couldn't they just let the barriers break out, instead of taking you out of the immersion you should be having. Shinobi did it just fine. Kill shit, the barrier disappears, and you move on without a pause.

The moves seem to be a bit on the pricey side. lolz. He didn't get the "more orbs" tech. so, its taking a bit longer (he's on mission 7 or 8) to get stuff.

can you replay missions for more orbs like in DMC3?

Oldschoolgamer

Mamesj said:
can you replay missions for more orbs like in DMC3?

He hasn't gone back to the mission select screen, but, the areas are connected and the enemies do respawn in certain areas. So, you can orb farm to an extent.

Edit: Just did (went to mission select)and it would seem so. He's done streaming atm.

I thought it was set up such that you had to play through consecutively and beat the game on a given difficulty before getting to go back to previous missions and orb farm - a nice compromise between DMC3 and DMC1. Is that not the case?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lostconfused said:
There were screens with the mission select menu, so probably yes. But then again theres always the bloody palace.
What?! Someone confirm this, please!

Seiken said:
What?! Someone confirm this, please!
*Devil May Cry 4 WILL HAVE Mission Select system, Demo Digest and Bloody Palace. One of the Achievements for DMC4 is in fact completing Bloody Palace mode.

its in the OP.

Oldschoolgamer

badcrumble said:
I thought it was set up such that you had to play through consecutively and beat the game on a given difficulty before getting to go back to previous missions and orb farm - a nice compromise between DMC3 and DMC1. Is that not the case?

I dunno really. Maybe someone with the game can test it out to see if you can do prior missions before completing the main story. As I said though, some of areas are really, really big, and connected. The guy was way past the boss from the demo, and got lost looking for the way out of that specific mission he was on. He ran all the way back to the starting area of the game, killing random demons that respawned, and getting orbs from them. The exit was near where he was before he made the metroid like backtrack to the start. LOL.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lostconfused said:
*Devil May Cry 4 WILL HAVE Mission Select system, Demo Digest and Bloody Palace. One of the Achievements for DMC4 is in fact completing Bloody Palace mode.

its in the OP.
Holy heaven... GotY.

Top Bottom