• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Dave1988

Mefisutoferesu said:
EXPLAIN NOW OR I WILL BEAT THE EVERLOVING... ... breathe, breathe, haaaaa-huuuuuuuuu haaaaaaaaaaa-huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu haaaaaaa-huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

If
Nero turns out to be the third son of Sparda and not just some special possesion by Nelo Angelo like the other knights, or reincarnation or whatever,
I will personally fly down to Capcom HQ and shove my copy of the game down Kobayashi's throat.

:D

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Mefisutoferesu said:
EXPLAIN NOW OR I WILL BEAT THE EVERLOVING... ... breathe, breathe, haaaaa-huuuuuuuuu haaaaaaaaaaa-huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu haaaaaaa-huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

If
Nero turns out to be the third son of Sparda and not just some special possesion by Nelo Angelo like the other knights, or reincarnation or whatever,
I will personally fly down to Capcom HQ and shove my copy of the game down Kobayashi's throat.

Nero has Sparda's blood, so thats kinda his son i guess? :lol
Still, i hope it sells enough to get a dmc5, i dont want it to end :p

MechaX

Clevinger said:
I just read the spoilers and,

1. it isn't surprising at all

2. it's nothing worse than plot points in the previous games

quit overreacting

Tell that to the IGN board in that link, where they're writing off DMC4 as another DMC2 simply because
Vergil
isn't in the game. They're practically treating the other DMC games as Shakespearean works, despite how some of the twists I've read were both predictable and still laughable, the story I've seen so far is still more fleshed out than any of the other games. (
Trish
actually has a personality now? BLASPHEMY!)

Tiduz said:

Brawl definitely has the potential to complicate things in Japan, but let's see how it does across the globe.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just picked up DMC4, and I'm installing it right now. I'm actually surprised the recap during install acknowledges the existence of DMC2.

thetrin said:
Just picked up DMC4, and I'm installing it right now. I'm actually surprised the recap during install acknowledges the existence of DMC2.

if possible, could you pretty please see if it will do 1080i? i would greatly appreciate it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
the_id said:
The million dollar question though is if the story is better than Ninja Gaiden?

ninja gaiden didn't even have a story. :lol :lol

I've read the spoilers and man, i hope there will be a special edition.

Narcosis

the_id said:
The million dollar question though is if the story is better than Ninja Gaiden?

Ninja Gaiden and Devil May cry fans often clash on these forums, and you usually can't discuss one without the other side throwing their preferred game in your face, but if there's one thing that both sides can agree on, a sentiment that unites people on both sides of the divide, it;s the response that both sides will give if you mention "story" or "plot" in either series:

"LOL"

Kyoufu

Narcosis said:
Ninja Gaiden and Devil May cry fans often clash on these forums, and you usually can't discuss one without the other side throwing their preferred game in your face, but if there's one thing that both sides can agree on, a sentiment that unites people on both sides of the divide, it;s the response that both sides will give if you mention "story" or "plot" in either series:

"LOL"

Is that so? I loved the stories in DMC1 and DMC3, especially the way DMC3 explains what happens with Vergil in DMC1. I need to get the novels.

DJmizuhara said:
Acording to the back of the PS3's box of DMC4 the game only supports 480p and 720p.

aren't there several games on ps3 that support 1080i but don't list it on the back of the box? iirc the japanese ver of vf5 went to 1080p despite it not being listed on the back of the box.

Is the same type of overreacting with the story that happend with RE: UC. I remember everyone was saying it was a new low for RE, no it wasn't, it fit well with the chessy story RE has. Probably the same thing here, also who cares.

thetrin said:

It actually acknowledges DMC2!?

....just what the hell did it say???

oh and is the install screen worth sitting down and actually watching....well....install

Dahbomb

Massive game play/unlockables related spoilers:

WTF.... no new weapons than the ones we already know? :lol :lol :lol

What about unlockable costumes and characters? Unlockable weapons? Where is the full information?

Fighting a boss... 3-4 times? Switch from Nero to Dante and then BACK TO NERO???

Okay DMC4 just went from a perfect 10 in a fans book STRAIGHT to a 9. I am not even commenting on the story though I don't think it's even close to being as bad as some people will make it out to be. It really was kind of expected.

I still call bull shit on the unlockables, there is NO WAY Capcom would give us this few unlockables unless they had DLC in mind. DMC3SE had far more unlockables and contents than in DMC4 and this just isn't adding up.

But some of the other stuff is cool. The harder difficultes seem NIGHTMARISHLY hard. One of them you are required to get an A rank a mission to progress further. :lol Then some of Nero's moves like Shuffle is pretty insane mechanics wise.

By the way, not many fans are at all pissed at the story like Dave would like you to believe BUT EVERYONE IS majorly pissed at the lack of content in DMC4, me especially. I have to say that we as fans got OWNED big time if this information ends up being true. We were promised at least 12 weapons, know we are learning that we might not get 10 even (DMC3SE had 12 weapons btw). Then this whole lack of bosses thing.... URGH.

Hype for DMC4 just took a fucking nose dive ... again if what the strategy guide says is true.

Kyoufu

Last time I checked, DMC3SE didn't have any unlockable weapons after you beat the game (aside from Vergil).

DMC4 has two full-fledged characters AND an unlockable weapon after you beat the game, so whats with the whining? I'm confused.

Dahbomb

Kyoufu said:
Last time I checked, DMC3SE didn't have any unlockable weapons after you beat the game (aside from Vergil).

DMC4 has two full-fledged characters AND an unlockable weapon after you beat the game, so whats with the whining? I'm confused.
Even if you total everything, the actual game play content is less than DMC3SE's BY FAR. Nero's actual combat merely only matches Vergil in DMC3SE despite having it's own story. Not that it even matters since you are fighting bosses like Berial .... 3 times. :lol

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Kyoufu said:
DMC3 had two full fledged characters as well. But at least Vergil got 20 missions instead of 7 ................

jaundicejuice said:
I haven't counted how many times the first boss, lava spider dude, has handed me my ass. I want to punch a bag full of puppies and kittens right now. Go ahead and laugh.

I've figured out what I have to do to beat it, I keep whittling it down to one quarter of its life only to die. Over and over and over. I finally caved and tried the Easy/Auto option and hated it. It does all of your combos for you, dials down the health and damage enemies can deal so far down all the while it dials your health, damage dealing capicity and devil trigger so retardedly high up. It's so...patronizing.

I saved the Auto/Easy on a new file, reset and loaded up my original save file before the boss fight.

Actually i restarted that part 10 times until i figured out that you have to do a stinger/combo to his face everytime he charges the fireball.

Kyoufu

Dahbomb said:
Even if you total everything, the actual game play content is less than DMC3SE's BY FAR. Nero's actual combat merely only matches Vergil in DMC3SE despite having it's own story. Not that it even matters since you are fighting bosses like Berial .... 3 times. :lol

Come on, we both know this is not true. Nero's moveset is bigger than "I'm a boss character" Vergil's.

Well, I suppose Vergil may have an edge with his non-unique weapons (force edge and beowulf) but don't forget that not only does Nero have a Devil Bringer that improves with his Devil Trigger, but so does his entire moveset. Vergil's Nelo Angelo form was lacking any usefulness.
DMC3 had two full fledged characters as well. But at least Vergil got 20 missions instead of 7 ................

Vergil is a boss character in DMC3SE. He is more of an additional unlock than anything else.

If you're going to say that Vergil was a complete character in DMC3SE, then you may aswell say DMC4 Dante along with Dark Slayer style brings the character count to 3.

bathala

Banned
shintoki said:
Wednesday was the last day to Pre-order and get a copy of it

fudge,

but i did call my local gamestop and the guy told me when u pre-order u'll get something during pick. He didn't specify artbook.

I'll still pre-order it

Zabka

I think it's a little silly to compare a new game in the series to a Special Edition re-release. Vergil is the PS2 equivalent of DLC: more money for added content to an old game.

Dahbomb

Kyoufu said:
Come on, we both know this is not true. Nero's moveset is bigger than "I'm a boss character" Vergil's.

Well, I suppose Vergil may have an edge with his non-unique weapons (force edge and beowulf) but don't forget that not only does Nero have a Devil Bringer that improves with his Devil Trigger, but so does his entire moveset. Vergil's Nelo Angelo form was lacking any usefulness.

Vergil is a boss character in DMC3SE. He is more of an additional unlock than anything else.

If you're going to say that Vergil was a complete character in DMC3SE, then you may aswell say DMC4 Dante along with Dark Slayer style brings the character count to 3.
You are talking in terms of story, I am referring in terms of game play content. I can easily put up Vergil's options next to Nero's options ANY TIME of the day and learn that they are quite similar. And Nelo Angelo was very useful for Vergil because it made him a walking tank essentially with new moves. In fact I would say Nelo Angelo was TOO strong.

Vergil was a complete character in terms of GAME PLAY. That is the final word and always has been. Storywise he is just a bonus, he doesn't add anything aside from like 2 cutscenes and that whole Corrupted Vergil costume thing.

And even if you don't accept Vergil as a complete character game play wise, you should at least accept that Dante in DMC3 still outclasses what is offered in DMC4. Dante had Doppelganger and Quicksilver along with 10 unique weapons, Dante has 5 styles and like 7 weapons (6 and a half more like it). At least DMC4 has a superior Devil Triggering system if that actually amounts to anything.

I just hope the Strategy guide hasn't actually gone through the higher difficulties and there is some actual content worth talking about like a Vergil skin of stuff like Summoned Swords weapons or classic weapons like A&R/Cerberus/Alastor. I just hope even at this point some stuff is still missing....

I've said it before, this game needs the three elemental weapons from DMC3 as DLC.

I've got to say, I'm most disappointed at the lack of battles with human-size opponents - DMC1's Nelo Angelo fights were the best part of the game, and the same goes for the DMC3 fights with Vergil (and, why not, I'll throw in Agni&Rudra and Nevan as pretty good human-size bosses). Looks like we're not going to have very much of that at all in this game :(

Dahbomb

badcrumbleI've got to say said:
I'm most disappointed at the lack of battles with human-size opponents[/B] - DMC1's Nelo Angelo fights were the best part of the game, and the same goes for the DMC3 fights with Vergil (and, why not, I'll throw in Agni&Rudra and Nevan as pretty good human-size bosses). Looks like we're not going to have very much of that at all in this game :(
That's one thing that DMC4 doesn't disappoint in. You have both Dante and Nero encounters as boss battles plue the One Winged Dark Knight plus One Eyed Dark Knight.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
You are talking in terms of story, I am referring in terms of game play content. I can easily put up Vergil's options next to Nero's options ANY TIME of the day and learn that they are quite similar. And Nelo Angelo was very useful for Vergil because it made him a walking tank essentially with new moves. In fact I would say Nelo Angelo was TOO strong.

Vergil was a complete character in terms of GAME PLAY. That is the final word and always has been. Storywise he is just a bonus, he doesn't add anything aside from like 2 cutscenes and that whole Corrupted Vergil costume thing.

And even if you don't accept Vergil as a complete character game play wise, you should at least accept that Dante in DMC3 still outclasses what is offered in DMC4. Dante had Doppelganger and Quicksilver along with 10 unique weapons, Dante has 5 styles and like 7 weapons (6 and a half more like it). At least DMC4 has a superior Devil Triggering system if that actually amounts to anything.

I just hope the Strategy guide hasn't actually gone through the higher difficulties and there is some actual content worth talking about like a Vergil skin of stuff like Summoned Swords weapons or classic weapons like A&R/Cerberus/Alastor. I just hope even at this point some stuff is still missing....

Trust me on this. Nero has more than enough moves. He might not have as many "weapons" as vergil, but, don't forget his main options can get stacked alongside of the rev system they have in place, and his DT's ridiculously useful upgrades, and, he can do that shit Gene does in god hand, after you smack bosses/enemies around a bunch.

Oh, as for Dante...I haven't seen anyone play through the game with him yet. Like i said earlier...guy made it to mission 8, and had to go. :|

I'm hoping the same thing as you, in terms of them going through the different difficulties. I'll be pissed as shit if the
shadows
aren't in the game, like I thought they said they were going to be.

Dahbomb

Shadows were confirmed in the FIRST PREVIEW OF DMC4 in Gameinformer. :lol

I have the fucking article on me right now, there is even a picture of the old Shadows along with the blurb. I guess they must have removed it mid-development (if it isn't featured in the game) but it was definitely in the plan. We already have Blades/Frosts and enemies with resemblances to the Sin type enemies. They should've completed it with the Shadows though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
Shadows were confirmed in the FIRST PREVIEW OF DMC4 in Gameinformer. :lol

I have the fucking article on me right now, there is even a picture of the old Shadows along with the blurb. I guess they must have removed it mid-development (if it isn't featured in the game) but it was definitely in the plan. We already have Blades/Frosts and enemies with resemblances to the Sin type enemies. They should've completed it with the Shadows though.

Exactly why people shouldn't rush to conclusions. It might be right, the guide might be wrong. Who knows! People shouldn't crucify it...just yet.:lol

The story is LOL though. :lol

Kyoufu

Dahbomb said:

Are you REALLY telling me that Vergil has a bigger moveset than a character that was designed to be playable from the very start and is the main character of DMC4?

If you're really saying this (I'm not even going to point out your Nelo Angelo DT inaccuracy) then I will bookmark this post and come back to it once we're both done beating DMC4 :p

Crow will be served, but to whom?

Dahbomb

Wait I don't think I have seen all of the story though. Can someone summarize? Because I really don't think it's THAT bad aside from a particular cutscene.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Kyoufu said:

Ummm no... Vergil not only had his own style and 3 weapons he also had 4 unlockable costumes for him self and his own campaign in bloodypalace. That makes him a complete individual and not just a mere unlockable.

DMC3's playable Nelo Angelo followed the same philosophy of that game's DMD enemies (its biggest weakness): no interesting new moves, ridiculously high-damage attacks and unbelievable defense/regeneration. He's an utterly boring character to play as apart from the fact that you can make phantom swords as often as you like (which, given the way Vergil works, shouldn't be very hard to do during normal combat anyway).

Dahbomb

Kyoufu said:
Are you REALLY telling me that Vergil has a bigger moveset than a character that was designed to be playable from the very start and is the main character of DMC4?

If you're really saying this (I'm not even going to point out your Nelo Angelo DT inaccuracy) then I will bookmark this post and come back to it once we're both done beating DMC4 :p
Vergil doesn't have a bigger moveset than Nero at all, in fact Nero has the obvious edge. And I don't feel like taking this argument any further until someone I know who is an actual fan plays through all of the difficulties and confirms the complete unlockable list. I have a feeling we are missing stuff like a Vergil's skin.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
badcrumble said:
DMC3's playable Nelo Angelo followed the same philosophy of that game's DMD enemies (its biggest weakness): no interesting new moves, ridiculously high-damage attacks and unbelievable defense/regeneration. He's an utterly boring character to play as apart from the fact that you can make phantom swords as often as you like (which, given the way Vergil works, shouldn't be very hard to do during normal combat anyway).
To each his own. I enjoyed playing as Nelo very much.

Dahbomb

badcrumble said:
Vergil's Nelo DT was still far superior to Dante's DMC3 DT game play wise. It didn't add anything substantial at all. But let's just not talk about DMC3SE anymore...

I am going to wait until someone plays the ENTIRE game (as in beat HOH mode) and then post an entire list of content for me to judge how DMC4 ranks. Right now I will not be giving it more than a 9 if I had to seriously review it because I believe it has a significant lack of content (bosses, weapons, unlockables etc.). Significant enough that it falters below that of the previous game which was on an inferior console. The good thing is that Nero has a lot of cool abilities that I am hoping cover for any inadequacies in the game.

Tiduz said:
Nero has Sparda's blood, so thats kinda his son i guess? :lol
Wait, what? How does that work out without him being his son or something? Don't tell me it's something stupid like Nero's possession re-encode's his DNA... RE... no seriously, explain this idiocy to me.
By the way, not many fans are at all pissed at the story like Dave would like you to believe BUT EVERYONE IS majorly pissed at the lack of content in DMC4, me especially. I have to say that we as fans got OWNED big time if this information ends up being true. We were promised at least 12 weapons, know we are learning that we might not get 10 even (DMC3SE had 12 weapons btw). Then this whole lack of bosses thing.... URGH.
There are certain abilities Nero gains that let's him use the enemies as weapons, like in some of the videos where we see him grab one of those flying enemies and they turn into a giant sword you can throw; I'm bettin they were counting those weapons, as well.

Dahbomb

Mefisutoferesu said:
There are certain abilities Nero gains that let's him use the enemies as weapons, like in some of the videos where we see him grab one of those flying enemies and they turn into a giant sword you can throw; I'm bettin they were counting those weapons, as well.
Thats Nero's Gyro Blade ability, he achieves it from Berial. It's not a weapon.

That's like saying the Buster is a Beowulf-like weapon for Nero. If that's the case then you can extend the weapon list into like 20+ if you say that the Pandorra's Box is really 7 weapons in one. :lol

MechaX

Dahbomb said:
If that's the case then you can extend the weapon list into like 20+ if you say that the Pandorra's Box is really 7 weapons in one. :lol

Which was probably Capcom's intention, I bet.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Mefisutoferesu said:
Wait, what? How does that work out without him being his son or something? Don't tell me it's something stupid like Nero's possession re-encode's his DNA... RE... no seriously, explain this idiocy to me.

I really dont know, i saw 1 minute of the last boss cutscene and he literally said something along the lines of:
I was planning on absorbing Dante, but i cannot underestimate you, after all, You do have the blood of sparda.

Dahbomb

MechaX said:
Which was probably Capcom's intention, I bet.
That 12 weapon quote came from a German review. It wasn't from Capcom. Capcom never said a particular quote concerning weapons other than that DMC4 will have the most weapons in a DMC game yet.

Top Bottom