• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

IF AND ONLY IF the boss fights in this game are all really well designed, I'm fine with the repetition among them. Sorry to go back to DMC3 again, but in that game, Gigapede, Leviathan's Heart, Geryon, Lady, Doppelganger, the chess board, Arkham, and Jester aren't particularly very good boss battles. So if all of the boss fights in this are of the caliber of Phantom, Cerberus, Agni&Rudra, Nevan, Beowulf, and all the Vergil fights in DMC1 and 3, I'll be more than happy. The normal enemy design in this game seems to be a step up from DMC3 (though I'll miss the Hell Vanguard a whole lot), so I'm hoping that the same extends to its boss fights.

As for the arsenal (or lack thereof), I'm not sure what to think. I'm really, really happy with style switching, the Devil Bringer (juggling!!) and Exceed, not to mention both characters' DTs look fucking amazing. Lucifer looks like a pretty interesting and unique weapon. I don't really miss any of the firearms from the previous game, but I'll definitely miss having such a large and versatile set of weapons. Time will tell if Lucifer will be as fun or unique as Nevan was, but it'd be loads of fun (and ridiculously awesome fanservice) to have the double-swords, nunchucks, and guitar back in the game, not to mention giving them new DT moves.

Much of this will be forgiven if they replace DT Explosion with some kind of weapon-specific move, thus making it possible to do Million Orb. :D

Dahbomb said:
Thats Nero's Gyro Blade ability, he achieves it from Berial. It's not a weapon.

That's like saying the Buster is a Beowulf-like weapon for Nero. If that's the case then you can extend the weapon list into like 20+ if you say that the Pandorra's Box is really 7 weapons in one. :lol
Hey, now, it was just a thought, and I was under the impression that it was 1 boss item gain for 1 enemy transformation, so... well, anyway, sorry. Ummm... let's see 3 others... maybe Nelo Angelo's sword could be one...

EDIT::
Dahbomb said:
That 12 weapon quote came from a German review. It wasn't from Capcom. Capcom never said a particular quote concerning weapons other than that DMC4 will have the most weapons in a DMC game yet.
... or not.

Tiduz said:
I really dont know, i saw 1 minute of the last boss cutscene and he literally said something along the lines of:
I was planning on absorbing Dante, but i cannot underestimate you, after all, You do have the blood of sparda.
:| Thanks, Tiduz.

Dahbomb

Mefisutoferesu said:
Hey, now, it was just a thought, and I was under the impression that it was 1 boss item gain for 1 enemy transformation, so... well, anyway, sorry. Ummm... let's see 3 others... maybe Nelo Angelo's sword could be one...
You do actually gain stuff from beating bosses every time (until the 3rd time around I guess). First time when you fight the bosses you get abilities for Nero (ie. Nero gets Gyro Blade from Berial and a technique which allows him to find hidden objects in the environments from Berial). Second time you fight them you get weapons for Dante (Berial = Lucifer, Echidna = Gilgamesh, Bael = Pandorra's Box). I haven't seen the other boss fights but I expect them to follow suite to some degree. You should always get something for defeating a boss, whether it be an ability or a weapon.

Dahbomb

Unlockables:

Beating Human gives you The history of DMC video, Game Clear Art: The Two Heroes and a set of 29 character images.

Beating Devil Hunter gives you all the same as above plus Game Clear Art: The cast, Son Of Sparda mode and the bloody palace.

Beating Son of Sparda mode gives you Bonus Clear Art: The Demons, 12 Publicity pictures, DMD mode, HOH mode.

*While Son Of Sparda mode is essentially hard mode there is one change. In order to progress to the next level you MUST get at least an A rank.

Beating DMD gives you Game Clear Bonus Art: Demon Invasion, Hell and Hell mode, Super Nero and Super Dante.

Heaven or Hell mode gives you Bonus Art: The ladies of DMC,

Hell and hell mode gives you Bonus art: Light from the Demon Blade.

*H&H is basically you die in one hit but the enemies don't.

Oh and BLOODY PALACE IS DIFFERENT FROM BEFORE!!!!

Bloody Palace is in it and it's a little different. 101 floors, Dante or Nero, time limits, rankings.

Dahbomb

Bloody Palace:
Bloody Palace is a battle arena mode similar to the same bonus mdoe from DMC3 SE. The player battles through 101 stages, the player can choose to play it as Nero Super Nero, Dante or Super Dante in Normal or automatic mode.

When you enter enemies appear, defeat them to open a portal to the next arena. New to the palace is a time which counts down during the fight if it reaches zero it's game over. Defeating enemies gives you a small time bonus. Bonuses are also awared for clearing a stage while suffering no damage and by killing enemies with a stlyish rank.

Every 10 stages there is a boss, at stages 10, 30, 50, 70, 90 the enemies are grouped difficulty enough to be considered bosses. Stage 99 is also done in this manner. in stages 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 you fight story bosses like Berial.

Stage 101 is Dante in quote "His most powerful and dangerous form" So I'm assuming Dted dante at 101. If you're playing as Dante you fight an evil shadow Dante (kinda like the Red Vergil I'm assuming).

It's basically the same as the original only now you don't have a "Skip 100 levels option" which means that you have the same number of levels you have to face in the original only now with a better construction overall with rankings and stuff.

Abilities for Nero

Evil Legacy: Mission 02---Grim Grip/Snatch

Anima Mercury: Mission 03--- Allows usage of Gyro Blades

Rusalka Corpse: Mission04--- when Nero nears secrets such as Blue Orb fragments red orb caches, secret missions the Devil Bringer will glow and make a ringing noise.

Wing talisman: Mission 05---Allows usage of Air Hike.

Sephirothic fruit: Mission07---Allows user to destroy tree roots blocking your path

Aegis Shield: Mission 08---Allow Nero to pick up and hold smaller enemies using them as a shield.

Key of Cronus: Mission 09---By examining or striking certain objects Nero and Dante can slow time...mostly for puzzles. ala Quicksilver

Dahbomb

Do you guys want me to post the boss list as well? It's pretty underwhelming though. :lol

What's cool though is some of Nero's moves like Shuffle and Showdown. Definitely new stuff in terms of mechanics and even inputs.

Another cool thing is Dante's new move with Royal Guard that combines with DT called Dreadnaught.

hteng

Banned
so many people are gonna be disappointed when they read that IGN thread, either way i think its still a fun game, surely a 9/10 game for me

Dahbomb

Dante gets two new Trickster moves: Mustang and Flipper.

Also the strategy guide says that even though the bosses are replayed a few times, the enemy list definitely eclipses DMC3's in terms of quality. It is very promising to say the least.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
hteng said:
so many people are gonna be disappointed when they read that IGN thread, either way i think its still a fun game, surely a 9/10 game for me
Dissapointed at what? Some hardcore nerds hating on a game because it's not what they wanted? Fuck them. I am drunk on Stella Artois and even I know that Devil May Cry 4 is going to be amazing and awesome.

Dahbomb

Pedobear said:
Dissapointed at what? Some hardcore nerds hating on a game because it's not what they wanted? Fuck them. I am drunk on Stella Artois and even I know that Devil May Cry 4 is going to be amazing and awesome.
It's only a sign of things to come here on GAF when people realize they have to fight a certain boss... 4 times. :lol

That is DMC1 levels of insanity if you ask me. Not to mention the weapon list and unlockables are well... underwhelming in their own right. Underwhelming in the sense of what the series had accomplished up to know in terms of delivering content. I don't think these things should be overlooked that easily especially if you are a fan. Now if this is your first DMC game then well... none of this would matter at all.

TheCardPlayer

Dahbomb said:
It's only a sign of things to come here on GAF when people realize they have to fight a certain boss... 4 times. :lol

That is DMC1 levels of insanity if you ask me. Not to mention the weapon list and unlockables are well... underwhelming in their own right. Underwhelming in the sense of what the series had accomplished up to know in terms of delivering content. I don't think these things should be overlooked that easily especially if you are a fan. Now if this is your first DMC game then well... none of this would matter at all.
You are Aptom right? People are calling you on IGN, trying to convince you that DMC4 sucks because of their hilarous nerd fantasies.

Like I said, fuck these tools. DMC 4 is gonna be the one game to conquer all. I love beer, I love Trish and Lady. TrishXLady for the win.

I want this game now lol.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Lostconfused said:
Ok seriously lack of unlockable costumes just makes me think that its going to be dlc

There will be no DLC. Kobayashi stated he thinks the game has enough content and doesnt need dlc. Rough Translation: WAIT TILL DMC5 BITCHES muhahaha.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
WrikaWrek said:
Is there an easy option or something?

There is. Its available right from the start.

Oh, and I just saw the video Tiduz saw LOL. If thats mid game, then, you have a pretty decent amount of ground to cover. Dante is ultra badass incarnate. Nero's no slouch either, when it comes to shit talking. lol

Damn...I want this game now. :( Damned capcom taking forever with the pc version...

Dahbomb

Pedobear said:
You are Aptom right? People are calling you on IGN, trying to convince you that DMC4 sucks because of their hilarous nerd fantasies.

Like I said, fuck these tools. DMC 4 is gonna be the one game to conquer all. I love beer, I love Trish and Lady. TrishXLady for the win.

I want this game now lol.
Fuck yes I am Aptom but I do see their view and I have already made my mental breakdown post in that thread to get with the mood. In reality, none of this information makes DMC4 dip anywhere below a 9 IMO in terms of overall quality. That stuff really only impacts you if you are a hardcore fan (like me) but if this is like your casual first or second DMC then it doesn't really matter. The game owns. Period.

Am I disappointed that there aren't as many weapons as they were in DMC3? Yes I am.

Am I disappointed that I have to replay boss fights in DMC4 like it was with DMC1? Yes I am but as long as the boss fights deliver and are different each time around I am willing to look past this.

Am I disappointed overall in the game? No because I believe between stuff like OTF weapon switch, Devil Trigger mechanics, Nero's mechanics, the graphics, the brilliant choreography of the cutscenes and the online ranking structure this game could easily be the best DMC yet.

DMC4 just isn't going to be the END ALL action game that most hardcore fans thought it was going to be. That's all.

Yes, it's called Human mode. I made a post about in the OP.

TheCardPlayer

The only thing that pisses me off is no Vergil. Vergil is awesome enough that he needs a spinoff.

Other than that, this game is WIN!

Dahbomb

He is Nero's devil form if you look close enough. He is technically in the game and his influence makes a great impact upon the story, whether it be the Yamato sword or the essence of Nelo Angelo itself.

Just see my avatar.

Mrbob

Fighting the same boss 4 times? Ugh. From the spoilers Ive read it doesnt seem like dmc4 will be as good as dm3 se. Oh well itll still be fun.

WrikaWrek said:

Only for the dmc4 version.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really wish I could post impressions right now. I have the game, but I'm at work, and left the game to install before leaving.

I can post some impressions once I get home tonight, but I can't promise No More Heroes won't suck up all my time tonight.

Dahbomb

thetrin said:
I really wish I could post impressions right now. I have the game, but I'm at work, and left the game to install before leaving.

I can post some impressions once I get home tonight, but I can't promise No More Heroes won't suck up all my time tonight.
Hell yes! Time to get this stuff rolling.

Also NO Human mode impressions. :lol

Stuff to emphasize:

What moves are available for upgrade/purchase.
Story related cutscenes, write it all just mark spoilers.
Difficulty is very important.
Enemy AI and variety.
Stuff that you do when not in combat.
A small bit about the graphics though I think most people know by now that it owns visually.

Anything you find curious or hasn't been discussed is also very welcome. In fact just posting how much the game OWNS will get this thread rolling as well. :lol

maskrider

The required amount of proud souls/demon blood per upgrade/item will increase after each purchase, ha ha !

I usually play in easy to walk through the story first (at least I'm not spoiled yet), then harder difficulties.

dmc4ps3-mm-dante.jpg

dmc4ps3-ctlopt-dante.jpg

Dahbomb

maskrider said:
The required amount of proud souls/demon blood per upgrade/item will increase after each purchase, ha ha !
Only because they start off so dirt cheap to begin with. I can however see this being a nuisance when you are trying to finish off your skills set and you have like 2 moves @ 20,000 each remaining.

Also you played through half of the game, can you describe to me some elements of the Nero's DT? I am interested in those Yamato upgrades as well.

Holy shit Dahbomb.

Calm the fuck down.

The amount of the weapons doesn't matter, the depth, usage and range of them is far more important.

Furthermore, because you can switch weapons on the fly, the forms of each individual weapon becomes much more versatile in itself because you can swap between lets say gunslinger and swordmaster.

Goddamn chill the fuck out. "OMG, OMG, OMG, DMC3 had 13 weapons, DMC4 has 12 -- OMG I shall commit suicide.'

Seriously, calm the fuck down. It's interesting how the people that have the game aren't the ones complaining, but some over-antsy fanboy tripping the fuck out who doesn't even have the game :lol

maskrider

Dahbomb said:
Only because they start off so dirt cheap to begin with. I can however see this being a nuisance when you are trying to finish off your skills set and you have like 2 moves @ 20,000 each remaining.

Also you played through half of the game, can you describe to me some elements of the Nero's DT? I am interested in those Yamato upgrades as well.

Couldn't help much since I don't know much about Yamato as I haven't played through DMC3 yet (have DMC3SE but no time playing it yet), and I didn't use it much except when I accidentally pressed L1. And Human mode is probably too easy (much easier than the demo) that you don't need to use it at all (for a beginner in DMC like me, I haven't died so far, on other action games like Ninja Gaiden Sigma, I did got up to half of the game in Master Ninja).

For Yamato's upgrade, I have so little Proud Souls that Nero's Yamato is completely original, ha ha !

Kyoufu

Dahbomb said:
Vergil doesn't have a bigger moveset than Nero at all, in fact Nero has the obvious edge. And I don't feel like taking this argument any further until someone I know who is an actual fan plays through all of the difficulties and confirms the complete unlockable list. I have a feeling we are missing stuff like a Vergil's skin.

Yeah I was thinking about that. It wouldn't surprise me if Dante got it (he uses Dark Slayer and Yamato right?)

Also I'm a little confused, do Dante AND Nero get Yamato?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Kyoufu said:
Yeah I was thinking about that. It wouldn't surprise me if Dante got it (he uses Dark Slayer and Yamato right?)

Also I'm a little confused, do Dante AND Nero get Yamato?

Yes.

Also, the upgrade to the shadowy looking things that floats around, has a moveset that reminds me of that annoying Red Sin Scythe from DMC1. Secret mission 7 is ridiculous. Probably wouldn't seem that difficult, if the guy did nero's uber stuff, but, lol nonetheless. One of the cloudy things seemed to one hit ko him, with some type of charge move. lol

maskrider

For those who wonder about 1080i/p support, I have just tried and the answer is negative. Both modes are not supported on my Japanese version.

It sends 576p (I think depends on the display, may be the next best mode) to my monitor with only either 1080i or 1080p checked in the modes list (480p sure is there).

Defuser

Luckily I leave in South East Asia, The R3 DMC4 comes out the same day as Japan,so I snagged myself a copy!! :lol

noitep.jpg

And inside has a awesome advertisement slip!!

11cd0qw.jpg

maskrider said:
For those who wonder about 1080i/p support, I have just tried and the answer is negative. Both modes are not supported on my Japanese version.

It sends 576p (I think depends on the display, may be the next best mode) to my monitor with only either 1080i or 1080p checked in the modes list (480p sure is there).

So the game doesnt support 1080i/p support? My friend is going to be a little dissapointed.

sinnergy

Toonami 99 said:
So the game doesnt support 1080i/p support? My friend is going to be a little dissapointed.

I wonder why? I mean Uncharted and other games have it. Or is this framework engine not suited for this?

I also blame Sony for making a half assed scaling option, unlike MS which seems to have made the right decision.

Yama

sinnergy said:
I wonder why? I mean Uncharted and other games have it. Or is this framework engine not suited for this?

I also blame Sony for making a half assed scaling option, unlike MS which seems to have made the right decision.
1080i, not 1080p... right? Because Uncharted only runs at 720p on my 1080p Bravia.

Feindflug

maskrider said:

OK then it's 360 version for me - is it that hard for the devs to add 1080i/p support?

Oh and btw PAL Uncharted was only 720p... :/

sinnergy

Feindflug said:
OK then it's 360 version for me - is it that hard for the devs to add 1080i/p support?

Oh and btw PAL Uncharted was only 720p... :/

After I read this I tested my Uncharted PAL copy, runs 1080i here, mate ;)

Top Bottom