• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The best part with the poster is where it says:

PC DVD-ROM
Coming Soon

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This is my first DMC game that Ive played very extensively at all. I understand the demo is on super easy, so I'm fine with that..

but it seems like you do an awfull lot of walking around without fighting compared to most action games. It just seems enemy encounters are pretty sparse. I'm having fun with it, but is this par for the course in the games?

maskrider

Completed Human in one go, maybe too easy.

I am a bit disappointed that
Trish and Lady are cameo
, hope they can be unlocked somehow.

Need to stop and get back to work.

ezekial45

Banned
maskrider said:
Completed Human in one go, maybe too easy.

I am a bit disappointed that
Trish and Lady are cameo
, hope they can be unlocked somehow.

Need to stop and get back to work.

Thats what the Devil Hunter difficulty is for.

How did you like the game overall?

maskrider

ezekial45 said:
Thats what the Devil Hunter difficulty is for.

How did you like the game overall?

Platforming are ok, not too much and not too complex for an action game like DMC.

Nero's devil arm is a bit too strong IMHO.

Almost all of the puzzles are easy and obvious ones, except a portal type stage. There are also 2 locations that depend solely on luck, you roll a dice to get to some location.

I like the character designs, the boss designs are also fine IMHO, not overly done nor underwhelming.

And story, it is just another abuse demonic power to rule the world type of story.

I think the game and locales are rather interesting, haven't played much of the side quests (missions) yet, have to be later.

ElyrionX

With a fully upgraded Nero, what attacking options does he get with his Devil Bringer?

Since Nero cannot do real-time weapon switching, does his combat gameplay become a bit stale by end-game, especially compared to Dante?

does anyone know if there is a check point system in bloody palace this time around? I dont have the time to go through 101 levels in one go.

Elios83

maskrider said:
Platforming are ok, not too much and not too complex for an action game like DMC.

Almost all of the puzzles are easy and obvious ones, except a portal type stage. There are also 2 locations that depend solely on luck, you roll a dice to get to some location.

I like the character designs, the boss designs are also fine IMHO, not overly done nor underwhelming.

And story, it is just another abuse demonic power to rule the world type of story.

I think the game and locales are rather interesting, haven't played much of the side quests (missions) yet, have to be later.

What about the environments and artstyle through the game?
DMC4 seems to have many inspired locations, gothic castles as in the first game which is a huge positive thing to me.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
shintoki said:
Where do you get the DMC Posters at...I really want one =[
I've got contacts in a video game store in Sweden ;)

maskrider

ElyrionX said:
With a fully upgraded Nero, what attacking options does he get with his Devil Bringer?

Since Nero cannot do real-time weapon switching, does his combat gameplay become a bit stale by end-game, especially compared to Dante?

I haven't been able to upgrade him fully. But I tend to use only a couple of attacks when I use him. And for sure Dante has so many options that you can play around with, I mostly use Sword and sometimes Gilgamesh.

The final bosses (for the characters) is a bit too straight forward IMHO, a bit waste on the design, I thought the modes of attack will be more varied.

Elios83 said:
What about the environments and artstyle through the game?
DMC4 seems to have many inspired locations, gothic castles as in the first game which is a huge positive thing to me.

Other than saying the environment looks good, I couldn't pull any more words on that as I haven't paid much attention on the detail of the environment than the detail required to get through the game and know about the story and the bosses.
You will backtrack all the way to the town you start off.

I' sure other players will give you a better answer.

Zzoram

I read the tutorial in this thread, but I still can't do combos or proper revs and stuff. I'm so bad at this game, it's intimidating. Maybe there is something easier I should learn first?

Yoshichan

Rimshot said:
Ah, I had that ordered but canceled it since the art was cooler on the PAL version :) I think I pasted the box art way earlier in this thread.
You'll probably get it before me too :(

Rimshot

Seiken said:
You'll probably get it before me too :(

I do hope so :) Since boxoffice usually takes 14 days on it, and more if stuck in customs as it usually gets now days since they started writing the price on the envelopes :( Tards they are!

Kyoufu

Rimshot said:
I do hope so :) Since boxoffice usually takes 14 days on it, and more if stuck in customs as it usually gets now days since they started writing the price on the envelopes :( Tards they are!

DMC4 deserved courier shipping :p

Yoshichan

Rimshot said:
Really, it's a pity that's my only choice right now... I've got no money :(

Rimshot

Kyoufu said:
DMC4 deserved courier shipping :p

That's why I ordered it from Swe since I live here, delivery day before the release :)

Seiken said:
Really, it's a pity that's my only choice right now... I've got no money :(

The collectors edition for 360 costs 500 SEK in Swe so it's pretty much the same as ordering it from boxoffice. I payed 600 SEK for the Ps3 version that's quite a lot though :/ (96 dollars)

Yoshichan

Rimshot said:
The collectors edition for 360 costs 500 SEK in Swe so it's pretty much the same as ordering it from boxoffice. I payed 600 SEK for the Ps3 version that's quite a lot though :/ (96 dollars)
What :(? The PS3 CE costs 700 SEK in GAME (Orebro) :(

Zzoram said:
I read the tutorial in this thread, but I still can't do combos or proper revs and stuff. I'm so bad at this game, it's intimidating. Maybe there is something easier I should learn first?

what problem are you having with the combos? Is it mixing them up to increase your style?

The reving is a mix of rythem and visual. Special moves are easy to spot, but combos are mostly rythem. When you attack an enemy you will see flashs of gold, thats your visual quoue to IR, but with out some rythem your most likly to miss the timing.

Yoshichan

Kyoufu said:
YesAsia sells the US CE for 160 mothereffin dollars. I'm scratching my head here.
What the fuck?
Rimshot said:
I ordered mine from Clickshop.se
Damn... I guess it's too late now :(

ezekial45

Banned
maskrider said:

Sounds pretty normal to me. Is this your first DMC? If it is then try it on the higher difficulties.

maskrider

ezekial45 said:
Sounds pretty normal to me. Is this your first DMC? If it is then try it on the higher difficulties.

The first really played DMC, I have DMC1-3(SE) but they hadn't left their boxes so many times. Ha ha !

ezekial45

Banned
maskrider said:
The first really played DMC, I have DMC1-3(SE) but they hadn't left the box so much. Ha ha !

Judging from DMC 1 and 3, the game really changes when it's played on the higher difficulties. You'll probably enjoy it a lot more.

gconsole

I'm in mission 5 now. One thing I can say is about the game setting which is very first DMC-ish. Plus the combat system of DMC3. DMC4 is like DMC1+3 combo set in one package. Can't talk much about the story but the rest element of the game (from what I can see rightnow) is super fine.

- Gameplay is fun and deep.
- Enemy is creative enough (for challenging purpose)
- Stage design is very first DMC-ish but more vary.
- Soundtrack is a lot mixing from DMC1 and 3.
- Puzzle is ... hmm a bit wierd in some places.
- Devil Hunter mode is not that difficult (FYI, I'm not good at action game).
- Graphic is gorgeus. It's at beutiful level in game but OMG level in the cut-scene. It's not Gears of War but just because of the different in art direction. Everything is so clean and sharp. I feel like this is the Final Fantasy of action game. I won't say it's the best graphic I have ever seen (because it is not). But surely be among the best in our industry and its genre. Prop to capcom framework engine or whatever name it is.
- Framerate drop a bit sometime (only in the cut-scene) but not bad or destroy your experience. Almost scene I saw run at 60 FPS if my eye were right.
- Animation is very very smooth. You hardcore action gamer will be pleased with this one. To be honest, I feel like DMC4 animation is something opposite to HS. I barely be able to play that game mostly from its bad animation and control (sorry HS fan).

At this point i'm quite please with the game. Can't wait to see what it deliver in the later stage.

Tr4nce

Ok, I have a question:

I just downloaded the demo from the PS Store, and I'm really loving it so far, it's also the first DMC I'm playing. Cool graphics, very nice gameplay and the fighting system holds up really well. My question:

What does the L2 button do? Didn't see it explained in the demo control scheme screen.

maskrider said:
For those who wonder about 1080i/p support, I have just tried and the answer is negative. Both modes are not supported on my Japanese version.

It sends 576p (I think depends on the display, may be the next best mode) to my monitor with only either 1080i or 1080p checked in the modes list (480p sure is there).

that fucking sucks. dahbomb needs to edit the OP to let people know this.

Dave1988

img310562gr6368.jpg

Wow.

Kyoufu

Blablurn said:
wow, awesome. i guess i'm going to buy it now

The usual import sites have sold out on the PS3 version :(

I forgot to pre-order, so I'm going to have to get the US collector's edition...

SPEA

Saw this over at TeamXbox
lol
. Supposedly, OXM gave it a 7.5/10.

DMC4:
+ Fast, meaty, satisfying fighting action, particularly against the tougher bosses.
+ Beautiful graphics with a level of detail that's still rare.
- Backtracking through the entire game? Thanks but no thanks.
? Why the archaic switch puzzles?

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=566704

Blablurn

Kyoufu said:
I don't see the point tbh. Comes out same time as the US version. Might aswell just get the CE for the same price.

the point is i'm from germany and the game will cost about 70€ here. and i'm not that big into DMC to spend 30€ more on this game :<

MechaX

SPEA said:
Saw this over at TeamXbox
lol
. Supposedly, OXM gave it a 7.5/10.

DMC4:
+ Fast, meaty, satisfying fighting action, particularly against the tougher bosses.
+ Beautiful graphics with a level of detail that's still rare.
- Backtracking through the entire game? Thanks but no thanks.
? Why the archaic switch puzzles?

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=566704

Wow. DMC4 has been getting slammed for backtracking throughout every single review yet.

It won't affect my purchase, but I'll have to play it for myself to see how bad it really gets.

Top Bottom