• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Kyoufu said:
The DMC1 summary during the installation is basically confirming that Vergil is dead :(

I'm going to need a moment alone here..

Dude no one ever really dies they can find some way to bring his ass back! BELIEVE!

Mamesj

Banned
Kyoufu said:
The DMC1 summary during the installation is basically confirming that Vergil is dead :(

I'm going to need a moment alone here..

I don't think this a series that's really bound by life and death. The narrative isn't exactly fragile :lol

Stillmatic

IGN AU have their review up.

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/849/849042p1.html

8.5 Presentation
A natural evolution from previous games, the menus guide you through skills and upgrades while the game has a cohesive look throughout.
9.0 Graphics
Wonderous and consistent, it makes the PS3 sing. It's only let down by strange shadow rendering and a slightly dodgy camera system.
8.0 Sound
Some of the better voice-acting around, but definitely still hokey. Musically, it's very similar to past efforts during intense moments, and the classical score is excellent.
9.0 Gameplay
Tight, tight, tight. The combat is at the top of its game in number four, reminding us of why there are so many imitators.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
The adventure will take you a good 15 hours on the first run through, though there are secret extras we can't talk about that will bump it up further. Shhhhh.
Great OVERALL

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I downloaded it on XBL last night and just played it through after work. I have to say, I really liked it. I loved that boss battle against the giant fire thing.

I never played DMC3, just 1 and 2. I don't think I actually finished 2 anyway.b I will be picking this up as soon as I see a copy.

Stillmatic said:

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/849/849042p1.html

8.5 Presentation
A natural evolution from previous games, the menus guide you through skills and upgrades while the game has a cohesive look throughout.
9.0 Graphics
Wonderous and consistent, it makes the PS3 sing. It's only let down by strange shadow rendering and a slightly dodgy camera system.
8.0 Sound
Some of the better voice-acting around, but definitely still hokey. Musically, it's very similar to past efforts during intense moments, and the classical score is excellent.
9.0 Gameplay
Tight, tight, tight. The combat is at the top of its game in number four, reminding us of why there are so many imitators.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
The adventure will take you a good 15 hours on the first run through, though there are secret extras we can't talk about that will bump it up further. Shhhhh.
Great OVERALL

Why can Australia IGN and not USA? IGN post a review?

Anyway, great score! I expect IGN "USA" to be a bit higher considering PAL reviewers have never really given DMC games their fair shake of 9's and up.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Demo failed to excite me. Both graphically and gameplay wise.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
rocksolidaudio said:
nice stealth edit ;-)

Assuming you're Shane, is retreading through all the environments as Dante as bad as it's being described as in all the reviews? I guess what I'm getting at is, are there any differences in the level structures -- where you go, which paths you take -- when you return to the all of them with Dante or are they EXACTLY the same as Nero's...but backwards (playing from the end to the beginning)?

When you submit a user opinion at 1up, pre - release, it's listed as a 0. That 0 gets averaged in, so all the 0's from all the previews of DMC4 since it's unveiling in 2005 gets averaged in. It's odd, indeed.

And I'm still surprised Milkman didn't do the review - he's done them all. Kind of hard to make a comparison with DMC3:SE to DMC4 since it's different reviewers.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
C- Warrior said:
When you submit a user opinion at 1up, pre - release, it's listed as a 0. That 0 gets averaged in, so all the 0's from all the previews of DMC4 since it's unveiling in 2005 gets averaged in. It's odd, indeed.

And I'm still surprised Milkman didn't do the review - he's done them all. Kind of hard to make a comparison with DMC3:SE to DMC4 since it's different reviewers.

Let's look at this....

We know that EGM awarded the title a triumverate of 7.5, 8.5, and 9.0. Knowing that Shane wrote the 8.5 review (assuming that the review posted on 1UP is an expanded form of the lead EGM review), this means James Mielke wrote either the 7.5 or 9.0 reviews. I'm going to wager he wrote the 9.0 one, which means there was one particular staffer who did not find the game to be as glorious as the others did.

antiloop

979_0001.jpg

Can totally see this outfit becoming fashionable IRL. :lol

dirtmonkey37 said:
Let's look at this....

We know that EGM awarded the title a triumverate of 7.5, 8.5, and 9.0. Knowing that Shane wrote the 8.5 review (assuming that the review posted on 1UP is an expanded form of the lead EGM review), this means James Mielke wrote either the 7.5 or 9.0 reviews. I'm going to wager he wrote the 9.0 one, which means there was one particular staffer who did not find the game to be as glorious as the others did.

not sure where you're getting your scores from...

but no, i am not shane. nick suttner, associate reviews editor, former intern. pleased to meet ya.

rocksolidaudio said:
not sure where you're getting your scores from...

but no, i am not shane. nick suttner, associate reviews editor, former intern. pleased to meet ya.

So, why didn't Milkman post his review? He's done all the previous DMC games for 1up, previews, interviews, reviews, blogs about it etc.

Kind of odd considering he's Executive editor at 1up. It's kind of annoying since he gave DMC3:SE a particular score, it'd be easy to juxtapose DMC4 with that, but with a different reviewer such comparisons can't be made.

C- Warrior said:
So, why didn't Milkman post his review? He's done all the previous DMC games for 1up, previews, interviews, reviews, blogs about it etc.

Kind of odd considering he's Executive editor at 1up. It's kind of annoying since he gave DMC3:SE a particular score, it'd be easy to juxtapose DMC4 with that, but with a different reviewer such comparisons can't be made.

the big egm reviewer always does the 1UP review too. it's not a seniority thing, or any weird arcane system. he just didn't do the big on this one, so you'll have to check out EGM for his take.

ElyrionX

Stillmatic said:

Can this possibly be something not found in the strategy guide or not revealed online yet?

burgerdog

IGN AU
"
The Exceed System, the system behind revving Nero's sword, can be ignored almost completely. By the point where you take up control of Dante, it's almost an afterthought alone, since there are plenty of superior abilities at your disposal."

:lol

Afterthought? Come on.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Exceed isn't worth using, in other words? What fucking bullshit is this? I'd really like to know if they're even trying to get stylish points on their review-run. Because Ex = Style

burgerdog said:
IGN AU
"
The Exceed System, the system behind revving Nero's sword, can be ignored almost completely. By the point where you take up control of Dante, it's almost an afterthought alone, since there are plenty of superior abilities at your disposal."

:lol

Afterthought? Come on.

Props to Shane for picking up on it. Just-EX is the crutch of Nero's combat.

Interestingly enough, Shane made no mention of DMC4 being too hard, the Australian IGN review however did. Goes to show that using the exceed system gives the offensive edge to Nero. Thereby indicating it to be very useful.

Mugen

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Props to Shane for picking up on it. Just-EX is the crutch of Nero's combat.

Interestingly enough, Shane made no mention of DMC4 being too hard, the Australian IGN review however did. Goes to show that using the exceed system gives the offensive edge to Nero. Thereby indicating it to be very useful.

You realize that Shane is saying the Just-Ex is bs right?

dralla

ok so I keep hearing about replaying through levels with Dante, does that mean there are only 10 levels in the game and you play each one as Nero and Dante? or do you only re-play certain missions with Dante? He's going to have his own exclusive levels, right?

Defuser

Im already in 10 missions,it seems like Nero story is almost over. damn,each missions have a new demon and those demon seem to be leader of the lesser demons.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Defuser said:
Im already in 10 missions,it seems like Nero story is almost over. damn,each missions have a new demon and those demon seem to be leader of the lesser demons.

and and, did you like nero's part and the gameplay etc? :eek:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sigh... I still don't understand why I'm reading this topic.

Defuser

Tiduz said:
and and, did you like nero's part and the gameplay etc? :eek:
Considering I been using the same weapon and gun throughout those 10 missions with very meh/useless upgrades. It's quite alright sometimes repetitive but new enemies keeps me busy for a while.

Narcosis

Wait.....a reviewer said Nero's exceed was an afterthought? :lol

This is proof of reviewers not knowing how to properly play the game, I'm assuming they probably play this the same way they play Dynasty warriors: mash, mash, mash

scoobs

Am I the only one that finds Nero's EX gauge incredibly hard to use effectively? The insta-exceed thing is ridiculously hard to keep track of for me atleast.

Top Bottom