• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
C- Warrior said:
I've seen some cutscenes.

What does the (/\) display off (-) exit icons that appear at the start of every cutscene signify?

Those appear when you see cutscenes in the movie theater. Exit icon is for er... exit, while "Display off" is to remove that text.

Btw, I'm liking the game thus far but man does it have the worst global shadowing I've ever seen in a "next gen" game. This pics are from the forest level:

v5bia1.jpg

2nqxztj.jpg

ny6vsn.jpg

67t7d3.jpg

Why did they even bother going the real time shadowing route is seriously beyond me.

[Nintex]

Jirotrom said:
Hey guys... can you answer me this one question... Are the cutscenes in this game like the ones in DMC3?
Nero can reload by throwing his gun in the air so it catches the bullets.
That should answer your question.

Mamesj

Banned
MechaX said:
Wow. DMC4 has been getting slammed for backtracking throughout every single review yet.

It won't affect my purchase, but I'll have to play it for myself to see how bad it really gets.

No problem as long as the backtracking is remixed. same reason I bought Ninja Gaiden three times on day 1 for each :lol

Going to sound like a strange question... but is anyone playing this on an SDTV yet? I've heard that it gets real jerky for some reason.

So who is going to get this on Xbox and who is getting it for PS3?

I really feel like the game should be played on the Playstation (as it always has been) but on the other hand I want to support Capcom on Xbox.

Mrbob

Wow reviewers a bit harsh with DMC4 overall. They'll probably be super critical of NG2 too. Don't worry guys, we can have a console gaming future where everything is a damn first person shooter. Yay.

Solideliquid said:

I really feel like the game should be played on the Playstation (as it always has been) but on the other hand I want to support Capcom on Xbox.

DMC4 feels so good with the dual shock 3, but it isn't horrible with the 360 pad. I've been offered a 15 dollar payoff from one of my friends to get this game on 360 since he doesn't have a PS3! :lol I might take it! ;)

Solideliquid said:

PS3 here.

Anyway I'm having some trouble understanding the rev stuff, I've gotten the hang, sorta, of filling up the "lamps" instantaneously, but as for actually applying this to combos and whatnot... jesus. This'll take some patience.

Dave1988

PS3 Collector's Edition here. I'll have to order the damn thing from UK because no distributor in Poland is getting the CE :/

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Solideliquid said:

Playstation version CE edition. I cannot for the life of me buy it on 360, I prefer the dual shock 3 over any controller for this game.

I'm prepared

f7a04dae.jpg

Zzoram

Solideliquid said:

Given that they are nearly identical, if you have the option of both, get the cheaper one. If they are the same price, decide based on controller feel via the demo.

karasu said:
If they wanted a new lead, why did they make Nero act just like Dante!?
They wanted to replicate Dante's popularity and appeal without using Dante, because he's a Character tied to the playstation brand... or so I think they think (maybe, they want to get rid of all of Kamiya's stuff influence too). It's obviously not just a introduction for casuals to the series, it building a new main character for the generation (yes, 10 magic internet bucks say Nero is the main character in DMC5). I mean, if Capcom wanted to introduce the series to newbies AND keep the fans happy they would have done the obvious DMC0, i.e. Sparda's story, which I think we can pretty much guarantee no would complain about it. Nero is Capcom's expression of the saying, "out with the old in with the new." B-b-but Dante!! Capcom's not stupid enough to flat out get rid of the main character so suddenly the fanbase would **** **** **** them if they did, but if they have Dante as a secondary they can slowly ween us off him, and besides if they screw up they've always got Dante as safety net for the next game, which I hope they exercise.

i was all set to get the game on ps3 until i found out that it doesn't support 1080i. fucking hell.

striKeVillain! said:
Just pre-ordered from Family Video for $57.97 for DMC4 shipped UPS. Not bad.

how reliable is this place? i've only seen it posted about here on gaf.

JoeFenix

TTP said:
Why did they even bother going the real time shadowing route is seriously beyond me.

Let me be clear here, I don't want to start shit or any system wars nonsense (the fact that I need a disclaimer is pretty sad...)

So here it comes.....Which version are you playing???

That is pretty bad, I don't get why they would keep real-time shadows in when they look this bad...

Solideliquid said:

360 for me 2 reasons:
-I dont own a PS3
-After playing the demo so much on the 360 controller, the PS3 one doesnt feel quite as good, mainly because I hated the placement of the left analog stick.

My roomate is getting the PS3 version, but he might be disappointed when I tell him it doesnt support 1080i/p

Defuser said:
I read some post at Gfaqs,it seems that Bloody Palace is timed....who the hell come up with that idea?
Ya I heard about that too. I wish this was optional, but my main concern is if there are check points in Bloody Palace. I dont want to go 101 rooms in one go, and I dont want to leave the 360 on for long periods of time to continue my game.

karasu

Mefisutoferesu said:
They wanted to replicate Dante's popularity and appeal without using Dante, because he's a Character tied to the playstation brand... or so I think they think (maybe, they want to get rid of all of Kamiya's stuff influence too). It's obviously not just a introduction for casuals to the series, it building a new main character for the generation (yes, 10 magic internet bucks say Nero is the main character in DMC5). I mean, if Capcom wanted to introduce the series to newbies AND keep the fans happy they would have done the obvious DMC0, i.e. Sparda's story, which I think we can pretty much guarantee no would complain about it. Nero is Capcom's expression of the saying, "out with the old in with the new." B-b-but Dante!! Capcom's not stupid enough to flat out get rid of the main character so suddenly the fanbase would **** **** **** them if they did, but if they have Dante as a secondary they can slowly ween us off him, and besides if they screw up they've always got Dante as safety net for the next game, which I hope they exercise.

Thank you for smacking me in the face with every last one of my fears.

karasu said:
Thank you for smacking me in the face with every last one of my fears.
:(

Sorry. Umm, if it makes you feel better, there seems to be a pretty negative vibe out there for Nero, so maybe there's a half decent chance Capcom will go back to Dante...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
TTP said:
Those appear when you see cutscenes in the movie theater. Exit icon is for er... exit, while "Display off" is to remove that text.

Btw, I'm liking the game thus far but man does it have the worst global shadowing I've ever seen in a "next gen" game. This pics are from the forest level:

]http://i27.tinypic.com/v5bia1.jpg[/IMG]
]http://i31.tinypic.com/2nqxztj.jpg[/IMG]
]http://i32.tinypic.com/ny6vsn.jpg[/IMG]
]http://i25.tinypic.com/67t7d3.jpg[/IMG]

that tv looks horrible. what tv do you have? that pic looks like FF 12 for some reason.
Also, PS3 version for me

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Blablurn said:
the point is i'm from germany and the game will cost about 70€ here. and i'm not that big into DMC to spend 30€ more on this game :<

Do what I did. Go to play.com and order the LE for 46 euros.

jett

D-Member
TTP said:

http://i27.tinypic.com/v5bia1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i31.tinypic.com/2nqxztj.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i32.tinypic.com/ny6vsn.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.tinypic.com/67t7d3.jpg[IMG]

Why did they even bother going the real time shadowing route is seriously beyond me.[/QUOTE]

I've come to notice that your TV is really awesome [spoiler]at making good looking games look like shit[/spoiler]

I stayed out of this thread ever since the game came out to avoid spoilers, but I've got this wallpaper:

1080p (1920 x 1080)

And one more of Nero

The unlockables for this game are extremely disappointing. =/

NO LEGENDARY DARK KNIGHT COSTUME. WHY THE FUCK NOT?!

Also, the changes to the Bloody Palace make me a bit sad. I would've preferred that the time limit was an added option, not the standard.

Kyoufu

Blablurn said:
the point is i'm from germany and the game will cost about 70€ here. and i'm not that big into DMC to spend 30€ more on this game :<

But the CE version costs the same as the regular Asian version from YesAsia............................................wefihsolfjeofvcj

Vyse The Legend said:
The unlockables for this game are extremely disappointing. =/

NO LEGENDARY DARK KNIGHT COSTUME. WHY THE FUCK NOT?!

Also, the changes to the Bloody Palace make me a bit sad. I would've preferred that the time limit was an added option, not the standard.

Well, if it makes you feel better you can extend the time limit by killing more baddies.

EekTheKat

I think either I'm too tired or I'm too easily amused.

I :lol 'd at Gloria's (fairly big spoiler - do not highlight this
if you're remotely interested in some character details about her)
big reveal being Trish

Good game though, picked up the PS3 version (720p max only, everything's in english on an US machine).

Need to take a break before carrying on though ( I played a good 6 hours already).

None of the DMC games have had that 'kind' of replay value.

Rather, they've all had replay value that is entirely based upon the quality of the game's mechanics and upgrade system. Basically, you'll -actually- want to replay the game on higher difficulties because the enemies/bosses change, and the combat system sort of has this charm that begs to be mastered.

It's never been like, you beat DMC4, you just unlocked "Dante go-kart minigame!" Enjoy!

As for the changes of Bloody Palace, I assumed that they would 'spice' it up from DMC3:SE.

Narcosis

C- Warrior said:
It's never been like, you beat DMC4, you just unlocked "Dante go-kart minigame!"

That would be awesome now that you mention it :lol

I'd love to do some Devil Trigger stunts and violently remove the other karts from the track

C- Warrior said:
None of the DMC games have had that 'kind' of replay value.

Rather, they've all had replay value that is entirely based upon the quality of the game's mechanics and upgrade system. Basically, you'll -actually- want to replay the game on higher difficulties because the enemies/bosses change, and the combat system sort of has this charm that begs to be mastered.

It's never been like, you beat DMC4, you just unlocked "Dante go-kart minigame!" Enjoy!

As for the changes of Bloody Palace, I assumed that they would 'spice' it up from DMC3:SE.

No LDK = dumb. It has been a staple of the series since part 1.

Kyoufu said:
LDK is just a skin change, no big deal. C-Warrior is spot-on anyway.

You guys are also forgetting Pandora.

It's a universal truth that it's badass. But Dante gets it in the last 20 minutes of the game. So you can't develop it nor can you really learn it. I'd imagine a bunch of people would want to replay it via Pandora on a harder setting.

FROM GT forums:
-- it's good to know Smash Bros. didn't entirely stop people lining up for DMC4.

Hey everybody its me yet again your man in Japan. And as promised here is my preview of Devil May Cry 4. First off let me say Im typing this with out getting the actual game going yet. This is just what happened today. And some pics of the box art/booklet/Dvd/store signs etc.

Ok now with that out of the way let me say the line in the Yokohama west exit Yodobashi Camera was LONG! Damn I didnt think it would be that long but I totally forgot today was like judgment day for games here. SSBB/DMC4/Assassins Creed/Disgaea: Hour of Darkness 3/Need for Speed: Pro Street and Im sure some more stuff came out TODAY so it was a mad house. Of course I was only interested in DMC4 and from the looks of it I wasnt the only one. So I get to the counter and the guy is ringing me up and I ask him where my Special Making of DVD was since he was just putting the game in the bag. He tells me they were all out. And that there was a line of people out in front of the store since 9:30 when he got there. And the place opens at 10. He said like 200 people were ready! And they just went through em. So I didnt get a Making of DVD. BUT my boy in Chiba (thats the prefecture next to Tokyo. The same place where you would fly into if you were going to Tokyo and not Osaka) said he got one and he would give it to me! So a shout out him for the hook up. Once I go get it. So that was the adventure I had today. Here are the pics of some of the display stuff. Then Ill get into the game packaging.

This was one of the pretty big cutouts they had near the entrance of the game corner.
CA390005.jpg

Japan was showin the 360 love today I guess cus there were ads and posters for 360 games all over even the DMC4 Bundle and even a kiosk for it.
CA390003.jpg

CA390002.jpg

But this is Japan so you know Sony had to do something and the DMC4 white 40 gig bundle was also for sale and on display.
CA390004.jpg

Ok so that was all the pics I took of the stuff in the store. I was running late for a meeting so I didnt have much time to take more. And now for th moment you've all been waiting for... THE PACKAGE!

So its your standard PS3 package with really nice art inside. And a pretty good bit of instructions. As for the people interested in getting the 360 version I wish you the best. I played the demo on the 360 controller and hated it. The dualshock 3 was just made more sense to me and felt better. I have big hands so playing the demo after a while started to feel ok but was a bit tiring comparatively. To each his own and Im sure the game will still be fun. But something I saw in the instructions that nobody talked about was that the ps3 version has motion sensoring! Ill explain above the pic. Also inside the booklet there was a little card with Dante and Neros move guide. It didnt have everything but just for people who need a refresher I guess. Or for those new to the series.

Box cover
CA390006.jpg

Back cover
CA390010.jpg

Inside
CA390007.jpg

Booklet front and back
CA390013.jpg

Card for Nero's moves
CA390008.jpg

Card for Dante's moves
CA390009.jpg

This is the DVD. My friend sent me these 2 pics
GRP_0001.jpg

GRP_0000.jpg

So here is the motion sensor Sixaxis bit. It works like controlling the camera or the Right analog stick. Of course you can turn it on or off.
CA390012.jpg

Alright... getting tired yet? Well your in for a surprise... Everybodys heard about the long loading time for the install of the game on the HDD of the PS3. Its supposed to cut down load times and all that. I heard it was long but MAN IS IT FUCKN LONG!!! I mean it was SILLY LONG! But dont fear. For your patience fans and new comers a like are rewarded with A DMC summary of sorts from the past 3 games to get you up to speed. I thought this was really cool and a great idea. If it was gonna be that long they needed something to keep you from cursing them until the end.The only thing I would have done differently is change that song that REPEATS durning the loading and then soon after during the 'preview' after the load. The preview is pretty cool. I figured if I waited for that long ass load I could wait another 2 min for this. So because I know all my DMC friends out there are hungry for anything DMC I took pics of the summary for you guys to enjoy! This is the order it came in. So enjoy/read/and let me know what you guys think. If you have questions feel free to ask. Ill try and reply. Its like 1 am here NOW so if I dont get back to you soon dont take it personal. I didnt even start my game just to give you guys all this info and these pics. I hope you enjoy! ALL HAIL!

The backdrop of the game when you sit on the disc
CA390014.jpg

The loading message....damn that load is LONG
CA390015.jpg

The Story for DMC begins!
CA390019.jpg

CA390020.jpg

CA390021.jpg

CA390022.jpg

CA390023.jpg

CA390024.jpg

CA390025.jpg

CA390026.jpg

CA390027.jpg

CA390028.jpg

CA390029.jpg

CA390030.jpg

CA390031.jpg

CA390032.jpg

CA390033.jpg

CA390034.jpg

CA390035.jpg

CA390036.jpg

CA390037.jpg

CA390038.jpg

CA390039.jpg

CA390040.jpg

CA390041.jpg

CA390042.jpg

CA390043.jpg

CA390044.jpg

CA390045.jpg

CA390046.jpg

CA390047.jpg

CA390048.jpg

CA390049.jpg

CA390050.jpg

CA390051.jpg

Thanks to the people who read this and thanks to all the cool people on GT who make this site worth coming to!

Pelit (Finland) review:

9/10

Good news is that according to gamerankings, they shat all over DMC3 and merely gave the budget priced DMC3:SE an eight out of 10.

Kyoufu

The DMC1 summary during the installation is basically confirming that Vergil is dead :(

I'm going to need a moment alone here..

Top Bottom