• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Kyoufu

Mugen said:
So like what? You're saying only PS3 could handle the physics of body rearrangement?

wow

I'm saying their time probably went into multi-platform coding (3 versions as opposed to 1).

Dave1988

Mugen said:
So like what? You're saying only PS3 could handle the physics of body rearrangement?

I think he's trying to say that going from 1 target system to 3 heavily shortened the time they had to implement everything they wanted.

See: Dante and only 3 Firearms and 3 DAs. Repeating the same levels etc.

Kyoufu said:

wow

I'm saying their time probably went into multi-platform coding (3 versions as opposed to 1).
Two versions, really. They made the game initially for the PC, then ported it to the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

That's what I read, anyway.

Kyoufu

brandonh83 said:
You mean they were going to put it on the PC first?

What he means is the Framework engine is developed on the PC then ported to console in it's last stages of development, I believe thats how all of the Framework games from Capcom work.

Kyoufu said:
What he means is the Framework engine is developed on the PC then ported to console in it's last stages of development, I believe thats how all of the Framework games from Capcom work.

I figured, I just wanted to make sure.

Kyoufu

Himuro said:
I guess I'm going to have to go through an absolutely easy as shit DMC until I get to the REAL meat. Again. :(

Not necessarily. DMC3 had a code to input to unlock all modes at the start. Plus I don't mind going through Devil Hunter (hard mode) in my initial playthrough to absorb the story before going all out on DMD/HoH modes.

Kyoufu said:
Not necessarily. DMC3 had a code to input to unlock all modes at the start. Plus I don't mind going through Devil Hunter (hard mode) in my initial playthrough to absorb the story before going all out on DMD/HoH modes.

There are six difficulty modes right? Whats the two inbetween Human and Devil Hunter and DMD/HOH?

Kyoufu

MiamiWesker said:
There are six difficulty modes right? Whats the two inbetween Human and Devil Hunter and DMD/HOH?

Human, Devil Hunter, Son of Sparda, Dante Must Die, Heaven or Hell, Hell and Hell modes.

Sysgen

I finally played the XBL demo (back to Silver for a while). After being reminded about the bluetooth signal dropout problem I said I was going to get the 360 version but ... after playing the 360 version I liked the PS3 controller for the game alot better. It's shocking as I'm not a proponent of the sixaxis loose sticks, the triggers and the controller size but it felt more natural and I did not miss the rumble or vice versa, the addition of rumble on the 360 version did nothing for me. Sure rumble is important but for me not here. I didn't do a side by side and maybe it's my TV but I felt the PS3 version looked somewhat better from what I remember. Probably my imagination but I'll take my chances on the Bluetooth issue and get the PS3 version.

Mamesj

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Two versions, really. They made the game initially for the PC, then ported it to the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

That's what I read, anyway.

it's 50% PC, then ported and finished on the 360 and PS3.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone pick up the artbook? I just called EB and they have it and giving it out. I'llgoing by there tomorrow. The EB guy said there were plenty left.

Kyoufu said:
There are already no-hit SSS runs for DMC3 on youtube, but what makes this even more spectacular to watch is the required SSS style meter finishers on enemies :D
... You do realize there is no SSS ranking for DMC3 mission's right? Also, there is NO SSS or SS ranking in DMC4 just S (well according to the guide) nor is there any indication that you need to S rank HOH to move on, but even if there was it's pretty much what you had to do to survive DMD mode in 3, it just makes the game more annoying, since you have to constantly restart, rather than getting to enjoy the rest of the fight.

Bebpo

Banned
I've been playing DMC4 all day and I can't believe that ~4 hours+ into the game I'm still playing as Nero and I still have the exact same movelist/weapons and fight the same way I did in stage 1.

The game's pretty good and the bosses and enemies are DMC calibur, but one of the major FUN points of DMC is consistently getting new stuff to mess around with whether it's weapons or moves. Taking away all of that for a good chunk of Nero's game is a stupid stupid decision no matter what C- Warrior will say.

I'm sure the Dante half will be immensely enjoyable like the old DMCs, but the Nero stages, while fun, feel like a completely different game that's not DMC outside the boss fights.

Also the camera is the worst it's ever been in DMC during boss fights since it's player controlled and you have to keep moving the camera so as not to get hit by stuff you didn't see. This is pretty annoying in major boss fight #3.

Also+ there's a really really stupid stage that is going to take the fun out of replays over and over and speed runs because it takes a while and you can't do anything to get around it. Sorta like the chess maze in DMC3 but worse.

Bebpo said:
I've been playing DMC4 all day and I can't believe that ~4 hours+ into the game I'm still playing as Nero and I still have the exact same movelist/weapons and fight the same way I did in stage 1.

The game's pretty good and the bosses and enemies are DMC calibur, but one of the major FUN points of DMC is consistently getting new stuff to mess around with whether it's weapons or moves. Taking away all of that for a good chunk of Nero's game is a stupid stupid decision no matter what C- Warrior will say.

I'm sure the Dante half will be immensely enjoyable like the old DMCs, but the Nero stages, while fun, feel like a completely different game that's not DMC outside the boss fights.

Also the camera is the worst it's ever been in DMC during boss fights since it's player controlled and you have to keep moving the camera so as not to get hit by stuff you didn't see. This is pretty annoying in major boss fight #3.

Also+ there's a really really stupid stage that is going to take the fun out of replays over and over and speed runs because it takes a while and you can't do anything to get around it. Sorta like the chess maze in DMC3 but worse.

Actually, Nero gets plenty of upgrades. Judging from the screens.

Helm Splitter, forms of streak, forms of revving and upgrades to just-revving, an "in air hightime attack" (i believe it's performed by R1+back+/\) in air. There is also a "in air stinger based attack" as well, R1+back - foward + /\. Not to mention devil arm upgrades.

It's been stated before, but Nero's gameplay is more on the usage of the arm and contextual, while Dante is the one with all the tricks.

Bebpo

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Actually, Nero gets plenty of upgrades. Judging from the screens.

Helm Splitter, forms of streak, forms of revving and upgrades to just-revving, an "in air hightime attack" (i believe it's performed by R1+back+/\) in air. There is also a "in air stinger based attack" as well, R1+back - foward + /\. Not to mention devil arm upgrades.

It's been stated before, but Nero's gameplay is more on the usage of the arm and contextual, while Dante is the one with all the tricks.

Yeah, he might get some good stuff later but you go a long while without anything new. A few of the buyable moves at the start are pretty fun though.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, he might get some good stuff later but you go a long while without anything new. A few of the buyable moves at the start are pretty fun though.

Furthermore, every single new ability Nero gets as it's own chain for just-revving.

I can get the timing down for the regular 4 hit combo just-rev down pat. And the 3 hit air combo I have down pretty well too.

I'm working on the multi-hit ground combo though, Nero twirling at the end makes it visually distracting to pull it off.

Defuser

Himuro said:
Bebpo told me this in a message.

Uhhhhh....

yeah right it's gonna rock Bebpo. It's gonna rock. It's gonna rock...
Actually I share Bebpo's sentiments,the fact that they added another currency which can be gained at the end of the level which can be troublesome and render red demon blood nearly redundant but luckily the red demon blood is used to buy items while the new currency (pride souls) is used to buy Nero's upgrades and abilities. And since Nero uses only his red queen and blue rose for his entire story mission,he is severely gimped and you have grind more for his upgrades since red demon blood can't be used to buy the upgrades.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Defuser said:
Actually I share Bebpo's sentiments,the fact that they added another currency which can be gained at the end of the level which can be troublesome and render red demon blood nearly redundant but luckily the red demon blood is used to buy items while the new currency (pride souls) is used to buy Nero's upgrades and abilities. And since Nero uses only his red queen and blue rose for his entire story mission,he is severely gimped and you have grind more for his upgrades since red demon blood can't be used to buy the upgrades.
That sucks...Why couldn't they just stick it out like DMC3 with all but red

Kyoufu

Mefisutoferesu said:
... You do realize there is no SSS ranking for DMC3 mission's right? Also, there is NO SSS or SS ranking in DMC4 just S (well according to the guide) nor is there any indication that you need to S rank HOH to move on, but even if there was it's pretty much what you had to do to survive DMD mode in 3, it just makes the game more annoying, since you have to constantly restart, rather than getting to enjoy the rest of the fight.

You're wrong.

DMC3 has S rank AND SS rank.

Secondly I was talking about the style meter in DMC4, which you need to get SSS to finish an enemy.

Please don't spout misinformation.

gconsole

AAK said:
How is the music? Is it like DMC3 techno or DMC1 gothic-techno?

More to DMC1 gothic-techno which is surprise for me. I expected to see a lot of DMC3 elements in this game but it ends up with the next generation of DMC1 (Sound, Stage Design, etc) + DMC3 combat system.

man, wtf did they do to the upgrading system in DMC4 >_< Fuck I have a feeling this is DMC2-2. they artificially made it longer/harder because they took out orb mining. red orbs aren't used for upgrades, some random shit you get when you finish a level is used. so since you can't get any of that stuff during the actual levels you can't upgrade mid-mission. which sucks.

also all of Nero's upgrades that you can buy at the start are really zzz. like "streak lvl.2/3" "arm range extender lvl.2/3" "pistol charge lvl.2/3". hardly any new moves, just longer reach/more damage. hopefully when you play as Dante it'll be way better cause Nero seems totally lacking in movelist. they try to make up for it by letting you "unlearn" moves at anytime and put the new orbs back into the new orb pool so when you are at a mid-mission upgrade point you can unlearn shit to learn new stuff. but that's stupid. the whole fun in DMC is upgrading every time you find an upgrade point with the orbs you've gotten.

lolz, you can carry 30 vital star S, 30 M, 30 L and 3 yellow orbs. they've mainstreamed this game so much it's retarded. it's like DMC for people who don't know how to play videogames and have never played a DMC before.

the cutscenes suck too, because they didn't get the DMC3 cutscene guy back again, and now there are TWO HOURS OF THEM

Hmm, I'm not sure but all the guys work with story is the same. The movie directory is also the same. For me, the cut-scene is great and a lot better than DMC3. A lot a lot better. The story is tight up well and no more radiculous scene like Dante ride Lady's bullet in DMC3.

And for making this game mainstream? I'm sure you are only 1 in million peopl who can talk like that. Surely Devil Hunter mode is not super hard but it's no way near easy. It's the medium-Hard level of first DMC and general gamer will find it difficult to beat this game. Well, it's not like you can buy the vital star at the same price all the time. The item pricing system is the same.Can you buy 30 vital stars with all red orbs you have now? Sorry, but let the player can carry more item doesn't make game less difficult.

This is DMC and he talk like he never play DMC.

Defuser

Salazar said:
In my dreams, this is releasing a few days early in Australia. If I wish hard enough, it may come to pass.
It's best you import the Region 3 DMC4. It's all english,no sticker ruining the box art and maybe cheaper.

comrade

Kyoufu said:

You're wrong.

DMC3 has S rank AND SS rank.

Secondly I was talking about the style meter in DMC4, which you need to get SSS to finish an enemy.

Please don't spout misinformation.
He said DMC4 doesn't have SS rank, not 3. No need to jump down his throat pal.

hteng

Banned
if the mod thinks there are spoilers, please help censor

I just finished the game, it took me about 16 hours, that includes beating secret missions i've found and some orb farming, most of the time was waste in secret missions. I think i'm missing 4 blue orb fragments (last set).

The story is linear as hell but eh this is an action game, nothing much you can do about it. I love nero's gameplay more than dante's. You'll be traversing through every area for more than 2 times in the main story, there are a lot and i mean a lot of backtracking, especially in the fortuna castle.

Nero's has alot of power and easier to use, the demon bringer makes alot of stuff easier, reminds me of Jehuty's grab. Dante is extremely stylish and has alot of freedom/options at his disposal but you get sore fingers afterwards. Gilgamesh and Lucifer is difficult to use, gilgamesh is missing its straight punch and Lucifer is just weeeirddd, its more like a setup weapon and not used as a primary weapon, rebelion is still the best weapon for dante, the stinger is alot faster and has less recovery.

the boss fights are easier compared to dmc3, this is due to nero's devil bringer and dante's free style switching. You can use the same tactic for most of the huge bosses(ie: berial), jump up or snatch up, slash until weaken, devil bringer their face..rinse repeat. The only interesting fight imo is Nero vs Dante and Nero vs Credo. Note i'm playin in devil hunter mode.

enemies are varied, they came in all sizes. They aren't really aggressive but when there's like 4-6 on screen it can be annoying and i fucking hate chimeras, scarecrows are just cannon fodders and they die way too fast, lizards are my favourite. I hate the forest stage when playing as dante

Secret missions are pretty fucked up but i've managed to get them done (the ones i've found). I hate all of them, the ones that i hate the most are probably- trying to raise your style without attacking, doing 5 royal guards continuously and free running (vanishing platforms omg!! i totally went insane in that stage)

blue orbs are easy to find but i'm still missing 4 pieces. There are the statues that gives you blue orbs just like what you seen in DMC3 but they are alot easier, requiring only A or S rank to break it (no weapon specific like in DMC3).

Dante is very funny, he cracks me up in almost all cutscenes. Nero is just your typical japanese anime angst archtype.

EekTheKat

Bebpo said:

If you're thinking about the stage I'm thinking about, it turns out the solution was a lot easier than previously noted. I'm only halfway through the game though so it's entirely possible I haven't bumped into the level you're thinking about.

for the Lost Forest, apparently Dante's shadow tells you where to go - keep the shadow behind you and you'll always pick the right path

Bebpo

Banned
EekTheKat said:
If you're thinking about the stage I'm thinking about, it turns out the solution was a lot easier than previously noted. I'm only halfway through the game though so it's entirely possible I haven't bumped into the level you're thinking about.

for the Lost Forest, apparently Dante's shadow tells you where to go - keep the shadow behind you and you'll always pick the right path

No I'm talking about the dumb dice game you're going to have to do over and over again on replays which is boring as hell

Bebpo

Banned
gconsole said:
Hmm, I'm not sure but all the guys work with story is the same. The movie directory is also the same. For me, the cut-scene is great and a lot better than DMC3. A lot a lot better. The story is tight up well and no more radiculous scene like Dante ride Lady's bullet in DMC3.

DMC3 cutscene direction was by the action director of the film Versus. Not just some videogame cutscene guy like DMC4. DMC3 had film-like ridiculously over the top, but stylish and cool cutscenes. DMC4 ones are like shitty Gonzo anime. At least you can skip them all on replays and never see them again.

And for making this game mainstream? I'm sure you are only 1 in million peopl who can talk like that. Surely Devil Hunter mode is not super hard but it's no way near easy. It's the medium-Hard level of first DMC and general gamer will find it difficult to beat this game. Well, it's not like you can buy the vital star at the same price all the time. The item pricing system is the same.Can you buy 30 vital stars with all red orbs you have now? Sorry, but let the player can carry more item doesn't make game less difficult.

This is DMC and he talk like he never play DMC.

Right. I don't buy any items outside the blue orbs to up max HP. I don't do that in DMC1-3 or here. My comment about upping the max amount of items you can hold wasn't in relation to the game being easy, but rather that it makes it far more accesible to the mainstream because even people who suck at videogames should be able to beat it on devil hunter.

As for difficulty, I think it's ok. Devil Hunter is between Easy/Normal on the JPN DMC3. You can take tons of hits, but the bosses are almost as challenging as normal on DMC3. I'm fine with the difficulty, though I do think the intention was to make the boss patterns easier so they can just scale the difficulty for beginners and call it a day.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Bebpo said:
No I'm talking about the dumb dice game you're going to have to do over and over again on replays which is boring as hell

It only happens twice. Dante doesn't play the dice game. The second time is at the end of the game

KGKK

Banned
Hey I liked the cutscenes from DMC3. Yes they were over the top, however at least it fit the game unlike Twin Snakes. Who can hate the beginning cutscene with the pizza in his mouth?:lol

Bebpo

Banned
Reno said:
It only happens twice. Dante doesn't play the dice game. The second time is at the end of the game

I meant with 6 difficulties and the whole DMC replayability factor where you want to keep playing through the game multiple times.

Also, since you're here Reno, do you know why they decided to go with a seperate currency for upgrading? I mean it basically removes the use of those upgrade stations along each level since you don't get the souls until after the level ends so you have nothing new to spend.

I'm guessing they removed it so you can't just grind orbs and buy everything early on?

Defuser

Bebpo said:
I'm guessing they removed it so you can't just grind orbs and buy everything early on?
I'm more inclined to think since Nero uses only one weapon & one gun throughout his storyline,it would be too easy to buy upgrades if it's just red orbs.

Bebpo

Banned
karasu said:
Bebpo is killing my buzz.

It's a good game! Maybe a great game at that. I'm only maybe 25-35% in. Is it very different from DMC3? Yes.

I'm not a huge DMC1 fan. I thought DMC1 was good, but not amazing and I hated DMC2. I think DMC3 is the greatest action game ever made. DMC4 feels a lot more like DMC1 with Nero's portion. It's good and the combat and enemies feels really great. You just don't have a bajillion attack options.

I think on replays when you can go in with all the weapons and moves it'll probably start feeling more like DMC3 and be awesome. Just seems like the startup is a bit slower and more like DMC1.

I wouldn't put it up with DMC3/NG/God Hand at this point, but it's still better than any action game since GH.

gconsole

Bebpo said:
DMC3 cutscene direction was by the action director of the film Versus. Not just some videogame cutscene guy like DMC4. DMC3 had film-like ridiculously over the top, but stylish and cool cutscenes. DMC4 ones are like shitty Gonzo anime. At least you can skip them all on replays and never see them again.

DMC4 story/cut-scene director is Yoji Shimomura (staff credit is there, it's also mentione by Kobayashi in special DVD). Is that the same guy? Only this time they make it less chessy and more forward to story telling.

Bebpo

Banned
gconsole said:
DMC4 story/cut-scene director is Yoji Shimomura (staff credit is there, it's also mentione by Kobayashi in special DVD). Is that the same guy? Only this time they make it less chessy and more forward to story telling.

Hmm...if it's Shimomura then yeah, that's him. Which seems odd because the cutscenes are nothing like DMC3. They have over the top action, but they're not very well directed or edited. They're not much style and they just seem messy.

Then again I haven't played as Dante so maybe Dante's cutscenes will be cool like DMC3 and maybe Nero's cutscenes are terrible because Nero is a loser and sucks.

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
Hmm...if it's Shimomura then yeah, that's him. Which seems odd because the cutscenes are nothing like DMC3. They have over the top action, but they're not very well directed or edited. They're not much style and they just seem messy.

Then again I haven't played as Dante so maybe Dante's cutscenes will be cool like DMC3 and maybe Nero's cutscenes are terrible because Nero is a loser and sucks.

I spoiled myself early and read about the story. Yes, Nero's story is a joke and honestly I don't expect anything from the cutscenes.

If you watched the 1up Show however, you'll see Dante in one cutscene being himself. Though I don't expect DMC3 craziness in all 5 of his missions. since hes supposed to be mature now.

Top Bottom