• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
scoobs said:
Am I the only one that finds Nero's EX gauge incredibly hard to use effectively? The insta-exceed thing is ridiculously hard to keep track of for me atleast.
Keep practicing.

Zabka

Mugen said:
You realize that Shane is saying the Just-Ex is bs right?
I think you're getting the quotes mixed up.
Shane's 1up Review said:
Devil May Cry has always rewarded pinpoint timing, and the Devil Bringer reconfirms that commitment with its brilliant "Instant Rev" mechanic that dishes out maximum damage by perfectly timing a button press during a combo. It's a seemingly insubstantial, purely optional gameplay addition that deepens combat immeasurably.

Zzoram

Zabka said:
I think you're getting the quotes mixed up.

Shane also said this

And just when it appears that no further corners could be cut, the game's penultimate stage parades the game's big bosses back out for an unprecedented third battle. Seriously, Capcom? They're good bosses, but not that good.

Is this something to be worried about? Fighting the same bosses 3 times in 1 playthrough? It seems a bit much.

Mamesj

Banned
1up Review said:
Unfortunately, that stunning debut begat two mishandled sequels -- DMC2 felt like a lifeless, repetitive retread (albeit one with designer-jeans product placement) while DMC3's absurd difficulty curve made it impenetrably tough for most gamers. An apologetic "Special Edition" of DMC3 corrected its problems, but the series' history of missteps left fans wondering whether this fourth installment would arrive fully formed.

What??? How the hell was 3 a "misstep"? And fans had no problem with 3-- I don't think anyone was wondering whether 4 would kick ass.

I wish I could be a reviewer so I could get paid to imagine things...still, decent review otherwise.

Dahbomb

Sweet, decent sales for the game. And good review for 1up but that backtracking nonsense is REALLY holding the game back. Truly a shame though, it definitely reminds me of the DMC3 days. I think every reviewer has admitted that the graphics and game play are truly phenomenal AAA quality stuff, it's design choices that have held the game back. Even I was like "WTF?" when I saw what ends up happening later in the game.

bathala

Banned
scoobs said:
Am I the only one that finds Nero's EX gauge incredibly hard to use effectively? The insta-exceed thing is ridiculously hard to keep track of for me atleast.
well I'm mashing the Ex button during combo to get the instant :D

brandonh83 said:
I really hope Gamestop has this on Tuesday. Like, I really really hope.

I was there yesterday and i always thought games ship on monday.. there in the store tuesday

they game at GS said it will be there weds.. i really hope hes wrong

Phoenix Down said:
I was there yesterday and i always thought games ship on monday.. there in the store tuesday

they game at GS said it will be there weds.. i really hope hes wrong

For me it's different with each game I go to get on release... like Mario Galaxy, they didn't have it on Tuesday but a Meijer like 3 minutes away (no exaggeration) had it on the floor.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Was it reported already this game has "Accomplishments"?

Cos it does. I know the manual showed that, but what I'm talking here is that the XMB interface comes up with the Accomplishment text. Black screen. While lines. And in the middle: "Accomplishment: You did this and that"

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Phoenix Down said:
yep it was discussed.. i believe there was a screenshot floating around showing them all

edited my post to be more clear. It looks like it's integrated on an "XMB level" if you get what I mean.

Also, when you are at the title screen, messages appear telling you the progresses of your friends. First time I launched the game I was told about DJmizuhara finishing Mission XX or whatever. Very cool.

I'll try to take a pic fo this stuff.

TTP said:
edited my post to be more clear. It looks like it's integrated on an "XMB level" if you get what I mean.

Also, when you are at the title screen, messages appear telling you the progresses of your friends. First time I launched the game I was told about DJmizuhara finishing Mission XX or whatever. Very cool.

sweet..i will be looking forward to that.. i wasent aware it was so "intergrated" .. well hopefully we see more games like this... i expect it to be standard post HOME

hteng

Banned
scoobs said:

you'll get the hang of it, don't mash your buttons. start with simple moves like streak or helm breaker then move onto the simple combos. I think i've spent more than 8 hours in the demo trying to gasp the timings and now in the full game i have no problems doing rev on any move. But honestly, once you get the timing down it becomes second nature, you'll rev everytime you push the slash button.

I've spent so much time on nero that once i switched to dante i felt that he was very weak, that's just wrong lol.

hteng said:
you'll get the hang of it, don't mash your buttons. start with simple moves like streak or helm breaker then move onto the simple combos. I think i've spent more than 8 hours in the demo trying to gasp the timings and now in the full game i have no problems doing rev on any move. But honestly, once you get the timing down it becomes second nature, you'll rev everytime you push the slash button.

I've spent so much time on nero that once i switched to dante i felt that he was very weak, that's just wrong lol.

i had to spend it least 5 on the ice level.. Irev is second nature now

maskrider

TTP said:

For local accomplishment unlocks, the screen is like this

2v3t3ig.jpg

Not sure about the screen with regard to Friends, though.

Mamesj

Banned
Dahbomb said:
Sweet, decent sales for the game. And good review for 1up but that backtracking nonsense is REALLY holding the game back. Truly a shame though, it definitely reminds me of the DMC3 days. I think every reviewer has admitted that the graphics and game play are truly phenomenal AAA quality stuff, it's design choices that have held the game back. Even I was like "WTF?" when I saw what ends up happening later in the game.

It seems like they hate the backtracking just because it's in the same physical arena, but aren't saying anything about whether the enemies are remixed in those areas. 'cause if the enemies are remixed, who really cares what the physical space looks like?

Ninja Gaiden has a lot of backtracking too, but I don't even think about it because there are different enemies/configurations of enemies each time.

Kweh

maskrider said:
For local accomplishment unlocks, the screen is like this

dmc4ps3-ach.jpg

Not sure about the screen with regard to Friends, though.

That's pretty bad, it stops the game and pops that window up for you to cancel each time you get an Accomplishment?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
maskrider said:
You should be at the results screen when you see this screen.

Yes. After the results screen, it shows the "accomplishments" unlocked during that mission.

Kyoufu

Some guy over at GFAQs confirmed "Hell or Hell" mode which is one hit deaths for you but enemies have DMD health bars PLUS you can only finish them with an SSS style.

Is this true? If so, thats pretty intense, will make SSS runs more meaningful.

Oh, by the way, those that have the game, is there a retry option at the end mission screen? One thing, I like to do in DMC3 is replay the same level a bunch of times for practice, and having to go through the mission select to do it always bothered me... any chance they added it?

karasu

Kyoufu said:
Some guy over at GFAQs confirmed "Hell or Hell" mode which is one hit deaths for you but enemies have DMD health bars PLUS you can only finish them with an SSS style.

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kyoufu said:

Wow.

Kyoufu said:

Holy fuck.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kyoufu said:

jesus christ:lol We are definitely screwed if that is true

Made it too easy aye?

MechaX

Kyoufu said:

Hopefully that just applies to normal enemies and not bosses. Although, I guess it could apply to bosses as well, considering that in DMC4, your style seems to drop only if you get hit. And if you get hit... well... style points really wouldn't matter, would they?

That alone, wow.. Consider DMD modes of the past effectively stomped on.

Kyoufu said:

Thats way beyond my limit for difficulty. Good luck to all of you that attempt it.

Kyoufu

brandonh83 said:
Without getting hit? Jesus that'll make for some incredible Youtube videos :lol

There are already no-hit SSS runs for DMC3 on youtube, but what makes this even more spectacular to watch is the required SSS style meter finishers on enemies :D

Kyoufu said:

There is a god. Capcom reads the DMC boards confirmed.

Mugen

Banned
You guys realize that Capcom did not deliver on something. Capcom said they were gonna allow the enemies to be comboed even after death until their body parts get re-arranged or something.

Kyoufu

Mugen said:
You guys realize that Capcom did not deliver on something. Capcom said they were gonna allow the enemies to be comboed even after death until their body parts get re-arranged or something.

I'm sure alot of things got scrapped when they had to make it multi-platform.

Dave1988

Mugen said:

When did they say that? I honestly don't remember.

Top Bottom