• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

gconsole

Bebpo said:
Hmm...if it's Shimomura then yeah, that's him. Which seems odd because the cutscenes are nothing like DMC3. They have over the top action, but they're not very well directed or edited. They're not much style and they just seem messy.

Then again I haven't played as Dante so maybe Dante's cutscenes will be cool like DMC3 and maybe Nero's cutscenes are terrible because Nero is a loser and sucks.

Yeah, i'm looking forward to see Dante badass action in his own cut-scene too. I'm on mission 10 rightnow and fight Dante as a boss is killing my hand.

harSon

Banned
Bebpo said:
It's a good game! Maybe a great game at that. I'm only maybe 25-35% in. Is it very different from DMC3? Yes.

I'm not a huge DMC1 fan. I thought DMC1 was good, but not amazing and I hated DMC2. I think DMC3 is the greatest action game ever made. DMC4 feels a lot more like DMC1 with Nero's portion. It's good and the combat and enemies feels really great. You just don't have a bajillion attack options.

I think on replays when you can go in with all the weapons and moves it'll probably start feeling more like DMC3 and be awesome. Just seems like the startup is a bit slower and more like DMC1.

I wouldn't put it up with DMC3/NG/God Hand at this point, but it's still better than any action game since GH.

What system did you buy it for?

ElyrionX

Oh god, I'm really on the fence as to which version to get.

The PS3 version has already been released over here but I've got to wait till Tuesday for the 360 version. I don't have a PS3 but I am going to buy it eventually so I really wouldn't mind buying it now to play DMC4 early.

The problem is I can't decide if I really should be getting the PS3 version in the first place. I hate the analog stick placement on the Sixaxis (compared to the 360 pad) and there's no rumble on the PS3 version too (though I'm not sure how much I really care for that). There's also the fact that installation is mandatory on the PS3 which is completely lame. This isn't a fucking PC, Capcom. What if I run out of HDD space? Does that mean I have to uninstall that shit and reinstall it when I want to play it again? Oh god.

But goddamn, I really do want to play DMC4 over the weekend.......

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Himuro said:
Scenes like that is what DMC3's cutscenes so awesome.
Dam right

Its like saying 80s action movies are stupid because arnold can stand out in a middle of a field and mow down a ton of people... thats why its just so awesome:lol

harSon

Banned
ElyrionX said:

The PS3 version has already been released over here but I've got to wait till Tuesday for the 360 version. I don't have a PS3 but I am going to buy it eventually so I really wouldn't mind buying it now to play DMC4 early.

The problem is I can't decide if I really should be getting the PS3 version in the first place. I hate the analog stick placement on the Sixaxis (compared to the 360 pad) and there's no rumble on the PS3 version too (though I'm not sure how much I really care for that). There's also the fact that installation is mandatory on the PS3 which is completely lame. This isn't a fucking PC, Capcom. What if I run out of HDD space? Does that mean I have to uninstall that shit and reinstall it when I want to play it again? Oh god.

I'm in a debacle as well :lol If the retail release of Devil May Cry 4 for the Playstation 3 does not support 1080i then I'll be forced to purchase the Xbox 360 version... Which is not all that bad except for the fact that the repaired Xbox 360 I received mere days ago came broken :lol I'm really hoping Capcom wasn't incompetent enough to release the game without 1080i support.

Can anyone with the Playstation 3 version confirm if the game supports 1080i or not?

Kyoufu

ElyrionX said:

If you're getting a PS3 anyway then jesus christ what the hell are you waiting for?

ElyrionX

Kyoufu said:
If you're getting a PS3 anyway then jesus christ what the hell are you waiting for?

Because of all that I mentioned? Shitty Sixaxis analog stick. Lack of rumble. Shitty 45 minute installation required.

Defuser

Oh you're up to Mission 6 only Bebpo? I just saw your accomplishment when I boot up DMC4.

ElyrionX said:
Because of all that I mentioned? Shitty Sixaxis analog stick. Lack of rumble. Shitty 45 minute installation required.

1)Buy DS3 which is already available.
2)it's 20 to 25 mins.

ElyrionX

Himuro said:
More foreword to story telling? I've read the spoilers for the game and it's like MGS2 with demons. :lol I don't understand why anyone thinks they'll get ANYTHING out of a DMC story. :lol

Which is why I don't understand why anyone would even give a shit about story spoilers in a DMC4 thread. I mean, jesus christ, people actually give a shit about story and plot in a videogame titled DEVIL MAY CRY?

Kyoufu

ElyrionX said:

Well I don't know, the Sixaxis/Dualshock3 is generally regarded to be the controller to use for DMC4/action games. The installation means you'll get a rundown of what has happened in the series and of course, minimal to none loading times for when you're playing. This is a huge plus for me because I intend to play this game alot.

No harm in waiting for the 360 version if you prefer that controller instead, but to me its a no-brainer if you're planning on buying a PS3 anyway.

ElyrionX

Defuser said:
Oh you're up to Mission 6 only Bebpo? I just saw your accomplishment when I boot up DMC4.

1)Buy DS3 which is already available.
2)it's 20 to 25 mins.

So there's rumble support on the PS3? Just that we need the DS3 for it? I don't have any issue with that if true.

Something else that's bothering me about picking up a PS3 is the fact that I don't want to get a 40 gig now only to realize it's a gimped version when the 120 gig releases later.

Kyoufu

Himuro, the story that links DMC3 to DMC1 is amazing. Its just a shame they ran that link into the ground with DMC4's plot :(

ElyrionX said:
So there's rumble support on the PS3? Just that we need the DS3 for it? I don't have any issue with that if true.

Something else that's bothering me about picking up a PS3 is the fact that I don't want to get a 40 gig now only to realize it's a gimped version when the 120 gig releases later.

Even the demo supports rumble

Bebpo

Banned
Defuser said:

On mission 8.

I was getting some ugly framerate drops in one of the jungle fights. >_<

harSon said:
What system did you buy it for?

PS3. Tried both demos and even though X360 one has a slight graphical edge, I had a lot more fun with the PS3 version because of the controller.

Anyhow I'll check if it's 1080i.

*edit* no 1080i support.

Bebpo

Banned
So duckroll says the sales for first day are:

PS3 - 140k
X360 - 30k

Not bad. If it breaks 200k on PS3 and 250k combined first weekend that's about DMC3 first weekend IIRC, maybe higher.

Dahbomb

Some guy over at GFAQs confirmed "Hell or Hell" mode which is one hit deaths for you but enemies have DMD health bars PLUS you can only finish them with an SSS style.

Is this true? If so, thats pretty intense, will make SSS runs more meaningful.
WTF.... :lol :lol :lol

HOH is officially harder than any difficulty made on earth. I am not fucking touching this difficulty without Super Nero/Super Dante. :lol

Oh and the cutscene director is the same guy who did DMC3 as for DMC4. The team is pretty much the same as DMC3 with some new additions and returning DMC1 team.

Bebpo said:

PS3 - 140k
X360 - 30k

Not bad. If it breaks 200k on PS3 and 250k combined first weekend that's about DMC3 first weekend IIRC, maybe higher.
Not bad numbers at all.

Dahbomb

Wario64 said:
Gametrailers gave it 8.6
Good one. I think that's higher than what they gave DMC3.

The average score for DMC4 is coming to be somewhere between 8.5 and 9.0. It would've been higher if it weren't for the whole backtracking debacle.

1up Show's Review <-- Good stuff to get your guys hyped

There is a Spike TV review floating around as well, I didn't bother looking at it though but I heard they reviewed the game well.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
WTF.... :lol :lol :lol

HOH is officially harder than any difficulty made on earth. I am not fucking touching this difficulty without Super Nero/Super Dante. :lol.

That has to be a mistake. That difficulty sounds fucking ridiculous. :lol

Dante's cutscenes are fucking badass. I thought Nero's story was fine. It actually gave him some character. His weren't overly over-the-top, but, they were nice enough. But yea, Dante is fucking crazy. :lol He seemed bored as fuck with the bosses though. E&I ftw.

hteng

Banned
Defuser said:
Since you finish it..
Mission 10,where am I supposed to do after I hit that blue dial at the beginning.

hit the time stop statue run to the blue dial, activate it then quickly run back, there's a huge opening for you to drop down (it's just near the first set of lasers), then again if your time stop ran out you'll just have to deal with it. If you are lucky enough you can slide through them without slowing down time (use streak)

edit: heh nvm, looks like you are through with mission 10, you are ondante

Dahbomb

Oldschoolgamer said:
I hope it's not a mistake, this would give DMC the crown for the most ridiculously hard difficulty setting ever made. :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Bebpo said:

PS3 - 140k
X360 - 30k

Where are those sales from? Japan Europe?

LowParry

ElyrionX said:

Import if you need to, or wait for this new 120 gig that comes with a DS3 included. If it were me though, I'd wait for this 120 gig version.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Oldschoolgamer said:

Not a mistake... after you finish Heaven or Hell mode, you get Hell and Hell, which is one hit kills for Dante, and hard mode (dunno if it's Son of Sparda or Dante Must Die mode) health for the enemies. :X

I just watched the Dante vs. Nero fight
Part 2
on youtube and I regret it. Gloria
was Trish all along? WTF? I was so eager for a Dante vs. Gloria or Nero vs. Gloria boss fight. :( Her design made her look so evil too.

Defuser

oh boy,the near end mission is gonna cause Bebpo to hate that mission forever, the moment player resumes Nero. It's the dice game again but 10 times more dice tossing, moving and boss flavor!!!.

Warning: Picture does not represent the real thing.
2mrcdax.jpg

jett

D-Member
I NEED to know this: after you finish the game, can you play the entire thing with either Nero or Dante?

Oh and the cut-scenes are totally fucking awesome and way better made than DMC3's, what's wrong with you Bebpo. :p

How about the difficulty modes?, how many and is true that you have to beat the enemies with a A/S/SSS in the hardest difficulty modes?.

Kyoufu

rockman zx said:
How about the difficulty modes?, how many and is true that you have to beat the enemies with a A/S/SSS in the hardest difficulty modes?.

Human, Devil Hunter, Son of Sparda, Dante Must Die, Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell.

You need an A rank or higher to complete a mission on Son of Sparda and you need an SSS style meter to kill an enemy in Hell or Hell.

jett said:
I NEED to know this: after you finish the game, can you play the entire thing with either Nero or Dante?

Oh and the cut-scenes are totally fucking awesome and way better made than DMC3's, what's wrong with you Bebpo. :p

Nope, Dante only has 5 missions, the rest is Nero.

Ristlager

Kyoufu said:
Human, Devil Hunter, Son of Sparda, Dante Must Die, Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell.

You need an A rank or higher to complete a mission on Son of Sparda and you need an SSS style meter to kill an enemy in Hell or Hell.

Darthwadernooooooooooo.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kyoufu said:

I'm HATING this.

jett

D-Member
Kyoufu said:

Meh, Dante seems like a waste.

Draft

Seiken said:
I'm HATING this.
Since the game is all about combos anyway, if you're playing on SoS or HoH, you are probably good, and therefore probably kick out SSS rank combos like they were easy.

Mrbob

The only thing that is bothering so far is that I read there are board game and dice game style minigames in DMC4.

What. The. Fuck.

Top Bottom