• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just a quick summary, please help me out here.

Human = Easy difficulty. Enemies die after just a couple of slices.
Devil Hunter = Normal difficulty. Enemies causes pretty much damage and will not die by a simple combo.
Son of Sparda = Hard difficulty. Enemies causes much damage and will require lots of shit to die. Also, in order to beat a stage, you will be needing an A on every stage.

This is where I get confused. What's the "hard" part with DMD and Heaven or Hell? I mean, it doesn't seem to require any ranks? Hell or Hell is in another league though :/

Defuser

Finally completed DMC4 after whole day of playing.

Story:
Typical but less over the top action with a too much emphasis about love and not enough of Dante's awesomeness. Even though Nero beat down bosses but he never finish them off so it's up to Dante to finish the dirty work.

Gameplay:
Of course 14 missions of Nero with only one weapon,one gun and a devil bringer with very useless upgrades which can be repetitive but 6 awesome missions of Dante with nearly each mission having new weapons/toys to play around and new enemies exclusive to Dante only,breathes in new life and nostalgia.

Not enough bosses as Capcom took the lazy way out by having Dante backtrack all the way to the beginning stage therefore reusing the bosses to fight again.

As for the missions...WTF Capcom,who the hell thought up this damn dice game?!?!?! Sure it's ok for one stage but using it again a for the second last mission with 5 increasing levels and adding a boss at the end of each level is madness!!!(but easier than DMC3 mission 19 boss rush) Which means the whole game,you will face each same boss 3 times!!!
Same things I said goes for the wood maze,first time you get lost but later figured out already but the second time on the later level,the solution for it does not worked twice!!!

As for buying upgrades...
the fact that they added another currency which can be gained at the end of the level which can be troublesome and render red demon blood nearly redundant but luckily the red demon blood is used to buy items while the new currency (pride souls) is used to buy Nero's/Dante's upgrades and abilities. And since Nero uses only his red queen and blue rose for his entire story mission,he is severely gimped and you have grind more for his upgrades since red demon blood can't be used to buy the upgrades.

oh, why is Bloody palace timed?!?!? I don't like rushing myself to defeat enemies.

Score = 8
Lots of reviewers were right when they give this kind of score. There are some faults that majority don't like but overall it's still enjoyable it's DMC which means the gameplay system is still deep and awesome.

One step forward in combat but one step backward in general gameplay.

Actually apparently Son of Sparda is more or less the same as Devil Hunter except for the A-rank requirement. At least I read that somewhere. It's entirely possible that DMD is the same when it comes to the A-rank requirement. I don't know if rank requirements will be too tough now that damage is no longer factored into your score (though using items still leads to a penalty).

hteng

Banned
ugh, i'm stuck at berial (stage 19) in bloody palace, it looks like his AI and stamina has increased significantly, his flames doesn't go out easily and he is much more aggressive.

Defuser said:

Story:
Typical but less over the top action with a too much emphasis about love and not enough of Dante's awesomeness. Even though Nero beat down bosses but he never finish them off so it's up to Dante to finish the dirty work.

I beat the game today too. I actually like the story that concerned Nero. And was less interested in the Dante parts.

I actually didn't like having to play as Dante for his segment. I think this could have been an overall better game with just Nero as the main character. Of course this would alientate hard core DMC fans. But really, Nero's gameplay is just more fun for me.

And to be fair, they don't let you play with Dante long enough to do him justice. You don't get enough time to really learn how to use him well. Unless you were already an expereinced DMC player. But he is so powerfull just with button mashing, it doesn't reward skill as much as playing Nero I felt.

I think I would this game a 9/10 though. I was thinking something like 8.5 would be fair. But after beating it it just left me with a really good feeling. That high means this game is at least 9! Everyone should play it. It is one of the best games I have played this gen.

Mamesj

Banned
REALLY not liking Nero's lack of weapons. One of the great things about 3 was getting new weapons and guns all the time.

Sounds like this one is not as good as 3, but I'll happily play it anyway-- hasn't been a good hardcore action game since GodHand.

Defuser said:
oh boy,the near end mission is gonna cause Bebpo to hate that mission forever, the moment player resumes Nero. It's the dice game again but 10 times more dice tossing, moving and boss flavor!!!.

Warning: Picture does not represent the real thing.
2mrcdax.jpg

The dice game is actually very easy. At first I thought the dice is random but it is not. It is sequenced. You get a sequence of numbers and they are the just keep looping over and over in a predicatble way.

So for example the dice will keep changing like so:

Start: 1 -> 3 -> 6 -> 2 -> 5 -> Goto Start

All you need to know is that if you punch of hit the dice when it is on a number, that is what you get for the roll. So if you want 6 just wait till 3 shows up and you know 6 will be next. That is more than enough time to hit the block. It's not random it is a timing game. And because it is in sequence you know exactly when the number you need is coming up.

Once you know this the dice game is a piece of cake.

The dice stuff sounds hilariously frustrating, it wouldn't be a CAPCOM game otherwise. Seriously they're one of the best game developers of all time, but most of their games seem to have at least one or two particular areas of frustration - like the water puzzle in Onimusha.

:lol

Artie

Ok, so DMC3 was my first DMC game, but I never finished it because it was too ridiculously hard.

Should I play on Human or Devil Hunter?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Artie said:
Ok, so DMC3 was my first DMC game, but I never finished it because it was too ridiculously hard.

Should I play on Human or Devil Hunter?
Human. Then Devil Hunter.

rockman zx said:
Then, the general consensus is that DMC3:SE is a superior game despite DMC4 is an enjoyable game?.

Personally I did not like DMC3:SE. For one, I thought it was too technical and mechanical. I felt the "fun" factor was very low for that game. And two, the story just blew for me. I had zero interest in it. The cut scenes were all just meh.

DMC4 raises the bar. Not just for DMC games, but for action games in general.

Dahbomb

rockman zx said:
Then, the general consensus is that DMC3:SE is a superior game despite DMC4 is an enjoyable game?.
Very difficult to say to be honest, even from a person who have been through the whole series. I do expect that most people who aren't big fans of DMC3 would much prefer DMC4 but likewise I expect people who thought DMC3 to be the end all DMC game would think some of the changes in DMC4 may not be that good (ie. Nero).

DMC4 does a lot of things better than DMC3 especially game play wise. You have to realize that most people seem to forget the amount of shittacular enemies in DMC3 which almost ruined the amazing combat. In DMC4 the enemies are much more fun to beat up because they can actually be comboed correctly. That alone would make the two games far more on par. Then Dante in DMC4 has like much superior options like OTF style switch with up to 4 devil arms and 3 firearms AT ONE time (one of the firearm is like 7 weapons in one). And Dante isn't even the main character, Nero's mechanics from what I have seen work well when you use all things at your disposal sort of like Vergil but better.

What DMC3SE does better is that even though it had a few shittacular bosses (Leviathan, Doppelganger, Arkham, Gigapede) it had more boss battles and you didn't fight them more than twice. Then some will say that DMC3's story was technically better because it had a much more solid ending with Vergil helming the climax. With DMC4 I can say the climax is quite flat even though near the beginning it felt like the game could be quite epic story wise. This is according to fan impressions, most people will say both games have shit story anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I think everyone will have their opinions on which game is better. I would've EASILY said that DMC4 makes DMC3SE obsolete were it not for some of the issues discussed already concerning DMC4.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
rockman zx said:
From the sound of it...Yea...Bloody Palace being timed, The fact Nero is feeling limited, etc.

Dahbomb

BP being timed is not actually a bad thing. The time limit isn't exactly strict and the reason why it's there is because of balance issues. You see in previous games, players would kill all enemies but SAVE ONE enemy at the end and basically just Taunt + DT regain + Health regain until they have full health and DT for the next round. Now because you have online rankings you need some way to balance it and that's why there is time limit. Time limit is just to restrict such abuses, you will almost never run out of time at least I don't think so.

Dahbomb said:
Then some will say that DMC3's story was technically better because it had a much more solid ending with Vergil helming the climax. With DMC4 I can say the climax is quite flat even though near the beginning it felt like the game could be quite epic story wise. This is according to fan impressions, most people will say both games have shit story anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I think the only people who would say DMC3 story is better are people who really like DMC games and actually pay close attention to the story line. I felt it was really cold and technical-- just like it's game play.

DMC3's cut scenes were just a bunch of smart ass remarks and snide comments.

DMC4's story cut scenes have actual emotional content in them. And I feel they were able to successfully build up an emotional relationship between the gamer and the main characters. In the beginning I thought Nero was just a punk bitch. But by the end I was empathising with the chacacter. I've never had the same connection with Dante. I've always thought he was just a sleezy prick.

Yoshichan

Dahbomb said:
BP being timed is not actually a bad thing. The time limit isn't exactly strict and the reason why it's there is because of balance issues. You see in previous games, players would kill all enemies but SAVE ONE enemy at the end and basically just Taunt + DT regain + Health regain until they have full health and DT for the next round. Now because you have online rankings you need some way to balance it and that's why there is time limit. Time limit is just to restrict such abuses, you will almost never run out of time at least I don't think so.
How many stages are there and how much time have you got?

Dahbomb

PuppetMaster said:
I think the only people who would say DMC3 story is better are people who really like DMC games and actually pay close attention to the story line. I felt it was really cold and technical-- just like it's game play.

DMC3's cut scenes were just a bunch of smart ass remarks and snide comments.

DMC4's story cut scenes have actual emotional content in them. And I feel they were able to successfully build up an emotional relationship between the gamer and the main characters. In the beginning I thought Nero was just a punk bitch. But by the end I was empathising with the chacacter. I've never had the same connection with Dante. I've always thought he was just a sleezy prick.
The way I see it, DMC4's enjoyment is inversely proportional to how someone likes Dante. Someone who is a huge fan of Dante would not like DMC4 or its story that much. Someone who is indifferent to both characters would end up empathizing with Nero more and will end up enjoying the game more.

How many stages are there and how much time have you got?
I don't have the game, I am just reporting from what people are saying who have the game on other forums.

BP has 101 stages but you can't skip stages, meaning its basically the same as the 10,000 BP which had an option to skip 100 stages. No one I know has actually complained that they didn't finish a level because of time limit, they normally die because they just get their ass kicked.

Oh and
the 101st level is fully DT'd Dante with absurd DMD like stats.

maskrider

PuppetMaster said:
The dice game is actually very easy. At first I thought the dice is random but it is not. It is sequenced. You get a sequence of numbers and they are the just keep looping over and over in a predicatble way.

So for example the dice will keep changing like so:

Start: 1 -> 3 -> 6 -> 2 -> 5 -> Goto Start

All you need to know is that if you punch of hit the dice when it is on a number, that is what you get for the roll. So if you want 6 just wait till 3 shows up and you know 6 will be next. That is more than enough time to hit the block. It's not random it is a timing game. And because it is in sequence you know exactly when the number you need is coming up.

Once you know this the dice game is a piece of cake.

Predictable != You have control.

It doesn't really matter on the sequence, it matters because you have no control on the sequence. Why not just a door crossing puzzle than rolling a dice.

Yoshichan

Then why are people complaining? BP sounds ridiculously good IMO.

Bebpo

Banned
Defuser said:

Story:

Gameplay:
Of course 14 missions of Nero with only one weapon,one gun and a devil bringer with very useless upgrades which can be repetitive but 6 awesome missions of Dante with nearly each mission having new weapons/toys to play around and new enemies exclusive to Dante only,breathes in new life and nostalgia.

Not enough bosses as Capcom took the lazy way out by having Dante backtrack all the way to the beginning stage therefore reusing the bosses to fight again.

As for the missions...WTF Capcom,who the hell thought up this damn dice game?!?!?! Sure it's ok for one stage but using it again a for the second last mission with 5 increasing levels and adding a boss at the end of each level is madness!!!(but easier than DMC3 mission 19 boss rush) Which means the whole game,you will face each same boss 3 times!!!
Same things I said goes for the wood maze,first time you get lost but later figured out already but the second time on the later level,the solution for it does not worked twice!!!

As for buying upgrades...

oh, why is Bloody palace timed?!?!? I don't like rushing myself to defeat enemies.

Score = 8
Lots of reviewers were right when they give this kind of score. There are some faults that majority don't like but overall it's still enjoyable it's DMC which means the gameplay system is still deep and awesome.

One step forward in combat but one step backward in general gameplay.

:\

I really can't see what was going through their heads to make a lot of these bonehead decisions.

It's like the DMC2 team all over again, making stupid decisions for the game that take away a lot of the fun and what makes a DMC game DMC. Maybe this is a series where only the odd numbered games will be truly good and move the series forward.

At least I have faith that Itagaki won't pull this shit with NG2 and it'll be just as awesome or better than NG1.

maskrider said:
Predictable != You have control.

It doesn't really matter on the sequence, it matters because you have no control on the sequence. Why not just a door crossing puzzle than rolling a dice.

It's not a dice because there is no randomness factor to it.

Think of it more like as slot machine game. Where you have to pull the lever at the right time to get the correct combination. Except it's much easier and there is no randomness factor to it. You can get the result you want 100% of the time once you know what you are doing.

Lightning

Banned
Too much to read.

Can someone who has played the game confirmed the following for me pretty please?

- Cutscene viewer after completeing the game?

- Misson Select after completing the game allows you to upgrade your weapons fully?

- Any Secret Missions within the game?

- Do the repititive bosses suck? (Subjective I know)

Thank you.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Lightning said:
Too much to read.

Can someone who has played the game confirmed the following for me pretty please?

yes
- Misson Select after completing the game allows you to upgrade your weapons fully?
no idea
yes, with blue orb rewards
no idea

Thank you.

Havent played it yet but stuff is confirmed.

maskrider

PuppetMaster said:
It's not a dice because there is no randomness factor to it.

Think of it more like as slot machine game. Where you have to pull the lever at the right time to get the correct combination. Except it's much easier and there is no randomness factor to it. You can get the result you want 100% of the time once you know what you are doing.

Well, not on the next draw. You can get what they decided if it is in sequence, but not what you want 100% on the next draw, and that's what control means to me.

I'd rather they give us some kind of puzzle than some pre-determined random likely events.

Lightning said:
Too much to read.

- Cutscene viewer after completeing the game? Yes

- Misson Select after completing the game allows you to upgrade your weapons fully? Yes

- Any Secret Missions within the game? Yes

- Do the repititive bosses suck? (Subjective I know) No.

Thank you.

You can play each cut scene individually or there is a "Play All" setting too to play everything. Of course you can skip the cut scenes you don't care to watch again as well.

There are lots of secret missions with various objectives hidden arround the world. If you play as Nero, his arm will glow when he gets near one. Also if you have rumble, your controler rumbles when you are near one.

maskrider

Loudninja said:
PuppetMaster can you start a new game+?

I am not PuppetMaster, but just load a game and start from whatever mission you want (including the first mission), you keep all your earned stuffs/skills, except the story related abilities (anima mercury, ...).

Lince

Banned
I've replayed DMC3:SE and the original DMC in anticipation, it was a pain to replay DMC after DMC3 (atrocious PAL 50hz version FTL) but then I couldn't resist to try the DMC4 demo once more and... I just can't wait!! I've already paid for the PS3:CE, I guess I prefer faster loads and the DS3 controller over the visual edge the 360 ver may have.

hteng

Banned
Lightning said:
Too much to read.

Thank you.

1.) Yes, you can view what you've seen

2.) Yes, actually you can select mission as early as stage 1, that means you can farm before finishing the game

3.) there's a total of 12 missions, they are very very difficult, i'm missing mission 9,10,11 have no idea where those are

4.) Not really but gets boring fast

maskrider

My current start screen (the wallpaper is from the gallery after finishing Human mode, but I am not the one who set it to be the wallpaper, I have no control), the full width of the wallpaper is a bit wider than the area shown.

harSon

Banned
Bebpo said:
On mission 8.

I was getting some ugly framerate drops in one of the jungle fights. >_<

PS3. Tried both demos and even though X360 one has a slight graphical edge, I had a lot more fun with the PS3 version because of the controller.

Anyhow I'll check if it's 1080i.

*edit* no 1080i support.

Shit! :lol

I guess I'll just wait until my Xbox 360 comes back from repairs... in 3-4 weeks.

Loudninja

maskrider said:
I am not PuppetMaster, but just load a game and start from whatever mission you want (including the first mission), you keep all your earned stuffs/skills, except the story related abilities (anima mercury, ...).

Thanks dude :D

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
So it seems DMC4 will be the next amazing game in the long list of games GAF hates because some people with no tastes said it sucks.

Too bad.

LJ11

Played a good bit of DMC3 last night, man that game can be tough at times but it just feels rewarding when you get in the zone.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
maskrider said:
My current start screen (the wallpaper is from the gallery after finishing Human mode, but I am not the one who set it to be the wallpaper, I have no control), the full width of the wallpaper is a bit wider than the area shown.

dmc4ps3-startcleared.jpg

fuckin awsome

Stylin son!!!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
From the impressions, it sounds like a of the elements of levels and gameplay would annoy the shit out of me. Kind of like while you're playing a great sport (combos, etc), your playground/arena is cruddy (backtracking, minigames?). Money is tight too. Blah, what to do. =(

See, in a way it was a blessing and a curse that Capcom released DMC3: SE. It was so damn great and fixed a ton of problems and added a bunch of new features. If you see that the next installment is a little lacking, why not wait for it's SE too? Especially since they aren't doing any DLC (idiots).

I'll see how my wallet reacts when I see the game in store I guess.

Kintaro said:
From the impressions, it sounds like a of the elements of levels and gameplay would annoy the shit out of me. Kind of like while you're playing a great sport (combos, etc), your playground/arena is cruddy (backtracking, minigames?). Money is tight too. Blah, what to do. =(

See, in a way it was a blessing and a curse that Capcom released DMC3: SE. It was so damn great and fixed a ton of problems and added a bunch of new features. If you see that the next installment is a little lacking, why not wait for it's SE too? Especially since they aren't doing any DLC (idiots).

I'll see how my wallet reacts when I see the game in store I guess.
Who says they aren't doing dlc? Kobayashi? AHAHAHAHAHA, oh yeah, only the absolute truth ever parts his lips.

By the by, for those who've played the game, what's your impression of Pandora? Fun? Useful?

Mamesj

Banned
dahbomb said:
Then Dante in DMC4 has like much superior options like OTF style switch with up to 4 devil arms and 3 firearms AT ONE time (one of the firearm is like 7 weapons in one). And Dante isn't even the main character,

Which is absolutely retarded. Why make the sub-character the most fun to play as? They could've given Dante got the devil bringer and the game probably would've been much better off for it. maybe the ones who are anal about the story would be pissed, but who cares...

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
What the fuck is wrong with GAF. One guy with shit taste says the game sucks and the hive mind just agrees. It's like personnal opinion is void in here.

Ridiculous.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mefisutoferesu said:
Who says they aren't doing dlc? Kobayashi? AHAHAHAHAHA, oh yeah, only the absolute truth ever parts his lips.

Yeah, he said it in the interview with 1up. Until somethings comes out, I'm going to assume this will be the case.

What the fuck is wrong with GAF. One guy with shit taste says the game sucks and the hive mind just agrees. It's like personnal opinion is void in here.

Ridiculous.

If you mean Bepbo, he never said the game sucked. In fact, no one has. However, there are frustrations and head scratching.

Iam a little dissapointed in GT right now. They had a count down for the review, and the GT show says review will be up monday, WTF?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I think nero plays pretty fucking awesome tbh, BUT i want dante to be the main char and nero the supporting char in the next dmc (Please if there is a god let dmc5 be made).

EekTheKat

Nero was fun, but it's pretty damn mindblowing what you can do with Dante now thanks to all the on the fly switching.

The upgrade system oddly enough reminds me a lot of an MMO talent system, where you can
respec at will at those statues in game with the "refund" option, and you cant buy all the top tier talents without some grinding due to higher costs.

DMC4 is fairly newbie friendly, yet at the same time it's easily one of the harder games I've ever played. The game is just a whole lot of fun, especially once everything starts to click.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Mamesj said:
Which is absolutely retarded. Why make the sub-character the most fun to play as? They could've given Dante got the devil bringer and the game probably would've been much better off for it. maybe the ones who are anal about the story would be pissed, but who cares...
if it is like the 1st time through they force you into the two man thing...I dont mind there. Where you can either one if you want to replay it again. That would be nice ^_^

ElyrionX

The proud soul system truly sucks.

Orb farming has ALWAYS been a DMC staple because it makes the game easier for weaker players who are willing to put in the time and effort, and it also satisfies the OCD compulsion of players who like to grind. But now, unless there's some short mission where proud souls can be farmed effectively, it's just going to be frustrating trying to grind out enough proud souls to upgrade Nero/Dante early on.

LowParry

ElyrionX said:
The proud soul system truly sucks.

Orb farming has ALWAYS been a DMC staple because it makes the game easier for weaker players who are willing to put in the time and effort, and it also satisfies the OCD compulsion of players who like to grind. But now, unless there's some short mission where proud souls can be farmed effectively, it's just going to be frustrating trying to grind out enough proud souls to upgrade Nero/Dante early on.

And...?

dralla

I think it's time to change the thread title, the demo is old news.

anyway! I put in DMC1 and couldn't even play it, Dante is just too limited. So now I'm playing some DMC3. It would be cool if DMC4 could recognize your save files from DMC3 and unlock hidden costumes and give you some red orbs.

Top Bottom