• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

ElyrionX

Oh, BTW, I picked up a PS3 just to play this game early and boy, the analog stick on the PS3 truly sucks. It's too goddamn loose and the position is just too uncomfortable especially when you get used to the 360's analog stick.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I like the controller since playstation 1, dont know what troubles people have with it but i have no problems whatsoever. Neither with the 360 joypad. The xbox1 joypad i did have problems with, it was too fucking big :lol

But i prefer the Dualshock 3 over the 360 pad.

Mamesj

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Once again: Nope! :p

Just his 5 missions.

I hate to say this but....

raiden? lol

it'll be fun to play as Nero I'm sure, but it sounds like Dante is clearly the character that is more fun to play as.

Pedobear said:
What the fuck is wrong with GAF. One guy with shit taste says the game sucks and the hive mind just agrees. It's like personnal opinion is void in here.

Ridiculous.

ummm..if you follow the thread, no one is saying it sucks, but the people who have played it are shedding light on the more unfortunate parts of the game. That's all. no reason to cry.

Bebpo

Banned
Mamesj said:

raiden? lol

it'll be fun to play as Nero I'm sure, but it sounds like Dante is clearly the character that is more fun to play as.

Yeah, DMC4's approach is a lot like the Raiden/Snake approach. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that was where the idea came from. The difference (for better or worse depending on the player) is that in MGS2 when you got Raiden even though he looked different, he played 100% identical to Snake so the gameplay was the same old MGS gameplay. In DMC4 the 'Raiden' character is completely different from Dante so 75% of the game is not the same old DMC, but rather something new and different.

Kyoufu

Mamesj said:

raiden? lol

lol

Well it is disappointing but Dante is just so fucking powerful, it'd be way too easy to beat the game as him I bet.

I hear he absolutely DESTROYS bosses in the game. They probably had to introduce a new main character to give the game some challenge.

I just want to know why we're not playing as Vergil..oh wait...

Newduck

Just beat it, in a very short sitting but enjoyable.

Kinda indifferent, its good no doubt but its definitely abit off compared to DMC3.

The pacing is just strange, you spend 70% of the game as Nero, who's moveset & arsenal don't really change, then you get a stint as Dante, who's moveset is already pretty strong, and getting a new weapon every mission.

Nero is similar to Virgil in the sense that what you start with is what you've got for the remainder, but..I think both his gun and the devil bringer were completely underutilized. His main trick is with the EX revving but, unless you're really conscious of it all the time, and can naturally get the timing right then i think its more of a chore for it being his only quirk.

Its definitely short on levels too, 20 missions with almost half backtracking is not really on. They should have perhaps done it ala DMC2, with the two characters having independent quests, the backtracking wouldn't feel so bad if you were "replaying" or going through a second character quest, but it didnt feel like it.

Its not as solid as DMC3 SE overall, but its still good, i'm not a huge fan of Dante's arsenal in this but the style switching and proud soul re-allocation system is good.

Without a strong change i think they've gone as far as they can with Dante's current system. While the style switching in this is good, the whole things getting kinda convoluted and I can't imagine what they can do to tweak it to keep him feeling fresh without starting abit from scratch.

rockman zx said:
Then, the general consensus is that DMC3:SE is a superior game despite DMC4 is an enjoyable game?.

No. The general consensus is like of one person.

The general consensus begins Feb 6th (on wed).

I say this because in my book DMC1 >>>> DMC3.

The whole, 60,000 weapons and shit of dmc3 didn't appeal to me. The atmosphere, tension, and feel of DMC1 did.

So, if Nero has fewer weapons than Dante from DMC3, that doesn't bother me.

So there is no general consensus.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
lol

Well it is disappointing but Dante is just so fucking powerful, it'd be way too easy to beat the game as him I bet.

I hear he absolutely DESTROYS bosses in the game. They probably had to introduce a new main character to give the game some challenge.

They could've just made the game more challenging to balance off Dante's power. That would have been more in line with what they said when DMC4 was unveiled; that there's no going back from DMC3's difficulty direction.

I think the game works for what it is and works pretty well within the constraints of being a Nero game. I also think this game will do much better with the mainstream audience and Nero is more about how to use his abilities like other action games and not about which ability to use.

I'm sure if the big DMC3 fans were to make DMC4, it'd be all Dante with real-time style changing on the d-pad + learning a new style after each major boss and setting them in the menu to the four d-pad directions in addition to like 6 physical weapons & 6 shooting weapons all with real-time changing on L2/R2 and like 15 hardcore bosses. But then that kind of stuff would scare the hell out of the general public and the sales would be worse than DMC3.

DMC4 is definitely a balance between old fans and new players. Between appealing to hardcore action game fans and actually selling and making money in this gen of high production costs.

C- Warrior said:
So, if Nero has fewer weapons than Dante from DMC3, that doesn't bother me.

Does it bother you that he has fewer weapons than Dante from DMC1, 2, or 3?

Kyoufu

MiamiWesker said:
Then the game fails. :(

How am I supposed to explore the depth of Dante's moves with 5 measly levels.

One mission with a decent number of enemies on DMD is all you need. Either that or Bloody Palace!

Bebpo said:
I'm sure if the big DMC3 fans were to make DMC4, it'd be all Dante with real-time style changing on the d-pad + learning a new style after each major boss and setting them in the menu to the four d-pad directions in addition to like 6 physical weapons & 6 shooting weapons all with real-time changing on L2/R2 and like 15 hardcore bosses. But then that kind of stuff would scare the hell out of the general public and the sales would be worse than DMC3.

No kidding. I think any of us here on GAF could make a better structured DMC game after experiencing DMC3. I would personally revive Vergil, give him a few brand new styles and split the game 50/50 with him and Dante. Nero is nice but its clear that he was aimed at new players moreso than longtime fans.

Kyoufu said:
One mission with a decent number of enemies on DMD is all you need. Either that or Bloody Palace!

I'm still buying the game and I will still love it, I am just kind of upset right now. I think DMC3 is the greatest action game ever, sounds like we are taking a step back.

MiamiWesker said:
I think DMC3 is the greatest action game ever, sounds like we are taking a step back.

Depends on who you ask, really. For DMC1 fans, it's probably a step forward. For DMC3 fans, it's a massive step back for the most part.

MiamiWesker said:
But thats just one area repeating, I feel like playing him through a whole adventure, slowly building him up, blood palace is almost like cheating. Its not the same.

Not to mention that Bloody Palace has a time limit now, and it's more like the Mercenaries minigame in RE4 now.

Bebpo said:
They could've just made the game more challenging to balance off Dante's power. That would have been more in line with what they said when DMC4 was unveiled; that there's no going back from DMC3's difficulty direction.

I think the game works for what it is and works pretty well within the constraints of being a Nero game. I also think this game will do much better with the mainstream audience and Nero is more about how to use his abilities like other action games and not about which ability to use.

DMC4 is definitely a balance between old fans and new players. Between appealing to hardcore action game fans and actually selling and making money in this gen of high production costs.

Does it bother you that he has fewer weapons than Dante from DMC1, 2, or 3?

Oh you A.D.D kids.

A good combat system is not the "amount of combos d00de ozmygod" that one can pull off. This isn't marvel vs. capcom. It's about enemy interaction, about each attack and move having a distinct purpose.

A lot of shit in DMC3 felt useless. Entire weapons, I wouldn't even use.

As I said before, Castlevania Symphony of the Night probably has the best combat system of any action / adventure game, yet Alucard can really only do one sword slash? Why...I'll let you figure it out.

Also, Capcom is trying to attract new - gamers with DMC4, the ones who gave up on the series after DMC1, they wanted Nero to be more approachable, they wanted his attacks to be more obvious, his moves to be more context based (using devil bringer against bosses).

So I said, me -- being in the DMC 1 >>> DMC 3 camp, nothing I'm hearing thus far is bothering me. Repeating bosses? DMC1 had em', and I enjoyed that. It let me go against a boss that's harder, but I have more moves. Kind of like round 2? (PS: How many times did we all fight Berial again in the demo? it's a fun fight, so who cares if it's done more than once).

As people have said before.

If you liked DMC1 more than DMC3, -- DMC4 will be your favorite. If you liked DMC3 more than DMC1, you'll think (at least in weapon repetoire) that DMC4 is a step back.

You can already see it with reviewers, James Mielke (of 1up fame) loved DMC1...didn't think too much of DMC3. He gave DMC3 a 7.0, but gave DMC4 a 9. James Brandon, of gametrailers --- didn't think too much of DMC1. He gave DMC3 a 9, and DMC4 a 8.6.

Bebpo

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
But thats just one area repeating, I feel like playing him through a whole adventure, slowly building him up, blood palace is almost like cheating. Its not the same.

Well since Dante basically plays through the whole game in his missions, you can just keep replaying those missions on higher difficulties in addition to Bloody Palace.

C- Warrior said:

That's great. The whole point of it being there is for people who are not you.

Giving you lots of options is about FUN. I know you don't seem to care much about just having fun and a good time with all kinds of attacks and combos. But a lot of people enjoy it! Even if a weapon is not the most useful one, sometimes people will use it because it's fun! to do something different.

I guess Ninja Gaiden 2 should only have 1 weapon the entire game as long as it would be the most useful one even if there were more, right?

Bebpo said:
Well since Dante basically plays through the whole game in his missions, you can just keep replaying those missions on higher difficulties in addition to Bloody Palace.

That's great. The whole point of it being there is for people who are not you.

Giving you lots of options is about FUN. I know you don't seem to care much about just having fun and a good time with all kinds of attacks and combos. But a lot of people enjoy it! Even if a weapon is not the most useful one, sometimes people will use it because it's fun! to do something different.

I guess Ninja Gaiden 2 should only have 1 weapon the entire game as long as it would be the most useful one even if there were more, right?

Sure, all I used in NG was the sword because it was the most effective.

This focus on options is probably why I've grown to hate RPG's. Extra choices are pointless if they serve no purpose.

Nevan = pointless (other than for youtube combo videos)
Artemis = pointless
Sniper Rifle thingy = pointless

All these weapons in DMC3 I wouldn't even use.

Bebpo

Banned
C- Warrior said:

This focus on options is probably why I've grown to hate RPG's. Extra choices are pointless if they serve no purpose.

Artemis = pointless

That's great, but Nevan was my favorite weapon in DMC3 and I enjoy the game more because I get to beat the shit out of enemies using a rocking guitar.

I'm very glad Capcom did not listen to you and not put it in DMC3.

Bebpo said:

Oh so even though its fewer missions Dante still goes through basically the entire game, would you say its like 50/50 between the two.

Kyoufu

I think without a doubt the most disappointing and for me the worst aspect of DMC4 is the story.

I realise that the action genre isn't known for storytelling but DMC1 and DMC3SE did it right. DMC4 is just wrong.

massive spoilers:

Introducing a new main character is all fine and dandy, but why not atleast give us background info? No character development? What is this shit? It is said that Nero has the blood of Sparda, BUT IT DOESN'T SAY HOW HE GOT IT. It is said that he is part of Nelo Angelo's soul, just like the other Angelo creations in the Order but the thing that gets me is HE HAS EXACTLY THE SAME NAME AS NELO ANGELO IN DMC1. WHY DOES HE HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME NAME?! I don't understand. If they don't explain any of this in DMC5 then wow, epic failure.

I have to take back what I said when I played the demo, this probably isn't the best DMC game ever, or maybe I'm just weird when I pay attention to the storyline.

C- Warrior said:

Artemis = pointless

I used them, Nevan especially was an incredible weapon, extremely usefull in getting SSS combos. I find good uses for all the weapons in DMC3, its the deepest action game I have played.

Lightning

Banned
C- Warrior said:

Artemis = pointless

Pointless because you lack the skill to use them effectively? Because Nevan and Artemis were awesome weapons that allowed for amazing combos, mass damage and excellent classy style ranks. Nevan was one of the best crowd control weapons in the game once you took the time to master it. Life is simple when you can kick ass with a simple sword, except you end up with DMC2 level boredom.

C- Warrior said:

Artemis = pointless

I used Spiral extensively when i played DMC3SE for the 1st time. It breaks virgils guard during the second fight, made it really easy to goad him into attacking so i could dodge and own him.

dralla said:
Did you really just say Nevan is pointless? oh my. And Artemis is godlike if you like to use Gunslinger.

I don't know about this, explain please.

Edit: Never mind got confused with weapon names for a sec. :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Lightning said:
Pointless because you lack the skill to use them effectively? Because Nevan and Artemis were awesome weapons that allowed for amazing combos, mass damage and excellent classy style ranks. Nevan was one of the best crowd control weapons in the game once you took the time to master it. Life is simple when you can kick ass with a simple sword, except you end up with DMC2 level boredom.

Yep yep, hell the damn guitar was my favorite weapon to use as well as the fists! The get the blood boiling to such a point that its just pure awesome!

Kyoufu

dralla said:
Did you really just say Nevan is pointless? oh my. And Artemis is godlike if you like to use Gunslinger.

Nevan is great to use on DMD against the archer type enemies since you're immune to projectile attacks.

You've been playing it wrong C-warrior.

Lightning

Banned
dralla said:
Indeed Atremis was. I can't believe he tried to belittle them just to defend DMC4... amazing.

Kyoufu said:
Nevan is great to use on DMD against the archer type enemies since you're immune to projectile attacks.

You've been playing it wrong C-warrior.

Nope.

Rebellion + Cerberus and Ebony Ivory + Shotty is all I need.

And trust me, little girl, you don't play DMC3 better than I do. =p

C- Warrior said:
Nope.

What a surprise, you just stuck with the first weapons you got, how original. You did not bother to explore the options the game gives you, thats fine but don't say it makes the game worse when they give you those options. You found a way to enjoy DMC3 without even getting into the other weapons, it was a flexable system. This game will now force us to play with a simple character for half the game, no choices for us that like having combat options. Its not better in any way, its a step back.

Ello

ElyrionX said:
Oh, BTW, I picked up a PS3 just to play this game early and boy, the analog stick on the PS3 truly sucks. It's too goddamn loose and the position is just too uncomfortable especially when you get used to the 360's analog stick.

The sticks on the sixaxis really do suck but the ones on the DS3 are great.

Compared to the DS3 the sixaxis feels like it was made in a barn somewhere by four chimps.

Mrbob

Did C Warrior do a 180 to defend DMC4?

Because I remember you ripping Ninja Gaiden apart for not having real time weapon switching and stance changes ala DMC3. :p

Lightning

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Nope.

Then you are a very shallow DMC player. We all have our weapon preferences but mastering more weapons = more replay value and different strokes (In this case weapons) for different folks.

You can't justify such narrow-minded ignorance by passing off such a arrogant, condescending attitude. When it comes to DMC you are full of shit because you are a blind fan who sees only what he wants to see and ignores the rest.

C- Warrior said:

Artemis = pointless

And you call yourself a DMC fan :|

slade

Vyse The Legend said:
Depends on who you ask, really. For DMC1 fans, it's probably a step forward. For DMC3 fans, it's a massive step back for the most part.

This fucking pisses me off because I loved DMC3 and really, it felt like a natural evolution in the action game genre to allow active weapon switching. Should've known Kobayashi would mess with that because all through his interviews he kept saying how he wanted to make a successor to DMC1. Sounds like DMC4 suffers from identity crisis because of that.

Mrbob

Poor C Warrior is getting gang banged.

Perhaps we should get back to talking about DMC4. Just a couple more days!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
C- Warrior said:
Oh you A.D.D kids.

A good combat system is not the "amount of combos d00de ozmygod" that one can pull off. This isn't marvel vs. capcom. It's about enemy interaction, about each attack and move having a distinct purpose.

As I said before, Castlevania Symphony of the Night probably has the best combat system of any action / adventure game, yet Alucard can really only do one sword slash? etrailers --- didn't think too much of DMC1. He gave DMC3 a 9, and DMC4 a 8.6.
I can hardly believe what I'm reading here.

Top Bottom