• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
DeadGzuz said:
Consider the constant DVD noise from the 360 and you find out the time is the lesser of the concerns.

I don't care about the console's other attributes-- I care about how DMC4 runs on it (for the purposes of this thread). I swear, it's every day that I switch my mind about which version to buy. I was going to buy the 360 version yesterday (but trust me, the day before that I had my eyes set on the PS3 version), but then I read Bepbo's comment about how controlling Dante would be impossible on the 360 controller.

dirtmonkey37 said:
I don't care about the console's other attributes-- I care about how DMC4 runs on it (for the purposes of this thread). I swear, it's every day that I switch my mind about which version to buy. I was going to buy the 360 version yesterday (but trust me, the day before that I had my eyes set on the PS3 version), but then I read Bepbo's comment about how controlling Dante would be impossible on the 360 controller.

You'll adjust.

And it also helps that each and every button can be fully customed in the retail build.

Mamesj

Banned
lupinko said:
Did anyone mention yet that the game is only actually 640p?

Multiplatform am fail. =x

oh god not this shit again. as in, people actually caring about this sort of thing (not the res.)

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
C- Warrior said:
You'll adjust.

And it also helps that each and every button can be fully customed in the retail build.

I'm still unsure. I'm just going to keep my eye on this thread for the time being (until Wednesday) and then make my decision. I have seriously been changing my decision of which copy to purchase every single day: DMC is a very sensitive franchise to me; I need to play the version that suits me best to reap all the excitement and satisfaction that comes with a DMC. I've been having trouble finding the version that suits me best :D

hteng

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:

unless you are a hardcore DMC player you probably won't mind the 360's controller. I'm playin the ps3 ver and i think playin dante is like trying to break my fingers, and i always end up getting killed in the process. While in theory the freedom of switching styles in combat is awesome, most of the time you will stick with one or two effective combos or style because the monsters are constantly annoying you, breaking your combos..etc.

Mamesj

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
I'm still unsure. I'm just going to keep my eye on this thread for the time being (until Wednesday) and then make my decision. I have seriously been changing my decision of which copy to purchase every single day: DMC is a very sensitive franchise to me; I need to play the version that suits me best to reap all the excitement and satisfaction that comes with a DMC. I've been having trouble finding the version that suits me best :D

The games are the same, so go with what you're used to. The PS3 version will be like playing the PS2 version, only with those weird R2+L2 buttons.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Synless said:
I don't know if anyone called this yet, but if not could some one avatar this for me?

Damn that really sucks haha poor Nero he needs to clear out before celebration.

Mrbob

I will say it is a bit annoying that the PS3 version has a 5GB install when the loading times aren't that different. Doesn't sony have some sort of hdd caching system in place like MS does on the X360? Seems like a waste to use 1/11 of my hdd on one game when it adds 0.4 second improvement in loading.

Jigsaw

Banned
Mrbob said:
I will say it is a bit annoying that the PS3 version has a 5GB install when the loading times aren't that different. Doesn't sony have some sort of hdd caching system in place like MS does on the X360? Seems like a waste to use 1/11 of my hdd on one game when it adds 0.4 second improvement in loading.

cutscenes take longer,as you may have read

5 seconds (noiseless) > 15 seconds (RATATATATATAT)

Does anyone know how media create treats bundle sales?

DMC4 was bundled with PS3's and 360's. Does the sale tally onto the console sale, or to the software sale? ... or both

Dance-Macabre.gif

Kyoufu

C-warrior, awesome GIFs. Can you make one of the gunlance enemies? Theres a part where one of them does a gun-shot, just like in Monster Hunter.

Salazar

Even though I'm going to be the most vulnerable novice at this, my first DMC, that GIF just made it a very, very confident day-one. Roll on Thursday (this means I have to get working on TR-A and the rest of COD4).

tino

Banned
Mrbob said:

You don't think that's a big difference? It's about that difference between a PS2 and a PS2+HDloader to me. That's huge. It's like switching from a Toyota Puris to a Toyota Celica (I keep them in the sane car maker so you car nuts won't jump on me.) Sure Celica is slower than a Porsche but its still a big upgrade.

HD install and HD cache is exactly the smae thing with different names, jesus.

FiRez

I was never a fan of the previous DMC games but this demo is amazing, it looks superb sometimes even better than GoW and the gameplay is very fun, throwing those enemies in the ice level = :lol

Mugen

Banned
Mrbob said:

Not every load time is gonna be shorter by .4 seconds. Depends on the level and area.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
lupinko said:
Did anyone mention yet that the game is only actually 640p?

Multiplatform am fail. =x

quaz51 on b3d, who i believe started this business of counting pixel stairsteps to determine native resolutions, says it's full 720p on both platforms

Kyoufu said:
C-warrior, awesome GIFs. Can you make one of the gunlance enemies? Theres a part where one of them does a gun-shot, just like in Monster Hunter.

Dave 1988 made them.

But yeah, that is the ultimate GTFO .gif.

drohne said:
quaz51 on b3d, who i believe started this business of counting pixel stairsteps to determine native resolutions, says it's full 720p on both platforms

You would think that settles the debate, but it won't. Oh the internetz.

Dahbomb

maskrider said:
Anybody finds the secret mission 03 really frustrating ? I really hate that mission. Raise your style without using attacks, who the hell created this fucking mission !
Use taunts right next to the opponent.

BradVanDam said:
I never played any of the devil may cry games before whats the best way for me to find out what happens in the games?
PS3 version has a install during which you get information of the series. When you beat the game you get a video called "History of DMC".

Dahbomb said:

LOL. Common DMC knowledge for the lose.

The game does mention the function of the select/back button in the tutorials - or at least on the in-game control prompt screens.

Kyoufu

Dahbomb said:

And Just-roll/jump as you're about to get attacked!

Or use Dante and Just-Guard. (if you can use Dante that is).

C- Warrior said:

The game does mention the function of the select/back button in the tutorials - or at least on the in-game control prompt screens.

I don't think taunting is enough, the mission probably wants to teach you just-evades to raise that meter.

C- Warrior said:
Doesn't rebounding gain you style points as well?

So just keep on hopping up and down on-top of the enemies.

I don't remember, if so then thats pretty cool.

Kyoufu said:
And Just-roll/jump as you're about to get attacked!

Or use Dante and Just-Guard. (if you can use Dante that is).

Doesn't rebounding gain you style points as well?

So just keep on hopping up and down on-top of the enemies.

Dahbomb

Rebounding doesn't give you insane style boost neither does just evade. The only other option is Just Parry but I think Mission#3 is for Nero.

Dahbomb said:
Rebounding doesn't give you insane style boost neither does just evade. The only other option is Just Parry but I think Mission#3 is for Nero.

Using snatch increases your style meter as well.

I don't know if 'snatch' is a form of an attack and would violate the rules of the secret mission.

Mugen

Banned
Dahbomb said:

Evading just at the nick of time gives insane style boost.

Dahbomb

Dance-Macabre.gif

Is this the new Dance Macaber move? BAD ASS!!! :lol

Oh and keep the Son of Sparda difficulty mode impressions coming. It sounds like the REAL difficulty to play DMC4 on.

maskrider

Dahbomb said:

How close is "next to" ?

Taunts didn't do anything from what I've tried, and you got attacked easily.

C- Warrior said:

Do you mean I don't even know the taunt button ? I posted a short taunts video of the demo in a very early page, if you didn't notice.

I use snatch and enemy step, tried about 30 times and didn't make it yet. The bar raised but I usually got attacked when I'm about to make it.

And for evading at the right moment, the input lag makes it more likely a guessing game.

Kyoufu

maskrider said:
How close is "next to" ?

Anywhere in the general vicinity is fine. Once the taunt is completed your style is raised. You can get taunts off with decent distance from the enemy, and remember if you're going to get attacked, time your roll or jump so you still get a style increase.

maskrider

Kyoufu said:
Anywhere in the general vicinity is fine. Once the taunt is completed your style is raised. You can get taunts off with decent distance from the enemy, and remember if you're going to get attacked, time your roll or jump so you still get a style increase.

I mean in secret mission 3, I don't mean taunts in general.

Taunts does not have much effect from what I've tried.

maskrider

Dahbomb said:
In DMC4 from the demo, you have to be HUMPING the enemy to get the style boost from a taunt. I am dead serious.

That's why I asked. I didn't mean you are not serious. I've never tried taunts right besides a non-stunt enemy.

Dahbomb

In DMC4 they are extremely toned down. You have to be A) Humping proximity of enemy and B) Keep it depressed for some taunts. Some of the taunts you go on for a really long time if you keep it up.

My advice is to use Snatch and then Taunt. Unless Snatch counts as an attack then it becomes really hard.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
hteng said:
unless you are a hardcore DMC player you probably won't mind the 360's controller. I'm playin the ps3 ver and i think playin dante is like trying to break my fingers, and i always end up getting killed in the process. While in theory the freedom of switching styles in combat is awesome, most of the time you will stick with one or two effective combos or style because the monsters are constantly annoying you, breaking your combos..etc.

Well, I'm not, but if the 360 controller is going to limit me from being one, then PS3 version it is.

Just watch me switch over to the 360 version tomorrow over some trivial and stupid reason. I just need someone to ****ing buy this for me so I don't have to make the choice myself. I swear, I'm OCD over stuff like this :D. I have DS3 too!

Question: for the instant-revving maneuver, do you guys quickly tap the L2 trigger or push it down a tad more? I know how to do it (I get it for 80% of the attacks), but I'm wondering what works best. I'm afraid if I don't push the L2 button down far enough, it might not register (I currently do not have my PS3 near me to try it out), but that jeapordizes my combat speed (when I push it down).

Top Bottom