• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Dahbomb

That's why when the final game comes you move Exceed to L1 and move Devil Trigger to R2. When you have Exceed placed at L1 it will make timings much better.

hteng

Banned
maskrider said:
How close is "next to" ?

Taunts didn't do anything from what I've tried, and you got attacked easily.

Do you mean I don't even know the taunt button ? I posted a short taunts video of the demo in a very early page, if you didn't notice.

I use snatch and enemy step, tried about 30 times and didn't make it yet. The bar raised but I usually got attacked when I'm about to make it.

And for evading at the right moment, the input lag makes it more likely a guessing game.

yes the secret mission is annoying but it's doable.

the easiest way to raise style imo is through taunting and just-evading. Pick the frost lizard as your target, the scarecrows are slow and barely attacks, but keep an eye on them.

ok now you have the frost lizard locked, keep a distance from him, if he's too close snatch him to one corner and go to the other. watch him closely, remember his attack patterns, then keep taunting him, the more you taunt the more aggressive it'll get which means more style points, taunting also keeps your style gauge from dropping.

now the frost lizard has a few attacks

-Split ice spikes, these are easy to dodge, just jump up

-shooting ice spikes, keep an eye on his arm, if you see spikes on both arms remember to dodge two times, time the attacks correctly, the first attack comes rather fast, the second attack will delay abit

-shooting ice on the ground, ok these are pretty annoying coz they leave the ice on the ground and will damage if you get close. The frost will jump and and shoot, so watch for the jump, then evade forward at the right time.

-shooting ice towers at you, this is the best move to get points, it is slow and you can time it easily for a just-evade. the frost will raise its hand and slams it down the floor, a pillar of ice will move towards you, DO NOT EVADE immediately, it is slow and has good tracking, only evade at the last moment (hence why you need a distance). This move is easily anticipated so try to exploit it as much as possible.

-Rushing claws, uppercut, melee attacks.etc, these moves are very difficult to anticipate as they comes out rather fast, good thing they don't use it often but will use if you are close enough.

-Ice towers, the frost will jump up and slam the floor creating pillars of ice surrounding it, this is easy to evade, you can even snatch it out of the sky. Only used when you are close.

To finish the mission, you need at least a C rank in style. As i said, the first thing you need to learn is their attack patterns, you will get used to it after a few tries. Then you can start evading, it also helps if you learnt table hopper. Table hopper lets you know if you've done a just-evade, you'll slide to the side instead of rolling.

Also, snatching and hopping raise style points, they don't raise much but they help maintain your gauge. Keep taunting it, you can always cancel out a taunt by rolling or jumping.

I think i wasted like 1 hour or so to get this mission, so good luck

hteng

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Well, I'm not, but if the 360 controller is going to limit me from being one, then PS3 version it is.

Just watch me switch over to the 360 version tomorrow over some trivial and stupid reason. I just need someone to ****ing buy this for me so I don't have to make the choice myself. I swear, I'm OCD over stuff like this :D. I have DS3 too!

Question: for the instant-revving maneuver, do you guys quickly tap the L2 trigger or push it down a tad more? I know how to do it (I get it for 80% of the attacks), but I'm wondering what works best. I'm afraid if I don't push the L2 button down far enough, it might not register (I currently do not have my PS3 near me to try it out), but that jeapordizes my combat speed (when I push it down).

the PS3 L2 R2 triggers are not too good (too deep), but tapping is good enough for instant rev (i use L2 for reving, i'm just used to it). I usually don't try too hard to do revs, i just do it as i go, if i missed one, so be it, focus on the next attack. The flow of your attacks are more important if you are concerned about combat speed/pace. I still suck at revving, probably only 70% of the time and i can't seem rev combo B attacks, too lazy to go learn again.

KINGMOKU

I've played the demo on both (PS3/360), and I havnt noticed anything different between the two. The game wasnt fun on either platform.

Kyoufu said:
Apparantly when you die on a boss you have to re-do the mission.....

Not sure what to say to that really.

No, you don't. There have been plenty of reviews that have mentioned the Special Edition implemented checkpoint system.

Kyoufu

C- Warrior said:
No, you don't. There have been plenty of reviews that have mentioned the Special Edition implemented checkpoint system.

Really? I'm reading posts on GFAQs where people with the game say there is no checkpoint system in place.

Can bebpo or hteng or maskrider confirm?

hteng

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Apparantly when you die on a boss you have to re-do the mission.....

Not sure what to say to that really.

na, you either continue or retry the mission. If you continue, your score will only include the boss fight, not the whole mission, and you get penalties which means less style points.

the check points are scarce actually, if you die in boss fights you will always continue before the boss fight but if you die in the middle of the mission, you might start from the begining or somewhere far away.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Kyoufu said:
Really? I'm reading posts on GFAQs where people with the game say there is no checkpoint system in place.

Can bebpo or hteng or maskrider confirm?

You start at the room right before it: usually has a golden statue or something there. Just like you would in Mega Man.

^^^What hteng said.

Kyoufu

hteng said:
na, you either continue or retry the mission. If you continue, your score will only include the boss fight, not the whole mission, and you get penalties which means less style points.

Ah I see. Thats pretty good then. Thanks :)

maskrider

Kyoufu said:
Ah I see. Thats pretty good then. Thanks :)

And continue a few times will cause enemy handicap for the mission.

hteng said:
yes the secret mission is annoying but it's doable.

... snip ...

I think i wasted like 1 hour or so to get this mission, so good luck

Thank you. I'll try.

I used snatch and enemy step because I have watched videos of others doing it, the best I've done is almost a full style bar but got ruined by an attack nearby, ha ha ! Really annoying secret mission !

123rl

I'll ask this in a spoiler even though I think it's already been mentioned

When you finish the game, can you re-play the missions as either Dante or Nero?

I've read that you can do this but was looking for confirmation of some kind

Kyoufu

123rl said:
I'll ask this in a spoiler even though I think it's already been mentioned

When you finish the game, can you re-play the missions as either Dante or Nero?

I've read that you can do this but was looking for confirmation of some kind

You can only re-play the missions that both characters were in to begin with. So you can't go through the whole game as Dante, but only the 5 or so that he was in originally.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
OniShiro said:
But, but the 360 version has achievements !

STOP!!! :lol

Haha. But seriously, I think I'm set on the PS3 version now. I wish my triangle button had just a bit more resistance to it, but hey, what can you do. The only problem I have with the PS3 is the darkness that results from the higher contrast and the subtle blur that results from the temporal AA. However, I'm not willing to remedy these nuisances at the expense of ease-of-play and general enjoyment by purchasing the 360 version.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
BradVanDam said:
Ease of Play ? Enjoyment?

Sony Bot much?

why is he a sony bot? Because he prefers the controller more? So if he said he is just buying the game for achievements to add on his Gamerscore he would be an xbot?

neojubei said:
why is he a sony bot? Because he prefers the controller more? So if he said he is just buying the game for achievements to add on his Gamerscore he would be an xbot?

Yes and yes. Both of those things make you robots.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Drewsy said:

wow nothing, if someone prefers a controller then thats that, jez. Calling people "sonybots" and crap, this is what this thread will probably come down to.

And that comment is well stupid. Just ask the FPS gamers that hate the PS3 controller because of the analog placement or does this just concern games that are better with the PS3 controller?

probably should have added a smile to the end didnt mean for it to come off offensive and stuff.

im just saying the 360 controller is no different because its not as if you need to do left,right,left , right down , up b commands for this game. I could undestand with maybe street fighter but on the same token the fighting stick is better. So really it comes down to it the ps3 six axis is pretty much good for nothing a game has to be really good on the ps3 for me to use the six axis i mean ive used worse controllers like the original xbox controller but now that we have shoulder buttons on the top it doesnt make that much different and myself i dont go out of my way for acheivements if i get one im like sweet but i dont be like i have to do this and this to get acheivements or else im not done with it.

Drewsy

Banned
I'm a fan of action games. All I'm saying is that even though I don't have a ps3, it's not going to hold me back from becoming fuck awesome at this game. Mind over matter, man.

I got a crispy new black controller for dmc4, I noticed the face/shoulder buttons are a lot more loose. Which is good.

Kyoufu

BradVanDam said:
probably should have added a smile to the end didnt mean for it to come off offensive and stuff.

im just saying the 360 controller is no different because its not as if you need to do left,right,left , right down , up b commands for this game. I could undestand with maybe street fighter but on the same token the fighting stick is better. So really it comes down to it the ps3 six axis is pretty much good for nothing a game has to be really good on the ps3 for me to use the six axis i mean ive used worse controllers like the original xbox controller but now that we have shoulder buttons on the top it doesnt make that much different and myself i dont go out of my way for acheivements if i get one im like sweet but i dont be like i have to do this and this to get acheivements or else im not done with it.

x360gaf.gif

f@luS

More than a member.
Any words on the 360 version and the supposed tearing? last 2 video i saw, was terrible so id like to know. I intend to buy them both (CE PS3 / classic 360) but cant bear tearing :x

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I finally got PSN to work, so I got to play the demo.

I fucking love it. It sort of feels like the same thing as before (lots of fighting, huge bosses), but a lot better.

Righty10

So, does anyone know if the EB/Gamestops will be getting this game tomorrow, considering BB and the rest of the other retailers won't get it 'til Wednesday?

IGN REVIEW

8.5 Presentation
While this is more Nero's story than Dante's, this chapter of the DMC franchise maintains just about every facet of the series fans have come to know and love.
9.0 Graphics
Visually arresting and vibrantly depicted, this is one of those games that showcases the power of your system.
9.0 Sound
From sarcasm to apathy, the dialogue is almost perfectly delivered. Mixed with the trademark electrometal soundtrack, this is DMC through and through.
8.5 Gameplay
Dante feels more like an afterthought than a real addition, the Exceed system is a bit weak, and the repetitive level design is particularly dismaying.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Six difficulty levels, survival modes and other extras will keep you playing for a long time.
Great OVERALL

f@luS said:
Any words on the 360 version and the supposed tearing? last 2 video i saw, was terrible so id like to know. I intend to buy them both (CE PS3 / classic 360) but cant bear tearing :x

Zero tearing in the PS3 version. It has vsync turned on and it temporarily switches to a locked 30fps mode if it can't keep up 60fps. But 99% of the time it is locked at 60fps.

The only version with tearing is the 360 version but it's supposed to be pretty minimal.

FFChris

The pixel counting, "not true HD!" crowd are starting to piss me off now.

It's 640p, so what? It looks fucking fantastic!

It's not 640p. If it were, people would be correct to gripe about it not being true HD. But it's not, and it's a goddamn gorgeous game.

MechaX

IGN said:
Dante Must Die mode is much harder in this game than it ever was in DMC3, and will probably result in numerous controllers being shattered in frustration.

Hm... I'm actually quite intrigued now. Although, 360 controllers are quite expensive these days... And if this DMD mode eclipses DMC3's, then the urge to fling a controller is going to be quite tempting.

Gyoru

Live DMC4 Marathon Stream:

I'm going to try to beat the entire game on Devil Hunter today and then the next difficulty of Wednesday.

Lince

Banned
PuppetMaster said:
Zero tearing in the PS3 version. It has vsync turned on and it temporarily switches to a locked 30fps mode if it can't keep up 60fps. But 99% of the time it is locked at 60fps.

I just hope it never slows down during combat, how is the frame rate in the forest area?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Nero is pretty awesome.

Sure is not as cool as the badass cocky Dante or as the badass less talkin more killin Hayabusa, but as far as emolandia goes, Nero is awesome, better than Kratos in my book.

Top Bottom