• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

deepbrown

pswii60 said:
Do we know if the occasional framerate stuttering of the PS3 demo is sorted in the final release? Still debating of which version to go for.
There was no framerate stuttering on the PS3 demo. Only cutscenes might play between 60fps and 30fps.

deepbrown

Bebpo said:
It reads a little slower, but not really noticably. I'd imagine without install loads might be a second longer than the X360 ones.

Still doesn't explain why it's the only PS3 game with a forced 20+ min install before you can play.
PS3 drive does not read Blu-ray slower than a double layer DVD on the 360 - which DMC4 is.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I wish this game was being released tomorrow instead of shipping tomorrow. I still haven't received my call from EB.

pswii60

deepbrown said:
There was no framerate stuttering on the PS3 demo. Only cutscenes might play between 60fps and 30fps.

There is in certain parts. For example when you go through the first door and it pans around the room, small jerk. More noticeably when you go higher up and it pans out showing all the monsters outside, goes a bit jerky while 360 version is constant 60. This has already been discussed. Just wanted to know if those issues had been resolved as they were my only gripe.

PS3 version it is anyway.

deepbrown said:
PS3 drive does not read Blu-ray slower than a double layer DVD on the 360 - which DMC4 is.

All 360 games are on dual layer discs for copy protection purposes. And you should listen to the 360 vs PS3 Criterion podcast for more info.

deepbrown

pswii60 said:
There is in certain parts. For example when you go through the first door and it pans around the room, small jerk. More noticeably when you go higher up and it pans out showing all the monsters outside, goes a bit jerky while 360 version is constant 60. This has already been discussed. Just wanted to know if those issues had been resolved as they were my only gripe.

PS3 version it is anyway.

No it hasn't. The only thing that has been discussed is that the 360 framerate is not as locked as the ps3 framerate. All that has been noted by reviewers (IGN video review) and others is that there is minimal tearing and fr probs on the 360 version. Care to quote those in this thread that said the PS3 version, but not the 360, had fr problems? 360 version is constant 30fps in cutscenes, not 60fps This may be what you are seeing in the panning (cutscene)

I'm very aware of the podcast and the read speeds of both consoles.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dralla said:
where is my SoS save file :[ c'mon
Dude, I'll give you one later. Though you might want to consider thinking before downloading it. You DO know that every orb and skill I buy will be transfered into the next game save (your SoS-save), right? :(

Mrbob

deepbrown said:

This is what confuses me about the required install of the PS3 version. Does sony not have a temporary hdd caching system in place like MS does with the X360?

dralla

even if I go to new game?

nooooo.jpg

deepbrown

Mrbob said:
This is what confuses me about the required install of the PS3 version. Does sony not have a temporary hdd caching system in place like MS does with the X360?

That is down to developers - ie. Naughty Dog had it nailed. No install and no loading.

"The constant read speed of Blu-Ray disc is an advantage, a great benefit in this regard and makes this far more predictable for games developers, this constant reading speed is also faster than the average reading speed available to dual-layer 360 DVDs (to simplify development, devs may even use worst case scenarios for determining how much data will be streamed at any time)."

MikeB http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9610851&postcount=604

"Much confusion in many blogger 360 fan articles relates to taking the max reading speed of a single layer XBox 360 DVD [12 speed max, only achieved on the outer edges of single layer discs) and compare this to sustained PS3 Blu-Ray read speeds of 9 MB/s."

Dave1988

Seiken said:
Dude, I'll give you one later. Though you might want to consider thinking before downloading it. You DO know that every orb and skill I buy will be transfered into the next game save (your SoS-save), right? :(

Plus, If this game really has HOME support you won't get any trophies.

pswii60

deepbrown said:
No it hasn't. The only thing that has been discussed is that the 360 framerate is not as locked as the ps3 framerate. All that has been noted by reviewers (IGN video review) and others is that there is minimal tearing and fr probs on the 360 version. Care to quote those in this thread that said the PS3 version, but not the 360, had fr problems? 360 version is constant 30fps in cutscenes, not 60fps This may be what you are seeing in the panning (cutscene)

I'm very aware of the podcast and the read speeds of both consoles.

The scene panning in 360 version is actually at a locked 60fps where PS3 stutters. Cutscenes in 360 version are indeed at 30fps. Come back when you've played both demos yourself.

Scene panning != cutscene.

Mrbob said:
More than likely, the simplest explanation is it's simply cheaper and required less time to force a HDD install on the PS3, than to actually optimize data on the disc, and they'd have to do that with or without a cache like the 360. GAF needs to realize that most of the differences we see between multi games right now has to do with time and money, not TEH AWESUMU POWA of their preferential consoles, but oh well, the ware rages on.

deepbrown

pswii60 said:
The scene panning in 360 version is actually at a locked 60fps where PS3 stutters. Cutscenes in 360 version are indeed at 30fps. Come back when you've played both demos yourself.

Scene panning != cutscene.

It's possible....for cutscene in DMC4 only means "when you're not playing". Come back when you show the validity of "this has already been discussed", unless you mean discussed in your own head.

pswii60

deepbrown said:
It's possible....for cutscene in DMC4 only means "when you're not playing".

Well in that case, going by your theory, some 360 cutscenes ARE actually locked to 60fps :p

But as I said, they're not real cutscenes, simply environment camera panning when you reach a new interesting area. 360 demo is locked to 60 with these while PS3 demo stutters. Actual cutscenes are 30 locked down on 360 and a stuttering 60 on PS3.

But I wasn't asking for a fucking argument deepbrown, I just wanted to know if those issues were sorted for the final build to determine which version to buy. So let's just leave it there.

I haven't played the full game yet, but I have to admit I'm a bit let down by the lack of a game built completely around Dantes skills. Nero was definitely fun to play as in the demo, but I would rather have a game built completely around Dante.

deepbrown

pswii60 said:
Well in that case, going by your theory, some 360 cutscenes ARE actually locked to 60fps :p

But as I said, they're not real cutscenes, simply environment camera panning when you reach a new interesting area. 360 demo is locked to 60 with these while PS3 demo stutters. Actual cutscenes are 30 locked down on 360 and a stuttering 60 on PS3.

But I wasn't asking for a fucking argument deepbrown, I just wanted to know if those issues were sorted for the final build to determine which version to buy. So let's just leave it there.
No. You stated while apparently speaking with "fact" that the PS3 demo stutters in gameplay, saying that this has already been discussed. When this has not been said here, or on Beyond3d. All that's been said is that the PS3 has v-sync turned on and the 360 version has minimal tearing (watch IGN video review for evidence).

So as someone who has played the PS3 demo and only sees a differing of fr in cutscenes which will be in the retail game also - where has this "already been discussed"?

For a stronger fr you'd best go with ps3 version, but if the wavering (frankly odd) cutscene framerate on the ps3 version offends you, go with the 360 version.

Bebpo said:
The demo was devil hunter difficulty.
That explains why I beat Beral on my first try on the retail version and 5th+ time on the demo, rofl. I thought I had read the demo was human so I was wondering wtf was going on.

pswii60

deepbrown said:
No. You stated while apparently speaking with "fact" that the PS3 demo stutters in gameplay, saying that this has already been discussed. When this has not been said here, or on Beyond3d. All that's been said is that the PS3 has v-sync turned on and the 360 version has minimal tearing (watch IGN video review for evidence).

So as someone who has played the PS3 demo and only sees a differing of fr in cutscenes which will be in the retail game also - where has this "already been discussed"?

For a stronger fr you'd best go with ps3 version, but if the wavering (frankly odd) cutscene framerate on the ps3 version offends you, go with the 360 version.

Where the fuck did I say the words 'fact' or 'in gameplay'? I didn't. You fail. And I already decided on the PS3 version after Bebpo's response. I'm not going to rely on your biased bullshit opinion to decide how to spend my money.

deepbrown

pswii60 said:
Where the fuck did I say the words 'fact' or 'in gameplay'? I didn't. You fail. And I already decided on the PS3 version after Bebpo's response. I'm not going to rely on your biased bullshit opinion to decide how to spend my money.
Well you stated "is THE fr stuttering in the ps3 version gone", going on to say -"this has already been discussed", to then disagreeing with when i said there is only a difference in fr in cutscenes. Hence "fact" and "gameplay".

Back up your shit before you start talking bull, because in my view both are just as good as each other with only controls being the difference. Oh and a stupid install load for the PS3 version. So what I am bias towards now PSWII60? with a name that is trying far too hard, just as it does on N4g.

pswii60

deepbrown said:
Well you stated "is THE fr stuttering in the ps3 version gone", going on to say -"this has already been discussed", to then disagreeing with when i said there is only a difference in fr in cutscenes. Hence "fact" and "gameplay".

And as I said, I was referring to the environment panning, not the actual cutscenes. And don't use quotation marks for words that weren't used. Anything else, please PM me and keep this thread free of our drivel.

deepbrown

pswii60 said:
And as I said, I was referring to the environment panning, not the actual cutscenes. And don't use quotation marks for words that weren't used.
They're called funny bunny rabbit ears, not quotation marks :)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
pswii60 said:

yuo guys should fight then make love. :D

Oh and bebpo, the demo was on DH difficultly?? Whoa, I thought the demo was on super easy mode.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Why is it a forced install for PS3 again? We don't have the option to not install? It's not like PS3 games load something fierce.

Because that's how Capcom wants to do it. They stated in the 1up interview that if all 360 versions had a HDD, they would have done the same there too.

hteng

Banned
i'm playing the PS3 ver and i can confirm that the frame drop does happen in the forest area, one zone to be exact(where you fight forest lizards for the first time), i have not encounter any problems in other areas, cutscenes were surprisingly smooth too.

Defuser

_leech_ said:
Nero vs Dante (non-cutscene).
The entire beginning of the game.
Everybody knows that will be a nero vs dante fight....

The beginning? I think everybody knows that already since Capcom has been showing mission 1 and mission 2 for like 2 years now...

Bebpo

Banned
Ok so yeah, the perfect difficulty selectable from the start for DMC fans would have been Son of Sparda.

But not this Son of Sparda, as in why people shouldn't download a clear save:

--SoS throws in enemy types from Dante's game into Nero's game. So you lose the "fresh" feel when you backtrack through the game again since there aren't new enemies every stage.

--You pretty much need DT in SoS to save your ass at times. So having that + most of the moves (since you've finished DH and saved up) is pretty important.

--Some of the stage layouts/designs are really made to be learned in DH. Basically even if it's too easy for you, you should play DH first because you can learn all the levels and all the puzzles and all that. So then on SoS when you're going in for the real game you can just speed run all the boring parts and constantly be fighting great fights like a DMC game should be. Plus your first run builds up your movelist/lifebar. So all in all the first run through DH is worth it because it's basically a build-up/preperation for the real deal on SoS.

hteng said:
i'm playing the PS3 ver and i can confirm that the frame drop does happen in the forest area, one zone to be exact(where you fight forest lizards for the first time), i have not encounter any problems in other areas, cutscenes were surprisingly smooth too.

Yeah it was only that 1 area where I was getting drops as well.

_leech_ said:
Nero vs Dante (non-cutscene).
The entire beginning of the game.
Omg, they spoiled the first <10 minutes of the game!
Anyways, still been playing on human non auto since I haven't played a DMC game since the first. This is way too easy for even me so everyone...avoid human at all costs =[

Hm, I hope BestBuy gets it tomorrow too then...got a gift card I wanna burn on this one.

...Any word if the PS3 final version upscales to 1080p? I was rather disappointed that the demo did not.

Top Bottom