• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Chamber said:
Sounds good. :D
They should give you a call also if your preordered it. If not

Target will be giving Free Strategy Guides out with purchase
Circuit will get 10dollar gift cards with Purchase

So even if they all don't...Don't better deals the day after:lol

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Pai Pai Master said:
Hm, I hope BestBuy gets it tomorrow too then...got a gift card I wanna burn on this one.

...Any word if the PS3 final version upscales to 1080p? I was rather disappointed that the demo did not.

720p only.

ezekial45

Banned
Drewsy said:
ps: Why don't you two get a room.

confused2.gif
confused2.gif

Whats that supposed to mean?

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
Ok so yeah, the perfect difficulty selectable from the start for DMC fans would have been Son of Sparda.

But not this Son of Sparda, as in why people shouldn't download a clear save:

--SoS throws in enemy types from Dante's game into Nero's game. So you lose the "fresh" feel when you backtrack through the game again since there aren't new enemies every stage.

--You pretty much need DT in SoS to save your ass at times. So having that + most of the moves (since you've finished DH and saved up) is pretty important.

--Some of the stage layouts/designs are really made to be learned in DH. Basically even if it's too easy for you, you should play DH first because you can learn all the levels and all the puzzles and all that. So then on SoS when you're going in for the real game you can just speed run all the boring parts and constantly be fighting great fights like a DMC game should be. Plus your first run builds up your movelist/lifebar. So all in all the first run through DH is worth it because it's basically a build-up/preperation for the real deal on SoS.

Yeah it was only that 1 area where I was getting drops as well.

yea agree, the SoS mode gets fucking annoying after mission 5 or 6. So I was playin dante at the forest level yesterday and the fucking thunder lizards came out again, it fucking owned me twice in a row and all with the same fucking move, the fucking laser cutter/saber/wtf (yes, he did it 3 times in a row and they all hit me. it can hit you from yards away), then another time the asshole rams me and friggin suicide bomb my ass to the continue screen, omg i really hate that bastard.

Defuser

hteng said:
yea agree, the SoS mode gets fucking annoying after mission 5 or 6. So I was playin dante at the forest level yesterday and the fucking thunder lizards came out again, it fucking owned me twice in a row and all with the same fucking move, the fucking laser cutter/saber/wtf (yes, he did it 3 times in a row and they all hit me. it can hit you from yards away), then another time the asshole rams me and friggin suicide bomb my ass to the continue screen, omg i really hate that bastard.
Yeah, and none of the guns can hurt it when it's electrified.

Bebpo

Banned
Defuser said:
Yeah, and none of the guns can hurt it when it's electrified.

Errr...shooting it with guns is how you get it un-electrified...right? I figured out a trick with Nero though. Should work with Dante as well.

With Nero when I finally got the electricity off him I DT'd and rushed up and threw his ass which hits a ton of times and throws him up. Then I threw him again on the way down. Then I threw him again before he had time to power up. So after 3 DT'd throws he had like no life left and turned red and blew himself up.

With Dante I'm guessing DT + Gilgamesh non-stop should do about the same.

the_id

Guys, tomorrow is Super Tuesday! FUCK DMC4...GO VOTE!!!!
Oh who am I kidding, fuck American democracy, GO BUY DMC4 and play it!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Demo looked amazing on my 1080p set as well, but it was running at 1280x720, People with the japanese game of the ps3 version have confirmed that its 720P only, no upscaling to 1080i nor p, not that it bothers me.

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
Errr...shooting it with guns is how you get it un-electrified...right? I figured out a trick with Nero though. Should work with Dante as well.

With Nero when I finally got the electricity off him I DT'd and rushed up and threw his ass which hits a ton of times and throws him up. Then I threw him again on the way down. Then I threw him again before he had time to power up. So after 3 DT'd throws he had like no life left and turned red and blew himself up.

With Dante I'm guessing DT + Gilgamesh non-stop should do about the same.

yea getting him to unelectrified is the annoying part, charge shot for nero is best way so far. For dante shotgun or pandora (if you are lucky)

Mrbob

the_id said:
Guys, tomorrow is Super Tuesday! FUCK DMC4...GO VOTE!!!!
Oh who am I kidding, fuck American democracy, GO BUY DMC4 and play it!

Not everyone votes tommorrow. :p

My state vote isn't till Feb 19.

Valkyr Junkie said:
Your 1080p TV, like all 1080p TVs, supports 720p

As long as you have 720p checked off.

It allows annoys me when PS3 users force 1080 resolutions by not checking off anything other than 1080.

...since it's not the best course of option.

KGKK

Banned
So I take it Toronto has it now. Great, I will go pick it up during my 3hour break during school. Gonna be a long day tomorrow, have school from 8:30am-6:30pm. At least I have Wednesdays off so I can play it all day.:D

Bebpo

Banned
Got to the last area for Nero in SoS mode. Bosses have been tough and EXCELLENT. I'm seeing patterns I never new existed before since the bosses would get stunned so fast on DH. The forest boss is especially good and challenging and fun on SoS.

If Reno is still reading the thread, please communicate the request for a boss rush mode to be added via DLC. I can't imagine it would be that hard to string the bosses back to back with internet rankings and I'd pay a good $5 for it. The boss fights on the higher difficulty levels are amazingly fun, but I'm not going to replay entire levels or do that long annoying dice thing just to fight them.

There's two thing I'll mention about SoS mode:

1. Continues. As others have said, the continue system is a halfway between DMC3SE and DMC3 US. If you die on a boss you start right before it. But if you die in the level you might start a decent chunk back. Coming from someone who only played DMC3 JPN & US DMC3 SE, on SoS or higher difficulties this can get annoying if you have to go through several rooms of really tough fights as well as do platforming/puzzles between them. It's not a huge deal and it hasn't been an issue for me yet, but the potential for later levels or higher difficulties being a headache is definitely there. Some of these enemies dish out DAMAGE and you can die very fast on SoS against certain groups.

2. Enemy Weakening. This is stupid and I don't like it. I realize the reason it's there, but it should give an option "do you want to weaken enemies?" and not force it. If you're fighting a boss and each time you get closer and closer to the point where in a try or two more you'll have the patterns down and will ace it for sure, it sucks that by that point the boss is forcibly weakened a little and that normal satisfaction you get when you finally beat the boss with your skills is weakened a little by seeing "enemy handicap" in your final score for the level. It basically forces you to redo the entire mission after 2 tries (or maybe 3 tries) if you want to beat the boss on full strength. I can understand this being on DH/Human, but c'mon anyone who is playing on SoS or higher wants the challenge and not an auto-tone-down.

Also for hteng/defuser:
In the jungle section the room inside the building with 3 of those flying planet lizards who keep popping out their blades and then more spawn as you kill the starting 3 was insane. I had to run after they kept spawning. Those guys are a BITCH to fight since they keep popping out their stupid blades and you gotta fight long-range, which Nero sucks at. The fact that they FLY AROUND aiming at you is even worse. I think they're probably the most difficult normal enemies in the game on SoS.

Though I found Frosts to be pretty deadly as well when there are lots of real enemies. That room in Fortuna with 2 shadow guys + 2 frosts was a challenge as while dodging the shadow guys stabby thing I had to keep moving and avoiding frost attacks since the frost attacks did BIG damage.

Bebpo said:
Got to the last area for Nero in SoS mode. Bosses have been tough and EXCELLENT. I'm seeing patterns I never new existed before since the bosses would get stunned so fast on DH. The forest boss is especially good and challenging and fun on SoS.

If Reno is still reading the thread, please communicate the request for a boss rush mode to be added via DLC. I can't imagine it would be that hard to string the bosses back to back with internet rankings and I'd pay a good $5 for it. The boss fights on the higher difficulty levels are amazingly fun, but I'm not going to replay entire levels or do that long annoying dice thing just to fight them.

There's two thing I'll mention about SoS mode:

1. Continues. As others have said, the continue system is a halfway between DMC3SE and DMC3 US. If you die on a boss you start right before it. But if you die in the level you might start a decent chunk back. Coming from someone who only played DMC3 JPN & US DMC3 SE, on SoS or higher difficulties this can get annoying if you have to go through several rooms of really tough fights as well as do platforming/puzzles between them. It's not a huge deal and it hasn't been an issue for me yet, but the potential for later levels or higher difficulties being a headache is definitely there. Some of these enemies dish out DAMAGE and you can die very fast on SoS against certain groups.

2. Enemy Weakening. This is stupid and I don't like it. I realize the reason it's there, but it should give an option "do you want to weaken enemies?" and not force it. If you're fighting a boss and each time you get closer and closer to the point where in a try or two more you'll have the patterns down and will ace it for sure, it sucks that by that point the boss is forcibly weakened a little and that normal satisfaction you get when you finally beat the boss with your skills is weakened a little by seeing "enemy handicap" in your final score for the level. It basically forces you to redo the entire mission after 2 tries (or maybe 3 tries) if you want to beat the boss on full strength. I can understand this being on DH/Human, but c'mon anyone who is playing on SoS or higher wants the challenge and not an auto-tone-down.

Also for hteng/defuser:
In the jungle section the room inside the building with 3 of those flying planet lizards who keep popping out their blades and then more spawn as you kill the starting 3 was insane. I had to run after they kept spawning. Those guys are a BITCH to fight since they keep popping out their stupid blades and you gotta fight long-range, which Nero sucks at. The fact that they FLY AROUND aiming at you is even worse. I think they're probably the most difficult normal enemies in the game on SoS.

Though I found Frosts to be pretty deadly as well when there are lots of real enemies. That room in Fortuna with 2 shadow guys + 2 frosts was a challenge as while dodging the shadow guys stabby thing I had to keep moving and avoiding frost attacks since the frost attacks did BIG damage.

What does Reno have to do with anything?

And yes, I would pay (DLC) for a boss rush mode.

I'd also pay for some DMC3 weapons to get their ass back in here, like Cerberus and Agni and Rudra from DMC3.

(I still don't know why Capcom just didn't re-use these weapons and simply re-use the animations) If it's an extra weapon, nobody is going to judge too harshly.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay I just woke up... it's happpening today, oh my lawrd.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
so am i gonna get this tomorrow

cos if i don't i'll probably have to go vote or something, and if there's one thing i hate it's fulfilling my civic duties

edit: today technically zomg

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
Also for hteng/defuser:

yea those forest lizards are nothing much when their alone but when combined with the chimera they fucking jumps around like crazy.
If you remember, one of the dante's secret mission "Unbreakable" in which you have to avoid getting damage through the fight was a friggin headache.

Thrakier

Who is this nero guy? Is there a good site for the story without spoilers?

EDIT:

Is there something like a timeline for the story?

Defuser

Thrakier said:
Who is this nero guy? Is there a good site for the story without spoilers?

EDIT:

Is there something like a timeline for the story?
Wikipedia is your friend or at least read the first post.

Psychotext said:

This guy doesn't give up.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=181491

"Wah! Have you ever played a PC game? At least we aren't making you shuffle multiple discs into a ROM drive, or continuously click 'Yes!' on a series of endless Windows dialog boxes," the Capcom man continues, possibly shuffling the install-less yet basically identical 360 version out of view.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
brandonh83 said:
I've spent years flushing DMC2 out of my mind, so please... what silent dude? I do not remember.
DMC2 was a huge disappointment, but dante's character model from DMC2 is still the best dante model.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
C- Warrior said:
I'd also pay for some DMC3 weapons to get their ass back in here, like Cerberus and Agni and Rudra from DMC3.

(I still don't know why Capcom just didn't re-use these weapons and simply re-use the animations) If it's an extra weapon, nobody is going to judge too harshly.
I'm not a big fan of A&R, but I lovec cerberus. That and rebellion were the two weapons I used most of the time.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
bluheim said:
Both have strengths and weaknesses. Buy the one with the controller you like the most.

Which strengths and which weaknesses? I don't have a controller preference, since this game doesn't use the d-pad.

Minsc

Gold Member
M°°nblade said:

You forgot the best part:

"Once installed," he claims, "the PS3 version of the game has near-Super Nintendo speed load times. You'll be amazed how fast levels load, the virtually instantaneous transition from cut scenes to action and that you're continuously playing the game."

Saying that the PS3 is nearly as good as the SNES at something is a pretty poor analogy at best. But I guess that's progress for you. Still, wtf at comparing the PS3 to the SNES.

Kyoufu

Minsc said:
You forgot the best part:

Saying that the PS3 is nearly as good as the SNES at something is a pretty poor analogy at best. But I guess that's progress for you. Still, wtf at comparing the PS3 to the SNES.

He is comparing disc to cartridge load times.

Top Bottom