• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Kyoufu

maskrider said:
Just like Blimblim and Dot50Cal, a HD Capture card.

How much is it and which one? Does it capture video well? I really need to get a good one for some DMC4 videos.

Il Comodino said:
I have not understand if the Ps3 version forced to install or not?

some one say yes, someother say no

It is forced.

maskrider

Kyoufu said:
How much is it and which one? Does it capture video well? I really need to get a good one for some DMC4 videos.

Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro (posted in last December pick-up thread, haha), US$349.

Prepare to upgrade your storage subsystem as well if you want to use it at the highest quality, I use a 3 x fast SATA (WD RE 2500YS) RAID-0 drive to capture video uncompressed.

You can also capture the video in MJPEG with adjustable quality in Graphedit.

Minsc said:
You forgot the best part:

Saying that the PS3 is nearly as good as the SNES at something is a pretty poor analogy at best. But I guess that's progress for you. Still, wtf at comparing the PS3 to the SNES.
You must not know much then.

IGN says that PS3 load times are 3 times faster, so this cavg article sounds like BS. I still have to wait for PAL release to check it myself.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
rockman zx said:
Playing the game on the 360 right now, holy shit the first secret mission is harder than Berial :lol .

wat. That was absolute cake. Wait for the second secret mission though; now that's difficult.

Lince

Banned
the game is already on sale in Spain, I just got email confirmation that my PS3 CE copy was shipped today and should arrive later tonight or early tomorrow, can't wait :D

Kyoufu

maskrider said:
Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro (posted in last December pick-up thread, haha), US$349.

Prepare to upgrade your storage subsystem as well if you want to use it at the highest quality, I use a 3 x fast SATA (WD RE 2500YS) RAID-0 drive to capture video uncompressed.

You can also capture the video in MJPEG with adjustable quality in Graphedit.

Eek, thats expensive. You must be happy with it.

Just saw that ZANGIEF IS IN DMC4!. I love how DMC pays homage to other Capcom games.

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev6BAGzkQLs

you see Nero's DT pulling off Zangief's super suplexes + piledriver and million fists from Godhand (I think).

Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=92063&page=1

When we finished DMC3, we wondered what Capcom would do with new hardware. The answer is not an awful lot. The visuals are better, the combat's more accessible, the upgrade system's pleasingly flexible, but in practically every other sense Capcom has passed up the opportunity to do something new and exciting. After more than seven years, the Devil May Cry series finds itself in the same kind of safe, reliable trough that Resident Evil was in before Resi 4. DMC4 can still fall back on rock-solid combat mechanics and some standout moments, but it feels as though it's comfortable to slowly refine what was good about previous versions rather than evolve into something spectacular.

7/10

Synless

Fatghost said:
Which strengths and which weaknesses? I don't have a controller preference, since this game doesn't use the d-pad.
360 version has 2xAA but has screen tearing 60-fps ingame, and a locked 30 for cutscenes, and PS3 has Temporal AA but has no tearing, Runs at 60fps for both ingame (locked 60fps) and cutscenes but it's not a locked 60fps for the cutscenes so it drops from 60 to 30 during the cutscenes.

After my Super Tuesday activities are over I'll be picking up DMC4 and coming back to play it. I have tomorrow off from work too so after classes I should be able to play quite a bit of it.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Synless said:
360 version has 2xAA but has screen tearing 60-fps ingame, and a locked 30 for cutscenes, and PS3 has Temporal AA but has no tearing, Runs at 60fps for both ingame (locked 60fps) and cutscenes but it's not a locked 60fps for the cutscenes so it drops from 60 to 30 during the cutscenes.

Screen tearing on 360. :(

PS3 version it is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fatghost said:
Screen tearing on 360. :(

PS3 version it is.
There's no reason to buy the 360 version over the PS3 version, really.

The PS3 controller is better suited for this game, the framerate is a touch smoother on PS3, and the loadtimes are just a tad shorter. The differences are fairly minor (the engine was, afterall, originally designed for 360), but everything weighs in favor of the PS3 game.

I think controls are probably the biggest issue, though. It felt really bad on the 360 pad.

Darji

Banned
dmc4ps3-dh-clear.jpg
:lol :lol

So how adequate is the 20 minute re-cap you get when installing the game on PS3?

I wanted to play though DMC1 and 3 before I got 4 since I've never finished them, but time wasn't on my side and I hardly made a dent in #1. I'm hoping the recap will fill me in on what I need to know so I can enjoy the story in DMC4 when I start playing it tomorrow. Is it good enough, or should I wikipedia the series?

dark10x

Kestastrophe said:
Wait, what? Link please
I believe the code base stems from the work done on Dead Rising and Lost Planet (as in, they are using the so called "framework" tools/engine). There are certainly plenty of signs that the technology is the same (as DMC4 shares quite a bit of visual similiarities with Lost Planet in terms of how certain effects and such are executed). I'm sure the technology has been sculpted very specifically for this game just as DR and LP were rather different from each other.

I suppose the real answer is that the engine was designed on PCs initially, but in the end, the first retail games to use their work were 360 titles.

That said, I'm impressed with how well DMC4 turned out on PS3. Lost Planet seems to have taken a hit on PS3 (no motion blur, slightly lower resolution textures, etc). DMC4, however, sports MORE environment detail than LP with higher resolution textures across the board while running at double the framerate. Furthermore, the motion blur used during cutscenes in DMC4 is an improvement over what was present in Lost Planet and run at a higher framerate on PS3. It seems like the engine runs very well on PS3, but those porting Lost Planet were unable to duplicate what the DMC4 team did.

This bodes well for RE5, though, as I'm sure that is a high priority project and will look and run well on both machines.

Zzoram

Hey maskrider, the screenshot shows that you have all 20 levels unlocked for both Human and Devil Hunter. Did you beat both, or does beating DH count as beating Human too?

dili

Kyoufu said:
Eek, thats expensive. You must be happy with it.

Just saw that ZANGIEF IS IN DMC4!. I love how DMC pays homage to other Capcom games.

In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev6BAGzkQLs

you see Nero's DT pulling off Zangief's super suplexes + piledriver and million fists from Godhand (I think).
it really just isn't DMC though,most Capcom games in general almost always pay homage to each other. Most recent games being Dead Rising including a Mega Man outfit and servbot helmets,Godhand had bonus stages where it had you destroying a car similar to Street Fighter and a dragon upercut move for gene, Okami had that old man that does the Viewtiful Pose before he teaches amaterasu new manuvers etc. They're pretty much in every capcom game and that is one of the many reasons why Capcom is awesome.

BojTrek

Banned
dark10x said:
There's no reason to buy the 360 version over the PS3 version, really.

I have not purchased a PS3 game yet... and the 360 version has Achievements that I love...

I see that the PS3 has the same list of achievements... but I want to build my terrible 8000 gamer points on X-Box 360...

I like the X-Box 360 controller over the awkward feeling triggers on PS3...

dark10x

BojTrek said:
I have not purchased a PS3 game yet... and the 360 version has Achievements that I love...

I see that the PS3 has the same list of achievements... but I want to build my terrible 8000 gamer points on X-Box 360...

I like the X-Box 360 controller over the awkward feeling triggers on PS3...
Have you played the DMC4 demo on 360, though? Hopefully they allow you to configure the buttons or something as you were forced to use the RB (not trigger) as the lock-on button. You need to hold that thing constantly during play and it felt terrible doing so. Even if you can re-configure, using an analog trigger for the same function isn't really a great solution. The game was made to use the R1 button PlayStation controllers and it feels great.

BojTrek

Banned
Yes, I have the demo and really didn't use the lock on feature...

I just run around like an idiot in these games... the hand grip did not require the lock on... so I has happy grabbing whoever was close... beating his ass and killing the next guy.

The game looked beautiful on the X-Box 360 and on my 40" Sony BRAVIA XBR LCD.

I really like Achievements... I have a close competition with a guy at work... so the controller will not be an issue for me.

By the way... I am waiting for Hot Shots Golf on PS3 as my first game purchase... or Uncharted... the demo is cool... and Rachet is great looking on my TV... WOW!

Kyoufu

BojTrek said:

I just run around like an idiot in these games... the hand grip did not require the lock on... so I has happy grabbing whoever was close... beating his ass and killing the next guy.

I really like Achievements... I have a close competition with a guy at work... so the controller will not be an issue for me.

By the way... I am waiting for Hot Shots Golf on PS3 as my first game purchase... or Uncharted... the demo is cool... and Rachet is great looking on my TV... WOW!

Wow. You're terrible at DMC. Good luck building your gamerscore.

dark10x

Then you might struggle with the full game as it plays a big role, but hey.

I see that achievements are very important to you while skilled play is not, so I can understand. That's the one advantage the 360 version has. Anyone obsessed with achievements will likely prefer it.

BojTrek said:

you wont build your gamerscore in this game playing like that

Kyoufu

Yasser said:
oh shiieeeeeeeeeeeet idk whether or not to cancel my preorder for the CE version now. would anyone say it's worth £40 in light of this deal??

Honestly? No chance. 20 pounds saved > Crappy tin box and crappy extras.

Doc Evils

Yasser said:
oh shiieeeeeeeeeeeet idk whether or not to cancel my preorder for the CE version now. would anyone say it's worth £40 in light of this deal??

It seems they have quickly changed it.:lol

They must of had a flood of orders.

Defuser

BojTrek said:
Shut up you punk... I once got a 8 HIT COMBO on the demo... :)
Number of hits means nothing at all. Lock on is required for survival,rankings,styles and achievements. You will never get far without it.

From what I see,you're just button mashing with some fluke combo string.

BojTrek

Banned
I know, I know... I am making fun of myself with these posts...

I want Achievements... but I stink at the game and lack the skill needed to get the Achievements!

Defuser

Jirotrom said:
he was being sarcastic man.
lolz,I must be tired, it's night time here.

BojTrek said:
I know, I know... I am making fun of myself with these posts...

I want Achievements... but I stink at the game and lack the skill needed to get the Achievements!

Don't worry,just watch some videos on how players does it,play the game more and everything will click,soon you be stringing combos and racking points like there no tomorrow.

Like this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTXDGLQmav0

Top Bottom