• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Draft

The right bumper is not nearly the issue some of the faithful have made it out to be. What IS an issue is that the "L2/Left Trigger" button for both characters should be "tapped" and it is hard to tap something that's meant to be squeezed.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
seems like we have to get back into the whole comparison thing for people who didn't follow it the first time: the 360 version has 2xMSAA while the ps3 version instead blends each frame with jittered versions of previous frames. this produces something similar to 2xMSAA when nothing is moving, but in motion it produces an undesirable persistence effect and can't effectively smoothe edges. there are several other small differences between the two versions, but this is the most significant one.

dark10x said:
There's no reason to buy the 360 version over the PS3 version, really.

Opinion

The PS3 controller is better suited for this game,

Opinion

the framerate is a touch smoother on PS3,

I have both versions and I haven't noticed any framerate issues with the 360 version and I'm already more than half way with the game. I've noticed some dips on the PS3 version especially during cutscenes and when fighting Berial.

and the loadtimes are just a tad shorter.

The installing doesn't even make it that much of a difference from the 360 version. Its not even noticeable.

The differences are fairly minor (the engine was, afterall, originally designed for 360), but everything weighs in favor of the PS3 game.
I don't believe it weighs in favor for any of them.

The graphics are a bit better on the 360 version even after I've tweaked my 46" Sony Bravia to make the PS3 version as bright as the 360 version.

I think controls are probably the biggest issue, though. It felt really bad on the 360 pad.

Well I thought the controls on the PS3 version is as it always has been for me when I played DMC on the PS2. Horrible, it always has given me cramps when I use the god awful PS brand controllers. I had no problem with the 360 controllers.

EDIT: Also for your information the game has fully customizable controller configuration. So the controller issue that people are crying about is a non issue.

Synless

Rottweiler said:
Opinion

Opinion

I have both versions and I haven't noticed any framerate issues with the 360 version and I'm already more than half way with the game. I've noticed some dips on the PS3 version especially during cutscenes and when fighting Berial.

The installing doesn't even make it that much of a difference from the 360 version. Its not even noticeable.

I don't believe it weighs in favor for any of them.

The graphics are a bit better on the 360 version even after I've tweaked my 46" Sony Bravia to make the PS3 version as bright as the 360 version.

Well I thought the controls on the PS3 version is as it always has been for me when I played DMC on the PS2. Horrible, it always has given me cramps when I use the god awful PS brand controllers. I had no problem with the 360 controllers.

I wouldn't argue with DarkX about framerate things or if it was a problem texture work, His opinions are dead on. I always look for DX's input on multiplatform games. His CoD4 shit was dead fucking on. I know the answer to the cutscenes showing fps drops is because the 360 version is locked at 30fps while the ps3 version runs at 60fps and drops to 30fps occasionally.

Jirotrom

Synless said:
I wouldn't argue with DarkX about framerate things or if it was a problem texture work, His opinions are dead on. I always look for DX's input on multiplatform games. His CoD4 shit was dead fucking on.
Dark X has both games...? Impressions please:D

BojTrek

Banned
Where are the math experts?

I wonder if all the X-Box 360 loads times would be equal or lower than the total time it takes to install the PS3 version.

So, if you start the exact same time...

Play the entire X-Box 360 game from beginning to end and load the PS3 version to the hard drive and play end to end... which game takes longer to complete?

Hmmm?

Synless said:
I wouldn't argue with DarkX about framerate things or if it was a problem texture work, His opinions are dead on. I always look for DX's input on multiplatform games. His CoD4 shit was dead fucking on. I know the answer to the cutscenes showing fps drops is because the 360 version is locked at 30fps while the ps3 version runs at 60fps and drops to 30fps occasionally.

I don't give a shit. Who the fuck is he? I'm playing the game and I'm telling you what I see with my own two eyes. How si someone going to tell me what my eyes see is wrong? When playing against Berial, I see a bit of a slow down on the PS3 version where on the 360 it's nonexistence. I don't care what some dude on a forum says. I do 3D modeling and character animation on contract for different companies so his OPINION as you put it doesn't mean squat to me.

Kyoufu

Rottweiler said:
I don't give a shit. Who the fuck is he? I'm playing the game and I'm telling you what I see with my own two eyes. How si someone going to tell me what my eyes see is wrong? When playing against Berial, I see a bit of a slow down on the PS3 version where on the 360 it's nonexistence. I don't care what some dude on a forum says. I do 3D modeling and character animation on contract for different companies so his OPINION as you put it doesn't mean squat to me.

I don't see any framerate drops against Berial. Can I say bullshit?

Jirotrom

BojTrek said:

I wonder if all the X-Box 360 loads times would be equal or lower than the total time it takes to install the PS3 version.

Play the entire X-Box 360 game from beginning to end and load the PS3 version to the hard drive and play end to end... which game takes longer to complete?

Hmmm?
:lol :lol :lol

Synless

Rottweiler said:
:lol why areant you special. I'll take his opinion over yours unless your can somehow prove your point.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
dark10x said:
I believe the code base stems from the work done on Dead Rising and Lost Planet (as in, they are using the so called "framework" tools/engine). There are certainly plenty of signs that the technology is the same (as DMC4 shares quite a bit of visual similiarities with Lost Planet in terms of how certain effects and such are executed). I'm sure the technology has been sculpted very specifically for this game just as DR and LP were rather different from each other.

I suppose the real answer is that the engine was designed on PCs initially, but in the end, the first retail games to use their work were 360 titles.

That said, I'm impressed with how well DMC4 turned out on PS3. Lost Planet seems to have taken a hit on PS3 (no motion blur, slightly lower resolution textures, etc). DMC4, however, sports MORE environment detail than LP with higher resolution textures across the board while running at double the framerate. Furthermore, the motion blur used during cutscenes in DMC4 is an improvement over what was present in Lost Planet and run at a higher framerate on PS3. It seems like the engine runs very well on PS3, but those porting Lost Planet were unable to duplicate what the DMC4 team did.

This bodes well for RE5, though, as I'm sure that is a high priority project and will look and run well on both machines.

You generalize far too much.

Kyoufu said:
I don't see any framerate drops against Berial. Can I say bullshit?

You can say what you want to say but I do notice it when playing the PS3 version. The PS3 version just seems to slow down on Berial especially when he reignite himself.

Mrbob

drohne said:
seems like we have to get back into the whole comparison thing for people who didn't follow it the first time: the 360 version has 2xMSAA while the ps3 version instead blends each frame with jittered versions of previous frames. this produces something similar to 2xMSAA when nothing is moving, but in motion it produces an undesirable persistence effect and can't effectively smoothe edges. there are several other small differences between the two versions, but this is the most significant one.

Is this why the PS3 version looks kind of blurry to me. It almost seems like a small layer of vaseline was put over the screen in large open sweeping areas when the camera pans.

Synless

Mrbob said:
Is this why the PS3 version looks kind of blurry to me. It almost seems like a small layer of vaseline was put over the screen in large open sweeping areas when the camera pans.
Yea, it's called temporal AA I had never heard of it until this game. Even though it's been used in many games apparently.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Does this game have a beastiary like DMC1? It was really cool being able to pause and check out the various enemies(and bosses) and read up on all of the movesets they use and tips on how to avoid and counter them; especially when you hit the higher difficulties and more movesets get added that were locked out in the normal starter difficulty.

Jirotrom

can we stop going on about the better version... just by the game on the system you prefer to play it on... Its not like the differences are huge.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Synless said:
:lol why areant you special. I'll take his opinion over yours unless your can somehow prove your point.

He was for a fact, dead wrong about COD4 and IIRC, wrong about 2-3 things on The Darkness.

BojTrek said:

Hmmm?
Already been done:

Assuming you see a load screen every 5 mins (should be longer) and the PS3 version loads everything 2 seconds faster (comparison said it was 1 second on average)... You'd save 24 seconds for every hour played, 4 mins for every 10 hours played, 20 mins for every 50 hours played. So as long as you play for over 50 hours you'll see the benefit of the install time! =)

There's really not a lot to call between it on the load times though. I don't think I'd even notice the extra second or two.

Synless

belvedere said:
He was for a fact, dead wrong about COD4 and IIRC, wrong about 2-3 things on The Darkness.
Fuck if he was wrong about CoD4, Your blind, the textures on CoD4 are worse on the ps3, theres a million fucking pictures to prove it. It also runs smoother too. And on darkness he was right about the framerate being smoother on that too. I had have to ps3 version of both of those games, I own a 360 too I have compared and he is right. 100%

Synless said:

:lol as if I give a shit as to who you want to believe. :lol :lol

Synless said:
Fuck if he was wrong about CoD4, Your blind, the textures on CoD4 are worse on the ps3, theres a million fucking pictures to prove it. It also runs smoother too. And on darkness he was right about the framerate being smoother on that too. I had have to ps3 version of both of those games, I own a 360 too I have compared and he is right. 100%

Going by this post it seems to me you like doing special favors for dark. Is he your dad?

Oh, and I hope those that saw the gamestation PS3 version price got their orders in quick, because as others have said... it's now gone from £24.99 to £39.99.

Zophar

Synless said:
Careful, judging from his post history you're about one reply away from being accused of "licking Sony's nuts". He's the worst kind of fanboy.

Synless

Zophar said:
Careful, judging from his post history you're about one reply away from being accused of "licking Sony's nuts". He's the worst kind of fanboy.
He usually sides with the 360 version....? so hows that work? Look, all i'm saying is I'll take his opinion over alot of other people's, I'm sure he's wrong from time to time but I don't give a fuck, he's been right when anytime I've seen his posts.

Thrakier

The 360 version is sharper (and therefore the ps3 version looks blurry in comparison) becuase the 360 outputs to much darkness (and stronger contrasts btw). this means, just turn up the sharpness on your tv and ps3 dmc4 will look similar. of course this will not improve the IQ.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Synless said:

You're out of your mind. B3d proved every one one those "screenshots" to be rigged in some form. Not to mention, an IW dev himself said the same thing, right here on gaf, and another IW employee (his level involvement with development is unknown) reaffirmed his statements at the B3d forums.

He was right about the framerate (which was a bit over exaggerated) and motion blur on The Darkness, but dead wrong about AF and HDR.

Synless

Rottweiler said:
:lol as if I give a shit as to who you want to believe. :lol :lol

Going by this post it seems to me you like doing special favors for dark. Is he your dad?
I'm pointing out facts, I didn't know the one time I've ever said anything about someone that he must a relative. I'm not the one throwing out job titles like I'm trying to be special. so fucking what if your a 3d modeler.

Synless

belvedere said:
You're out of your mind. B3d proved every one one those "screenshots" to be rigged in some form. Not to mention, an IW dev himself said the same thing, right here on gaf, and another IW employee (his level involvement with development is unknown) reaffirmed his statements at the B3d forums.

He was right about the framerate (which was a bit over exaggerated) and motion blur on The Darkness, but dead wrong about AF and HDR.
I've fucking played both versions of the game the textures are stretched a bit more then they are on the 360 version, it makes them look less detailed. There is a difference.

Synless

Look, I'm not going to argue about this shit anymore. This thread is about DMC4 and nothing else. My bad for thwarting the thread into which game is better then the other.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
After playing the demo on X360(component) and PS3(HDMI), I can't deny that the X360 version seems richer and pops more visually. I have a Panasonic 1080P plasma and I am surprised that the X360 version running through component looks better to me. Now, I prefer the controls on the PS3 (especially with the DS3) but I can't help but wonder that this is a preview of how all multiplatform games will end up visually. I think Burnout on PS3 looks much better than X360, but it seems to me that is more of the exception at this point. I am interested if others have had the same experience.

By the way, the lack of 1080P or 1080i upscaling for the PS3 version is lame.

DenogginizerOS said:
After playing the demo on X360(component) and PS3(HDMI), I can't deny that the X360 version seems richer and pops more visually. I have a Panasonic 1080P plasma and I am surprised that the X360 version running through component looks better to me. Now, I prefer the controls on the PS3 (especially with the DS3) but I can't help but wonder that this is a preview of how all multiplatform games will end up visually. I think Burnout on PS3 looks much better than X360, but it seems to me that is more of the exception at this point. I am interested if others have had the same experience.

By the way, the lack of 1080P or 1080i upscaling for the PS3 version is lame.

so which one are you buying?

Amon37

Damn the ship dates, just tell me the game comes out on wednesday that way I don't sit in agony for all of the rest of today and tomorrow waiting for the phone call.

Amon37 said:
Damn the ship dates, just tell me the game comes out on wednesday that way I don't sit in agony for all of the rest of today and tomorrow waiting for the phone call.

Yeah, this is bullshit. Capcom had a counter on thier DMC website.. it says "available now". I'm going to EB anyway to check.

DenogginizerOS

Phoenix Down said:
so which one are you buying?
For a game like DMC, controls are more important than visuals. I have the PS3 version paid off.

What is odd is that I do better playing the demo on X360. I like how the DS3 feels, but I was able to do more combos with the X360. Damn, now I am second guessing myself. Thanks, MrBob. :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
jett said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev6BAGzkQLs

That was pretty awesome. Nero has fucking awesome moves. Did I just see him throw someone over his shoulder and then face-kick him before he hit the ground? :lol

edit: Holy crap he can do one of Hugo's(SF3) supers too!

I wished this game came out on a holiday weekend like MLK day so i can spend a ton of time playing it. That video looks very good. One more day left.

DenogginizerOS said:
For a game like DMC, controls are more important than visuals. I have the PS3 version paid off.

What is odd is that I do better playing the demo on X360. I like how the DS3 feels, but I was able to do more combos with the X360. Damn, now I am second guessing myself. Thanks, MrBob. :lol

i feel you.. i played both versions.. i prefer the ps3 controls. i cant Irev very well with the 360 controller

DenogginizerOS

Phoenix Down said:
i feel you.. i played both versions.. i prefer the ps3 controls. i cant Irev very well with the 360 controller
However, the responses to button presses on X360 are faster for me. I was able to do dodge and react quicker on X360. Anyone else notice this?

Jirotrom

DenogginizerOS said:
However, the responses to button presses on X360 are faster for me. I was able to do dodge and react quicker on X360. Anyone else notice this?
I havent tried both demos but the face buttons on the 360 click in faster than a PS2 normal controller. There is less threshold resistance on ps2 buttons but more on the 360 buttons. The snap is quick on the 360 so it ends up being the same for me. The quickness of snap could be why it feels faster for you.

Kyoufu

DenogginizerOS said:
Did you play both versions? Did you experience the opposite? MrBob and I both agree that the response times with the X360 version are faster.

Yeah I've played both. Both are the same, no input lag on any of them, and naturally I do better on the PS3 controller because of preference. Don't like the right bumper or the face buttons at all.

Saying that, god bless customisable controls. 360 owners shouldn't have a problem if they tweak it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DenogginizerOS said:
Did you play both versions? Did you experience the opposite? MrBob and I both agree that the response times with the X360 version are faster.

I definitely was okay on the 360 controller, but it just isn't the better controller for the game. I personally don't mind the bumper, but the buttons are just not designed for that kind of rapid pressing.

IMO of course.

Top Bottom