• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Plissken

virtuafightermaster said:
Anyone got the collector's edition for xbox 360 yet? What kind of box did they use, the same one as Lost Planet? or the one like Gears of War collector edition. IS it worth the extra 20 bucks?

What kind packaging did you use for the PS3 version?

I picked up the collectors edition for 360 at lunch today. It's like the Lost Planet case, hard metal with the discs on one side and the instruction manual on the other. Comes with a separate DVD with the first 4 episodes of the Anime, some trailers and cutscenes from the game, and some promo materials.

There is a bonus DVD in the case, not sure what's on it yet (still at work), but the slipcase says is has an art gallery, soundtrack, making of video and exclusive PC content.

Also, I apparently lucked out and got one of the signed copies :D. I'll post a pic when I get home, or sooner if I can find someone here with a camera that I can borrow.

*edit*
And here's the photo, sorry for the quality
hobby006.jpg

Artie

Anyone have tips for playing as Dante? I'm so used to Nero, and this is pretty much my first DMC game (played a little of DMC3, but it was way too hard).

I just saw a TV advert for DMC 4 here in the UK on Five US and they seem to be only advertising the 360 version. No mention of the PS3 version at all.

newsguy

Gamefly didn't ship it today :( For some reason I'm dying to play boss battles. It's been a long time since I played a game with those traditional, old school boss battles, can't wait.

Plissken said:
I picked up the collectors edition for 360 at lunch today. It's like the Lost Planet case, hard metal with the discs on one side and the instruction manual on the other. Comes with a separate DVD with the first 4 episodes of the Anime, some trailers and cutscenes from the game, and some promo materials.

There is a bonus DVD in the case, not sure what's on it yet (still at work), but the slipcase says is has an art gallery, soundtrack, making of video and exclusive PC content.

Also, I apparently lucked out and got one of the signed copies :D. I'll post a pic when I get home, or sooner if I can find someone here with a camera that I can borrow.

Lucky bustard, how many signed copy are there?

KGKK

Banned
Just played it for a few hours and beat Mission. The
toad boss
in that level was a pain the first, second time I murdered him though:lol . Dante is still as badass as ever too. Got a shit load of accomplishments alread. Remember to add me to friends list people so you may see how much I own you suckas!!!:D PSN: KGKK

Edit: Scratch the idea about adding me. Seems like my friend's list is full. Damn and I thought I didn't have that many. Sony needs to patch it up so more people can be added.

MechaX

Just finished Mission 8.

Nero's cool points just skyrocketed when he did a Travis Touchdown suplex and a Ryu Hayabusa Izuna Drop in the same move.

Jirotrom

this really does suck that there is no rumble during the rev...anyone with the ps3 Dual shock 3.... does your controller rumble when it revs?

TheDuce22

Banned
Picked it up today for xbox. The leaderboards are pretty funny. You have to scroll down to number 57 to see an american flag. The game is awesome so far. Surpassed my expectations.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MechaX said:
Just finished Mission 8.

Nero's cool points just skyrocketed when he did a Travis Touchdown suplex and a Ryu Hayabusa Izuna Drop in the same move.

The Travis Touchdown Suplex?

Snaku

Banned
Picked up the PS3 CE, even though I said I wasn't. I didn't feel like changing my pre-order. :lol

It's a really nice package overall, and it's cool to see that ADV will be offering an actual DVD case for vol 1. of the anime for those that got the CE (but they don't have anything on their website for it because of their recent financial woes).

God, people weren't joking about this installation. Taking a thousand hours! Luckily I like reading GAF more than playing games. :D

Jirotrom said:
this really does suck that there is no rumble during the rev...anyone with the ps3 Dual shock 3.... does your controller rumble when it revs?

Only when you press the rev button, not while you hold it down.

Sectus

To anyone who's curious how Automatic mode works in detail, I've done some testing as Nero.

-Pistol will automatically charge after a few seconds when standing idle or moving around
-When firing normal pistol shots you don't have to click for every shot, one click means 3 pistol shots
-When doing melee attacks on the ground it seems the game will automatically choose a combo for the player (including combos which may launch and juggle the enemy)
-The game will give the player random instant-exceed while doing melee attacks (seems to happen about 30% of the time, very few of them being perfect)

I haven't noticed any other effects besides what's listed. Devil bringer seems to work as normal while in Automatic mode. And there seems to be no score penalty for using Automatic mode (understandable I suppose, as an expert player will play worse by using Automatic, only people who has difficulty executing specific combos and using the pistol will benefit greatly from Automatic)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'm out of sync with this franchise :lol

Went to take on Berial with nearly 10K of red Orbs and never once thought about of upgrading my health/skills. Died quite a few times, to say the least. Once I realized my stupidity and levelled up, I beat that sucker like a pancake.

-Pistol will automatically charge after a few seconds when standing idle or moving around
-When firing normal pistol shots you don't have to click for every shot, one click means 3 pistol shots
-When doing melee attacks on the ground it seems the game will automatically choose a combo for the player (including combos which may launch and juggle the enemy)
-The game will give the player random instant-exceed while doing melee attacks (seems to happen about 30% of the time, very few of them being perfect)

Well, people bitched that DMC3 was too hard, so there you go folks! Assassin's Creed style gameplay where the game plays for you! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the fights without lifting a finger.

Lame.

Automatic is laaaame.

C4Lukins

tribal24 said:
ZOMG! lucifer is the shit sigh but i really hate how you have to be close to the swords to make them explode

To late of an edit for me :)

Sectus said:
To anyone who's curious how Automatic mode works in detail, I've done some testing as Nero.

I haven't noticed any other effects besides what's listed. Devil bringer seems to work as normal while in Automatic mode. And there seems to be no score penalty for using Automatic mode (understandable I suppose, as an expert player will play worse by using Automatic, only people who has difficulty executing specific combos and using the pistol will benefit greatly from Automatic)

That is lame that it does not effect your score.

Just braved the snow storm in Toronto to pick up my copy of DMC4 collectors for 360, got the art book to go along with it. Cant wait to start playing, except i am not home yet.

Edit: Man the art book is cheap, half the pages are glued together. Not that i should have expected anything more then that.

Sectus

reilo said:
Well, people bitched that DMC3 was too hard, so there you go folks! Assassin's Creed style gameplay where the game plays for you! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the fights without lifting a finger.

Lame.

Automatic is laaaame.
Well, it isn't all that bad. If you buttonmash like crazy on Automatic you'll get ripped apart on higher difficulties as you won't be properly evading enemy attacks (and most enemies are much more easily killed with specific attacks as well). And doing random combos isn't exactly as ideal as manually choosing the right combo for the current situation.

Although Human with Automatic would be the same as playing Assassin's Creed :p

Automatic on higher difficulties is just having the game lend you an occasional hand while the game kicks your ass.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
CcrooK said:
Is there a way to turn off automatic mode? I had no idea what it was. I just selected yes and carried on.

On Mission select, when choosing which character to play with, hit left or right on the d-pad to turn Automatic on/off.

Jirotrom

Pai Pai Master said:
Only when you press the rev button, not while you hold it down.
360 version doesn't rumble at all.. it rumbled in the movie scenes, I hope they patch it because its pretty lame.

HELP!

I'm in the
Castle level and I'm doing that puzzle with the spike ceiling using your arm to pull yourself across the room and I can't figure out the trick. What am I doing wrong?

Synless

Ok, I'm lost
I just got done with getting my devil powers and after the cutscene with agnus, Nero says I need to go back to the village. I ran all the way back the way I came, but the problem is there is no way up the building you fall down. I've searched around and can't find an exit. Where the fuck do I go?

ManaByte

ToyMachine228 said:
HELP!

I'm in the
Castle level and I'm doing that puzzle with the spike ceiling using your arm to pull yourself across the room and I can't figure out the trick. What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing it fast enough.

Synless

ToyMachine228 said:
HELP!

I'm in the
You have to time it out perfectly so that the ones that are moving are in front of the platform your going to sling yourself to.

Synless said:
Ok, I'm lost
I just got done with getting my devil powers and after the cutscene with agnus, Nero says I need to go back to the village. I ran all the way back the way I came, but the problem is there is no way up the building you fall down. I've searched around and can't find an exit. Where the fuck do I go?
I'm pretty sure there's a hit switch (with the blue swords) that you have to activate to extend the bridge, somewhere around the lab... or something like that... ...

EekTheKat

Synless said:
Ok, I'm lost

It sounds like you might have
missed a door in Agnus's chamber - after Nero gets his powers there should be a door in the same room that leads to an area slightly below the castle with a waterfall background

I sort of remember this part because I had a hell of a lot of problems in the next area.

Raw64life

Played a couple hours of this game and I like it so far. I started on Human mode since this is the first DMC game I will spend more than 30 minutes playing, but it's a little on the easy side. Thankfully you can switch difficulties within the same save file.

ToyMachine228 said:
HELP!

I'm in the

Uh not sure. I kinda just held R1 + mashed O repeatedly and I got to the other side.

Synless

Mefisutoferesu said:
I'm pretty sure there's a hit switch (with the blue swords) that you have to activate to extend the bridge, somewhere around the lab... or something like that... ...
I'm past all that.
I need to get back to where Credo is, I ran back through the snowy place and all the way past Berial, now I can't find how to get back up that building area.

EekTheKat said:
missed a door in Agnus's chamber - after Nero gets his powers there should be a door in the same room that leads to an area slightly below the castle with a waterfall background

I sort of remember this part because I had a hell of a lot of problems in the next area.
Yes, I remember this! The switch is there.

Synless

EekTheKat said:

It's past that area.....it's farther down the backtracking.

Narag

I didn't realize the 360 version had the popup showing where friends were when you first turned it on. God bless capcom for this multiplatform bounty of awesome.

ToyMachine228 said:
HELP!

I'm in the

Approach it like a rhythm game. When you here the sound of the grapple points activating, press the button. React to the sounds.

burgerdog

Synless said:
Ok, I'm lost

Go back up to the second floor and take either side door and that'll take you back out and to the bridge. I did the same thing as you and went all the way back, spent 40 fucking minutes running around :lol I completely blanked out and forgot about the bridge ;/

Synless

burgerdog said:
Go back up to the second floor and take either side door and that'll take you back out and to the bridge. I did the same thing as you and went all the way back, spent 40 fucking minutes running around :lol I completely blanked out and forgot about the bridge ;/
What bridge are you talking about?? The snowy cathedral one by where you fight the first frosts? If you mean to get back to that bridge, I'm past that. I made it all the back past the boats in the water in the beginning of the game.

burgerdog

Synless said:
What bridge are you talking about?? The snowy cathedral one by where you fight the first frosts?

It's not where you fight the first set of frosts, I'm sure you've been there before >.> Not sure how to explain. Okay. You know where the hole on the wall that leads down to the lab? The smashed picture of his holiness(ugh lol)
door ---smashed pic of dude that leads down--- door
take either door on the side and it'll lead you to the bridge.

Synless

burgerdog said:
Ok, well I'm past that.....the area I can't find is past the boats that are in the demo and in the beginning of the game....I know this is going to be one of those in front of your face the entire times things.

Top Bottom