• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Dahbomb said:
Clearly you aren't aware of Gamespot's history with DMC... :lol

See the review for DMC3 then see the review for DMC3SE. After seeing those reviews, that 8.0 was HIGHLY expected from them. I know it's different reviewers and such.... but its still worth a :lol .

Oh and this game is awesome but I think the awesomeness of this game varies depending upon one's experience with the series. People who have played just DMC1, not the other games will love DMC4 as well as people who are first timing with DMC4. People who played all 3 games and loved DMC3/SE MAY not like DMC4 as much as the other people but will still respect it for the game play and aesthetics.

That is why we are going to see such varied impressions from here and out, though I would say that most of them will be fairly positive.
Wierd reviews for the DMC games. They fixed the main problem (the difficulty), yet DMC3: SE still got a lower score!

I preferred DMC1. I loved DMC3 and I would have probably liked it more than DMC1 if it wasnt for the difficulty. The difficult is wnhat really annoyed me, or to be more precise the lack of checkpoints. I hated how you had to start a mission again when you died at a boss. I never played DMC3: SE but I know that they fixed that problem. In DMC4 they seem to have got it spot on. Die at a boss and you start in the room before; die in any other part of the mission and you start again, unless you find a checkpoint. The checkpoint system they've put in place should work really well.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Dahbomb said:
Well according to the supposed TRUE fans of the series
Say no more friend. Say no more...

Let me guess. They are all on some board somewhere. Complained that the story was filled with holes. Some said it was a side story. Said the game changed too many things. Some said they wouldn't consider it cannon. They jump on every bad score to prove their point.

I saw the same thing happen with RE4.

psycho_snake

Dante's still cheesy? That sucks; I couldnt stand his personality in DMC3; all his dialogue annoyed me.

Basch

Game Informer's review is up.

You guys think it deserves its own thread?

"I’ll just get this out of the way: Nero is awesome. Any reservations fans may have about the young upstart replacing Dante as the main hero will evaporate in the first hour of Devil May Cry 4. Nero delivers all of the combo-driven action you would expect from this series, but he also opens the door for new mechanics that will make it difficult to go back to previous installments. Dante established the stylish combat at the core of the DMC, but Nero is taking it forward."

I also wanted to know more about the characters and the plot, but it is ultimately a good thing that the game’s focus on combat never wavers. The expertly tuned balancing is better here than any other entry in the series; it isn’t as punishing as the third game, and the difficulty gradually increases to ease you into new challenges. A seasoned DMC veteran will have no problem with the early missions, but a couple of the boss fights rank right up there with those in DMC 3.

I’ve been a fan of this series since the beginning, and this entry surprised me by giving me new features and options I didn’t even know I wanted. They form a tight, precise combat system that action aficionados will adore, but newcomers can still utilize. Devil May Cry 4 delivers polished, fiendish thrills that eclipse other games in the series, and almost all contemporaries in the genre."

9/10

- Joe Juba

Second Opinion

"Although Devil May Cry 4 introduces a new protagonist, there’s little chance of him being booed off of the TV screen like Metal Gear Solid’s Raiden. Nero is a bona fide killer and, dare I say it, just as likeable hero as Dante. His Devil Bringer factors brilliantly into combat, and adds an over-the-top edge to his amazing combos. Nero could certainly carry this game on his own, but the shocking events in the introductory cutscene make you count the seconds until you get to suit up as Dante again, which you eventually do. And yes, he lives up to his legacy. For both characters, the series’ combat is as exciting as ever, and the bosses they confront are simply some of the best in gaming. The levels, however, suffer from lulls in the action, and far too much repetition in the “fight these enemies to open this door” goals, but their beautiful artistry cannot be denied. Even with some faults, this is the very definition of what I expect from an action game. It’s intense, stylish, and all about the cut of the blade."

9/10

- Andrew Reiner

Shiver

I have a small request. Does anyone where to find a pic of the 4 and the outlining of Nero from the logo without the text?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
forgeforsaken said:
Why is this delayed from Amazon? Is it shipping from elsewhere yet? I just got an email saying next week now, seems ridiculous. I got credits there though so it's my preference to get it from them.

I figured this would happen,they just suck with getting games in on the release date.This happens all the time now.I used a gift card to buy it from them and I too got a email telling me I wont get it till the 13th.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Has anyone posted the backstory of the DMC series in this thread, or know where I could find it?

I played the first, skipped 2, played through a bit of 3 and lets just say I'm totally lost.

:D

Mamesj

Banned
belvedere said:
Has anyone posted the backstory of the DMC series in this thread, or know where I could find it?

I played the first, skipped 2, played through a bit of 3 and lets just say I'm totally lost.

I'm up to mission 7 and let me tell you-- playing the previous games does nothing. There's a guy named Dante, a church that "worships" Dante's father Sparda, Nero was the name of a demon in a past game and that's about all it has in common thus far. :lol

just waiting for Trish and Lady to show up. :(

belvedere

Junior Butler
Mamesj said:
I'm up to mission 7 and let me tell you-- playing the previous games does nothing. There's a guy named Dante, a church that "worships" Dante's father Sparda, Nero was the name of a demon in a past game and that's about all it has in common thus far. :lol

just waiting for Trish and Lady to show up. :(

The whole Nero/Virgil thing has fucked me up. I thought Virgil was Dante's brother, so where the fuck did Nero come from?

Don't laugh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
belvedere said:

I assume you picked up the 360 version then. :D

Seriously, the installation process on PS3 gives a nice backstory (with awesome music). Was a nice surprise. Too bad it only lasted a good 5-6 minutes out of the 20 minute install (so I only had 15 to make a sandwich and surf the GAF).

belvedere

Junior Butler
dark10x said:
I assume you picked up the 360 version then. :D

Seriously, the installation process on PS3 gives a nice backstory (with awesome music). Was a nice surprise. Too bad it only lasted a good 5-6 minutes out of the 20 minute install (so I only had 15 to make a sandwich and surf the GAF).

No, I watched a bit of the hockey game while it installed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SEIKENS GOT IT! I'VE GOT IT!

ZWbQamezz.jpg

pPZpAtkvz.jpg

fpyCHPmfW.jpg

BYE, FUCKERS! :D

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Played untill mission 7, im a BIG fan of DMC1 and a HUGE HUGE fan of DMC3, to be honest, Nero is a pretty awesome character. i like how you build him up to get more and more moves, and bigger reach with snatch. The DT-Specific grabs are fucking AWESOME.

In the next game i think they will build upon nero, some people may hate him now but i have a feeling in the next game or even the game after that he will own just as much as dante. holy shit i love this game. up untill now i would give it a 9/10, minus 1 point because of backtracking/no mission objective menu.

psycho_snake

belvedere said:

Just look it up on Wikipedia.

burgerdog

Loading is about the same as the demo with the exception that every now and then when you go into another area you'll go through a slightly longer load, it's not much, though. Probably between 1.5 to 2 seconds. I also had some trouble readjusting to RT as my lock-on button since I got so used to having it as RB in the demo. Overall, it's been fucking great so far and I'm enjoying Nero, with that said, I also can't wait to play as Dante.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bastards at Best Buy won't sell it till 2 PM even though they have it in. What the hell. I have to wait till tomorrow to pick it up

Kyoufu

psycho_snake said:
Youtube isnt working for me so I cant watch the video.

What happens in it?

Its the ultimate lulz scene from DMC1. You have to see it, the acting is so bad lol

belvedere said:
I did and it left more questions than answers. Especially about Virgil and Nero.

Ok basically, Vergil tried to gain the power of his father, Sparda in DMC3 so that he can get revenge on Mundus who killed their mother when they were younger. Dante defeated Vergil. Vergil, being wounded, went on to fight Mundus anyway. He lost and then in DMC1 he returns as "Nelo Angelo", under the control of Mundus.

As for Nero, Capcom doesn't tell us where he is from. Only that
his demonic power is from Nelo Angelo's soul

maskrider

Watched a Secret mission 3 video from a DMC4 players and learned an easy way of doing it than snatch and enemy step or taunts at super close positions.

Just hold one of the enemies, taunt and use it as the shield, let them attack and kill the held guys and your stylish points will increase.

Mrbob

Stuck at work in like 7 feet of snow right now and I just want to go home and play DMC4.

I need the snow to die down so I can drive home! :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, beat the first three missions (holy crap mission 3 is LONG. Like 45 min long).

C+ game. lawl kidang

--First, the music is really surprisingly good. Has that DMC1 feel.
--Nero starts off REALLY barebones. I can't believe they make you buy speed, that's like punishment.
-----He does seem to have enough moves to buy though. Definitely enough to keep me happy.
--Beautiful graphics
--Not horrendous writing and some lol delivery
--Omg combat
--Huge missions, geeze
--Easier than DMC3 definitely (on Devil Hunter)

A++++++++

Kittonwy

Banned
Pre-ordered CE for the PS3, won't come until tomorrow, Scarborough Town Centre EB sold out of the PS3 version regular edition, STC BBY doesn't have DMC4 yet.
Indifferent2.gif

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Umm, guys...wtf do I have to do at the start of the 4th stage? I just got the
Anima Mercury and fought the armored/winged demons
. HALP.

=(

Mrbob

I'm double dipping missions to upgrade Nero quicker.

First I'm playing the mission on normal, then I am replaying it on Devil Hunter.

Yes paying to upgrade Nero for speed is a bit shitty! But I can ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM now!

Xater

Y2Kev said:
--Easier than DMC3 definitely (on Devil Hunter)

So you would recommend for anyone who played through all the real DMCs (DMC2 was a piece of shit) to start at that difficulty?

Amon37

So I'm looking at the artbook (NA version) and on page 13 it describes how the Blue Rose is suppossed to work.

Now I can't read japanese but the pics don't really illustrate how the gun can fire the bullet from the bottom barrel. I see what looks like two firing pins but how the hammer gets the bottom one is a mystery.

4 hours til I can get home and play it
Well 4 hours and 20minutes due to install :D

Feel Free to add me: Amon37

Kyoufu

Xater said:
So you would recommend for anyone who played through all the real DMCs (DMC2 was a piece of shit) to start at that difficulty?

Human mode is just...don't do it.

Enemies die so easily it defeats the entire purpose of the combat system. Plus you won't unlock the good stuff.

Firewire

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Pre-ordered CE for the PS3, won't come until tomorrow, Scarborough Town Centre EB sold out of the PS3 version regular edition, STC BBY doesn't have DMC4 yet.
Indifferent2.gif

Yeah my EB won't have the CE till tomorrow as well. :(

Danielsan

~Devil Trigger~ said:
STOP PLAYING THE GAME!!!!

IM AT WORK!!!
Stop playing the game because I probably won't get it in the mail untill fucking tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be a long long day of school.

Xater

Kyoufu said:
Human mode is just...don't do it.

Enemies die so easily it defeats the entire purpose of the combat system. Plus you won't unlock the good stuff.

Alright then. Just wanted to check before I play it tomorrow (hopefully). :D

Ronin

Just finished mission 3.

Damn. :lol

I was doing terrible on that whole "platform" bit. I scored a bunch of Red Orbs from the respawning enemies, but walked out with a D on my time.

Top Bottom