• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

vpance said:
I'm trying to get S rank on Mission 2.. I can get the S on time but not on the others. I only got 83% orbs (got special mission super orb, big red crystal thing, cliffside by the docks) where are the rest??

Focus on finishing the mission as fast as possible, also when your up against Beril use your DT when his flames go out, It will sky rocket your style.

Zefah said:
I couldn't beat the time-attack "secret mission" in the first stage, though. Does anyone have any tips on how to beat them in such a short amount of time?
Use the Buster slam move (Devil Bringer arm without lock-on active). Two of those will take out one of those enemies; much faster than slashing them to death.

ezekial45

Banned
I love how the grabbing animations change for Nero when he's using his DT. Using the aerial buster on Berial while in DT was so badass!

ezekial45 said:
I love how the grabbing animations change for Nero when he's using his DT. Using the aerial buster on Berial while in DT was so badass!

Some of the animations for enemies later in the game... damn son

VaLiancY said:
:lol :lol :lol
The scene where Dante was fanning himself on Berial's tail is just too much.

I laughed my shit off when Nero flipped off Dante and Trish while sinking into the huge fist
:lol :lol

Mamesj

Banned
holy shit, I just got my ass kicked on missions 10 and 11! namely the bosses.

I got an "Enemy Handicap" demotion for
Dante.
Is there any really good strat for beating him?

Mamesj said:
holy shit, I just got my ass kicked on missions 10 and 11! namely the bosses.

I got an "Enemy Handicap" demotion for
Dante.
Is there any really good strat for beating him?

R1+circle him and then air buster the arrgoant asshole, it worked for me...sorry I don't have much more advice, it was a rather... exciting battle

ezekial45 said:

DT FTW, I just went up against Berial and owned him.

Narag

Just finished the game, Fantastic, so very fantastic.

"Guess you're aren't just some casual gamer."

:lol

Mamesj

Banned
Surprised no one has mentioned the *ahem* "awesome" shadowing job in the forest. Not sure about the PS3 version, but the 360 version's shadows are really strange looking--like jaggy and sparkly.

MCD

Mamesj said:
Surprised no one has mentioned the *ahem* "awesome" shadowing job in the forest. Not sure about the PS3 version, but the 360 version's shadows are really strange looking--like jaggy and sparkly.
TTP mentioned it some pages ago, don't remember which version though.

KGKK

Banned
Mission 11 help, I'm stuck where there are two snatch orbs in the beginning right after the first divine statue.

Bebpo

Banned
Finished SoS.

Mission 19 on SoS is by far the hardest part of anything through the end of SoS. Hell I'd say it's harder than anything in DMC3 on normal. I finished it with a LOT of continues and a 45 min clear time and I still got S-rank in time ^^;

Once you learn the dice trick 19 almost makes up for not having a boss rush mode. You can jump straight into each one and on SoS they're fun and challenging as hell. Dante vs. final versions of the bosses is still not too bad because Dante is just way too strong + his DT rocks, but Nero vs. them is tough stuff.

Anyhow, playing on Son of Sparda upped my appreciation of the game quite a bit. It's a pretty awesome action game and SoS difficulty was just right for not too frustrating but not easy. Fighting enemies was generally really fun since they actually have enough health to do cool combos and it's intense. There were a few parts where it's overwhelming (2nd to last Dante stage) and I pretty much had to just kill/kill/kill and stay alive instead of play stylishly, but for the most part you can mess around and have a ton of fun against normal enemy groups on SoS. The bosses are all awesome on SoS and you're really forced to learn their pattersn and they're patterns are pretty good. I had a few issues with the camera, a few issues with the lock-on, and a few issues with jumping when I'm trying to do an evade roll while locked onto a boss, but it wasn't a big deal, just could have been tightened up a bit more.

Going through DH & SoS with some Bloody Palace landed me with around 22 hours played, so I definitely feel like I'm getting my money's worth and there's enough content in the game despite the backtracking. After finishing it on DH I thought it was DMC3 > DMC1 > DMC4. Now I'd definitely go DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC1.

Mamesj said:

I think the forest looks like shit on my CRT HDTV. The contrast is all jacked up and everything looks washed out like there's no lighting and you're in a 3d game editor and then the shadows everywhere looks jaggy and bad. The rest of the game looks good or great, but man I'm not a fan of the forest. Looks a little better during Dante's trip through because the lighting is different, but it's still messy.

maskrider

Reno said:
Just watch the dice... whatever number is on top when you hit it is what number you'll get. You don't need to hit it more than once. i.e. if you need a 5 to get to the spot you want, and on the dice, 3 comes before 5. Watch the dice rotate, and wait for the 3. Once it pops up, you'll know you'll have enough time to hit the dice so that when the attack connects, 5 will be on top.

Hit it with devil bringer will give you the correct number (the same one on top), I'd tried hitting it with red queen or the gun it seems to be not quite under controlled.

With this trick that part can be very good for red and green orbs (land on blue over and over).

Jesus christ, I'm at the last mission before I get Dante, and the boss is piss easy until he
wakes up the statue
at which point I have literally been unable to deal any further damage to him. How the fuck do I get over to him after taking his shield down before he disappears and then regenerates it?

Mamesj

Banned
badcrumble said:
Jesus christ, I'm at the last mission before I get Dante, and the boss is piss easy until he
wakes up the statue
at which point I have literally been unable to deal any further damage to him. How the fuck do I get over to him after taking his shield down before he disappears and then regenerates it?

Came down to luck for me, but it seems like there has to be a trick to it...

Mamesj said:
Came down to luck for me, but it seems like there has to be a trick to it...
I've been more or less staying airborne for the whole battle but there simply doesn't seem to be any attack window once his shield is down; he just flees and there's no way to catch up fast enough.

Bebpo

Banned
badcrumble said:
wakes up the statue

You get one chance and if you miss it...statue time. I agree it's pretty annoying. One time I kept doing snatch and flying PAST HIM so my slices were just out of range and then statue.

badcrumble said:
I've been more or less staying airborne for the whole battle but there simply doesn't seem to be any attack window once his shield is down; he just flees and there's no way to catch up fast enough.

Let him get distance, then wait for his flame attack and then jump -> snatch -> slash a few times.

Teknoman said:
So you played the game, yet dont know the main character's name?

I played about an hour of it when it first came out. I should probably be ashamed for not remembering a generic character name from a videogame that I didn't care much for, that I played over a year ago, but I'm really not.

ElyrionX

Ummm, so this game is kind of easy on Devil Hunter, I'm up Stage 11 and I can beat most of the bosses on my first try. The only one I really had difficulties with was
Dante

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hehe finished up picking up Culdcept Saga today
Go DMC
360 version complete sell out(Something like 50+copies) and PS3 only a few remaining(said a few more then half of 360 version). So something like 75copies sold just at the gamestop by me!!! Huzzah!!!

Anyways...What I came to save...Where be the Auto Save:lol I beat the first 3 mission before... Turn off. Forgot to save lol. I've become so use to the Autosave feature. Had to replay them today and last night. Pretty much in same spot i finished lol >_<

Then I proceeded to play Kingdom Under Fire >_> Bad me:lol

Some more Impressions.
S ranks on missions are tough. I don't really understand how I'm supposed to get the Orb count needed...its like i break every chair, kill every enemy...hell even for mission three i fell down a **** load in torture camber and still only got a B.

Combos, I'm getting much better at it, pulled off an SS a few times now. Reving seems to vary a llot...sometimes I'm hitting it 3/4 while others 1/5. Anyone have some tricks on reving again?:lol I'm also getting a bit better at timing my moves.

ElyrionX said:
Ummm, so this game is kind of easy on Devil Hunter, I'm up Stage 11 and I can beat most of the bosses on my first try. The only one I really had difficulties with was
Dante

Yeah, it's pretty easy I think. I can't wait to go through it on a harder difficulty.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
BradVanDam said:
but i dont know which one i want how much faster is the ps3 ver
Either one is fine:lol About what it comes down to is...want a 20min install and 5gigs of harddrive taken...or a sec off most load times. When loadtimes are hardly even there to begin with. Just pick up the dam game and play:lol

Tokubetsu

I'm just wondering what everyone's life guage is at. I'm at mission 8 boss and I still only have one bar of health and 4 or 5 dt notches.

Bebpo

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I'm just wondering what everyone's life guage is at. I'm at mission 8 boss and I still only have one bar of health and 4 or 5 dt notches.

I have like 1.5. I'm missing at least 2 blocks from secret missions and then I'm guessing I'm missing a shitload of hidden ones in the levels because there's got to be like 2 or 3 blocks left after SMs.

Tokubetsu

Thanks for the link. I've been skipping the secret missions for the most part (guess this was a bad idea). I did the first couple or so but failed one after that (the one where you have to grab and buster without touching the ground) and it killed my morale.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
odd question for life gauge stuff...do they stack? from different levels...like Sparda-Dante must Die, etc. Like i can just keep adding to it

Mission 10 is showing the camera flaws again, dammit capcom will you ever make a game with a normal camera? and i was having so much fun.Difficulty is also ramping up.

Bebpo

Banned
Artie said:
So whats the secret to the dice puzzle? That would really help me getting owned in mission 19 :(

Hit the dice when a 5 is on top with your devil buster = ends up on 5

cycle is ALWAYS the same. For instance 1->4 and 3->5. I just see which comes before the number I want since I don't have fast enough reflexes to hit the number I want when it appears. But if I know the number that comes before it I can just hit O when it turns over.

BradVanDam said:
what difficulty is everybody playing on

Play it on DH. Human is worse than Ninja Dog.

Aladuf

Banned
God Damn this game is awesome! I played a few missions today and I'm blown away by how fun it is... it just makes me wish I played the other DMC games before.

Top Bottom