• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

That was more like people didn't want to believe it.
Didn't want to believe it, but it was also pretty fundamentally unbelievable. If you look at Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, the action gameplay in those is 100% hot garbage and the movement controls are the opposite of tight. Literally their only strengths were environment art design and affordable high quality mocap. It's kind of a miracle that DmC ended up playing as well as it does (though yeesh, the story).

I so don't want to have this conversation again, lol.

Didn't want to believe it, but it was also pretty fundamentally unbelievable. If you look at Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, the action gameplay in those is 100% hot garbage and the movement controls are the opposite of tight. Literally their only strengths were environment art design and affordable high quality mocap. It's kind of a miracle that DmC ended up playing as well as it does (though yeesh, the story).

Those and their stories were really interesting IMO. That was one aspect of DmC that I thought I wouldn't need to be worried about. But oh boy, was I ever wrong.
DMC 5 is still happening right !?
Yep. Sometime in the next 2-3 years.

Which makes me question how much Capcom helped the team . I wish we got a more in-depth view of Itsuno's help than the couple of interview blurbs we got..

Seyavesh

I just think that something like e.g. Shotgun Stinger should be a standard move with the gun (as it was in DmC) without even needing to switch to Gunslinger style.

As far as Ebony and Ivory are concerned, Rainstorm/Twosome Time might feel a little bit trickier with regular directional inputs, but if you look at DMC3's Gunslinger movesets with the Shotgun, Artemis, and Spiral, all of them could technically be done just with directional inputs on the regular shoot button - really, the only gun I can think of with a moveset too big for that is Pandora.

I'm a big fan of a lot of what DmC did with guns, by the way - Kablooey's a fun take on the basic concept of DMC4's Lucifer (and I think I prefer the overall idea as a gun rather than as a Devil Arm, though outside of a much easier detonation Kablooey offers fewer options as it's implemented in that game), and adding Ricoshot as the way E&I charged shots work is *much* more fun than their implementation in DMC3 or 4 and much better than having an entire dedicated gun for that mechanic (i.e. Stinger).

i don't think it's really applicable for shotgun or artemis as a large point of those weapons is that you can be actively mobile while charging them- adding an input hold+direction to them would increase frustration and limit mobility as you would consistently get accidental shit trying to move forwards/backwards or make it irritating to do common moves on the fly (with back->forward inputs)

with spiral it'd definitely be more applicable as it has no charge but that goes back to my statement on pandora-like weapons- it's doable on those but you'd have to figure out a specific purpose for the input moves alongside the style moves.

if your goal is to simplify the control scheme by removing the style button altogether then ultimately you'd still have to deal with attempting to integrate those moves into regular actions which is what gets you cut down movelists for the sake of convenience towards that shit- it's why DmC only has one real special move on all it's guns (since they had a two button combination input for those and also realized direction+input for guns would be irritating for players, otherwise they would've done it in the same way as their stinger or other moves)

i can only speak for the shotgun because i am an insane person who does shotgun-only stuff in dmc3 but the basic charged shot being separate from stinger/fireworks goes a super long way in making the shotgun dynamic and interesting to use- the power combination of point blank into charged shots requires interesting execution (hold and high mash at the same time) and allows that to be rewarded when using gunslinger style- the sheer damage output and crowd control you get as it unloads is pretty great.

rather than taking that away from weapons that don't have it, i think doing interesting things with non-charge weapons in terms of inputs is definitely the way to go if they want to try it out. pandora gets to have a pretty massive moveset specifically because of that, which is what sets it apart from e&i and the shotty in 4.

overall 4's e&i and shotty charged shots are wack as fuck and nigh-useless but at the same time i think that's a flaw in their design of gunslinger and the guns in general rather than an overall statement about how interesting those/gunslinger are as a style- doing unique stuff with charging in weapons is already somewhat there in nero and lady's pistols alongside the already pre-existing artemis and vergil spiral swords/sword formations

what i want from dmc5 in that regard isn't to do random additions or simplification, but to refine and expand on the toolsets available to dante as to give him that variety and power that dmc3's arsenal packs. it may not have to be totally on the fly, but even loadouts is good enough for me on that aspect. there's a level of customization and personal expression that comes with that type of variety that i think was lost with dmc4's all-encompassing loadout.

Dahbomb

E&I and Shotgun in DMC4 are relics of DMC1 and don't really work as well when styles are integrated like that.

In DMC4, the other charge gun attacks have more impact than just "faster/more damage" as the charge attacks start gaining properties which is more interesting. Hell even in DmC E&I charge shots led to Ricochet which was one of the better things that game did because Ricochet led to some dope combos and set ups.

Not really sure how to make Style moves for guns work without a style button or a style modifier button. You can't make Shotgun Stinger be R1 + Forward + []... it just does not work. You can only make that work (like Seyavesh said) if you can't move during shooting with those guns.

Seyavesh

oh that actually reminds me, one other aspect of charge shots that is interesting from dmc3 vs. dmc4 that didn't get carried over is from the way DT'd enemy armor works

in dmc4 it's a specific amount of hits that causes enemies to stagger while in dmc3 everything has different stun values- so charged shots's increased amount of stun comes into play often vs DT'd enemies as something like a charged shotgun blast allows you to launch the DT'd version of most enemies immediately while in dmc4 it does jack and squat

Dahbomb

oh that actually reminds me, one other aspect of charge shots that is interesting from dmc3 vs. dmc4 that didn't get carried over is from the way DT'd enemy armor works

in dmc4 it's a specific amount of hits that causes enemies to stagger while in dmc3 everything have different stun values- so charged shots gain an insane amount of value vs DT'd enemies as something like a charged shotgun blast allows you to launch the DT'd version of most enemies immediately while in dmc4 it does jack and squat
I know but that system is really really weird and obtuse.

It's like you go through 3 modes of the game thinking you have a general grasp of how the move mechanics work and then you get into DMD and realize your combos don't work and you have an extra mechanic to work around. Then you realize that every single move has a special property value that dictates how it interacts with the DT aura and you need to complete rework how you approach the combat.

This is one of those things that sounds good on paper and rewards the hardcore players for experimenting but it's really obtuse and non intuitive. When I was knee deep into DMC3, we didn't even learn about this until like months after the game's release after a lot of people including myself had already SS ranked DMD DMC3.

The DMC4 DT system is definitely boring though, worse than even DmC's. DmC's system you could remove DT armor by parrying or doing particular obvious stuff to remove shields (like charged up Eryx moves).

They need to rethink the DT system for enemies AGAIN in DMC5.

I'm honestly fine with the basic framework of Dante vs regular enemy having the same balance of DT Dante vs DTed enemy - that way what changes is the basic DT economy (you want to counter-DT when enemies do) and that affects how you approach battles in terms of when you're going to be building up vs burning the meter but doesn't mean you start having to use a totally different moveset.

I know that's pretty basic but IMO it works well because the existing balance is already good.

Also, to a few of you: good point re: moving and shooting with the shotgun getting in the way of directional inputs, I hadn't thought about that.

Dahbomb

You can probably getting away with making it so that you don't move while shooting with a Shotgun. There is almost no benefit to moving while shooting with a Shotgun. Less so with E&I because then you will be missing out on the swagger step while moving back and shooting that is like a classic DMC trait.

This is the kind of thing that the team needs to be thinking hard about. I want them to be challenging long established stuff in DMC to push it to the next level. If there's no benefit to moving while shooting with a Shotgun... then why is it in the game if it's limiting design?

I mean that's how we got DMC3. The team wasn't fine with just making DMC1.5, they pushed the combat to the next level by challenging established mechanics.

You can probably getting away with making it so that you don't move while shooting with a Shotgun. There is almost no benefit to moving while shooting with a Shotgun. Less so with E&I because then you will be missing out on the swagger step while moving back and shooting that is like a classic DMC trait.

This is the kind of thing that the team needs to be thinking hard about. I want them to be challenging long established stuff in DMC to push it to the next level. If there's no benefit to moving while shooting with a Shotgun... then why is it in the game if it's limiting design?

I mean that's how we got DMC3. The team wasn't fine with just making DMC1.5, they pushed the combat to the next level by challenging established mechanics.
Moving toward a downed enemy while shooting them with the shotgun in DMC3 looks boss as hell, even if it isn't Stylish or particularly utilitarian. But yeah, agreed. I ultimately think the shotgun would benefit a lot from forward + lockon + shoot giving shotgun stinger and backward + lockon + shoot doing fireworks and/or a shot behind the head (isn't that sort of a hidden/unnamed move? I can't remember).

Gun *charging* should definitely just always be there, I think.

E&I definitely absolutely must have mobility attached to them, though, and that means moving while shooting. However, the ricoshot thing would already go a long way toward making them as useful and versatile as the Blue Rose (best gun in the series imo), as would bringing back elemental bullets during DT.

As for Rainstorm/Reverse Rainstorm... maybe Crazy inputs? I dunno. I'm fine with Gunslinger continuing to exist, I just want the existing gun input to be as powerful and versatile as possible so Gunslinger can be freed up to do even more. Kinda like how Nero was able to cram a launcher, rising launcher, air juggle, *and* descending slam onto the Red Queen without needing a Swordmaster button for the air juggle (because an air forward+attack input was added). Stuff like that is just sensible (though, of course, I think high time/helm splitter are iconic and I'd much rather get midair stinger added).

Seyavesh

moving while shooting with a shotgun/e&i is super beneficial because you can reposition yourself for stuff, especially in terms of e&i juggling and whatnot

like, the prime difference between the shotgun and spiral is specifically the versatility in mobility and firepower vs. spiral's locked-in-place firepower. it makes a massive difference in how the weapons function and how you can play with them- spiral only runs are exceedingly boring while shotgun only runs can be extremely dynamic given that level of freedom you have while using it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I might be missing something painfully obvious, but why can't you have toward+gun be gunstinger when locked on? It's effectively the same thing as Stinger. Locking Dante in place for the directional moves wouldn't change anything besides not allowing him to strafe or walk backwards while firing. You can use the soft lock auto targeting to move forward and make adjustments to position while firing the shotgun and lock on while performing shotgun specific moves.

For longer range weapons, I agree it'd be an issue, but with the shotgun specifically I don't know if it would be that big of a deal.

I'm not suggesting it's ideal. I just don't find that particular example damning.

Dahbomb

a shot behind the head (isn't that sort of a hidden/unnamed move? I can't remember).
It's called Backlash, it's not a hidden move.

Since we are going for random wishlist stuff anyway, I will just throw in some stuff.

This is a wishlist of random, very minor stuff that I would like to see. I have already talked a lot about the major things.

*They have to increase the movement speed while locked on. That way the new player can get more used to being in lock on mode rather than just not locking on and mashing buttons which is how a lot of people seem to play DMC including journalists. There's no reason why Dante should become slower while locked on.

*Character shouldn't start aiming with their gun while locked on. Like this is another one of those RE relics from DMC1 that should've gone away with DMC3. When a new player sees this they automatically want to start shooting with their gun when they are locked on. The gun should keep aiming after shooting so we can still retain that flavor but I would prefer a new stance while in lock on.

*Said it before but there should be a toggle option for Lock on so that you can tap lock on and it will remain locked on until you choose to take it off (changeable in the menus). This is really just a quality of life change, it's really about time to be honest. Pretty much every game that has lock on nowadays has this option.

*I really hope they don't move towards the "cancel anything" Vergil mechanic from DMC4SE/DmC because that would be too easily exploitable. I mean it leads to some wild stuff but it's a balancing nightmare. If they want to have this type of mechanic then have it use DT meter kinda like how GGXrd does it with the Roman cancels. That way you can still swag out using this stuff (especially in the Super costumes) but you can't use it all the time for stuff like evasion, pressure and huge DPS.

*I want to see some use of slow down time like they do in Tekken 7 or like just frame dodges. I think it would be neat if it was attached to Perfect Just Releases.. you don't do those that often anyway. Nothing that happens too often though, it would ruin the flow of the combat but just enough of it sprinkled in to produce the hype. Would be cool to see slowdown when you are about to get hit by a lethal move and you have already hit dodge but you don't know if the attack will connect or not... will create for a real tense situation.

Just some random ideas thrown out there.

moving while shooting with a shotgun/e&i is super beneficial because you can reposition yourself for stuff, especially in terms of e&i juggling and whatnot

like, the prime difference between the shotgun and spiral is specifically the versatility in mobility and firepower vs. spiral's locked-in-place firepower. it makes a massive difference in how the weapons function and how you can play with them- spiral only runs are exceedingly boring while shotgun only runs can be extremely dynamic given that level of freedom you have while using it
That's why I said keep it for E&I.

The prime difference between Shotgun and Spiral is that Shotgun can be used in the air and Spiral has far superior range. No one goes around walking and shooting with the Shotgun... that's something people do when they are first playing the game. I am not talking about removing shooting Shotguns in the air by the way... that would be a terrible change.

I might be missing something painfully obvious, but why can't you have toward+gun be gunstinger when locked on?
Because if you want to move forward while locking on and then shoot you will then come out with a Stinger. Reason it works for grounded attacks is that you can't move around while attacking with a sword but you can while shooting with E&I and Shotgun.

With E&I you have better movement while shooting, with Shotgun you have a very slow walk speed while shooting to the point where it has almost no real practical application. Sometimes you want to be shooting something from a distance but also not be a stationary target which is a legit use for E&I... but Shotgun has no range and at close range it matters very little that you can move an inch vs not moving at all. So why are we allowed to move at all? If they are afraid to add Stinger like motions to Shotgun because of this then it needs looking at again.

Seyavesh

I might be missing something painfully obvious, but why can't you have toward+gun be gunstinger when locked on? It's effectively the same thing as Stinger. Locking Dante in place for the directional moves wouldn't change anything besides not allowing him to strafe or walk backwards while firing. You can use the soft lock auto targeting to move forward while firing the shotgun and lock on while performing shotgun specific moves.

For longer range weapons, I agree it'd be an issue, but with the shotgun specifically I don't know if it would be that big of a deal.

because doing so removes the freeform versatility of the weapon- by doing something like that you lose the freedom of mobility in exchange for more moves of questionable use that could theoretically be fulfilled by other, more specialized weapons (see: spiral, kalina ann, artemis)

old dumb vid of my own, but you can see me walk around a lot just to space myself properly so i can react to the fireball guy's attacks- stuff like that would be gone and it's a vital part of that free-flowing firepower that the two staple guns (e&i, shotgun) represent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhrk3k0fqE

Dahbomb

I see very little walking around and more just jumping/teleporting Shotgun which is the main point of difference between that and something like Spiral (that you can use Shotgun in the air and can't use it for Spiral).

Like that is such a small use of that feature that it's questionable to even be in there to begin with. Like if you want to space yourself at a distance then just space yourself by moving. You don't have to be shooting non stop.

A better reason to keep the moving while shooting thing is that you can reduce Shotgun lag like in DMC1. In that game it kinda made sense to allow you to shoot while moving but you had such limited options in that game that you kinda had to use whatever you had. And even then moving while shooting with a Shotgun had no real practical use. It's almost better to do something like Shotgun on the ground, jump Shotgun, then Air Hike Shotgun... better DPS and better mobility/evasion. And this is in DMC1...

If they want to keep moving while Shotgunning then they have to increase the movement speed a lot to make it actually interesting and swag.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
because doing so removes the freeform versatility of the weapon- by doing something like that you lose the freedom of mobility in exchange for more moves of questionable use that could theoretically be fulfilled by other, more specialized weapons (see: spiral, kalina ann, artemis)

old dumb vid of my own, but you can see me walk around a lot just to space myself properly so i can react to the fireball guy's attacks- stuff like that would be gone and it's a vital part of that free-flowing firepower that the two staple guns (e&i, shotgun) represent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhrk3k0fqE

Thank you for the video example. I'm still not sure that this couldn't work with swapping between auto targeting and manually targeting, or forcing the input to be a tap toward with gun instead of just a general buffer towards, but that might just be needlessly complicated.

*I really hope they don't move towards the "cancel anything" Vergil mechanic from DMC4SE/DmC because that would be too easily exploitable. I mean it leads to some wild stuff but it's a balancing nightmare. If they want to have this type of mechanic then have it use DT meter kinda like how GGXrd does it with the Roman cancels. That way you can still swag out using this stuff (especially in the Super costumes) but you can't use it all the time for stuff like evasion, pressure and huge DPS.

Because if you want to move forward while locking on and then shoot you will then come out with a Stinger. Reason it works for grounded attacks is that you can't move around while attacking with a sword but you can while shooting with E&I and Shotgun.

With E&I you have better movement while shooting, with Shotgun you have a very slow walk speed while shooting to the point where it has almost no real practical application. Sometimes you want to be shooting something from a distance but also not be a stationary target which is a legit use for E&I... but Shotgun has no range and at close range it matters very little that you can move an inch vs not moving at all. So why are we allowed to move at all? If they are afraid to add Stinger like motions to Shotgun because of this then it needs looking at again.

Vergil is, quite frankly, a bullshit beta character that breaks all the rules. They'd better not keep that cancel anything without limitation schtick in a future title.

And yeah, I recognize the issue with long range weapons like E&I, but I was confused about shotgun Stinger specifically.

Which of course leads into "guns don't need to have universal command normals". They already have unique use, utility, and application.

Dahbomb

Guns have always been such a peculiar aspect of DMC.

You can't make them "good" or else they will be good enough to cheese through the game with because of their range and no ammo. You can't make them terrible either because then you would be wasting time even using them.

This is even harder when charge gun attacks come into the equation. If you make charged attacks like in DMC1... then they are very limited in use but if you make them like in DMC3/DMC4 then you basically need to remap your controller to make you are always charging which frankly is kinda cumbersome.

I like the idea of just released charges for guns that DmC added. Kinda makes you pay attention to your charges. They also got the right idea with Lady in that charge attacks with huge rewards don't allow you to do much of anything else during the charge animation.

Seyavesh

eh, guns are pretty damn good in dmc3- they just took a massive step back in 4

but they are also the center of a style that was designed to be playable on it's own.
even then, that style is generally considered underpowered specifically because of the overall design balance of the game- the gun moves don't match up to the utility of the other base style's signature stuff- air rave, trickster everything, royal release/guarding

however, when you add in style switching, gunslinger becomes a very real and useful thing

the big thing with them isn't strictly that they're ranged attacks but also in their specializations- they tend to be lower commitment than melee attacks in some manner and provide unique cancels/actions that otherwise you can't do. the whole point of dante carrying guns around both ingame and storywise is that firearms fulfill a unique role in his arsenal that sparda didn't have (...assuming luce and ombra aren't his guns, anyways. who knows with those anymore, since dmc4's library doesn't say they are)

like, a shotgun shot technically deals more damage than a single swing of rebellion while having ess commitment in a multitude of ways. it also knocks enemies back which makes it so that unless you've cornered/forced an enemy to a wall you can't annihilate them with gunfire. so it's not an objectively better option, but it's still a good option in many situations.

like, the very specific reason why the guns are so shit in dmc4 but good in dmc3 not only have to do with the variety of arsenals and lost mechanics (crazy combos) but also in just the raw firepower and coverage that they provide- a shotgun blast in dmc3 will fuck enemies up and it is very viable and welcome to work shotgun moves into your play while in dmc4 the wild inaccuracy of fireworks alongside the general weakened shots and lessened hitboxes make it lose gameplay value by a large margin.

Dahbomb

They obviously nerfed a big portion of Dante's arsenal in DMC4 because of Style switch mechanic. Probably something that makes sense on paper but it just gives the character a half baked, wet noodle feel outside of a few moves.

I want earth shattering DMC1 Stinger back please.

TreIII

As for Rainstorm/Reverse Rainstorm... maybe Crazy inputs? I dunno. I'm fine with Gunslinger continuing to exist, I just want the existing gun input to be as powerful and versatile as possible so Gunslinger can be freed up to do even more. Kinda like how Nero was able to cram a launcher, rising launcher, air juggle, *and* descending slam onto the Red Queen without needing a Swordmaster button for the air juggle (because an air forward+attack input was added). Stuff like that is just sensible (though, of course, I think high time/helm splitter are iconic and I'd much rather get midair stinger added).

Yeah. And especially if Lady being a playable character ends up being a permanent thing (which I certainly hope it does!), then that would hopefully make it so that they would have more reason to do more with just Dante in himself. Let him get the most out of his "base", instead of needing a "Gunslinger" style in the first place.

I don't know man. MT Framework went from being one of the most clean and best looking engines early last gen with DMC4 and RE5, to having messy, chaotic and in some cases just down right ugly visuals with RE6, Dragon's Dogma and RE:R2.

Engine definitely scales very good between supporting multiple kind of games on multiple platforms but I think it's reaching its limits visual wise. I mean even look at DMC4SE, Vergil who is the only character that they had to design from ground up with MT Framework arguably looks the least detailed character between the 5 mains, when it comes to modeling and such. (this is very apparent in his intro cutscene)

Capcom didn't even use MT for Umbrella Corps which was a budget title and instead decided to work with Unity. It just seems like that MT is finally running out of fuel and can't be used efficiently to make current gen only titles.

So, unless DMC5 is supposed to be a cross gen game when it releases sometimes in 2018-2019,
(it's kinda terrifying that I can see a very small chance of Capcom actually trying to do something like that)
then I honestly don't see them making it on MT.

I'm just thinking from the general standpoint of keeping my expectations in check, knowing how Capcom can be. For example, I'd be highly surprised if Monster Hunter 5 (which will likely be exclusive to Nintendo's NX platform) would be on anything but the MT. There's no way I can see them ditching all of the work from the 3rd and 4th gen games, which were constructed on the "modified" MT engine made for portables, and start over from scratch. They'll take advantage of the new platform's strengths to likely make things look prettier, and much more "next gen", but it'll be in a way to make sure that such a venture is still profitable.

And especially if Capcom is still a bit pensive about wanting to re-establish DMC, without spending too much money? All the more reason why I could see such a thing going down.

But I guess to be fair, we really do need to see more about what Capcom has in store for "actual" next gen development. So far, we've got UE4, the "Resident Evil" engine and whatever Phanta Rei may be, if it does indeed still exist. Anything's possible at this point, I guess!

Dahbomb said:

YES LAWD

They obviously nerfed a big portion of Dante's arsenal in DMC4 because of Style switch mechanic. Probably something that makes sense on paper but it just gives the character a half baked, wet noodle feel outside of a few moves.

Yeah, this.

Also, honestly, even on an animation/sound level DMC1/3 Dante beats DMC4 Dante. The air-distortion effect for swinging Rebellion/Alastor is great, much better than the sort of black gradient effect for the same thing in DMC4, and the sandbursts from Hell enemies do a great job at making gunshots feel like they're having an effect that matters. DMC4 Dante's mechanical depth is incredible but that feeling of impact is often absent.

I'm just thinking from the general standpoint of keeping my expectations in check, knowing how Capcom can be. For example, I'd be highly surprised if Monster Hunter 5 (which will likely be exclusive to Nintendo's NX platform) would be on anything but the MT. There's no way I can see them ditching all of the work from the 3rd and 4th gen games, which were constructed on the "modified" MT engine made for portables, and start over from scratch. They'll take advantage of the new platform's strengths to likely make things look prettier, and much more "next gen", but it'll be in a way to make sure that such a venture is still profitable.

And especially if Capcom is still a bit pensive about wanting to re-establish DMC, without spending too much money? All the more reason why I could see such a thing going down.

But I guess to be fair, we really do need to see more about what Capcom has in store for "actual" next gen development. So far, we've got UE4, the "Resident Evil" engine and whatever Phanta Rei may be, if it does indeed still exist. Anything's possible at this point, I guess!
Oh yeah I can definitely understand keeping expections in check. After all, it's Capcom we are talking about here. Even if the core game turns out to be amazing, they'll most likely find some way to disappoint us. (case in point, SFV)

Though, I don't think we can really compare DMC with MH to be honest. Especially when it comes to what kind of engine and visuals they go for in each series. MH was never a looker to begin with. That's why Capcom stayed with handhelds (for the most part) and 3DS, even though they could have made a better looking game on PS Vita. I'm sure the fact that 3DS completely destroyed Vita sales wise, was another big reason that they stayed on it, but still, I think you understand what I'm trying to say.

The same goes for Basara series. I mean these games don't look awful visually but they really aren't good looking either and they kinda never were. That's why they stick with MT framework and outdated visuals for them, cause no one expects to see amazing graphics in a Basara title. Visuals aren't the reason people buy these games.

DMC though, it's kinda the complete opposite of those two. DMC has never been a bad looking series. Even DMC1 was impressive visually for an early PS2 game. DMC3 is one of the best looking PS2 titles of all time IMO, and DMC4 still puts a lot of PS3 games to shame, especially when you take in consideration that it was released in 2008 and runs at a very stable 60fps.

Even the bastard child DmC had some impressive visual stuff going on with its morphing environments and all that.

So, while having great visuals might not be DMC's biggest selling point, it's definitely something that many people have come to expect from the series.

Yeah, I think presentation matters for the series. That's partly why I'd rather see it move to a series of like 20 fully-enclosed but gorgeously detailed (and well-differentiated) arenas, like you'd get in a fighting game. I don't need a sense of geography in DMC but it still should have an evocative art style.

Dahbomb

Keep the TGS hype at absolute minimum guys. Capcom has detailed their stage schedule and there is not a single unannounced/secret title in it :(

http://gematsu.com/2016/08/capcom-announces-tgs-2016-stage-schedule
200.gif

I will always believe.

Seyavesh

I was thinking whether to do another thread like last year's. Reading through some of the posts from that one is both saddening (quite a few believers) and interesting.

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1101525

Or maybe I should do one for Capcom as a whole like this year's E3?

this is re7's year to hype it up, they need that shit to succeed so all eyes will be on it

next year is dmc's year

that's my belief and lines up with the dev schedule stuff where johnny was like 'well we haven't been called in to work on it yet' which means it's still not in that finalized mocapping/VA work phase yet

this is re7's year to hype it up, they need that shit to succeed so all eyes will be on it

next year is dmc's year

that's my belief and lines up with the dev schedule stuff where johnny was like 'well we haven't been called in to work on it yet' which means it's still not in that finalized mocapping/VA work phase yet

Yeah, that makes sense.

But still it's kinda funny though. Reading that thread, a good number of people said the same thing last year, but here we are.

P.S: I guess I'll juts make a TGS thread since we don't even have one about that.

Golnei

By the way, the other DMC4 pachislot also had a soundtrack release. If this means anything for V's musical direction, the implications are...interesting. I don't think the series has ever been associated with such pure examples of J-pop, even in the anime.

Also, I think some of the composers may have been under the impression they were working on Sengoku Basara. And I'm pretty sure this is the main theme of RE2...

So the new intro for the pachislot is up.

New voice over with the original cast, new motion capture, new ost...

That picture with Bosch and Langdon really was probably just for the Pachislot.

So the new intro for the pachislot is up.

New voice over with the original cast, new motion capture, new ost...

That picture with Bosch and Langdon really was probably just for the Pachislot.

Feels like overkill to bring them in just for the pachislot... But at the same time judging from jyb's previous comment, pretty sure they haven't stated va and mocap

Dahbomb

Nah it's Wednesday 1 PM Central US time I believe.

I am interested to see if they will reveal Deep Down with PS4 Neo. There was that rumor on it.

Man, if Capcom drops DMC5 out of the blue in one of these coming conferences... I don't know if I can handle that. Last year's Yakuza 0 announcement at PSX almost gave me a heart attack and that was even hinted by Verendus before hand.

Man, if Capcom drops DMC5 out of the blue in one of these coming conferences... I don't know if I can handle that. Last year's Yakuza 0 announcement at PSX almost gave me a heart attack and that was even hinted by Verendus before hand.
I feel like PSX might be the DMC5 reveal, we probably would have gotten a leak beforehand... What has been rumored for this TGS to be revealed so far?

I feel like PSX might be the DMC5 reveal, we probably would have gotten a leak beforehand... What has been rumored for this TGS to be revealed so far?
PSX seems like a much smaller event as oppose to stuff like TGS or E3. It's more for niche title announcements like Yakuza and stuff (and I actually love it for that) but I don't think Capcom will do something like DMC in it. Though I would really love to be proven wrong.

As regards to TGS, I personally haven't heard anything yet. CC2 did some trademarks for a Boruto game and that's about it.

Dahbomb

If it's not at TGS then I won't legitimately expect it until E3. Could be that they don't want to reveal it until it's in a near finished state.

Honestly I don't know why so much time and energy was put into Deep Down when Capcom could have put that into DMC5, which has brand recognition already... Capcom going to Capcom? Also RE7 was rumored before E3 right?

Honestly I don't know why so much time and energy was put into Deep Down when Capcom could have put that into DMC5, which has brand recognition already... Capcom going to Capcom? Also RE7 was rumored before E3 right?
I think Deep Down was Capcom seeing the market for Souls like games and trying to cash in on that.

To answer your RE7 question, no I don't think it was. We knew that it would be released by Q1 2017 due to Capcom's financial reports but there were no rumors about it being at E3. Dead Rising 4 on the other hand was completely leaked before the event.

Also, since we don't anything else to talk about right now, I was wondering, is there any other game announcements that you guys would take over DMC5?

Dahbomb

is there any other game announcements that you guys would take over DMC5?
Nothing over DMC5 but these would get me close:

Marvel 4 (or Marvel 3 update)
Dino Crisis 4
Zone of the Enders 3
Ninja Gaiden 4
Metal Gear Rising 2

More unlikely to happen than DMC5 though.

Top Bottom