• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For a new page

It depends on the context. They're both assigned to the same button for a reason. Most will tell you that a jump is almost always a cleaner option that allows for a quicker counterattack, but it also needs to be timed better since you're using the invincibility frames and not the actual clearance.

Baalzebup

For a new page as i got caught up in DMC/NG/ random Platinum Game talk :p

Discussed just a few pages ago:

Any tips for dodging for all character? I always dodge in wrong way because of lock-on and thanks to camera :(
The regular jump has invincibility frames in the startup. If you time your jump, you can actually jump through almost all attacks. Just think of your regular jump as a dodge and press it at the last second to avoid an attack. This is universal.
It's deliberate and a design choice. Your regular jump has a lot of quick invincibility at the start, while your roll has much longer invincibility frames. The jump carries you vertically but doesn't have much horizontal clearance without air hike, so you can't just hop out of trouble whenever you feel like it. You have to time your jumps and be calculated.

Or alternatively, whynotboth.gif. Both types of evasion have their places.

gunbo13

It wasn't intended to be an insult. I disgree with you about DMC fanboys being appreciative of other character action games. I find a lot of them tend to dismiss other action games, but I'm just going by my own experiences with DMC fans. I love both games for different reasons and don't prefer one over the other like I used to. I put both of them on the same level for different reasons.
I have not seen this... I think NGB is the 2nd best action game ever made. So...
Someone uploaded a tutorial for DMC4SE debug mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cttA9qXBl9s

Seems you can do a bunch of stuff like turn off damage, boss rush and must style mode.
HUGE news.

Dahbomb

Also i'm wondering if i should jump to dodge more or the actual dodge/table hopper.
Which character?

With Dante you want to be doing Dashes with Trickster Style and Air Trick with Trickster. It's faster especially if you do the Royal Guard cancel. Of course this is all very hard to do mid combat (ie. switch to Trickster style then Dash, then Royal Guard to cancel recovery, then back to Trickster etc) and that's why he's Dante.

With Nero Table Hopper is good evasive tool on the ground. The standard roll is fine too (which is Table Hopper if you don't time the roll). In the air your only option is to active Devil trigger when you are about to get hit as it has loads of invulnerability.

With Vergil, you always Teleport to evade. It's a smaller window but it lets you keep on the offensive and it cancels your attacks. In Devil Trigger mode, Vergil has the most broken evasion in the game where he can basically Trick Down instantly from the air and side teleport dash for i-frames all day. So saving Devil Trigger for evasion is really powerful with Vergil.

With Lady and Trick your roll is the best option. I have heard that Lady's back + Triangle move has some invincibility. Also her air Devil Trigger has invincibility too but it uses up all of your Devil Trigger stock so you can't spam it like you can with Nero (it's just a last resort type thing). For these characters jump is a good option too especially with Trick because she has the Flush property on her jump arc.

I find a lot of them tend to dismiss other action games, but I'm just going by my own experiences with DMC fans.
You probably missed the part where I said NGB is a GOAT tier action game and among the holy trinity of action games. I was just pointing out some faults in the design of the game. I point out way more faults in the DMC games than I do the NG games (fuck I was just defending NG2 for like a whole page).

Seems you can do a bunch of stuff like turn off damage, boss rush and must style mode.

It's so ridiculous that some of these options aren't in the game proper.

It's SO SO easy to have a Boss rush and Must Style mode put into the game (in addition to DMD + LDK mode stack).

TreIII

Man, all the Bayo 1/2 discussion makes me wish that the Wii U release had been both games integrated into one huge campaign (so by the end you'd have four health bars, five magic bars, the full weapon/accessory set from both games, et cetera, and hopefully a difficulty level ramping up accordingly).

The two of them are great companion pieces as far as plot is concerned and it would've been nice to see them turned into one massive game somehow.

Agreed. I mean, I love Bayo2's weapons, but I find myself missing the Bazillions, Sai Fung and Pillow Talk a whole lot, and wish that there was a way I could carry them over into the new game.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I already knew that you would get to use the Beowulf in DMC3 because it was promoted in many of the trailers (he was doing Beowulf moves etc). But if I hadn't seen the trailers and I got to fight Beowulf, he escaped and then saw that Vergil took Beowulf's weapons I would've been MAD SALTY and then MAD HYPE when I take the Beowulfs for myself!

That shit was super well done. It basically established a lot of things about Vergil in those few scene.

DMC3's trailers were so well done.

silva1991

If DMC5 is coming I really hope they improve the platforming, because that's the only thing preventing me from finishing mission with the top score.

They should improve alot of things:

1- no more limiting dodge rolling to the sides and I should be able to roll to all directions
2- no more fixed camera in some areas.
2- give us an option to change the camera sensitivity.
4- hire someone that can actually make good level design.

also why can't I speed run when enemies are nearby?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I suspect it's because there's a combat move, Rainbow, that's tied to the sprint. It'd also get annoying when you're trying to make smaller movements and get Speed with the short charge time.

And I firmly disagree about the rolling on all sides for all the reasons already listed.

It depends on the context. They're both assigned to the same button for a reason. Most will tell you that a jump is almost always a cleaner option that allows for a quicker counterattack, but it also needs to be timed better since you're using the invincibility frames and not the actual clearance.

Interesting.

I guess it will just be up to what i feel then at the moment

Discussed just a few pages ago:

Or alternatively, whynotboth.gif. Both types of evasion have their places.

hmm looks like a missed that, cool

Which character?

With Dante you want to be doing Dashes with Trickster Style and Air Trick with Trickster. It's faster especially if you do the Royal Guard cancel. Of course this is all very hard to do mid combat (ie. switch to Trickster style then Dash, then Royal Guard to cancel recovery, then back to Trickster etc) and that's why he's Dante.

With Nero Table Hopper is good evasive tool on the ground. The standard roll is fine too (which is Table Hopper if you don't time the roll). In the air your only option is to active Devil trigger when you are about to get hit as it has loads of invulnerability.

With Vergil, you always Teleport to evade. It's a smaller window but it lets you keep on the offensive and it cancels your attacks. In Devil Trigger mode, Vergil has the most broken evasion in the game where he can basically Trick Down instantly from the air and side teleport dash for i-frames all day. So saving Devil Trigger for evasion is really powerful with Vergil.

With Lady and Trick your roll is the best option. I have heard that Lady's back + Triangle move has some invincibility. Also her air Devil Trigger has invincibility too but it uses up all of your Devil Trigger stock so you can't spam it like you can with Nero (it's just a last resort type thing). For these characters jump is a good option too especially with Trick because she has the Flush property on her jump arc.

It was Nero currently but thanks for listing every character since i'm sure the question would have appeared again for whoever.

Also Dante's sounds like his DMC3/SE days so that should be fun to get back to (loved Trickster mainly because of all that movement) :D

Son Of D

Tempted to buy the unlock all modes cheat and then quickly run through Nero/Dante to get their weapons and abilities. Then dive right into Bloody Palace. The campaign is just annoying me.

Rean

Finished Nero's story last night. Kinda dissapointed how he ended up afterwards. I also bought a good amount of dante upgrades, and I can already tell the style switching is gonna be difficult for me.

Darksim

After playing through this with Vergil and Lady/Trish, I have to say the second half of the story really is awful. It's great that debug mode is happening for SE, playing this again got me to go back to regular 4 and use debug/SpoilerAL to try and really learn how to Dante.

How do people control their direction when they do Sky Star Guard Flying? I can't get my finger from the dpad to the stick fast enough lol. I can do the Full House version at least.

Doing Full House > inertia Rainstorm twice in a row is 10/10

Triple Guard Flying is 11/10

Also the motion for hitting hitting X then Circle one frame later is making my thumb hurt, I should try to fix that before my fingers die.

Dinjoralo

I remember seeing a really good DealWithIt.gif, somewhere in this thread. The one where Dante's throwing spikes into the hellgate wall. Anyone wanna help me find that?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
As a newbie, I finished the game with Nero/Dante on Human, which was way too easy. What would you recommend next? Another one with those two?

As a newbie, I finished the game with Nero/Dante on Human, which was way too easy. What would you recommend next? Another one with those two?

If you want to unlock the next difficulty you must do Devil Hunter (which is the normal mode anyways and human is basically easy mode) then each difficulty cleared will unlock the higher one.

The one exception in this release is the immediate availability of the Legendary Dark Knight or LDK difficulty, which iirc is the pretty much similar to the difficulty unlocked by clearing Devil Hunter but with WAY WAY more demons to fight during an encounter. So if you want the challenge, especially since you now have some idea of what to do with Nero/Dante, then go for it

As for the character stuff you could continue with those 2 on a higher difficulty or try out the other 3 (Lady/Trish have the same split like Nero and Dante, Vergil does the whole thing on his own).

The game gives you a bunch of choice so its your call.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! I honestly only picked Human because of the description of Devil Hunter which was apparently exaggerated.

Sesha

Lol, mods saving DMC once again.

They should improve alot of things:

1- no more limiting dodge rolling to the sides and I should be able to roll to all directions
2- no more fixed camera in some areas.
2- give us an option to change the camera sensitivity.
4- hire someone that can actually make good level design.

The roll is fine. It has its uses. Instead they should give each character a dedicated dodge button, and in the case of Dante just give Trickster and Royalguard dedicated buttons.

Agreed on everything else, though the fixed camera is fine for places with no enemies, like the bridge to Fortuna castle. Having a few dynamic camera positions throughout the game to enhance the atmosphere and show of the environment is good, but that prerequisites the good level design part.

Lol butterfingers Vergil.

So Dante has a total of 3 gauntlet class Devil Arms... I think they should bring one of them back instead of designing a fourth one for the next game.

They can bring back Ifrit and revamp it if they absolutely have to have a typical gauntlet weapon.

First 4 Figures posted a revised DMC3 Dante head. It looks better, but he's too tan.

10733947_10153003597626732_1638139010307164906_o.jpg

Son Of D

I don't know why but I held out with the campaign and have now got BP. Just need to get the last blue orbs and upgrades now.

Also, fuck The Savior. What a terrible boss.

Definitely too tanned. Face shape is getting better but still off. Are they still asking for input on getting the features correct?

Yup, they said they will lighten his skin tone. I hope they pull it off because this will probably end up being a legendary statue like the Zelda figures they have released. The Twilight Ganon is amazing.

Seyavesh

fighting the annoying enemies as trish got a lot more fun once i realized that her divekick streak counts as a projectile and that it hits really often

blitz still are lame as fuck though, it still ultimately boils down to waiting around though i guess it's good practice for getting down perfect tk divekicks nonstop

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
so i know one can buster blitz twice in the vanilla, i forgot how to do it in 4SE?

You can Buster Blitz three times. You just have to be quick about it. You have enough time to run up after each animation finishes and keep doing it once the lightning shield is gone.

ShinMaruku

Man clowning the Old dude is the best thing about this game. XD
I think Vergil's force edge combos are kinda ham. I need to nail it down.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just played my first mission as Dante.

NOW I understand why this game is held in high regard despite the bad campaign. The styling flowed as soon as I got a hold of him in a way that I could never do with Nero.

ShinMaruku

Just played my first mission as Dante.

NOW I understand why this game is held in high regard despite the bad campaign. The styling flowed as soon as I got a hold of him in a way that I could never do with Nero.

Yup Nero just feels incomplete. If he had more weapons and the Buster it would be ok.

Veelk

Banned
I want to thank whoever posted that cheat enabler or whatever. I was sitting on the game because I didn't want to play as Trish. Infinite DT basically killed everything in short order until I got back to m' Lady.

I'm sure higher level players can make Trish sing, but she's just... The least fun DMC character of all time for me. Granted, I never played dmc2, but other than that...

Well, I'm glad to be moving onto Vergil :)

Top Bottom