• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

I just bypass them although I can see how some people would relish in them. I get more than enough challenge and variety from the main game. The hardest of the hardcore probably consider the main game just training for the secret missions.

I understand your point from a general level, but I just can't fathom how anyone on the planet would enjoy trying to get A.I. to do something to itself. This secret mission is enraging me to no end, and just wasting the small amount of time I have to play a game after work at night...

I know I could just skip it, but unlike the later games, I can't just go back and do it later, which is thoroughly annoying

Edit: Am I allowed to hit these guys and damage them at all? Or do they have to do all of the damage to themselves?

gunbo13

I just bypass them although I can see how some people would relish in them. I get more than enough challenge and variety from the main game. The hardest of the hardcore probably consider the main game just training for the secret missions.
Nope, I hate the secret missions.

Dahbomb

No hardcore player trains for secret missions. They are more like small previews to some of the tools and tricks in the game. Some are nice while others are awful. This applies to all DMC games.

The main thing you have to know about combat adjudicators is that you can repeat a move if two to three moves were used in between it. So you can do Stinger, Hightime, Aerial Rave, Combo I, Stinger and it will keep raising the style. Swordmaster moves raise the style a ton as they are multi hitting and designed to raise the bar. Beowulf's combat adjudicator is easy if you have Real Impact and so is Rebellion's if you have Dance Macabre.

I can't believe I may literally have to stop playing the game tonight with no progress made because I can't get two spiders to kill each other.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Any good videos of how this looks? Need something new to play until Prototype since Silent Hill HD collection is... depressing.

Here's a pretty good video doing a quick Youtube search.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIUwI8J6rbo&feature=sh_e_se&list=SL

I'm sure there are better ones, but this was the first result. The games look great.

I can't believe I may literally have to stop playing the game tonight with no progress made because I can't get two spiders to kill each other.

I just did this on Hard earlier today. It's an annoying one since the Kyklops can be pretty random, but you want to DT whenever possible to slow health loss and get in a pattern of jumping back and forth between the two spiders, in front of their faces. That's the best I can offer. If you're getting close to dying, you may as well taunt for DT. Remember that you can save as soon as you finish the Secret Mission, if you want, so you don't have to do it again (in case you die on your way to completing the Mission.

Dahbomb

I hate that special so much.
Don't be mad because Dante be stylin' on you.

Also the initial dash that he does is great for getting in with SM and you can just cancel any slash that you want so it's no big deal. It's best as a combo starter or a combo ender if you want to go the Crazy Roll route.

The last hit of this move in DMC4 had crazy Distortion damage.

Carbonox

"Paragraph 13 -

The Nightmare possesses several cores. Each time a core is destroyed, it's self defense mechanism activates and its attack formation will change. Watch closely for the attack formation changes."

DA FUQ?

I'm in the second fight with Nightmare right now and I've made him reveal all the cores he can but still no entry. What do I have to do? Wait until the final battle where he reveals the end core during the berserker stage or something?

EDIT: No worries, I got it. Turns out you just need to destroy any of the cores that appear. All that's left for this stupid trophy is the Fetish grab one. :|

gunbo13

Don't be mad because Dante be stylin' on you.

Also the initial dash that he does is great for getting in with SM and you can just cancel any slash that you want so it's no big deal. It's best as a combo starter or a combo ender if you want to go the Crazy Roll route.

The last hit of this move in DMC4 had crazy Distortion damage.
Well, you can surely guess why I don't like the move. And your first sentence alludes to it.

I use it though...as creatively as I can:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q8buprGu-4&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q8buprGu-4&t=3m57s

The shredder -> dash under -> drive -> ice age is awesome shit.

Himself

Ordered it today, should have it soon.

Should I just go 1 -> 2 -> 3 if I've never played them before?

I'm going through them for the first time and I don't regret playing 2 even though there is no way I'll ever play it again. At least give it a go and if you hate it an hour in you can safely quit knowing you aren't missing anything aside from some decent art direction here and there. It's definitely the weakest of the 3 (probably of the 4, and I really can't imagine DmC is going to be worse than DMC2) and for the most part just a bad game.

Okay, so I finally got past that secret mission, got Ifrit, so now it's purchase time...

So far I have Stinger lvl 2, Air Hike, Air Raid, 1 blue orb, and 2 purple orbs purchased. I have about 1600 in orbs. Any suggestions now that Ifrit is available?

Okay, so I finally got past that secret mission, got Ifrit, so now it's purchase time...

So far I have Stinger lvl 2, Air Hike, Air Raid, 1 blue orb, and 2 purple orbs purchased. I have about 1600 in orbs. Any suggestions now that Ifrit is available?

Max dat Meteor.

Kick13 is great for cheesing melee enemies though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If you want to follow the storyline chronologically, you should play 3 first, followed by 1, and finally 2.

I did that, but only because I had already played through the titles. I wouldn't recommend that order to anybody on their first playthrough.

ScOULaris

I did that, but only because I had already played through the titles. I wouldn't recommend that order to anybody on their first playthrough.

Release order is always the way to go, regardless of the series.

In this case, though, just omit DMC2 altogether. It's really not worth playing all the way through, unless you just want to give in to morbid curiosity.

Yeah if you actually want a sense of the gameplay evolution (and the gameplay matters more than the story), go 1->3->4 while understanding that each game has its advantages and its disadvantages in that department. 2 is interesting from a sort of academic point of view, in terms of understanding what it contributed and what led things in a different and better direction for DMC3, but it's not worth playing through for its own sake.

ScOULaris

DMC2: You had to be there...
to truly understand what a disappointment it was.

If you didn't play the series when it came out, then just play 30-40 minutes of DMC2 to see why everyone hates it. Anything beyond that would be completionist masochism.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

If you didn't play the series when it came out, then just play 30-40 minutes of DMC2 to see why everyone hates it. Anything beyond that would be completionist masochism.

Probably the saltiest I've ever been as a gamer. Dark times, man.

LProtag

Fair enough, I'll give 2 a try but if I don't like it as much as I'm assuming I'll like 1, I'll just skip it.

If I completely fall in love with the series I'll probably buy 4 and then maybe play 2.

Carbonox

Nightmare 3 on DMD... I'm about to face him now and I'm shitting it. The main fights against Nightmare are fine but with this chump, it's the final stage where the orb shits out lasers and missiles...

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm still so rusty. Had to use a vital star on Nightmare 3 normal mode. I'm not trying to mess with DMD right now.

Defuser

I nearly fell asleep playing it.

Controversial opinions are a-go:

DMC2 is an ok game
DMC1 is a better game than DMC3
DMC4 has better non boss enemies than DMC3

That said, the entire series (yes I like DMC2, it was my first one, I will always have some sick twisted affection for that game, and I know it has some big flaws, those damn airborne enemies/bosses) is one of my favorites, also this HD collection is done just fine!

DMC2 is an ok game

That said, the entire series (yes I like DMC2, it was my first one, I will always have some sick twisted affection for that game, and I know it has some big flaws, those damn airborne enemies/bosses) is one of my favorites, also this HD collection is done just fine!

I personally think DMC1 is the best in the series.

Yes DMC1 is the best in the series, yes DMC3 has way better bosses than DMC4!

....Furriatarus, Bolverk and Despair Embodied deserve to be in a better game damn it!

Carbonox

Beat Mundus 1 without getting hit. Mundus 2 however loves his cheap shots, especially when there's cover in front of him. Fucking cunt.

EuroMIX

DMC2 is an ok game

I like you.

2 is nowhere near Sonic '06 level of bad, it's just worse due to circumstances and the level of quality the other games in the series have. 3 may not exist in the form it does without 2 e.g. Rebellion, Bloody Palace.

Also, for some reason I don't recall ever hating 2 when I first played it. In fact I liked a few things about it compared to 1, specifically the 3rd person underwater combat (I generally hate 1st person views) and the better button configuration (in my opinion).

ban25

Release order is always the way to go, regardless of the series.

In this case, though, just omit DMC2 altogether. It's really not worth playing all the way through, unless you just want to give in to morbid curiosity.

For newcomers to old series, I generally recommend people play the newest game first, since it usually has the highest production values and most refined game mechanics. As much as I love DMC1, it is 12 years old and I think DMC3 is much more accessible (not to mention forgiving) to newcomers, given the save/replay system and on the fly weapon switching.

Likewise, I'm a big fan of Phantasy Star, but I never suggest people should play PS1 before they play PS4.

Nemesis_

I can't get a FETISH to fucking jump on me ;_; This is so annoying. Last thing I need to do to wrap up DMC1

EDIT: Got it. Basically if you are flying in DT, I am assuming landing resets the Fetish's "attack AI" or something. So if you're back is to him he will approach you and throw you. It's still a small chance it will happen, though.

Yes DMC1 is the best in the series, yes DMC3 has way better bosses than DMC4!

....Furriatarus, Bolverk and Despair Embodied deserve to be in a better game damn it!

You''re all wrong. Bayonetta is the best in the series. Otherwise it's 3, because I play for the combat and 1 feels boring after playing 3. But DMC 4 Bloody Palace > DMC 3 Bloody Palace.

Top Bottom