• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Nemesis_

Aye, out of the two times I tried Vortex when Mundus twirled towards me, only once did I inflict damage without taking it myself. I think you have to time it so that you emerge from Mundus at the end of the Vortex animation.if If you stop Vortex while he's still in the motion of going through the screen (for lack of better wording), you'll take damage.

Hard to explain haha. Gotta try it again myself.

The battle was so daunting for me - but once you guys reminded me of the vortex and the critical hit chance it becomes so much more manageable. Dare I say it's almost possible now for me to actually finish the first phase of the battle without damage.

The second phase is a bit daunting now though - seems more like a test of endurance as the method is pretty sound. I noticed killing the dragon Mundus summons actually regenerates quite a bit of your health - anyone know if there's a way to bait the dragon out? =P Or any tips at all for that final battle?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I can't get the Sin Scythes to do their umbrella ability (and the attack that comes after it) or their circling technique. Tried to get two batches of Sin Scythes to do this but to no avail.

Kill all the Sin Scythes in a room except for one or two, then pop off E&I shots every now and again. Sometimes it takes a really long time, but they'll eventually circle and do the umbrella move.

Carbonox

I'm just done.

I'm terrible, it wasn't worth streaming too much really.

That's a shame. It's definitely a rewarding series if you put the hours in.

The battle was so daunting for me - but once you guys reminded me of the vortex and the critical hit chance it becomes so much more manageable. Dare I say it's almost possible now for me to actually finish the first phase of the battle without damage.

The second phase is a bit daunting now though - seems more like a test of endurance as the method is pretty sound. I noticed killing the dragon Mundus summons actually regenerates quite a bit of your health - anyone know if there's a way to bait the dragon out? =P Or any tips at all for that final battle?

No way to bait the dragon AFAIK.

Regarding the fight itself, just make sure you shoot all the orbs. The big ones give you DT but even if you don't have DT shoot them anyway, as Mundus will use them as comets later on. This may work in your favour though if you're good at timing because you can hit the comets back at Mundus for some nice damage. If this is too risky for you, go with the destroy all orbs plan. The little ones are just pesky machine gun 'turrets' that can really grind away at you if you don't take them out so always go for the ones in the immediate vicinity.

Otherwise spam your Sparda fireballs. Play it safe rather than getting up close and personal. Going up to Mundus and striking him leaves you open and you can't plan counters to him properly.

Kill all the Sin Scythes in a room except for one or two, then pop off E&I shots every now and again. Sometimes it takes a really long time, but they'll eventually circle and do the umbrella move.

Fuck. I just finished Mission 15 where you get a load of them in the open courtyard. I was running around like a lunatic for 20 minutes waiting for them to do the abilities. :(

I dont get it, I make DMC3 my bitch on any difficulty including DMD but I the first Nelo Angelo battle in DMC1 gave me a game over on NORMAL. I'm raging.

All of this has made me look into the DmC stuff a bit closer because I really do want more of this series' gameplay. 30 fps will be a damn hard pill to swallow though, even if the combat turns out really good.

"I dont get it, I make DMC3 my bitch on any difficulty including DMD but I the first Nelo Angelo battle in DMC1 gave me a game over on NORMAL. I'm raging."

Wow, the exact opposite for me. I just steamrolled through DMC1 including DMD but I'm dying several times on Normal difficulty in DMC3, even though I have more prior experience with the latter. Granted, I AM playing on Turbo and Yellow orbs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Not many days left... soon I will have this game inside me.

Nemesis_

All of this has made me look into the DmC stuff a bit closer because I really do want more of this series' gameplay. 30 fps will be a damn hard pill to swallow though, even if the combat turns out really good.

"I dont get it, I make DMC3 my bitch on any difficulty including DMD but I the first Nelo Angelo battle in DMC1 gave me a game over on NORMAL. I'm raging."

Wow, the exact opposite for me. I just steamrolled through DMC1 including DMD but I'm dying several times on Normal difficulty in DMC3, even though I have more prior experience with the latter. Granted, I AM playing on Turbo and Yellow orbs.

Yeah, I feel that DMC is very unbalanced towards Dante. Once you put all your skills up and unlock everything, it seems a little bit too easy. That is until you hit Dante Must Die, which as I previously said feels more like tests of endurance rather than tests of true and pure, unadulterated skill.

DMC3 on the other hand provides so many tools and enemies specific to those tools, I feel. I definitely still think DMC3 is a better game but I love DMC for it has this kind of lingering Resdient Evil-esque feel in it's progression.

ban25

Finished DMC3 in Normal mode for 40% of the trophies. I'll do Hard and attempt a DMD run, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get the Bloody Palace trophies.

I did just start a play through of DMC1 and I'm really enjoying it. It's been so long since I first played it, but it looks great in HD and the gameplay is still top notch.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's surprising how entertaining Devil May Cry 3 is even after all these years.

Not feeling it so much with the first and especially the second game.

Sera O

Banned
I'm playing DMC for the first time. It is gooooood.

Started out fine and was having no problems. . . until I reached
that first boss. The spider guy repeatedly hands me my ass
(I am trying to get through without items). There has to be a better way to beat him than helmbreaker, right?

Okay I see Air Raid upthread. The thing is I don't have enough red orbs - and I don't even think I've bought anything yet. I just have gone straight through the missions. Is there some way of redoing missions to get more orbs that I am overlooking?

Nemesis_

I'm playing DMC for the first time. It is gooooood.

Started out fine and was having no problems. . . until I reached
that first boss. The spider guy repeatedly hands me my ass
(I am trying to get through without items). There has to be a better way to beat him than helmbreaker, right?

Okay I see Air Raid upthread. The thing is I don't have enough red orbs - and I don't even think I've bought anything yet. I just have gone straight through the missions. Is there some way of redoing missions to get more orbs that I am overlooking?

If you really want to, you can kill enemies, then save, then reset.

Your orbs will save but the mission progress will not. Rinse and repeat.

You cannot repeat missions.

Archon473

I'm curious. How familiar are you guys with the DMC series? Are you using the HD collection to relive your time with the games, or is this your first time playing the series?

I'm not sure I'll be able to get the Bloody Palace trophies.

I don't own the HD collection, but if I had to guess I'd say you could earn them using any of the costumes
hint hint.

There has to be a better way to beat him than helmbreaker, right?

Make sure to Helmbreaker his mouth as he charges his fireball. Your sword can reflect his fireballs back at him for major damage. Also, block strings build your Devil Trigger meter. Build three bars, then DT and use the O,O,O (triple slash) string to break his guard and pummel him. You should be able to build an attack loop in DT that constantly breaks his guard and damages him easily.

Sera O

Banned
I'm curious. How familiar are you guys with the DMC series? Are you using the HD collection to relive your time with the games, or is this your first time playing the series?

I've played DMC 3 and some of 4 (really liked both of those) but this is my first crack at the first game. Atmosphere wise I like it a lot, maybe better than the others I've played. I'm really early in so I don't have much at my disposal yet. I'm a lot slower now too apparently - been a while since I picked up any games like these.

Make sure to Helmbreaker his mouth as he charges his fireball. Your sword can reflect his fireballs back at him for major damage. Also, block strings build your Devil Trigger meter. Build three bars, then DT and use the O,O,O (triple slash) string to break his guard and pummel him. You should be able to build an attack loop in DT that constantly breaks his guard and damages him easily.

Thanks, I will try that. It was going pretty well with DT and helmbreaker/just jumping on his back at opportune times, but I was in a really crappy location for a couple of his lava attacks. It's seeming more doable now.

Nemesis_

I was probably about 15 when I first played Devil May Cry. I actually bought it because it came with a Code Veronica demo which I absolutely HAD TO HAVE.

I beat DMC on Dante Must Die! mode.
I beat DMC2 on whatever the hardest mode available was, and never went back to it.
I beat DMC3 on Dante Must Die! mode as well, but I missed out on the Special Edition.

I consider myself well "versed" in the series and this is a great way to relive it, but as someone else mentioned as I am much older now I am able to trule appreciate them much more for what they are.

So a bit of both, to answer your question =P

Archon473

Another tip regarding Phantom: shooting him with your shotgun builds DT, even when he blocks.

I'm struggling to determine whether or not to buy this collection. I still own DMC1, DMC3:Dante's Awakening, and DMC3:Special Edition. I'd pretty much be buying this just for the trophies. Still, it is enticing. It's the same situation with MGS and ZOE. I kept my PS2 collection, but you know... trophies! My birthday is in a week, I have the money... I'd love to play through DMC3 again and verify my accomplishments (with trophies!). Should I spend the $40? My, oh my...

gunbo13

I'm curious. How familiar are you guys with the DMC series?
Very.

I would purchase the HD collection even if you own the originals. I did and I have 4 console DMC games and 2 on PC. I've also done pcsx2 on the PS2 titles and it isn't nearly the same as the HD collection. DMC runs great but has horrid slowdown against frosts with those particle effects. DMC3 emu has issues with bugs. The originals give me mental pain with those jaggies on my 60" LCD.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Another tip regarding Phantom: shooting him with your shotgun builds DT, even when he blocks.

I'm struggling to determine whether or not to buy this collection. I still own DMC1, DMC3:Dante's Awakening, and DMC3:Special Edition. I'd pretty much be buying this just for the trophies. Still, it is enticing. It's the same situation with MGS and ZOE. I kept my PS2 collection, but you know... trophies! My birthday is in a week, I have the money... I'd love to play through DMC3 again and verify my accomplishments (with trophies!). Should I spend the $40? My, oh my...

You're also paying for upgraded visuals (which, for some reason, a lot of user reviews gloss over :p). DMC1 holds up surprisingly well aside from the occasional pixelated skybox, and DMC3 looks gorgeous.

There's also the gallery and music, which are pretty good, even if incomplete.

As with many others here, I think I'm pretty well versed in DMC. I beat DMC1, played through some of DMC2. Then beat DMC3, DMC3:SE, and DMC4 on DMD. I absolutely love this collection so far. It's totally worth $40.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I don't think it's redundant to having a distinct action game thread down the line. They just made a NG1 thread because one wasn't currently available to discuss strategies, and everyone's replaying NG1 and NG2 in light of NG3's mediocrity.

So I finished my Vergil run yesterday. I'd forgotten how broken and overpowered he is. I never really trained much with Vergil, but I S-Ranked all of the Missions (aside from some of the earlier ones I speedran) on the first go around by accident without trying.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Playing as Vergil isn't about getting S-rank... it's about showing how to control a God.

Dahbomb

DMC1:

Beaten on all difficulties, S ranked on all difficulties, SB ranked DMD mode, beat DMD starting game from scratch.

DMC2:

Beaten on all difficulties, beat Bloody Palace (well it never ends, I just got to the last floor and then it starts looping). No point in going for skill runs in this game.

DMC3SE:

Beaten on all difficulties, SS ranked on all difficulties with both Dante and Vergil, beat DMD from scratch, beat Bloody Palace with both characters.

DMC4:

Beaten on all difficulties, S ranked on all difficulties, S ranked Bloody Palace.

I would say I am versed with the series.

Vergil is very powerful once you learn to control him and abuse his tools. He has way less tools than Dante but everything he has is so effective and is able to handle anything in the game. Dante is still much more powerful than Vergil because he has RG but if you don't have that level of skill, Vergil is going to be way more effective. It's a similar case in UMVC3 where Dante with all his tools is on paper probably better than Vergil but due to better damage, higher ranged normals and superior mix ups plus less tools/easier to play Vergil is better at slightly lower level of play.

If you want to play as a god, select Vergil's Dark Knight costume for the Nelo Angelo DT. That shit is purposely made to be broke.

gunbo13

It's easy to become bored once you're a God.
Then ESC on AR x 1 would be his judgement. You don't even need SS but adding it makes you godlike. Sick crowd control with no enemy DT and good low maintenance damage with BS on DT. His tele games, if you know how to keep yourself invulnerable with ESC, are also ridiculous. That goes with his rush-down as well, which is godlike. His rapid slash easily buffers into instant judgement cut and he maintains nasty block stun with FE/Yam combo cancels. Not to mention that he gets 24/7 access to Beo with starfall which ESC's right into AR x 1 nicely. No need for a launcher either and the positioning is great with trick-up. Oh and his DT is stellar along with dark ki.

So yea...he is pretty good when you know his games.

Dahbomb

The most powerful thing on Vergil aside from his ability to ALWAYS be shooting his Swords while attacking is that the stun on his moves like Judgment Cut is so high that it overrides the armor that DT enemies have if you do a few of them in a row.

For those that don't know, DT enemies in DMC3 work different from the entire series. Every DT enemy in the game has "hyper armor" and the hyper armor can only be broken by performing strong moves like Stinger/Hightime which cause more than normal stun or a special property stun (like knockback/crumple/launcher etc). A normal enemy that is DT'd might require like 2-3 Stingers to break his hyper armor before you can launch him. Some moves have more stun than normal (I believe Hammer is good at doing this) while others like Real Impact have so much that they can break through the hyper armor.

Judgment Cut and especially Nelo Angelo's Fireballs have so much stun and crowd control that they can basically eviscerate a group of DT'd enemies with relative ease. It's why Vergil is so powerful, also a lot of his other normals moves have more stun to them than with Dante (I think Vergil's Stinger breaks armor faster).

Note that the hyper armor DT properties on DMC3 is something that I never explored fully so I don't know how much it takes to break something like Hell Sloth (it's a lot I can tell you that) nor do I know how much stun each move is worth. I am sure some of the top players who still play DMC3 know this but this is above even my pay grade. I mention some of it in my DMC3 Advanced Mechanics FAQ on Gamefaqs but that thing is so outdated now it's not even worth bringing up now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Vergil is very powerful once you learn to control him and abuse his tools. He has way less tools than Dante but everything he has is so effective and is able to handle anything in the game. Dante is still much more powerful than Vergil because he has RG but if you don't have that level of skill, Vergil is going to be way more effective. It's a similar case in UMVC3 where Dante with all his tools is on paper probably better than Vergil but due to better damage, higher ranged normals and superior mix ups plus less tools/easier to play Vergil is better at slightly lower level of play.

Right. In canon Vergil only used three of the Devil Arms, and they balanced it so that the three Devil Arms could functionally serve as Dante's entire armory, but with better damage, mobility, and recovery. Tacking on SS is just unfair since you can shoot them while buffering and attacking.

On paper, Royal Guard beats everything, yes, but for anyone approaching an unfamiliar fight, Vergil is equipped to overkill everything. Which is not to say that Dante doesn't have the tools to overkill, but Vergil has the tools to be incredibly efficient in ANY fight without changing weapons.

Giard

Stupid question: How do you unlock easy mode in DMC2? Dying 3 times on mission 1 doesn't seem to work.

edit: Yeah it doesn't exist, nvm.

gunbo13

Note that the hyper armor DT properties on DMC3 is something that I never explored fully so I don't know how much it takes to break something like Hell Sloth (it's a lot I can tell you that) nor do I know how much stun each move is worth.
Usually more then a typically "power" string from Vergil before they tele out. It is very difficult to break their hyper armor on their initial aggro. You can usually break on two Hell Sloth tele-in sessions with starfall into AR x 1. If you start playing with high animation lag attacks, you likely won't make it. AR last attack and lunar phase probably have the best direct stun. Stinger likely follows.

I would have better luck with Beo/A&R SM to break hyper armor on first aggro with a Sloth.
In canon Vergil only used three of the Devil Arms, and they balanced it so that the three Devil Arms could functionally serve as Dante's entire armory, but with better damage, mobility, and recovery.
I wish I could swap out FE for something else. HB is nice after trick-up, stinger is OK, and the combo causes nice block stun. But I can just starfall on pause after TU, ground tele, or stun with Bayo/Yam. You can even get a proper launcher on upper slash into AR x 1 without relying on high time. Not to mention you can rising sun with sword stun, trick-up, starfall, into AR x 1. Gives you better vertical spacing and more longer damage strings.

FE is great for being stylish. But it's just really weak compared to its siblings.

Dahbomb

I am profoundly saddened looking over my DMC3 Combat Mechanics FAQ that the Vergil section is completely empty. :(

I have literally forgotten like half of the stuff in it. I don't even know if I am qualified enough to fill it in. I would certainly like to finish it if I get the time.

Also for Vergil, Stinger and Rapid Slash plus 2nd hit of AR are the best for breaking the hyper armor when you need the fast attacks. Judgment Cut requires more set up.

The DT "juggle" hyper armor/rise or whatever you wanna call it mechanic has always been quite counter intuitive in DMC3. It just never really made much sense and most people still don't know about it. It does add more depth, control and strategy to the game... but they really should've added a visual indicator for when you are able to juggle/combo them properly. It was definitely a big factor in the balancing of the game as a lot of moves were balanced around this (ie Judgment Cut, Real Impact).

Nemesis_

ARGHAGRBYHAriakbrbij

Mundus II is so frustrating. I've got his attacks and methods down, but if I fuck up just a little bit it's INSTANT DEATH.

It feels so much like luck at this point - waiting for a dragon to spawn to refill my health.

It's just such a deflater to spend what feels like 30 minutes on a boss battle, get him down to red and then just die.

I swear with the little amount of damage he's taking I must be doing something wrong =(

ScOULaris

ARGHAGRBYHAriakbrbij

Mundus II is so frustrating. I've got his attacks and methods down, but if I fuck up just a little bit it's INSTANT DEATH.

It feels so much like luck at this point - waiting for a dragon to spawn to refill my health.

It's just such a deflater to spend what feels like 30 minutes on a boss battle, get him down to red and then just die.

I swear with the little amount of damage he's taking I must be doing something wrong =(

What difficulty are you playing on? All you have to do is turn on Devil Trigger and then spam fireballs for a quick and easy victory.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What difficulty are you playing on? All you have to do is turn on Devil Trigger and then spam fireballs for a quick and easy victory.

He's playing on DMD.

Not sure what the best strategy is, Nemesis. I'm going to be right there with you at some point. Have you tried looking up videos for some strats?

ScOULaris

Even quicker than Joch's video. Crazy. How do you do the charged meteor though?

That's not Meteor (Ifrit). It's a fireball that Dante will throw when pressing Square from a standing position while in Devil Trigger form during the final battle. I'm pretty sure holding Square is how you would charge it.

gunbo13

I have literally forgotten like half of the stuff in it. I don't even know if I am qualified enough to fill it in. I would certainly like to finish it if I get the time.
My brain is currently pretty on point with Vergil tech. I have a few tricks of my own as well.
Also for Vergil, Stinger and Rapid Slash plus 2nd hit of AR are the best for breaking the hyper armor when you need the fast attacks. Judgment Cut requires more set up.
Last hit of lunar phase is up there. I think it might even be better then stinger TBH.
The DT "juggle" hyper armor/rise or whatever you wanna call it mechanic has always been quite counter intuitive in DMC3.
It makes you go for safe ins like starfall, HB instead of utilizing launchers in DMD unless you really know what you are doing. It would be nice to digest the properties but it's certainly not an obvious system.

Carbonox

That's not Meteor (Ifrit). It's a fireball that Dante will throw when pressing Square from a standing position while in Devil Trigger form during the final battle. I'm pretty sure holding Square is how you would charge it.

Sorry, I know it's not Ifrit as you can't equip Ifrit in the battle but Meteor best describes it. :p

I tried holding down Square but Dante just kept throwing out regular fireballs. Maybe it's because I was pushing the stick forward for some unknown reason.

Gotta try again.

ScOULaris

Sorry, I know it's not Ifrit as you can't equip Ifrit in the battle but Meteor best describes it. :p

I tried holding down Square but Dante just kept throwing out regular fireballs. Maybe it's because I was pushing the stick forward for some unknown reason.

Gotta try again.
You might need to either hold back or no direction at all to charge it.

Nemesis_

Bless.

50IAl.gif

Gotta try again.

Have you purchased Meteor 2?

I'll watch these videos then go attempt it one more time. Then I might have to hit BED. =(

If you play on Easy the game will never let you play on any other difficulty, whereas if you beat Normal and Hard you get a full difficulty selection. For your own sake, beat the game on Normal; you'll get cut off from so much of the game's content if you go with Easy.

explodet

Finished up DMC1 last night, good times.

Is it me, or did they actually buff the Grenadegun damage? The first time I played this game way back when I did abuse the hell out of it, but even then I didn't think it did as much damage as it does now. Grenade/roll/grenade/roll/grenade/win. (except against those damn shadows, owie)

The annoying camera angle switches still bug the crap out of me, especially around those stairs corners and a couple of the Nightmare fights.

Anyway, on to DMC3, and then if my SO is curious enough, I'll give DMC2 a try, as I know of its terribleness only in tales around the campfire.

Top Bottom