• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Nemesis_

Doing no items? Keep at it, Mundus is a great fight that requires being on your toes constantly.

Now that I've actually conquered him without items, I feel oddly fulfilled.

I've played up until the weird tentacle water monster thing in DMC2. I'll post a few quick impressions when I get the chance, but in short - what the fuck? I don't remember DMC2 being *this* bad.

Nemesis_

Those are not controversial.

I don't think DMC1 is a better game than DMC3 at all. I think there's too many "easy ways" out of some of the harder moments of DMC1, whereas while DMC3 provides you with so many different tools you also have so many different obstacles.

I agree with DMC4 having better enemies though.

gunbo13

I don't think DMC1 is a better game than DMC3 at all. I think there's too many "easy ways" out of some of the harder moments of DMC1, whereas while DMC3 provides you with so many different tools you also have so many different obstacles.

I agree with DMC4 having better enemies though.
Controversial is controversial though. It should be obvious by the thread that I am a DMC3 guy. But I can totally see why DMC1 would be a favorite amongst many. DMC4 having better enemies then DMC3 though is just plain obvious. DMC4 vs. DMC1 enemies is more interesting.
DMC1 wins.

---

I'm prepping a Vergil tutorial but will be scripting this one. I was completely mind-fucked on GS before. Dahbomb, check the list and see if you spot anything missing.

• Controls - Melee priority for ESC ([] /\), Tele priority for ESC ([] X), SS comfort for buffering / release/ fire (R1)[easily switched]
  • Tips for weapon switching, mentally assign switching based on current weapon, practice practice pratice
  • HT -> AR x 1 ESC
  • Upper slash -> AR x 1 ESC
  • Lunar Phase -> AR x 1
  • Starfall LTG -> AR x 1 (air/ground)
  • Double launcher with HT / rising sun -> trick-up -> AR x 1
  • HB ESC on trick-ups
  • SS on HB ESC trick-ups, blister / storm
  • SS timing on starter to get proper juggle on launcher - keep Vergil in ground state
  • SS releases timed with melee inputs, HT + BS, RS + storm, etc...
  • Tele rush down / retreat
  • Sword juggling
  • Sword spamming with ESC
  • HT with ground state animation cancel -> buffer RT
  • Buffer RT on FE combo
  • Sword juggle -> buffer RT -> release -> TU -> AR x 1
  • Sword juggle -> fire on TU release -> Starfall on aerial
  • Dark Ki
  • RS -> judgement buffer
  • Judgement timing on chain

He has so much shit.

EDIT:
-Breaking lag with AT

Nemesis_

DMC2 Likes
  • Dante's design is superb
  • Lucia is a cool character but her accent is awful

DMC2 Dislikes
  • The movelist is incredibly simplified.
  • Dante moves and operates at what feels like 50% less speed. Everything is sluggish.
  • The ranking system is fucking retarded (Don't Worry! Come On! Bingo! Are You Ready?) wtf
  • Dante's running animation is WAY too fast and doesn't feel right.
  • I hate how Dante's hair "floats"
  • I hate the physics. Everything feels off. Why do guns throw things up into the air?
  • Guns in general are terribly overpowered, especially when upgraded
  • The wall run moves are admiteddly quite cool, but ultimately useless
  • Enemies are all bland and generic, with terrible and unmemorable names
  • There's no variety. Dante doesn't unlock moves, instead he can level up his weapons
  • Speaking of weapons - Dante only gets swords. What the fuck?

That's just my impressions after two hours or so.

ScOULaris

DMC2 Likes
  • Dante's design is superb
  • Lucia is a cool character but her accent is awful

DMC2 Dislikes
  • The movelist is incredibly simplified.
  • Dante moves and operates at what feels like 50% less speed. Everything is sluggish.
  • The ranking system is fucking retarded (Don't Worry! Come On! Bingo! Are You Ready?) wtf
  • Dante's running animation is WAY too fast and doesn't feel right.
  • I hate how Dante's hair "floats"
  • I hate the physics. Everything feels off. Why do guns throw things up into the air?
  • Guns in general are terribly overpowered, especially when upgraded
  • The wall run moves are admiteddly quite cool, but ultimately useless
  • Enemies are all bland and generic, with terrible and unmemorable names
  • There's no variety. Dante doesn't unlock moves, instead he can level up his weapons
  • Speaking of weapons - Dante only gets swords. What the fuck?

That's just my impressions after two hours or so.

Two hours in? Just stop there.

Carbonox

Mundus 2 is an absolute bastard of the highest order. I can get him down to half a health bar but the combination of attacks is doing my head in, mainly those machine gun orbs, especially ones that appear too far away which take me out in tandem with something else. I can take out most - if not all - of them via the Shotgun but one appears just a bit out of reach and before I get there, it starts shooting and deals cheap damage. Then before I can finish it off, Mundus does some other attack and I'm completely blind-sided.

I also need to get my timing down to a tee regarding hitting back the fire balls at him. Most of the time I can get it though.

So yeah. Tried like 20 times now. Still going. D:

Himself

I think DMC3 could have benefitted from a little snipping. I'm on Ch. 17 now and the game is becoming a bit of a chore. The setting never was that appealing in the first place and by now I'm tired of fighting the same enemies in the same scenarios. The pacing is just nowhere near as tight as DMC1. Maybe I'm just burnt out by playing all three games in the collection back to back. It's an excellent game, no doubt, but at this point I'm ready for it to be over.

I think DMC3 could have benefitted from a little snipping. I'm on Ch. 17 now and the game is becoming a bit of a chore. The setting never was that appealing in the first place and by now I'm tired of fighting the same enemies in the same scenarios. The pacing is just nowhere near as tight as DMC1. Maybe I'm just burnt out by playing all three games in the collection back to back. It's an excellent game, no doubt, but at this point I'm ready for it to be over.

Well at least the final fight in the game is really great. Too bad about the Mega Man style fight some identical bosses again part. The DMC3 bosses in general are pretty spectacular outside of a couple.

Nemesis_

Mundus 2 is an absolute bastard of the highest order. I can get him down to half a health bar but the combination of attacks is doing my head in, mainly those machine gun orbs, especially ones that appear too far away which take me out in tandem with something else. I can take out most - if not all - of them via the Shotgun but one appears just a bit out of reach and before I get there, it starts shooting and deals cheap damage. Then before I can finish it off, Mundus does some other attack and I'm completely blind-sided.

I also need to get my timing down to a tee regarding hitting back the fire balls at him. Most of the time I can get it though.

So yeah. Tried like 20 times now. Still going. D:

It took me so long. Sometimes it's just easier to not let him use his comets because it's just too risky. Sometimes you'll get lucky and he'll spawn those dragons quite regularly, pretty much leading to free health.

Easily the worst and most horrible experience I've ever had in a video game is when he gets down to red health. He just becomes so relentless, it becomes so overwhelming. So be ready for that. He also uses a "new" move which I could never seem to avoid so I had to be sure before I got him down to red health that I was well "healthed" up.

Also I think the turrets take off way too much damage for what they are >_>

Carbonox

It took me so long. Sometimes it's just easier to not let him use his comets because it's just too risky. Sometimes you'll get lucky and he'll spawn those dragons quite regularly, pretty much leading to free health.

Easily the worst and most horrible experience I've ever had in a video game is when he gets down to red health. He just becomes so relentless, it becomes so overwhelming. So be ready for that. He also uses a "new" move which I could never seem to avoid so I had to be sure before I got him down to red health that I was well "healthed" up.

Also I think the turrets take off way too much damage for what they are >_>

I can now get Mundus in to the red and that's when he spams the meteors coming out of his back PLUS whatever else. It's too overwhelming and I can barely breath. I've also died many times due to the green orb coming out of the dragon but it doesn't arrive because the timing of the fire ball from the dragon out-paces the green orb. My luck in this fight is horrendous.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Honestly, I think you're just burnt out. Especially if you played the entirety of DMC2. DMC3's pacing was pretty good. There may have been a mission or two that could have been scrapped, but the game throws combinations and new enemies at you in an even progression, I feel.

Carbonox

So DMC1 Dante will be a playable character (I believe) in the Namco/Capcom/SEGA crossover game Project x Zone for 3DS. The trolling from Capcom hurts my sides. :(

ScOULaris

A guy and a girl can't just be friends, brah?!

The Dante and Trish thing is just weird fanfic stuff.

Did you see the way she looked at him in DMC1? They might be all buddy-buddy on camera, but you know in your heart that they probably ride the high of demon-slaying all the way to the bedroom after a hard day's work. They get off on that shit.

Carbonox

Did you see the way she looked at him in DMC1? They might be all buddy-buddy on camera, but you know in your heart that they probably ride the high of demon-slaying all the way to the bedroom after a hard day's work. They get off on that shit.

Haven't you seen the new DmC trailer? Dante's a sexual deviant! :p

rvy

Banned
The reason I am doubtful is because
Mundus created Trish with the face of Dante's mother

250px-ADPullingDoubleBooty.jpg

Dahbomb

Yeah I never really had a problem with the pacing in DMC3. They were always throwing new stuff at you. Of course trying to finish it in a few sittings is a bit much especially the complex tower puzzle in mission 15. That was a doozy. Even until like mission 16 or so you are getting new stuff to play with.

I can definitely imagine being a bit too much after playing it back to back after the first 2 games. I don't think I have ever done this personally (played 3 DMC games back to back). Best I have done is DMC3 and DMC4.

And it's not controversial to like DMC1 over DMC3 or vice versa. Neither is it controversial to like DMC4 over DMC3 or DMC1. All games have their pros and cons that when you stack them up against each other you realize that it comes down to a matter of preference. Controversial is saying DMC2 is better than one of those games.

So yeah... dat DmC. No more hard lock on in our DMC games. Feels bad man.

zero_suit

Yeah I never really had a problem with the pacing in DMC3. They were always throwing new stuff at you. Of course trying to finish it in a few sittings is a bit much especially the complex tower puzzle in mission 15. That was a doozy. Even until like mission 16 or so you are getting new stuff to play with.

I can definitely imagine being a bit too much after playing it back to back after the first 2 games. I don't think I have ever done this personally (played 3 DMC games back to back). Best I have done is DMC3 and DMC4.

And it's not controversial to like DMC1 over DMC3 or vice versa. Neither is it controversial to like DMC4 over DMC3 or DMC1. All games have their pros and cons that when you stack them up against each other you realize that it comes down to a matter of preference. Controversial is saying DMC2 is better than one of those games.

So yeah... dat DmC. No more hard lock on in our DMC games. Feels bad man.

The Dante retread kills that line of thought.

Just focusing on Dante alone, I love the changes they did to him in terms of mechanics and style. Not to mention it still stands to be the only DMC in glorious HD 60 fps.

As for the retreads. It never bothered me that much. The game was clearly rushed and it was clearly designed around Nero. But Dante was so versatile and it was fun using him. Yes he was overpowered against bosses but unless you figured it how it would still seem like Dante wasn't that powerful.

Dante had some nice fights in the campaign. Loved using him against Blitz

I loved the cutscenes and the voice acting in DMC4 too. Again, for whatever reasons Capcom never fully elaborated on their original approach, but you see hints everywhere in interactions between Nero and Dante.

Carbonox

DMC4's cutscenes are glorious. When cutscenes make me smile, I know I'm on to a winner. Mostly from Dante's story though rather than Nero's more serious angle (though the Vergil DT awakening cutscene was awesome).

I know we have raved about Royal Guard for DMC3, but I loved it in DMC4. It feels more agile to use and it's hiliarous to use it on Blutz and Berial

I feel like DMC's RG requires way more precision and needs to be closer to enemies too

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think one of the weakest aspects of DMC4 from a game design angle is the main villain. He's just an old priest. I feel very little motivation in beating the crap out of an old dude, despite his deluded sins. It's such a step down from Mundus/Nelo Angel, and Vergil/Arkham.

And Credo is no Vergil. Maybe if they set him up with a cutscene or two as a skilled swordsman, but in reality it fell flat, even if the boss fight was good.

Basically, in the intro to every Vergil fight in DMC3, I felt chills run up my spine. When I used the Devil Buster on "His Holiness" and saw Nero rapid fire punch an old guy, I just kind of grimaced.

gunbo13

I think one of the weakest aspects of DMC4 from a game design angle is the main villain. He's just an old priest. I feel very little motivation in beating the crap out of an old dude, despite his deluded sins. It's such a step down from Mundus/Nelo Angel, and Vergil/Arkham.
Same with the bosses. Some have really cool designs like Berial and Echidna. But you don't really "care" about them or feel they are attached to the silly narrative. In DMC1, I especially felt that Mundas's demon army was on my shit. Especially with Griffon and Nelo Angelo. The same with DMC3 and the guarding of the tower. Cerb and A&R were obstructing you as blockades and it felt as such. Vergil is obviously awesome and you had more DMC1 style disruptions with Nev and Beo. In DMC4, I just felt that bosses were big enemies for me to "play" with; very game-like.

All very good points Guardian and Gunbo. Lol I remember DMC4 was supposed to harken back to DMC1 and look at the castle that we got. It was lame

And that old guy...yea not much a selling point there. Although I do get pleasure of him trying to recruit and contain Dante, and fails miserably in doing do

Ok then, if those are not controversial, hows this? Stage 5 is one of my favorite areas in dmc2, dumb boss enemies and all. I like the dark, cold, abandoned, silent city.

Dahbomb

For some people that's not an issue because DMC is meant to be replayed anyway numerous times. I mean taking in the example of DMC3, you basically played the same missions as Dante with Vergil just with a different combat engine which changed things up. It's similar with Dante in DMC4, so it's not a major issue after you have beaten the game and are trying to master the game.

And when you go around to mastering the game you realize how insane Dante is (Nero too has some nice nuances to it) in the combat. It's not humanly possible to reach the theoretical maximum of Dante but people will try and the skill difference becomes quite obvious when playing Dante in DMC4. To some people that is what makes DMC4 the best action game because it has the combat and it has the enemies (which DMC3 lacked) plus decent enough bosses and the best Bloody Palace version to test your might. I would also point out that those in favor of DMC4 usually prefer it on the PC version.

Long story short... it's stuff like this that makes some people like DMC4 over the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwFNnz29VFk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gu5LVzufiI&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALYaSVjyBU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOIc5m6PwNY

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
All very good points Guardian and Gunbo. Lol I remember DMC4 was supposed to harken back to DMC1 and look at the castle that we got. It was lame

And that old guy...yea not much a selling point there. Although I do get pleasure of him trying to recruit and contain Dante, and fails miserably in doing do

Yeah, the castle was kinda lame. A lot of the environments were pretty forgettable in DMC4, unfortunately.

I think what would have helped is if you actually got to fight his "shell," that suit of armor that he used as a puppet. And if that "shell" was a little more distinct from the rest of the Angelo Blancos.

I also agree with Gunbo that the bosses themselves just lacked personality. Almost every single boss in DMC3 felt like they had a vested interest in fighting you, whether it was to stop you from advancing (Cerberus), out of a sense of duty (Agni and Rudra), out of playful curiosity (Nevan), or out of hatred (Beowulf). And all were guarding something.

Echidna and Berial were just kind of... welp, I'm here just chilling by this portal. Come kill me.

Yeah, the castle was kinda lame. A lot of the environments were pretty forgettable in DMC4, unfortunately.

I think what would have helped is if you actually got to fight his "shell," that suit of armor that he used as a puppet. And if that "shell" was a little more distinct from the rest of the Angelo Blancos.

I also agree with Gunbo that the bosses themselves just lacked personality. Almost every single boss in DMC3 felt like they had a vested interest in fighting you, whether it was to stop you from advancing (Cerberus), out of a sense of duty (Agni and Rudra), out of playful curiosity (Nevan), or out of hatred (Beowulf). And all were guarding something.

Echidna and Berial were just kind of... welp, I'm here just chilling by this portal. Come kill me.

I used to like Berial a lot but after playing against Beowulf again...I'd take The Beowulf fight everyday

And lol @ the bosses. Yea they just chill there until they run into you. No background, no story. Berial and Enchinda look very pretty. Best boss fight is probably the first Dante fight for me...but it's too much a tutorial and too easily exploitable

Dahbomb

Credo Angelo is easily in the top 5 best bosses in all of DMC.

The fact that with Dante you never get to fight him in the main game is one of the biggest travesties in action gaming. Of course you can fight him in BP but that's like Floor 80 or something.

The fact that with Dante you never get to fight him in the main game is one of the biggest travesties in action gaming. Of course you can fight him in BP but that's like Floor 80 or something.

I preferred fighting Credo with Dante. Really makes you to put the styles into use

Carbonox

About fucking time. Mundus 2 in the battle I beat him in only used the meteor thing twice this time, so I thought fuck it, let's taker a risk and jump up to the rock near his head and I pummelled the fucker like no tomorrow and luckily didn't get hit by anything.

780psl.jpg

5BaVn.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Credo Angelo might be an amazing boss for replay/practice purposes, but I'm more speaking in terms of design, setup, and execution from a first exposure standpoint that ANYone can appreciate. I'd have to think about what my top 5 are.

I'm also going to assume that you're speaking about each boss, and not each boss fight (because from a game design and setup perspective, I would argue that each of the Vergil fights is better than Credo).

About fucking time. Mundus 2 in the battle I beat him in only used the meteor thing twice this time, so I thought fuck it, let's taker a risk and jump up to the rock near his head and I pummelled the fucker like no tomorrow and luckily didn't get hit by anything.

Congrats!

same hear haha,

didn,t expect to get it so quick as am renting it off the internet,

but yeah excited to play the lot, i only ever put alot of time into dmc1 when i was younger so is all gonna be pretty new for me, :D

Carbonox

Woah woah woah woah...

This is new to me (unless I saw it all those years ago) but did anyone else see this art in the DMC2 vault?

rKe5Bl.jpg

Would have loved for this to have been the boxart.

Heck, a poster or something, I dunno. I like it though.

Dahbomb

I loved the Credo Angelo design. Angel + demonic design, he has one wing and the other wing is his shield. He has a lot of cool abilities including a Summoned Sword style move set, his spear launch, parries and teleport/flight/dash. He's one of those bosses where you are at the edge of your seat all the time.

Of course story wise and build up wise, there is no tension to the boss fight whatsoever.

My top 5 is the same as Gunbo but my #6 is Beowulf. I would also swap Phantom and Griffon but the rest is solid. Vergil boss fight is so good that it was instrumental in DMC3's god tier status and it's my favorite ever. Every fight of Vergil in DMC3 was the story highlight of DMC3 before and after the fight so much that he became a fan favorite based on the godlyness of his boss fights.

If Despair Emodied and Bolverk were in other DMC games they would've been god tier bosses too based on design and story build up alone. Bolverk is one of the rivals to Sparda and fought him 2000 years ago similar to Beowulf/Berial. Despair Embodied is like a god tier demon rivaling the power of Mundus apparently.

Top Bottom