• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think it will ever be topped in terms of sheer awfulness. I think Konami and Hijinks should be jailed for such a crime against humanity.
Somebody should create a week long Game Jam in which developers are given access to the original source code for SH2 and 3 and asked to port both games to PS3. I'd be willing to bet that a weeks worth of work could potentially deliver superior results to what we have here (provided the developer is somewhat familiar with both systems from the beginning).

PoP is pretty bad too. Sounds are fucked, lighting is gone. Of course I've only played the first one. I haven't tried the other 2 though.
It's definitely one of the worst, no doubt, but it's still much better than SH Collection. The two UbiSoft collections were definitely the two worst examples of HD ports until Silent Hill came along, though.

ScOULaris

PoP is pretty bad too. Sounds are fucked, lighting is gone. Of course I've only played the first one. I haven't tried the other 2 though.

It simply can't be worse than the SH collection. Nothing can.

Changed voices, needlessly altered soundtrack, lip-syncing is totally ruined, glitches everywhere, changed textures (for the worse), horrible image quality, barely any fog, script alterations... the list goes on and on. It's the worst HD port ever.

Aske

Just read this in Dahbomb's guide (link in OP): a way to trigger DT exclusive moves and make them 'normal' moves that do less damage, but cost less meter. Mindblowing. Wish I'd discovered this myself!

Dahbomb said:
Re-DT Trick: Some moves of Devil Trigger burn a certain number of gauge upon activation until recovery. A move like Inferno can burn up to 3 bars. However, you don't need any bar to active the move and once you activate the move you can turn off Devil Trigger and have the move come out without any additional cost to meter because you aren't even in DT mode. Some DT gauge is expended upon activation and de-activation plus moves will do less damage than their DT'd up counter parts and since you aren't in DT you can be interrupted out of moves. HOWEVER... because you are performing these moves while not in DT getting hits with these DT exclusive moves while not in DT allows you to gain gauge off of them. A well placed, well timed Inferno using the re-DT trick can sustain itself. Quite a few moves of Ifrit benefit from this trick greatly so it's a worthy little mechanic to take advantage of in certain situations and to manage your meter more cost efficiently.

Dizzle24

Can't wait to get my hands on this today. It's been a while, but the Devil May Cry series in my favorite series of all time; OF ALL TIME! I'm a bit rusty for sure, but oh the nostalgia; DMC1 was my first game on PS2 in 2001, and I managed to beat all modes including DMD, same for DMC3. It's gonna be a gooooood weekend!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The port job seems fine to me. It's been a while since I played 3 though... maybe the original had slightly more bloom effects? eh...

He says two new taunts:

"Hey, do your job."

and

"Let's start the party!"

I do not ever recall Dante saying those taunts in DMC3 ps2. Thought I could be wrong.

@ 25 seconds and at @ 2:25 in

He says two new taunts:

"Hey, do your job."

and

"Let's start the party!"

I do not ever recall Dante saying those taunts in DMC3 ps2. Thought I could be wrong.

@ 25 seconds and at @ 2:25 in

Ah, those two sounds were actually in the original but never used. Dug them up before with PSound. Can't watch now, but what are the conditions for said taunts?

Ah, those two sounds were actually in the original but never used. Dug them up before with PSound. Can't watch now, but what are the conditions for said taunts?

Yeah. That's what I assumed as well. I highly doubt they flew Langdon in to pay him a couple thousand bucks to voice over a few new taunt lines.

Not really sure what the conditions are, I was never a "taunt" guy in the DMC games.

Got S's on the first two missions, its all coming back to me now...DMC3 is the pinnacle on action games to me. I spent a stupid amount of time with the PS2 version and I'm going to do it all over again in the PS3 version. I Wish Vergil started out unlocked.

Got S's on the first two missions, its all coming back to me now...DMC3 is the pinnacle on action games to me. I spent a stupid amount of time with the PS2 version and I'm going to do it all over again in the PS3 version. I Wish Vergil started out unlocked.

I'm actually kind of glad Vergil isn't unlocked from the start. It'll give me more incentive. Back when SE came out I didn't even touch that version of Dante. I went straight to Vergil.

Dahbomb

Just read this in Dahbomb's guide (link in OP): a way to trigger DT exclusive moves and make them 'normal' moves that do less damage, but cost less meter. Mindblowing. Wish I'd discovered this myself!
The DT move if timed right can give you BACK some DT gauge as well! This works exceptionally well with Inferno against a crowd of enemies. Of course if you miss it you wasted the trick.

I think one of my favorite discoveries in the game was with Nightmare Beta. There is a fight in DMD mode where you have to fight a Death Scythe in one of those spinny spike rooms. This fight was one of my most tormenting fight due to the close quarters, traps and the general nature of the Death Scythe to swoop you through walls or set up portals around you. Nightmare Beta ignores his projectile counter so I just stand at a stationary spot, charge it up and wait for him to show up.

ezekial45

Banned
DMC2 feels much worse than I remembered. Yeesh.

Before this I was saying it was an average game in it's own right, but now it's just barely decent. But still, this game has its place in the series because of the innovations it did do with the combat, and the bloody palace mode. And plus we got DMC3 because of this game, so there's that.

Dahbomb

I want to re-play DMC2 again just for the
double Despair Embodied secret mission fight.
That's something I never got to to do in the game and it's something I learned about the game just last year.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This collection just makes DMC2's shortcomings even more apparent. Hard to believe its from the same franchise as the other two.

Last week I said NG3 wasn't as good as DMC2. I feel it necessary to apologize for that remark.

ScOULaris

Trying to decide on whether or not I should buy this. Are all of DMC 3's outlandish cutscenes just old 4:3 videos or just the intro?

Requeim

Anyone else slightly tempted to go a step further and play DMC4 afterwards?

Why not? I think DMC4 is fucking excellent, almost as good as 3 and better than 1 or 2. I can see how some people like it less due to reused areas etc. but for my money it's still the best action game this generation. And yes, that includes Bayonetta And NG2/Sigma2. I have a hard time seeing how any fan of DMC3 could outright dislike 4.

Sorry for rambling, but DMC4 is genuinely the only game this gen i would consider criminally underrated, so yeah i'll probably replay it after going through these.

HYDE

Banned
Why not? I think DMC4 is fucking excellent, almost as good as 3 and better than 1 or 2. I can see how some people like it less due to reused areas etc. but for my money it's still the best action game this generation. And yes, that includes Bayonetta

Stop reading after this realizing it was a joke post.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yep. DMC4 was truly a successful sequel to DMC3.

Liamario

Banned
I'm pretty sure Shopto have sent me a copy without charging me...
I ordered it, and they didn't request any payment details, nor did they send me any details of how the game was paid for.
I have no card details saved on my account with them...

Requeim

Now it's (your comment) opinion...that I can deal with. But for you to say it is better equals wrong.

By what metric? Everything is subjective is it not? I thought it was implied that i stated my own opinion. I obviously can't speak for anyone else (and neither can you).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am awful at DMC1 now. Aside from that, I'm surprised how well the visuals hold up. I still love the style and music, I forgot how the music sounds damn near like a Resident Evil save theme in the starting area.

Dahbomb

There are 2 or 3 cutscenes in DMC3 that aren't running on the game's engine. The opening scene with Dante and Vergil fighting in the rain narrated by Lady and the scene where Temen-Ni-Gru rises out of the ground for the first time. There might be a few more towards the end but these are the 2 you are likely to figure out as being blatantly FMV.

It's a shame we are going to see the opening cutscene to DMC3 in 4:3, it's a landmark opening cutscene for a DMC game.

DMC1 has a few FMV scenes too. I think the Sparda opening scene and the final scene where Mallet Island blows up is FMV (not sure).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Man, getting used to Dante's jump in DMC1 is painful. I'm so bad at this game now, especially apparent after my DMC3 run through.

I think I'm going to order a mushroom and pepperoni pizza in honor of this release. :p

DMC4 was amazing. IMO, its as good as Bayonetta.

DMC4 was rife with poor game design choices, and laziness with the rehashed bosses/levels. Otherwise, the game really is a fantastic entry to the series.

Dahbomb

And the lack of a level skip on the Bloody Palace mode. DMC4 is easily the best looking character action game ever made though.
Why would you want level skip on BP? It's a survival mode, if you could skip to 101 floor that defeats the purpose.

There should be a training room that allows you to spawn any type of enemy/boss with certain factors under your control for training purposes. How the hell this is not in a DMC game yet is just beyond me.

Why would you want level skip on BP? It's a survival mode, if you could skip to 101 floor that defeats the purpose.

There should be a training room that allows you to spawn any type of enemy/boss with certain factors under your control for training purposes. How the hell this is not in a DMC game yet is just beyond me.

It'd be especially awesome if they'd add bosses/enemies from the older games to such a mode <3

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Agreed wholeheartedly. Even God of War II had this (not bosses, though).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah I always wondered why no action games have training modes.

Bayonetta's was close but it's pretty useless without something to practice against.

I think being able to spawn any type of enemy defeats the purpose of playing the game, but it'd be nice if they gave you different dummies of different sizes and weights that mirror different enemies in game.

and of course a whole bunch of options to play with like in most fighting games.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Even God of War II had this (not bosses, though).

Some bosses don't make sense for such a mode because they're incredibly scripted and/or otherwise tied to the levels in which you fight them; some bosses are even pretty much levels unto themselves.

I think a lot of Devil May Cry series bosses would work pretty damn well in a simple circular arena, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Because the difficulty ramp is really slow. I see it more as a really long boss attack mode than a survival mode. It already contains every boss so it would work just fine for training purposes.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Tempted to check out this collection since I never played the original games, but I'm not really sure if they're for me or not.

I played a bit of DMC4 and it wasn't bad, I enjoyed the cutscenes and the characters, game looked nice as well. The gameplay was alright, I noticed a lot of it (for me) was just pressing X to win though.

What draws you guys to these games? The fighting system/combos?

Why not? I think DMC4 is fucking excellent, almost as good as 3 and better than 1 or 2. I can see how some people like it less due to reused areas etc. but for my money it's still the best action game this generation. And yes, that includes Bayonetta And NG2/Sigma2. I have a hard time seeing how any fan of DMC3 could outright dislike 4.

Sorry for rambling, but DMC4 is genuinely the only game this gen i would consider criminally underrated, so yeah i'll probably replay it after going through these.

I enjoyed DMC4 quite a bit, just not as much as I did with 3. I had alot of fun using Nero. I just hope I'm not all DMC'd out by the time I'm done with 3.

Top Bottom