• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Dahbomb

What draws you guys to these games? The fighting system/combos?
It's the series that originated "stylin' on fools" as an actual game mechanic.

I was drawn to DMC1 by the promise of action gaming as I am a big fan of the genre (but back then 3D action genre wasn't even really relevant, 2D action games were much better), the gothic back drops, epic demon hunting and one bad ass mutha fucker as the protagonist. It was one of a kind back when the PS2 was new and the visuals were jaw dropping for it's time.

I stayed for the carry over stats feature, the challenging/rewarding game play, the depth of the combat and the fun/awesome characters. I also still enjoy watching crazy over the top cutscenes of Dante stylin' on enemies.

DMC4 was amazing. IMO, its as good as Bayonetta.

Agreed. The problem is.... Dare I say it... Outside of the combat the story mode was boring.

I never got bored of bloody palace but yeah....

And what drew me to the series is it was the natural evolution of beat em ups, which themselves are the natural evolution of fighting games. These have always been my Fav genres, with Arcade racers a close second.

Infact DMC3 was what got me back into console gaming and playing anything but bite sized games in general, after a 6 year absence. Likewise, Ninja gaiden sigma was what made me buy my first HD console.

SkylineRKR

DMC4 was very alright, one of the better Capcom games this gen. But it had a lot of parts where nothing happened, and I personally found the setting and characters to be incredibly boring. I always prefered the island from 1, and the characters like Vergil and Arkham from 3. The script was shit, that Gloria was dumb and that Credo dude was shallow as fuck.

Nero wasn't as fun as Dante was in 3, but his mechanics were a nice change to the series. Its just too bad that Capcom chickened out and included Dante gameplay in copy paste levels that played out backwards with fights against bosses that had the very same patterns still. It felt like it all was added at the last minute. His gameplay didn't really suit the pace of DMC4 imho, it was obviously built around Nero.

But 4 was really fair I suppose, first playthrough wasn't rock hard like the previous one. Did the other difficulties as well. The Blitz dudes were incredible on DMD.

So yeah, after crossing Silent Hill off the list I guess i am going to pick up DMC HD tomorrow.

Dahbomb

His gameplay didn't really suit the pace of DMC4 imho, it was obviously built around Nero.
This is probably my biggest annoyance with the actual game play in DMC4 aside from the whole retread issue and less options compared to DMC3. The enemies AND bosses were not balanced with Dante in mind. Dante has trouble fighting against shitty fodder enemies that Nero beats by just mashing buttons yet Dante destroys bosses in seconds.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I thought Dante was too overpowered to compensate for not having the grab mechanic. Super Dante was absolutely ridiculous.

DMC4's core combat mechanics and performance as an action game (great visuals, 60 fps) was top notch. In fact, it's performance was probably one of the best in all action games released this generation, considering that both the PS3 and 360 versions were solid.

DMC4 sometimes had overly large environments, a few segments of doing nothing and just running forward. And about two instances of where there were puzzles, where none should have been.

I thought Dante was too overpowered to compensate for not having the grab mechanic. Super Dante was absolutely ridiculous.

There is nothing that exists more that is more overpowered in video game history than Royal Guard DMC3. Holy shit was that thing fucking god - like.

I feel like it's really hard call any just-frame mechanics 'overpowered' because of the skill threshold involved (relevant to DMC3 RG and DMC4's most powerful Dante attacks)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
As someone that loves the Onimusha series to death, I just shook my head when I found out how to use Royal Guard. No reason Dante needed that shit. lmao.

As someone that loves the Onimusha series to death, I just shook my head when I found out how to use Royal Guard. No reason Dante needed that shit. lmao.

I'm glad Royal Guard got the much needed nerf in DMC4. Holy shit was Royal Guard DMC3 so fucking stupid when I got the hang of it.

Yeah, it has a high skill barrier, but I said, GOD DAMN.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am ashamed in myself for becoming so bad at DMC1, goddamn. I died multiple times to the first Death Scissor that locks you in...sheit.

Shadows can be pricks but I never had much of an issue with them. Still don't, atleast.

Never really played any of these games properly. I enjoyed the DMC demo back in 2001, but I couldn't buy it due to the dire PAL conversion. My brother had DMC2 but I barely touched that, which I hear might be for the best. Liked the DMC4 demo, but never got around to buying it.

The HD Collection should show up tomorrow or early next week...good things in store for me?

I'm glad Royal Guard got the much needed nerf in DMC4. Holy shit was Royal Guard DMC3 so fucking stupid when I got the hang of it.

Yeah. They also replaced Ultimate with something actually useful, too (even if it still wasn't interesting).

Never really played any of these games properly. I enjoyed te DMC demo back in 2001, but I couldn't buy it due to the dire PAL conversion. My brother had DMC2 but I barely touched that, which I hear might be for the best. Liked the DMC4 demo, but never got around to buying it.

The HD Collection should show up tomorrow or early next week...good things in store for me?

Yes. But make sure you have a solid foundation of basic control concepts in DMC1. check the "action" sub menu in the menu screen.

Also, don't play DMC1 on easy automatic. The game handicaps itself to dumbass levels. I.e, bosses are missing attacks. Certain enemy types don't even show up. Upon completion you don't get to unlock the much better designed hard and dmd modes. It's an endless cycle of easy bullshit.

Also, know that - every boss and situation has something for you take advantage of it. DMC1 relies much less on "uber skillz" than you'd think. It's very Zelda-ish in that regard. I.,e Air Raid makes Phantom your bitch, Ifrit works well on Nightmare, Shotgun can two hit kill most death scythes etc.

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏ @PG_kamiya Close
Cuz I was absent RT @vegasdonks Did DMC2 have a smaller budget than DMC1? Did it have less production time? why one is so good, the other so bad?

-----------

I lol'ed

Dahbomb

Something I never knew myself - but does the difficulty level you are on have any bearing on the secret missions?
This somewhat applies to all DMC games IIRC. It applies the most to DMC2
where higher difficulty secret missions are sometimes completely different encounters altogether.

Rule of thumb for DMC is that if you want to knock out all the secret missions, do it in Easy mode. You don't get special bonus point for completely secret missions on higher difficulties.

RG being powerful in DMC3 and weak in DMC4 made sense. In DMC3 you left a lot at the table when you picked RG style where as in DMC4 you have RG plus all your other tools at your disposal.

In addition, SS runs with RG are insanely hard. If you mistime one parry then you lose the SS rank because even 1 pixel of health lost means you don't get the S rank for health.

The only thing stupid in DMC3 was DTE or Flux. Most seasoned DMC3 players refuse to even use it for runs because it wasn't stylish. Here let me hold down a button and then release it after 10 seconds to kill all enemies around me... k thx bye. Thank god they took that out as well.

There is nothing that exists more that is more overpowered in video game history than Royal Guard DMC3.
No way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6sp6kmVTFA

DMD Bael run with Dante. He messes up the "Godfist" the first time around but gets it on the 2nd try. Appreciate the damage done as it's a double just frame move (one level of just frame to hit DT on the frame of the impact to initiate "Distortion" and the other is the Full Steam just frame release where he released on the frame when Straight is fully charged. We call this Dante's Godfist in DMC4).

There is nothing in the entire series that is on this level. Fully charged Just Release + DTE + Beowulf COMBINED does no where this damage.

Yes. But make sure you have a solid foundation of basic control concepts in DMC1. check the "action" sub menu in the menu screen.

Also, don't play DMC1 on easy automatic. The game handicaps itself to dumbass levels. I.e, bosses are missing attacks. Certain enemy types don't even show up. Upon completion you don't get to unlock the much better designed hard and dmd modes. It's an endless cycle of easy bullshit.

Also, know that - every boss and situation has something for you take advantage of it. DMC1 relies much less on "uber skillz" than you'd think. It's very Zelda-ish in that regard. I.,e Air Raid makes Phantom your bitch, Ifrit works well on Nightmare, Shotgun can two hit kill most death scythes etc.

Part of why I like the Nelo Angelo fights is precisely because he doesn't really have a 'hard counter' of that sort. He's not very hard once you figure out the basic pattern of alternating between offense and evasion, though (and he's easier than many bosses to build up your DT on, IMO).

Part of why I like the Nelo Angelo fights is precisely because he doesn't really have a 'hard counter' of that sort. He's not very hard once you figure out the basic pattern of alternating between offense and evasion, though (and he's easier than many bosses to build up your DT on, IMO).

Nelo Angelo follows the basic premise that most people just can't understand. Let him attack, and then counter.

I've seen people play action games and they try to God of War everything. I.e, out-attack the boss attacking you by mashing harder and faster.

Shit doesn't fly in DMC.

Nelo Angelo follows the basic premise that most people just can't understand. Let him attack, and then counter.

I've seen people play action games and they try to God of War everything. I.e, out-attack the boss attacking you by mashing harder and faster.

Shit doesn't fly in DMC.

True. (Though I still enjoy the God of War games :p)

Dahbomb

Nelo Angelo DOES have a hard counter... it's Ifrit. It's in the guide I wrote and Nelo Angelo's section was the most detailed one as he is my favorite boss fight in DMC1.

Basically most of Nelo Angelo's sword slashes can be deflected by Rolling Blaze leaving him in a stunned state which you can follow up with Killer Bee -> Combo of choice.

Nelo Angelo can be guard broken using Magma Drive, also exposing him. By doing a string of like PPK, Magma Drive just as he is about to regain composure you can put him into a very long damage string that he has to teleport out of to escape. Kick 13 auto combo also cuts through his defenses like hot knife through butter.

Meteor denies him the ability to use Summoned Swords as one shot of Meteor will drop him from his perch when he summons the swords. In addition, Rolling Blaze shatters the sword projectiles. Kick 13, Grenade and Inferno can take out the swords around him if he gets to that stance.

And Kick 13 allows you to maintain pressure even if Nelo Angelo parries you. Bottom line is that the toolset of Ifrit is designed to own Nelo Angelo you just have to know when to use what.

BHK3

Banned
So visually, controls and framerate wise, how is the collection?

Is it a absolute horrible job like RE4, kinda lazy, or acceptable?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RE4 HD wasn't terrible. SH HD was terrible, RE4 was acceptable.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why do people keep calling RE4 terrible? I don't get it.
It was a lazy HD port, they didn't implement anything and it also had some slight framerate-drops here and there... but it was nowhere near terrible.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Shit doesn't fly in DMC.

That shit doesn't fly in the hardest settings of god of war either ;P

Quick question, are saves copyable? I bought a copy but I am not near my PS3. I don't want to start playing it on my sister's PS3 if I can keep my progress.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The only bad part of RE4 was the Ada stuff being straight PS2 visuals blown up that assaulted my eyes.

Yknow, it's a shame, this HD collection removes the only thing I liked about DMC2, the ridiculous 2 discs it came on, even though both discs had the entire game. Can't do that trick with this one!

Curufinwe

It was a lazy HD port, they didn't implement anything and it also had some slight framerate-drops here and there... but it was nowhere near terrible.

No drops in the 40 hours I played of the 360 version, apart from when U3 dissolved. People calling it a horrible port are on the same level as the Game Trailers reviewer who insisted it was a PS2 port. That is to say, they're talking nonsense. If only the Silent Hill ports were as good as RE 4 HD.

No drops in the 40 hours I played of the 360 version, apart from when U3 dissolved. People calling it a horrible port are on the same level as the Game Trailers reviewer who insisted it was a PS2 port. That is to say, they're talking nonsense. If only the Silent Hill ports were as good as RE 4 HD.

All I know is that RE4 HD - the sound effects and voices sound like shit. Really muffled.

Curufinwe

That's what I heard about the PS3 version, and people also say the stereo positioning was off on both versions although I didn't personally notice that on the 360.

HYDE

Banned
By what metric? Everything is subjective is it not? I thought it was implied that i stated my own opinion. I obviously can't speak for anyone else (and neither can you).

Look I'd love to stay and argue...since I love DMC4 as much as the next guy. To say it's actually/factually better than Bayonetta though, is downright laughable.

Royalguard got nerfed way too hard in DMC4 for my liking. Even if I block everything, the boss will most likely be dead before the rage meter would even fill up.

Dahbomb

I don't know where else to ask this but...

Does anyone know if there is going to be new stuff at Captivate regarding DmC? Capcom/NT have been really hush about the game and I see no hype/tease leading up to Captivate either.

Dahbomb

Cool. I hope they show some real meat to the game, not just the same stuff we have been seeing over and over. More weapons, locales, enemies/bosses and some story details already. Show off that motion capture stuff they have been hyping up.

VALKYRAY

Banned

Royal Guard, it's like parry system in 3rd strike. not many people can master it, therefore RG is not broken.

Aske

Look I'd love to stay and argue...since I love DMC4 as much as the next guy. To say it's actually/factually better than Bayonetta though, is downright laughable.

Just for fun...

I can understand how someone would 'objectively' rank DMC4 above Bayonetta. The Dante/Nero divison of gameplay is muddled, but both characters have beautifully designed movesets and their combat genuinely revolutionized the genre. If one ranks the introduction of Nero's Red Queen EX system above Bayonetta's Dodge Offset, one can make a compelling case for DMC4's superiority. Both mechanics are pure genius, but DMC4 sweetens the deal with Nero's grab and counter mechanics, and Dante's on-the-fly style switching, which are spectacular additions to the genre even if they're a little more obvious.

Personally I think Bayonetta offers a more complete package due to far superior gameplay balance, enemy design, boss design and level design, and is therefore the better game according to almost every criteria; but I think of the two games DMC4 offers a greater evolution of combat mechanics and brings more innovation to the table.

DMC4's design missteps blind players to its design triumphs, many of which are quite profound. The game was let down by appalling pacing and sloppy level design, combined with mediocre/inconsistent enemy/boss design, but the combination of Nero and Dante's new combat mechanics impress me more than any other innovation brought to the action genre this generation.

PS3 or X360, which one runs better?

As far as I've seen, both run perfectly fine. It's down to controller preference.

Just for fun...

I can understand how someone would 'objectively' rank DMC4 above Bayonetta. The Dante/Nero divison of gameplay is muddled, but both characters have beautifully designed movesets and their combat genuinely revolutionized the genre.

How did it "revolutionize" the genre when this kind of game barely exists anymore? :(

Dahbomb

Truth in those statements Aske.

Although I would say that Bayonetta also added plenty to the genre. It's the first game I have played where dial a combo actually has worth thanks to Dodge Offset. There is more incentive in going for longer combos as the damage output is greater at the end but in most other action games you wouldn't make it far in the combo and had to dodge/block to stay alive which made most combos in a dial a combo game pretty vanilla. Not in Bayonetta as you stored your combos via Dodge Offset and continued it when you finished. This system would of course not work in a DMC type game where there are no dial a combos but could see usage in like a God of War game.

In addition Bayonetta added the Panther form which is exquisite in terms of transitioning from fast movement to combat. The system in Bayonetta also was balanced around BOTH soft and hard lock on where as games like NG and DMC had to make a choice on one of the systems. Most other things in Bayonetta are combination of action game mechanics from various other games from NG (UT like charges on the katana sword, soft lock on), God of War (QTEs), Viewtiful Joe (P/K system of combos), DMC (OTF weapon swap, hard lock on moves, weapon set ups) and it did them all justice I felt. Very difficult task to undertake.

Top Bottom