• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry Collection |OT| Over a Decade of Style

Playing DMC 3 on PS3...
During the cutscenes the sound and the video is out of sync (the dante and vergil battle intro cutscene on top of temin-ni-gru for example)...(the video lags behind the sound)....
Does anybody else have this kind of problem...
The framerate also stuttered a little bit when you enter the chamber to fight agni and rudra...

P.S: I'm using an old CRT television as my display... could that cause a problem...?

Requeim

Look I'd love to stay and argue...since I love DMC4 as much as the next guy. To say it's actually/factually better than Bayonetta though, is downright laughable.

And "factually" means.... what exactly?

I like Bayonetta a lot, but it both looks and runs worse than a 2008 game on my console of choice. I thought some of the bossfights were kind of bad, and i don't think QTEs and mashing (as you do in the execution moves) belong in this kind of game at all. I should clarify, i'm not coming at these games from purely a gameplay perspective. Story, graphics and sound design/music all matter a lot to me as well.

So, what's wrong with differing opinions again?

SkylineRKR

Between DMC4 and Bayonetta is easily Bayonetta for me, even the PS3 port. But DMC4 ran incredibly sweet, better than both versions of Bayonetta.

Between DMC3 and Bayonetta I dunno what I would choose, i'm leaning towards DMC3.

Bayonetta's fatal flaw were the end of level QTEs, and the on-rails levels that went on and on.

Having a hard time with the games on 360. Holding down the right bumper while trying to do other things isn't very... delightful.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I must be the only person that didn't mind Bayonetta's quick time events. >.>

Nero and a couple bosses were about the only things I cared for in DMC4. Whomever came up with the ex system was genius, and I hope to see it in another game.

Bayonetta easily trumps DMC4, to me, because it felt better designed throughout it. I didn't like fighting most of the enemies until DMD mode (DMC1 still reigns king in that regard). I hated those Blitz creatures and they weren't nearly as fun as fighting Shadows. The puppets were still a special case of stupid (which I really don't get...). Dante should not have been in the game...at all. The backtracking was pointless and bad enough to annoy someone that enjoys Super Metroid immensely. To top it off, Bayonetta's extras destroy the fuck out of DMC4's. :|

DMC4 did bring a lot to the table, there is no denying it tho.

Maybe I'm greedy, but I wish both series would look at Ninja Gaiden and ape it's mission mode.

dmc4 dante feel a ripoff of dmc3 dante plus some minor addenda..
dmc4 nero feels.. stupid.. subpar mechanics/attack scheme/everything that has its only saving grace in the ex system that it's really nice..
dmc4 as a whole experience is sub-par thougm for having to do a stage twice (dante and nero) doesn't equal to doing 2 stage, but to doing 1 stage and 1 "omg kick me in the ballz nau rather then making me do this again and again and again"..
at least for me :p

but!
i'll enjoy dmc 1-3... a lot less dmc2, but sacrifices must be made..

Kayo-kun

Playing DMC 3 on PS3...
During the cutscenes the sound and the video is out of sync (the dante and vergil battle intro cutscene on top of temin-ni-gru for example)...(the video lags behind the sound)....
The framerate also stuttered a little bit when you enter the chamber to fight agni and rudra...

P.S: I'm using an old CRT television as my display... could that cause a problem...?

Anyone else experienced these issues? :O

gunbo13

How to do a combo video youtube video should be up shortly barring any technical issues. It is a recorded walk-through of me doing some mission 16 lab work and advanced DMC3:SE tech.

Having a hard time with the games on 360. Holding down the right bumper while trying to do other things isn't very... delightful.

Once you actually stop thinking about it - the problem goes away. That's what I noticed for myself.

Also, remember, you don't need to press RB with the distal region of your finger. You can actually depress it comfortably with the proximal part of your pointer finger, the end closer to you palm.

Once I realized that, the discomfort was gone.

Varshes

Anyone in Canada that's been waiting for an early release like in the US, it's now available for sale at EB/GS today.

XenoRaven

It's been a long time since I played DMC1. This game just makes me happy when I play it. I've never played DMC3, so I'm looking forward to that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I breathe a sigh of relief when playing this after reading the Silent Hill HD Collection thread. So many things could have gone wrong.

Carbonox

Speaking of DmC, Zavvi just added it to their Coming Soon page (surprisingly never on there before):

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/dmc-devil-may-cry/10600557.html

Release Date: 10 August 2012

Obviously the release date could well be a placeholder but it's a very odd release date to choose.

I'm not saying it's true but we do know that sites tend to be a bit too trigger happy in the lead up to an event. Amazon is famous for this by adding entries/release dates before they're announced at the relevant event.

With Captivate soon, I seriously believe we'll get some proper information on the game and when I say proper, I mean release date too.

Anyway, that's enough shitting up of this thread. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I breathe a sigh of relief when playing this after reading the Silent Hill HD Collection thread. So many things could have gone wrong.

It's such a shame to hear about that, I really wanted to play SH2/3...cannot believe they messed it up so bad.

Just got passed the Ifrit mission in DMC1. I'm getting back into the swing of things, used to the controls and everything. Having the grenade launcher again helps a lot.

Atolm

Speaking of DmC, Zavvi just added it to their Coming Soon page (surprisingly never on there before):

Obviously the release date could well be a placeholder but it's a very odd release date to choose.

I'm not saying it's true but we do know that sites tend to be a bit too trigger happy in the lead up to an event. Amazon is famous for this by adding entries/release dates before they're announced at the relevant event.

With Captivate soon, I seriously believe we'll get some proper information on the game and when I say proper, I mean release date too.

I would not be surprised at all if it really comes out in the summer, to avoid the already over-crowded holiday season.

Dahbomb

It's interesting to note that in that advertisement they are billing this game as a "surreal and alternate universe to DMC".

This is for the best, too many people I know still think this is a remake.

The release date is super early which has me worried for the game. But we will see at Captivate if the release date is real and how far they have come with the game. It's been a while since we saw anything substantial from the game.

It's interesting to note that in that advertisement they are billing this game as a "surreal and alternate universe to DMC".

The release date is super early which has me worried for the game. But we will see at Captivate if the release date is real and how far they have come with the game. It's been a while since we saw anything substantial from the game.

sorry to shit up the thread further but did pokey ever get back to you regarding visiting NT's offices?

Seems a bit of bizarre offer that nobody heard about again.

Carbonox

Definitely for the best. Leaves the real series open for further development in the future, as I believe Capcom actually said that there could still be a Devil May Cry 5.

Definitely for the best. Leaves the real series open for further development in the future, as I believe Capcom actually said that there could still be a Devil May Cry 5.

Well Dragon's Dogma is almost complete and that was the majority of the DMC4 team I believe? I think DMC5 depends on whether Capcom thinks DmC will be a success or not. If DmC is a huge success it will probably remain in NT's hands for the foreseeable future. If it does way worse than DMC4 than DMC5 will most likely be made (unless they feel the "brand is dead").

Carbonox

Leo tan said that.

Dont beleive a word that man says.

Bigger bullshitter/troll than Ono, Sven and Nitsuma combined.

Ah Leo. I think the only enjoyment I ever got out of our numerous meetings was a dance-off in a Monaco night club. :lol

Still, I hope for it to be something that Capcom would consider. The DmC IP is not and will never be an acceptable future for the brand.

Just got to the Chapter 17 boss in DMC 1 and holy fuck did I hit a wall. I really only played DMC 4 in my gaming life however I was pretty good combo wise and all that jazz but the boss on Chapter 17 is just straight up raping me. I almost had him last time, but is it supposed to ramp up so late in the game or am I just sucking?

Dahbomb

sorry to shit up the thread further but did pokey ever get back to you regarding visiting NT's offices?

Seems a bit of bizarre offer that nobody heard about again.
They aren't allowed to say but that thing actually went down.

In the latest PSM3 interview Tameem talked about bringing in some DMC vets but all he said was that they said "the controls were responsive". Wasn't much but hey at least they did something.

G-Fex

Well I got it in the mail

I'm going to stream it live, anyone want to help me out decide whether to start with 1 or 2?

Carbonox

In the latest PSM3 interview Tameem talked about bringing in some DMC vets but all he said was that they said "the controls were responsive". Wasn't much but hey at least they did something.

Oh snap, it wasn't a scam? :lol

Good on Ninja Theory I guess. Still, I would love to know the juicy deets.

Well I got it in the mail

I'm going to stream it live, anyone want to help me out decide whether to start with 1 or 2?

Do the first game. Go in numerical order!

Then what was the point?

The controls are responsive? Wow. So are the controls in NG3.

Dahbomb

Controls being responsive in a NT game that runs 30FPS on UE3 is a very good start. That's better than most people expected from the game.

The point of the whole bring DMC vets to test was to see if they are on the right track with the game control/game play wise. Of course we will never really know what actually happened but it was a good effort on NT's part. Maybe they worked out some kinks from it who knows.

You have to remember that this is the game where they said that it will FEEL like a 60FPS so they have to live up on that end.

Controls being responsive in a NT game that runs 30FPS on UE3 is a very good start. That's better than most people expected from the game.

The point of the whole bring DMC vets to test was to see if they are on the right track with the game control/game play wise. Of course we will never really know what actually happened but it was a good effort on NT's part. Maybe they worked out some kinks from it who knows.

You have to remember that this is the game where they said that it will FEEL like a 60FPS so they have to live up on that end.

True. After the disaster of Team Ninja dogs effort, I really really really want to be wrong about DmC. With kamiyas project out the picture for now and maybe indefinitely, the action genre is really dead if this flops.

MGS:R looks like it will be amazing, but one game alone cannot carry the genre on its back, especially one that is partly catering to a fanbase that will in all honesty hate it.

I envision a castlevania: LOS situation with that title.

Raonak

Banned
Hey, since we're having some dmc4/bayo talk-

what was the stragety for defeating the fired up enemeis in the hardest mode of bayo? frustrated me to all hell and made me borderline hate it.
theres no witch time, so i just equiped the bombs power and spammed dodging, there had to be a better way right?
--

I quite enjoyed the combat of DMC4. Dante, although a copy/paste was still awesome, nero was great due to the devil bringer and the EX mechanic (sooo good). but he totally lacked variety. I found myself just repeating combos. unlike dante who had so much variety it never got old.

I don't care about retcons. There needs to be a DMC game with dante, vergil and nero. or possibly- fuse nero and vergil. Since both nero and vergil have limited options compared to dante. (who has 3 weapons *3 guns *5 styles = 45 combinations!!!!)

nero already has yamoto. just give him a weapon switch button or something. and instead of EX reving you'd get summoned swords if you press with yamoto.

The Jer

Playing DMC 3 on PS3...

This used to happen to me when I played certain PS2 games on a really, really old CRT. Don't know why. Worked fine on newer televisions.... I haven't used the older television in years.

Haven't played this HD collection at all, yet. So, I can't comment any further...

ezekial45

Banned

I was kinda hoping they'd release it in early 2013, but if that's the date then so be it. Just as long as they've got the game where it needs to be. The August/September release window is pretty solid. Games like Deus Ex and Dead Rising did great in those spots, so they should be ok.

Yeah, I agree. Ultimately, what i'd like to see is them branching out the franchise. Obviously, they recognize that the original series still has a strong, solid following; but if this new game were to be successful, then it can enable them to keep both going. I'm sure they've been trying to diversify the series for a long time, and this would be the sure fire way of doing it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...truth-behind-devil-may-crys-unlikely-saviour/

Here is the interview with Antoniades. They talk about the shortcomings of their previous games, and how they're trying get it to where it needs to be.

True. After the disaster of Team Ninja dogs effort, I really really really want to be wrong about DmC. With kamiyas project out the picture for now and maybe indefinitely, the action genre is really dead if this flops.

It feels nice to actually hear you say this.

Carbonox

Hey, since we're having some dmc4/bayo talk-

what was the stragety for defeating the fired up enemeis in the hardest mode of bayo? frustrated me to all hell and made me borderline hate it.
theres no witch time, so i just equiped the bombs power and spammed dodging, there had to be a better way right?
--

I quite enjoyed the combat of DMC4. Dante, although a copy/paste was still awesome, nero was great due to the devil bringer and the EX mechanic (sooo good). but he totally lacked variety. I found myself just repeating combos. unlike dante who had so much variety it never got old.

I don't care about retcons. There needs to be a DMC game with dante, vergil and nero. or possibly- fuse nero and vergil. Since both nero and vergil have limited options compared to dante. (who has 3 weapons *3 guns *5 styles = 45 combinations!!!!)

nero already has yamoto. just give him a weapon switch button or something. and instead of EX reving you'd get summoned swords if you press with yamoto.

Just use the game-breaking Kilgore technique if you're having too much trouble.

DMC4 is a fantastic game. Though getting high scores on the leaderboards wasn't difficult if you spam Lucifer's R1+forward+Triangle attack while in DT. Shit's ridiculously overpowered.

It feels nice to actually hear you say this.

Don't get too happy. Your winning practically by default. If DmC fails the fans and revegance is a sales flop, The stylish action genre is dead. I don't see another god of war happening till next gen and it will never come close to DMC in depth. It's the mortal Kombat to DMCs street fighter.

Top Bottom