• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
So I found some time to play this a bit over the weekend, loving it so far. But I had a question.

Does anyone know what the colour of the damage means? Sometimes its red, sometimes yellow surrounded in red, etc. I checked the (Digital) manual but didn't find any information.

So I found some time to play this a bit over the weekend, loving it so far. But I had a question.

Does anyone know what the colour of the damage means? Sometimes its red, sometimes yellow surrounded in red, etc. I checked the (Digital) manual but didn't find any information.

IIRC it's basically a measure of how much HP the enemy has left. White is a lot, yellow is like 30% and red is critical.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
The back of the box says there are over 30 demons exclusive to soul hackers.

GeekyDad

In a game like Etrian Odyssey, dungeons are the sole purpose of the game. The thin threads of the story tie them together - barely - but it's really about exploring dungeons. Soul Hackers is something else, much like Persona 4. Here, the story is paramount, and the maps traversed exist to keep players interested in the story.

From the first review I've read so far. I can dig it.

Soriku

From the first review I've read so far. I can dig it.

This is a good review. On Cubed3 a 7/10 is "good" whereas on other sites that'd probably be average. Goes over the flaws well (mainly on the technical level) but says the story, dungeons, battle system, overall design, etc. is good.

Pupsicles

Where are you in the Bay? Mine still hasn't shipped, but the estimated delivery date is still tomorrow.

When was going to UC Berkeley I'd usually get packages a day early. In Petaluma I have no such luck.

San Jose, just got a tracking # shipping from Nevada, Im positive it will arrive tomorrow! I got EOIV and P4G in less than 2 days with prime both from Fernely, NV.

I'l admit...I'm only buying this to support Atlus and JRPGs getting localized in general....

but I did the same with EOIV and it turned out awesome.

Hopefully the story is awesome as advertised...I couldn't get through Persona 2 or Strange Journey (although persona had a lot to do with my psp dying).

BlackJace

Now to play the waiting game.

131Bq.gif

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hopefully the story is awesome as advertised...I couldn't get through Persona 2 or Strange Journey (although persona had a lot to do with my psp dying).
Whaaa
The story in SJ is awesome though. How much time did you spend with it?

I got momentarily irritated/worried for nothing, tracking updated and it's in Salt Lake! All the comments on the story have really got me excited to see what the fuss is.

suberzat

im still on the fence about this game.....think im going to pull out my demon summoner for ps2 play for 2 hours then make my decision

Teknoman

The only SMT world games i've ever been disappointed with were the Devil survivor games (they arent bad...just kinda boring) and Persona 1...so i'm ready to dive in here.

EDIT: Bah putting everything else on hold...even though I never finished Strange Journey, and i'm currently still messing around in Fire Emblem hard classic, and EOIV.

Hmm, I'm finding something's obtuse about the game, for example: what stat boosts I get from equipment, saving in dungeons, recovering team members, negotiating. Game really shows its age.

cj_iwakura

im still on the fence about this game.....think im going to pull out my demon summoner for ps2 play for 2 hours then make my decision

Funny you should mention, replaying Raidou 2 reminded me of that certain something the Devil Summoner games have, namely how integral demons are to the story(though I think this is less true for SH since it's mostly human antagonists, which is even better).

I suppose I should cook up a review banner...

This is a good review. On Cubed3 a 7/10 is "good" whereas on other sites that'd probably be average. Goes over the flaws well (mainly on the technical level) but says the story, dungeons, battle system, overall design, etc. is good.

Yeah, this review is definitely worth reading if anyone's on the fence. It's refreshing to see a review where a 7/10 isn't an automatic "D".

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The only SMT world games i've ever been disappointed with were the Devil survivor games (they arent bad...just kinda boring) and Persona 1...so i'm ready to dive in here.

EDIT: Bah putting everything else on hold...even though I never finished Strange Journey, and i'm currently still messing around in Fire Emblem hard classic, and EOIV.

Devil Survivor 1 & 2 are excellent mang.

Coppanuva

Not sure I'll be picking it up tomorrow... Had it ordered at the GameStop by the mall by where the Boston Marathon incident happened at... Any idea What they do if you don't pick your order up in a day?

Soriku

The story just didnt grab me, or maybe it was the character design? I dunno...

To be honest, the only i've played was 2.

Story in DS2 isn't as good as DS1. For a SMT game the story was different, yet at the same time typical. DS1 has a good Megaten story.

Oh, I see.

Edit: I've never actually been to one of these midnight launch things. How long does it generally take to pick something up?

Depends on how many people purchased one at that store. I'm sure big launches (CoD) might take a while, but Final Fantasy XIII took me only ten minutes.

"I gave some yen to a monster to try to bribe it to join and it says "What a cheapass" and ran away, which I thought could have been written better."

Top Bottom