• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Soriku

I wonder if he's played other SMT games. Soul Hackers is the only SMT game review on Cubed3 I could find.

Edit: Well he played P4.

cj_iwakura

I wonder if he's played other SMT games. Soul Hackers is the only SMT game review on Cubed3 I could find.

I'm guessing he's familiar with them at very least. I'm confused why he's hating on the script of all things.

Also the whole embargo breaking thing is a little concerning.

Deeku

Copy should arrive today!

Probably won't start it yet. Still busy slowly making my way through DQ7 and kinda wana get through most of it before SMT4 hits soonish.

Sinople

Playing it now (Jp version) and I've cleared the first 3 dungeons.
It's pretty good, but I won't comment much as it's just the beginning. No real challenge for now but I guess that will change soon.

There's one thing I'm wondering, though, concerning SMT in general.
I must confess that while I've played many games in the series, I always feel overwhelmed and confused by the number of demons/races and the fusion system. I recruit and fuse without planing anything at all for the most part and generally end up with a bunch of worthless demons dealing far less damage than the MC and dying in 2 or 3 hits =(
So, how do you choose which demons you're going to use?
Do you go with a theme (light-chaos, heavy-hitters, angels, dragons, etc.)? Do you choose primarily based on parameters and skills, planing everything in order to create the perfect party? Is there any particular skill/demon you always make sure to have? Do you follow recommendations/FAQs for each game?

You are all cheapasses, cheapass-kun.
tumblr_m8tivlwWZL1r1x88qo1_1280.png

That could be a fun filter to toss onto everyone when the next April Fool's rolls around.

You could make it anytime someone uses an honorific in Persona Community, it goes away lol

cj_iwakura

Playing it now (Jp version) and I've cleared the first 3 dungeons.
It's pretty good, but I won't comment much as it's just the beginning. No real challenge for now but I guess that will change soon.

I must confess that while I've played many games in the series, I always feel overwhelmed and confused by the number of demons/races and the fusion system. I recruit and fuse without planing anything at all for the most part and generally end up with a bunch of worthless demons dealing far less damage than the MC and dying in 2 or 3 hits =(
Do you go with a theme (light-chaos, heavy-hitters, angels, dragons, etc.)? Do you choose primarily based on parameters and skills, planing everything in order to create the perfect party? Is there any particular skill/demon you always make sure to have? Do you follow recommendations/FAQs for each game?

It really depends on the game. In Persona and core SMT, you always want to have all the elemental bases covered, since the games rely on extra turns(and damage) from exploiting weaknesses.

Soul Hackers is more about physical and magic, elements aren't as crucial.

What is broken as hell are buffs/debuffs. So I never went anywhere without at least a Tarukaja/nda & Rakukaja/nda demon.

GeekyDad

Edit: Well he played P4.

But experience with the series, or even the genre for that matter, doesn't mean a reviewer can't offer something of value to readers. Oftentimes it's the newcomers that offer the most fresh take on a game, especially when it's part of a venerated series.

That being said, I love the quips you get from demons in these games. Not everyone's into that I guess. Overall, though, the review seemed very fair and comprehensive.

As an aside, I remember reading some scathing reviews from Mark Bozon years ago that only piqued my interest more about those games. It wasn't because he was ragging on the games and I wanted to prove to myself he was wrong; it was the details about those games that just appealed to me. One man's trash and all that...

Eirikr

One easy thing to remember about fusion is to try and only use Light or Neutral affinity demons (which is separate from Law-Neutral-Chaos alignment). They generally have better skills and are more useful. Demons of the Deity, Megami, Kishin, Fury, Dragon, Fairy, Genma, etc. are almost always useful, and they can, for the most part, be only made with Light and Neutral ingredients. There are exceptions, but it's easier just to remember this. Dark-affinity races like Wilders and Raptors will just lead you around in unfuseable circles. Playing the Japanese version of Soul Hackers, 80% of my compendium near the end was either Light or Neutral, so I had a lot of Dark fusion to do to complete it.

Keep that in mind and keep your demons to your level and you should do fine.

It really depends on the game. In Persona and core SMT, you always want to have all the elemental bases covered, since the games rely on extra turns(and damage) from exploiting weaknesses.

What is broken as hell are buffs/debuffs. So I never went anywhere without at least a Tarukaja/nda & Rakukaja/nda demon.

I bought a demon with loads of buff spells but he won't obey me. What do I do?

Sinople

One easy thing to remember about fusion is to try and only use Light or Neutral affinity demons (which is separate from Law-Neutral-Chaos alignment). They generally have better skills and are more useful. Demons of the Deity, Megami, Kishin, Fury, Dragon, Fairy, Genma, etc. are almost always useful, and they can, for the most part, be only made with Light and Neutral ingredients. There are exceptions, but it's easier just to remember this. Dark-affinity races like Wilders and Raptors will just lead you around in unfuseable circles. Playing the Japanese version of Soul Hackers, 80% of my compendium near the end was either Light or Neutral, so I had a lot of Dark fusion to do to complete it.

Keep that in mind and keep your demons to your level and you should do fine.

Thanks for the hints. I'll try and do that.
If possible, I'll give the important buff spells to my zouma so that I don't lose them with fusions.

I bought a demon with loads of buff spells but he won't obey me. What do I do?

You should first raise his trust meter by choosing the GO command or giving orders that match his personality.
EDIT: or give him liquor, yeah, I forgot that.

Nags

Banned
Going to pick up a copy now, local games store has it a day early! But I still have a copy pre-ordered and paid off at gamestop and one coming from amazon hmm.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Finally ran into my first jack frost. This is my favourite moment in all SMT game. Now to make him join me.

Varna

Sigh. I gotta stop making Amazon my place for pre-orders. Still hasn't shipped. This has happened to me before. I guess I will just try a few shops and just return the game later once my amazon copy arrives.

Soriku

But experience with the series, or even the genre for that matter, doesn't mean a reviewer can't offer something of value to readers. Oftentimes it's the newcomers that offer the most fresh take on a game, especially when it's part of a venerated series.

I was just wondering if he's played some of the other ones so he could compare the translation in SH to the others (particularly the ones with demon negotiation as he didn't like the translation for one of the demons' lines). Like, the translation could be similar to the other SMTs, and nobody would have a problem, but he does for whatever reason (personal quirk?).

I think outside of that kinda weird complaint, his actual review is good.

cj_iwakura

Well that's interesting. Auto-scrolling dialogue, it's like I'm playing a VN.
(It can be turned off, but I didn't think the option was for that.)

VA is substantial for sure.

I laughed at the name they delete from the system in the very first scene. Watch carefully.
Kazuma Kaneko

vall03

Just checked the eShop and the game is still not up. Thanks a lot Nintendo! Now I have to wait another 12 hours to get it! *sigh*

cj_iwakura

The VA for main's father, oh wow.
Ragna. No doubt about it, that's Patrick Seitz. :D

The translation is fantastic so far, NPC dialogue has just as much flavor as I hoped.

And as for honorifics?
Nope!

Yes for shopkeep VA. Artist = best

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think I'll be getting my copy today.

Edit: Yeah, looks like I'll be getting it today.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Heh, searched the eshop a moment ago just in case and the Price is still TBD!

Hope its up tomorrow or else I might go gamestop hunting.

Top Bottom