• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Moonlight

Banned
Got my preorder paid off, gonna pick it up in person tomorrow.

One part of me can't help but feel intimidated by the game (as I usually am with older SMTs), but there's so much I love about the concept and world that I really can't help but be drawn in.

cj_iwakura

Just finished the first Vision Quest.

Wow, combat is LIGHTNING quick now, almost too fast.

Story stuff,

Boy does it suck to be Urabe. :( They nailed Finnegan though.

I'm surprised there's so much VA, even NPCs in the dungeons. Haven't been this ecstatic at playing a localized game since Sakura Wars V.

Busaiku

Do the random NPCs on the streets have voices in the Japanese version?
Anyways, found the 1st save point int he Vision Quest, and that'll be it for now.

It's really hard navigating stuff like the park.

Artemisia

Banned
omgggggg this needs to come in tomorrow
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

Sinople

Yes, everything is voiced in the Jp version, even explanations in shops. I'm not sure that was needed.
If it's the same with SMT4, I would have preferred they spend the money on doing actual dynamic cut-scene in 3D instead of talking stills.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Damn...Anyone in Singapore awaiting this game?

Just got an email from the shop i pre-ordered from, saying that the local authorities (MDA) are still not allowing the release of this game. So stupid... I hope no silly bans

The last time it took them like more than a week to approve Demon' Souls. Lots of jokes about how the testers kept dying and are unable to finish the game.

EDIT: It is kind of weird because the chat support on the store's side says they're letting those who pre-ordered know whether they can get the game first. Probably to those who paid in full already (I didn/t). Hope they ahve enought stock but they probably don't. Oh well.

Nags

Banned
Great commentary and relevant to the times in this game coming from this idea a fully integrated network in society. Kind of like always-online...

What time is this due out on the e-shop? I got a notification on my 3ds that items in my wish list are now available, but when I pull up the wish list and open Soul Hacker's store page it just says "coming soon"

vall03

What time is this due out on the e-shop? I got a notification on my 3ds that items in my wish list are now available, but when I pull up the wish list and open Soul Hacker's store page it just says "coming soon"

Since its the same for every 3rd party releases, it wont be up for another 9 hours.

GeekyDad

Was just watching an unboxing on the Youtubes, and he mentioned StreetPass. Anyone know what that's all about for this game?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The game wasn't supposed to get to me until tomorrow, but it looks like it will be delivered today!

Was just watching an unboxing on the Youtubes, and he mentioned StreetPass. Anyone know what that's all about for this game?

From the http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/shin_megami_tensei_devil_summoner_soul_hacker review;

Soul Hackers takes advantage of its handheld home by incorporating StreetPass functionality, with Nemechi Mode and its adorable teal namesake. StreetPassing other players will earn you D-Souls, a special currency that lets you purchase exclusive demons from Nemechi. If you StreetPass enough, Nemechi can evolve and change forms, opening up even more demons for hire. As a nice touch — especially considering not everyone will be in a position to pass fellow summoners with any frequency — you can also exchange your Play Coins for D-Souls and Nemechi evolutions. This is one of the coolest uses we've seen for Play Coins yet; since the 3DS already feels a bit like a real-world GUMP, carrying it around with you to help summon more powerful demons seems like a natural extension.

vall03

From the Nintendolife (http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/shin_megami_tensei_devil_summoner_soul_hacker) review; helpful new dual-screen layout, Soul Hackers takes advantage of its handheld home by incorporating StreetPass functionality, with Nemechi Mode and its adorable teal namesake. StreetPassing other players will earn you D-Souls, a special currency that lets you purchase exclusive demons from Nemechi. If you StreetPass enough, Nemechi can evolve and change forms, opening up even more demons for hire. As a nice touch — especially considering not everyone will be in a position to pass fellow summoners with any frequency — you can also exchange your Play Coins for D-Souls and Nemechi evolutions. This is one of the coolest uses we've seen for Play Coins yet; since the 3DS already feels a bit like a real-world GUMP, carrying it around with you to help summon more powerful demons seems like a natural extension.

oh! Now I know where I'll spend my Play Coins this month! Currently have around 200+ and I'll spend it all on Soul Hackers. Screw Streetpass Mii Plaza!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The 3D isn't used efficiently aka it's worthless and maybe it's just me but the analog stick doesn't seem to be used.

FaceDa

Banned
I love SMT games but from what I've seen this is still really dated, even with the updates. I dunno, I have less patience for some of the more bullshit parts of SMT games these days and I don't want to deal with something like the endgame dungeons in Strange Journey.

cj_iwakura

No dungeon in SH is even remotely as bad as Eridanus in SJ.

Is it normal for the auto-map in Algon NS to be completely filled out? I'm hoping it's just the first dungeon.

And yes I have the automap hack off(a really weird hack to include).

FaceDa

Banned
No dungeon in SH is even remotely as bad as Eridanus in SJ.

Is it normal for the auto-map in Algon NS to be completely filled out? I'm hoping it's just the first dungeon.

And yes I have the automap hack off(a really weird hack to include).

Well that's good to know at least.

Still, I dunno. I would have considered it if SMT 4 wasn't coming out this summer, don't want to burn myself out on those.

1337Sauce

So outside of playing the beginning of Persona 2, and all of 3 and 4, I have no experience with these games. I have been looking at playing the other SMT games for a while now though, but I just decided to wait for Soul Hackers so that I didn't get burnt out.

Does anybody know about how long this game is going to be? I heard not as long as the Persona games, which should be good since I find that those games are a bit too long.

So excited, store opens in 40 minutes here. Now I just have to get through this last exam :l

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Aaaa shit encounters my 1st level up screen. Is it better to go magic or strength for this game, anybody here can give me pointers? Can't decide.

Sinople

Aaaa shit encounters my 1st level up screen. Is it better to go magic or strength for this game, anybody here can give me pointers? Can't decide.

Magic is useless for the MC, increase vitality, agility and strength. Wisdom too if you want to have a better magic resistance.

Magic, agility and wisdom (to increase the magic hit % and bad status effects) for Nemissa.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Magic is useless for the MC, increase vitality, agility and strength. Wisdom too if you want to have a better magic resistance.

Magic, agility and wisdom (to increase the magic hit % and bad status effects) for Nemissa.

Hooo, so strength focused then for the MC. I almost decided to go Magic like in DS Overclocked. Aaah this means my MC will be like in Nocturne all Punch Punch Smash Smash, very good =)

Thanks for the pointers man.

Do the people you StreetPass have to have the game as well, or just any StreetPasses will trigger unlockables from the shop(s) in your game?

The way I read it was that they would also have to have a copy of the game, but that you could use the PlayCoins gained by walking with the system to also buy the same kind of demons. Don't really know for sure though. Hopefully someone with the game can enlighten us soon.

GeekyDad

Ah, I see. Oh well, as long as we can use coins. Guess I'll be bringing my 3DS with me on my daily walks for a while.

As an aside, I regret having read the Destructoid review and would warn anyone who hasn't played the game yet not to read it. It's pretty spoilerific.

Supposed to come in today, but whether it'll be this morning or after work I do not know. Checked the mailbox as soon as I woke up to no avail...

QaaQer

Could someone explain how the smt games relate to each other? I've never played any of them, and I'm trying to decide if I should pick Soul Hackers as my starting point, or Devil Survivor Overclocked. Any other suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

3 hours in, and game isn't clicking yet. Story is interesting, graphics are fine, but some of these mechanics are souring the experience.
For example: when fusing, why can't I see what skills, spells, and stats the new demon will inherit?

Nags

Banned
Could someone explain how the smt games relate to each other? I've never played any of them, and I'm trying to decide if I should pick Soul Hackers as my starting point, or Devil Survivor Overclocked. Any other suggestions?

uh, tried linking to that hardcore gaming 101 page, but is that a banned sight?

Anyway, check out hardcoregaming 101 for some details. The short of it is that some relate to each other, the long of it is, well, long. And explaining the short, sort of leads to spoilers.

Soriku

They're mainly standalone outside of Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 and Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Some have minor references to each other, but you can normally jump right in to any of them. Starting with either DSO or SH is perfectly fine. Just choose the more interesting game to you.

Also, I barely have Play Coins because I don't take my 3DS anywhere. Shit. Now what? Shake it like a maniac?

Eirikr

3 hours in, and game isn't clicking yet. Story is interesting, graphics are fine, but some of these mechanics are souring the experience.
For example: when fusing, why can't I see what skills, spells, and stats the new demon will inherit?

Demons can only inherit skills at the Goumaden. Unfortunately, it won't highlight which skills are being passed on, but if you use the feature that lets you search through fusion results per demon, you'll be able to easily see which combinations yield which inherited skills. The only skills that can be inherited are magic-based, so no physical skills. Stats will not increase with fusion unless you're using Mitama, and you're nowhere near there yet.

They're mainly standalone outside of Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 and Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Some have minor references to each other, but you can normally jump right in to any of them. Starting with either DSO or SH is perfectly fine. Just choose the more interesting game to you.

Also, I barely have Play Coins because I don't take my 3DS anywhere. Shit. Now what? Shake it like a maniac?

Ha ha yeah I suppose that's one solution. I have had 300 coins for months now, simply because I rarely play the Find Mii or Puzzle stuff anymore. Hopefully the cost for the Demon stuff is fairly reasonable.

Demons can only inherit skills at the Goumaden. Unfortunately, it won't highlight which skills are being passed on, but if you use the feature that lets you search through fusion results per demon, you'll be able to easily see which combinations yield which inherited skills. The only skills that can be inherited are magic-based, so no physical skills. Stats will not increase with fusion unless you're using Mitama, and you're nowhere near there yet.

Weird, cuz I was at Goumaden abd wanted to fuse some demons abd couldn't see what spells they'd get. :

Clockwork5

I second this request :) I am in the exact same position.

Top Bottom