• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Soriku

I second this request :) I am in the exact same position.

Soriku said:
They're mainly standalone outside of Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 and Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Some have minor references to each other, but you can normally jump right in to any of them. Starting with either DSO or SH is perfectly fine. Just choose the more interesting game to you.

Nags

Banned
They're mainly standalone outside of Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 and Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. Some have minor references to each other, but you can normally jump right in to any of them. Starting with either DSO or SH is perfectly fine. Just choose the more interesting game to you.

Also, I barely have Play Coins because I don't take my 3DS anywhere. Shit. Now what? Shake it like a maniac?

Depends on which games you are playing. Persona references to past entries are shaping up to be anything but minor.

Soriku

Depends on which games you are playing. Persona references to past entries are shaping up to be anything but minor.

If you look at the big picture, maybe. But you can play Persona 4 then Persona 3 for example and have no issues.

Seda

Getting a copy but won't play until after I finish Strange Journey, Devil Survivor Overclocked, and both PS2 Devil Summoner games.

So like a year from now

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game feels like a heavily improved Persona 1.

stuminus3

It's up for me (Canadian eStore), it's the first thing right there on the front page too. Bought and downloading. Can't wait.

Nags

Banned
Getting a copy but won't play until after I finish Strange Journey, Devil Survivor Overclocked, and both PS2 Devil Summoner games.

So like a year from now

Fuck yeah! This year for me I need to finally get into the Devil Survivor games, it's the only SMT related series I haven't played yet.

GeekyDad

She arrived. Tapping a vein now.

I have serious doubts I'm ever gonna open this OST. Only minor criticism about the packaging is I wish it came in a slide-out box like Cave Story 3D. But still a sweet little package all the same.

But now to actually play the thing. :p Very excited.

MechaX

Could someone explain how the smt games relate to each other? I've never played any of them, and I'm trying to decide if I should pick Soul Hackers as my starting point, or Devil Survivor Overclocked. Any other suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

For the most part, they're stand alone. Persona 2 Innocent Sin to Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is probably the only two games where playing each other might be heavily encouraged.

For what it's worth, the Devil Summoner games (including the Raidou games and Soul Hackers), and the Persona games take place in the same universe. Devil Survivor is a separate universe (same for Devil Survivor 2). So you can jump in with Soul Hackers just fine.

Seda

Fuck yeah! This year for me I need to finally get into the Devil Survivor games, it's the only SMT related series I haven't played yet.

I'm going all out on SMT, in the last 9 months or so I've beaten P3, P4, P4G, DDS1/2, SMTIII, currently working on Strange Journey (I'm in H-Sector, so near the end I believe), then the ones I listed + whenever Survivor 2 3DS comes out.

And maybe Persona 1 and 2's later

Just received a notification from UPS that it has delivered the game to my house! Now to decide if I stay at work like a responsible adult, or feign an illness so I can go home and play it.

For the most part, they're stand alone. Persona 2 Innocent Sin to Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is probably the only two games where playing each other might be heavily encouraged.

For what it's worth, the Devil Summoner games (including the Raidou games and Soul Hackers), and the Persona games take place in the same universe. Devil Survivor is a separate universe (same for Devil Survivor 2). So you can jump in with Soul Hackers just fine.

Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2!

btw finally done downloading, lets do this.

Marche90

Still can't decide if I want this digital or physical.

Oh, well, I guess I'll swing around my local game shop to see if they have the game already. If I see the package in person it may sway me to buy it that way.

RM8

CD Universe says my order is shipping today. It'll be a couple of days before I can play, can't wait :) It's going to be my first SMT-related experience.

cjkeats

I suppose I better go pick this baby up. Gonna try to balance studying for my exam tomorrow and this nice and evenly.
lol, I won't, guess it's a good thing I'm not worried about tomorrow exam. SH all night, GO!

My copy is on a UPS truck, somewhere in town, to be delivered to my office today. So what's the story on a printed instruction manual? Has Atlus included one or have they "gone green"
(aka increasing profit margin by cutting out printing expense)
?

Slermy

Received my copy. Still in the middle of Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey. Is it worthwhile to crack this open and get far enough to enable StreetPassing? I have a pretty consistent StreetPass area.

My copy is on a UPS truck, somewhere in town, to be delivered to my office today. So what's the story on a printed instruction manual? Has Atlus included one or have they "gone green"
(aka increasing profit margin by cutting out printing expense)
?

there's a fold out piece of paper, as is the trend nowadays

jorgeton

Got my copy. Will be knee deep in dungeon crawlers (this + EO4) for the foreseeable future. Really looking forward to diving into this one though. Love the whole retro futuristic vibe. Reminds me of Snatcher.

GeekyDad

Well, I kinda dig the 3D effect so far. I mean, it's incidental, but it adds a pleasant layering effect to the visuals during dialogue. And the voice acting is impressive so far. They may not have remade the game, but they definitely put some effort into enhancing the game. Cutscenes are dated, sure, but the rest looks just fine. Sound levels are surprisingly high, which I'm happy about. Usually, games on my 3DS are a tad difficult to hear. Got some new Sony earbuds I'll be testing out on this later.

I got my shipping confirmation last night at 9pm and purolator got my parcel to me by 11, unbelievably fast. Looking forward to giving it a shot, I was always interested in this one. I'm curious about difficulty, does this have a selectable difficulty? Also, for those who have played, where does it rank in terms of difficulty compared to other smt games?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm going all out on SMT, in the last 9 months or so I've beaten P3, P4, P4G, DDS1/2, SMTIII, currently working on Strange Journey (I'm in H-Sector, so near the end I believe), then the ones I listed + whenever Survivor 2 3DS comes out.

And maybe Persona 1 and 2's later

Damn dude.

Vamphuntr

Presentation is a bit lackluster in this. It uses the bare bone Saturn/PSX version FMV that are not even fullscreen because of their resolution and in battle it seems they ran out of characters for demons names so they have their names scrolling. Ugly fonts all around too.

Top Bottom