• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Aeana

Presentation is a bit lackluster in this. It uses the bare bone Saturn/PSX version FMV that are not even fullscreen because of their resolution and in battle it seems they ran out of characters for demons names so they have their names scrolling. Ugly fonts all around too.
Kinda wondering what you expected since it is a PSX port. As for the names, I'm cool with the scrolling because the alternative is having the names abbreviated which is awful.

Got my copy, listened to the soundtrack driving from EB to campus. It's very good. Excited to start!

Don't expect those arranged tracks to be in the game, though the in game OST is still good :)

Is it just me, or does that Nemechi take a huge amount of playcoins to get through lol

cjkeats

Don't expect those arranged tracks to be in the game, though the in game OST is still good :)

Is it just me, or does that Nemechi take a huge amount of playcoins to get through lol
It's like reverse EOIV. That came with the low quality versions and the game had the good versions.

Playing it now. Love all this voice acting. Lots of familiar voices.

Vamphuntr

Kinda wondering what you expected since it is a PSX port. As for the names, I'm cool with the scrolling because the alternative is having the names abbreviated which is awful.

I guess you're right. The only other 3DS port I have is TotA and presentation wise it's lazy too, they didn't update the battle menus (which are pictures) and battle result text so everything is blurry.

It's just a tad disappointing to me. The core game is fine and I have no problem with the VA or localization so far. The presentation is just annoying, it reminds me of Devil Survivor DS but worse. The FMV that won't take half the screen and are full of compression arteficts make my eyes bleed.

I also know they've updated the portraits and tweaked the battles to make them faster and it's pretty cool they did but man some part of the game are an eyesore.

Soulhouf

I guess you're right. The only other 3DS port I have is TotA and presentation wise it's lazy too, they didn't update the battle menus (which are pictures) and battle result text so everything is blurry.

It's just a tad disappointing to me. The core game is fine and I have no problem with the VA or localization so far. The presentation is just annoying, it reminds me of Devil Survivor DS but worse. The FMV that won't take half the screen and are full of compression arteficts make my eyes bleed.

I also know they've updated the portraits and tweaked the battles to make them faster and it's pretty cool they did but man some part of the game are an eyesore.

TBH I'm happy they did this port even if it's lazy. At least many players can finally experience this master piece.
I will be very happy if they do ports of the PS1 versions of SMTI, II and if as well. A simple port would be really enough. I like the original feeling of these games and I'm not sure that a full remake would do them justice.

Vamphuntr

For those wondering, there is a limit of the number of play coins you can feed Nemechi each day and a limit at how many coins you can trade for d-souls each day. At his first level, you need 300 d-souls to evolve him and that requires 20 play coins. The demons he sells for the first two levels all cost 100 d-souls.

Just picked my copy up during lunch at work. Can't wait to start digging into this later today! (After I finish FFV for my iPhone...)

MotherFan

Ok, Downloading this off eshop as we speak. I have played persona 3,4, devil survivor 1 and 2, nocturne and EO. What is this game like? I know I will like it but am wondering what it is similar to.

Looks like IGN is giving codes for this out on their Twitter at the top of every hour. Gotta be quick though, looks like the last one got taken in 6 seconds? Just trudging through Strange Journey while I wait...

Loving the old-school FMV - takes me back. Reminds me of FFVII.

God, the atmosphere of the "art gallery" is so creepy, between the music, the emptiness, and the weird NPC conversations. Hope the game has lots of areas like that.

Question for those who got the game with the CD. I ordered it from Amazon but it won't come in tonight so I am desperate to pick up the game from a different store then return the Amazon copy to the store I bought it from. Curious as to how the game is packaged and if I will be able to even do this.

If that makes any sense.

Question for those who got the game with the CD. I ordered it from Amazon but it won't come in tonight so I am desperate to pick up the game from a different store then return the Amazon copy to the store I bought it from. Curious as to how the game is packaged and if I will be able to even do this.

If that makes any sense.

A shrinkwrapped box contains both the regular shrinkwrapped case and the CD sleeve.

Handle is ABRAXAS, the handle I always use in SMT if given the chance.

Will be awkward if I run into the actual Abraxas in-game:

Abraxas.png

ahdurian

Just picked it up.
Now I can't wait to finish Fire Emblem Awakening so I can start this up.
Then hopefully I can finish it by time Project X Zone comes out
and then finish that and Luigi's Mansion by time SMT4 comes out

cjkeats

Enjoying this so far. There really is a lot of VO work in here. I do like how fast everything is going in battles and moving around the map.

Nemissa and Hitomi bickering is hilarious

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Honestly, Luigi's was really REALLY starting to drag for me, but this has really excited me about my 3DS.

And yeah the little sister voice thing was more jarring than Kanji going to Columbia.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
A Pox on you all who have the game already, A POX I SAY.

I would be going to pick up a copy in like ,10 minutes but I was able to get 20 bucks off from Best Buy so I will have it tomorrow.

A Pox on you all who have the game already, A POX I SAY.

I would be going to pick up a copy in like ,10 minutes but I was able to get 20 bucks off from Best Buy so I will have it tomorrow.

Bwahahaha. I hope that you too can be a Hard Core Hacker soon though :)

cj_iwakura

Loving the old-school FMV - takes me back. Reminds me of FFVII.

God, the atmosphere of the "art gallery" is so creepy, between the music, the emptiness, and the weird NPC conversations. Hope the game has lots of areas like that.

Yep.

I'm probably the only one who thinks the battles run a little too fast. Surprised it isn't optional.

And the Goumaden remix is HOT FIRE.

Up to the second dungeon,
Mm, delicious summoner net conspiracy drama. Bring on the Kuzunohas!

And no joke on the audio. Boy is it low sometimes.

vall03

Just woke up and my download is finished! Just starting and the sound is too low. I also can't believe Im playing a 90s Saturn game in a handheld lol

Just woke up and my download is finished! Just starting and the sound is too low. I also can't believe Im playing a 90s Saturn game in a handheld lol

Yeah I'm playing with my headphones because the I can only really hear the VA when the sound is turned all the way up.

gryz

Banned
after 3 tries finally found a gamestop with one left for in store pickup, too bad it's in the part of town with the least amount of parking.

UberTag

Anywhere I can track down the voice cast for this game?
That more than anything is going to get me to dive in for it.

cj_iwakura

Anywhere I can track down the voice cast for this game?
That more than anything is going to get me to dive in for it.

All I know:

Liam O'Brian - Spooky
Laura Bailey - Hitomi/Nemissa
Patrick Seitz - Main's father
Tomoko (Main's sister) - Chie's VA, or so people are claiming?

I swear Victor's sounds familiar.

All I know:

Liam O'Brian - Spooky
Laura Bailey - Hitomi/Nemissa
Patrick Seitz - Main's father
Tomoko (Main's sister) - Chie's VA, or so people are claiming?

I swear Victor's sounds familiar.

This is excellent casting. Guy always does a great job. Nails the "cool, experienced guy" role perfectly.

Soriku

The guy who does Victor would be a fine choice. Nice mix of sophisticated and absolutely psycho.

I wonder if we'll get any throwbacks to Raidou, since this was localized afterward and all. Probably not.

Actually I wonder who voices Raidou...hmm...

Top Bottom