• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

ohlawd

ahh man stat distribution. Hate stuff like this.

I'll just focus on Str and Agi.

You can safely focus on strength/agility/endurance for the protagonist and intelligence/magic/agility for Nemissa and everything will turn out fine.

Thankies for making my life easier. Things like stat distribution drives me insane.

Aeana

ahh man stat distribution. Hate stuff like this.

I'll just focus on Str and Agi.

You can safely focus on strength/agility/endurance for the protagonist and intelligence/magic/agility for Nemissa and everything will turn out fine.

Varna

And I should just focus on physical stats for the main character, yeah?

I'm guessing ST, AG and EN are the good stats for the MC. He can't use magic right? Whats the point of giving him a magic stat? Also does INT effects anything? I seem to remember it did something in SMT I/II...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm guessing ST, AG and EN are the good stats for the MC. He can't use magic right? Whats the point of giving him a magic stat? Also does INT effects anything? I seem to remember it did something in SMT I/II...

Think in Strange Journey it affected your elemental weapon damage.

Vamphuntr

Does the game tells you when something new happens in Paradigm X? I'm at the point after you unlock the Sea Ark and nothing new happened there so far.

Intelligence increases:
Accuracy of magic
Max MP
Strength of magic
Magic evasion
Chances of inflicting negative status effects
Chance of avoiding negative status effects

Allegedly it can also make negotiation easier, but...

It's not a great stat for the Hero unless you want to proc freeze or shock when you're using an elemental sword.

Varna

Intelligence increases:
Accuracy of magic
Max MP
Strength of magic
Magic evasion

It's not a great stat for the Hero unless you want to proc freeze or shock when you're using an elemental sword.

Figured.

Seems like the stat distribution is a huge joke in early SMT games. STR/AGI here for me.

MechaX

Bleh, I hate how my local GameStop closes at a 2 year old's bed-time. Looks like I'll have to pick it up tomorrow (if they even have it); I hope they do, because the past 48 hours have been exceptionally shitty.

cj_iwakura

I've already died 3 times on random encounters. :(

Saving this for every instance.

LVdotzW.gif

Just finished the first vision quest. Man, this storyline seems bizarre even for Megaten.

Also, more talking coyotes in video games, please.

edit: whoa you have ammo for your guns what is this

Vamphuntr

Intelligence increases:
Accuracy of magic
Max MP
Strength of magic
Magic evasion

So it seems the digital manual for the game is wrong, then? That's terrible :( According to the manual, Magic influences magical attack power while Intelligence influences magical defense.

Varna

I'm really glad they didn't update the in-game CG scenes with anime... I think the anime intro looks horrible. It just has that soul-less generic look to it.

Probably just nostalgia. But I love the old FF7 era CG look.

cj_iwakura

I'm really glad they didn't update the in-game CG seems with anime... I think the anime intro looks horrible. It just has that soul-less generic look to it.

Probably just nostalgia. But I love the old FF7 era CG look.

Agreed, I also love how it integrates with the in-game graphics.

Varna

Well I mean there's a reason Intelligence hasn't been in the series for like a decade.

The whole system is pretty stupid. You are forced to play a meele fighter... but they give you access to stats that don't help you at all. Who in their right mind is going to gimp themselves like that just for a few weapons and won't even get you through the entire game?

Err. The more likely scenario is you won't know until it's too late that you are forced into a certain role.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yuri Lowenthal's work as Captain Paradigm--I don't know if it is awesome or hilariously funny or even awful.

Well, at least it is something different for him.

And to hear Yukari again as Paradigm X' attendant. And Akihiko as Leader.

Man, the VA pool for translated games are really limited to the same people over and over and over again.

Varna

Playing this is pretty surreal. Been wanting to for soo long. At any time I could have looked up what the actual game was about... but nah, why spoil it. But I did often wonder a lot based on the concept art and few screenshots.

It's certain scratching that SMT itch that everything after Nocturne seems to have missed. Just walking around the
art gallery
. It's just this really uneasy feeling. You know something bad is going on in there.

vall03

I'm waiting to see what "bizarre for Megaten" means.

I don't know, each one has its own crazy or bizarre stuff. I remember in SMTI, a demon disguises as your mom and you fuse your pet dog early in the game. Anything outside of the norm for JRPGs I guess.

Busaiku

It's weird that some of the shopkeeper's explanations are voiced, but not all of them.
Like the sake lady isn't even voiced at all for chit-chats.

Busaiku

Man, I always hate getting the option to pump my stats however I want.
I end up trying to balance everything, which is never a good idea...

Varna

Man, I always hate getting the option to pump my stats however I want.
I end up trying to balance everything, which is never a good idea...

Don't do that in this game. Magic/INT aren't going to do anything for the MC.

This game doesn't use press-turn either.

cj_iwakura

What the hell.

Then why did they allow us to freely distribute stat points to INT and MAG and shit? To screw us over? It can really hit someone who never played this game before and don't look at FAQ or something.

That's just bloody evil :\

It's not totally useless, it can mitigate magic damage and effects.
(You're just crazy if you bother with that. :p)

Varna

What the hell.

Then why did they allow us to freely distribute stat points to INT and MAG and shit? To screw us over? It can really hit someone who never played this game before and don't look at FAQ or something.

haha. Welcome to old school SMT. I would have been screwed to but I've played SMT I/II and those games pull the same shit.

ohlawd

What the hell.

Self imposed challenge for the players I guess. Allows them to waste their points away.

vall03

I knew from the start that I'll encounter new demon designs in the game, but I never expected the early ones to be new. Im kinda familiar with the Pixie design here but I still prefer the other one. Heck, Im even surprised that Moh Shuvuu have different colors.

Top Bottom