• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

fates

What's up with the text in the battle? It sometimes goes outside the box at the bottom.

Otherwise, loving the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I'm guessing this Dolly thing is like a forever loyal summon. So I can keep merging demons to it?

A few very basic questions:

What does Automap do, exactly? The map is always already there whether or not I have it on or off. And what about the Alignment hack? Should I just turn it on? I don't even know what alignment is.

Anyway, I'm pretty overwhelmed by this game already (I'm relatively new to SMT), but I still fully intend on playing it to completion.

edit: My "M" decreases with every step and I don't even know what it does.

So I'm guessing this Dolly thing is like a forever loyal summon. So I can keep merging demons to it?

Yes. If you really put the effort into it, you can do wondrous things, but I've never had the patience to before.
It's also a component for certain racial fusions.

What does Automap do, exactly? The map is always already there whether or not I have it on or off. And what about the Alignment hack? Should I just turn it on? I don't even know what alignment is.

Only the first dungeon is fully mapped for you normally. After that, it only displays the ground you've covered. Switching on the Automap hack displays the entire map for you, for every dungeon. It can be useful to switch on to see where you haven't been or which paths are worth taking.

Turn the Alignment hack on. It will make your life easier and it'll be one less thing you have to keep track of.

M is Magnetite. It is used to summon demons. When you have demons summoned, each step you take will consume Mag, so sometimes it's best not to roll around with a full party. If you run out of Mag, they'll take damage with each step.

Anyway, I'm pretty overwhelmed by this game already (I'm relatively new to SMT), but I still fully intend on playing it to completion.

M stands for magnetite. It's used for summoning as well as bribing demons. Early on, you should find a demon that details its purpose.

Aeana

Your "M" is magnetite, or MAG. Having demons summoned costs you some MAG every step you take. The amount taken depends on the level of the demon. You'll get a fair amount from battle, but you can also negotiate to get more if you need to. It's not that big of a deal, because it's pretty easy to come by, so don't worry about it too much. Negotiate for it on occasion and you'll always have more than you need.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
At first I plan to turn off Alignment Hack but... it does seems like it is going to a pain the ass, isn't it? Hmmmm.

So it is advisable to ensure that your demon roster vary in alignment or what? Man, so many things to keep track of.

cj_iwakura

If you mean what I think you mean, yes. It changes form as you use stronger demons, but some forms are better than others.

The battles are fast. Too fast even.

I've beaten the comparatively molasses-slow Saturn version and I'm adjusting. It's making the ever-high encounter rate quite manageable.

cjkeats

I got paired with the Maid on the boat. Forgot her name.

Also, this happened:
bqxeLvC.jpg
Don't think it was supposed to, unless I missed a joke somewhere.

Edit: that's what you guys are talking about?

knkng

Can someone help me out with something, I've checked through the whole manual and have found nothing about this. On the demon's secondary status screen (when you press the stick right), there are some letters that I don't fully understand:

Nu: Ice <- Maybe resistant to ice? Not sure.
Wk: Fire <- Guessing this is weak against fire.
Rf: Death <- No clue on this one.

Are there any others I should know about? Also, does somebody have a simple explanation for Law, Chaos, Light and Dark? I think I have a general idea, but again there is nothing in the manual regarding this stuff.

Aeana

Can someone help me out with something, I've checked through the whole manual and have found nothing about this. On the demon's secondary status screen (when you press the stick right), there are some letters that I don't fully understand:

Are there any others I should know about? Also, does somebody have a simple explanation for Law, Chaos, Light and Dark? I think I have a general idea, but again there is nothing in the manual regarding this stuff.
Nu: null, Wk: weak, Rf: reflect. In that case, it says ice spells will be nullified, takes extra damage from fire, and reflects death attacks.

cj_iwakura

Nu: Null, Rf: Reflect

Victor elaborates on the alignments more, I believe.

Nu: Ice means Null: Ice. The demon will not take damage from ice-based attacks.
Wk: Fire means Weak: Fire. The demon will take extra damage from fire-based attacks.
Rf: Death means Reflect: Death. The demon will reflect any death-based spells back at the caster.

I believe the only other one is Dr: which stands for Drain.

Extremely Lawful or Chaotic demons will refuse to work with any demons of the opposite alignment (So an Extremely Lawful demon will not join a party that has any variety of Chaotic demon summoned, nor would a Chaotic demon join a party with an Extremely Lawful demon present). You can ignore all this by turning on the Alignment Hack by touching the touch screen.

Light demons will never be encountered in the wild, you have to fuse them yourself. They tend to be more powerful than any other variety of demon, so they're worth fusing.
Neutral demons are the demons you can talk to in battles.
Dark demons do not want to talk to you, and even if you did manage to get them on your team they'll eat through your MAG like crazy. They're generally not worth the hassle of fusing onto your team. Mostly they exist as trash mobs for you to fight.

Those show what your demons are strong or weak against.

Nu means nullify, so it won't take damage from that element. Wk means weakness, so it takes more damage. Rf means reflect which means it will reflect any attacks with that element back at the user. There's also Dr which means drain, and it takes the attack used and heals that demon.

Really enjoying this game so far. Love how speedy the general flow is.

Just started playing the game, but I can't help but think that Soul Hackers somehow influenced Sword Art Online...the two feel remarkably similar. Then again, so does .hack. Goes with the territory I guess...

But it does have a few different endings? We aren't talking P3/4 style "multiple" endings right?

EDIT: Wait a second. If the MC does not have an alignment how is there alignment locks on demons?

It's based on the composition of your party. A chaos demon wouldn't get along all that well with a party of law demons.

cjkeats

Just started playing the game, but I can't help but think that Soul Hackers somehow influenced Sword Art Online...the two feel remarkably similar. Then again, so does .hack. Goes with the territory I guess...

lol, I had the same thought as soon as I got into Paradigm X and they were telling me what it is.

Busaiku

Just cause a game has online related things doesn't necessarily mean it was an inspiration.
Though it probably was, but I haven't seen Sword Art Online.

Though it definitely doesn't feel like .hack// at all.

Moonlight

Banned
I've been playing this game for the past two hours (and spent twenty minutes on a name and handle, hello Tatsuya Kusanagi), and while I'm not far at all into the game, holy shit, this is fantastic. The sound feels a little uneven at times, but otherwise I'm in absolute love. There's this bizarre quality to the atmosphere, with cocktail of cyberpunk (as imagined when the internet was the newest, biggest thing) and the occult, that has just really clicked with me. I don't even mind the dated graphics and the made-on-first-generation-3D-hardware cutscenes. It... works well for the game. The atmosphere of the game is really superb.

Also, Hitomi and Nemissa are fantastic. Laura Bailey seems like the person you'll hear the most in this game, and I could not be happier with that fact.

EDIT: This is probably the dumbest thing to nitpick about, but I wish the limit for your handle was ten characters, at least. I was one letter away from my GAF handle. :I

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Only 1:30 in but I can already foresee great things with this game. The cast so far seems pretty cool. I'm also liking how fast the battles are. VA is great.

Top Bottom