• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
EDIT: This is probably the dumbest thing to nitpick about, but I wish the limit for your handle was ten characters, at least. I was one letter away from my GAF handle. :I

Dat 8 character limit. I got lucky with that one.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This game has great voice acting even if the VAs are in lots of other works. Just cause they do every voice ever doesn't mean they aren't good.

Sure.

But the VA pool on games really seem rather limited, yeah? To the point where we even saw ridiculous happenings like in Dragon Age / Mass Effect where Yuri Lowenthal voicing two people standing like, a meter away from each other or something.

Well, not that I am complaining though, seeing how I really like how soothing Laura Bailey's voice is. I rather dislike Yuri's voice though, but so long as he doesn't do main characters it's just gravy.

This game feels like it was made in the 90's, I mean that in the most positive way.

Ahahahahahahah.

So I have a bit of a issue here. I started over about 1:30 in to change Hitomi's spells. I just finished the first Vision Quest again and am about to head to Algon NS and... I have dying status. I take one step in the dungeon and insta-die. I *think* I'll have to start over again, but I just thought I'd let people know.

cj_iwakura

Maybe it's because of who voices him, but so far I'm not minding Yosuke Yuichi at all. The chemistry with him and Six is hilarious.

Second dungeon clear! Might be a little overpowered, but I did map out the whole place.

Also, it's hilarious how everyone is totally ignorant about Hitomissa while I picture Main just smirking knowingly.

cjkeats

Maybe it's because of who voices him, but so far I'm not minding Yosuke Yuichi at all. The chemistry with him and Six is hilarious.

Second dungeon clear! Might be a little overpowered, but I did map out the whole place.

Also, it's hilarious how everyone is totally ignorant about Hitomissa while I picture Main just smirking knowingly.
I was wondering "why does no one notice her hair changing colours rapidly like that when she starts talking to herself?"
lol

This game has great voice acting even if the VAs are in lots of other works. Just cause they do every voice ever doesn't mean they aren't good.

They do every voice ever precisely because they are good, IMO. They're proven voice talent at the top of their game. It's remarkable how much more engaging a good VA can make a game. SJ's characters and story weren't nearly so compelling - they just sort of felt like excuses to string together the dungeons.

cj_iwakura

Is the OFF setting on difficulty the same as the PSX/Saturn version?

Far as I can tell.

Question about inheritance, how does skill inheritance get determined? I have a Knocker and a Pixie for instance, but the result is only inheriting Zio, not Mazio, is that impossible to change?

Tiktaalik

I'm stoked to play this game. I love dungeon crawling, cyberpunk, demons, the 90s and Japan.

Name: Satoru Iwata (hey he was a programmer right?)
Handle: Tiktaalik

Far as I can tell.

Question about inheritance, how does skill inheritance get determined? I have a Knocker and a Pixie for instance, but the result is only inheriting Zio, not Mazio, is that impossible to change?

The result is Mokoi, right? Mokoi has Ice-type inheritance and has Zio naturally. It can only inherit Ice magic. If you fuse it at the Goumaden, it should also pick up healing/support spells that Pixie and Knocker have.

Time out, even demons of the same type have different sprites/ weaknesses and strengths?

Only when it comes to Nemecchi versions. Any demons you encounter in the wild will have the same stats/sprites/etc.

cj_iwakura

Stuck with what I've used ever since Sakura Wars V(handle dates back to Nocturne):

Name: Gemini Iwakura
Handle: Makenai

And yep, Mokoi resulted. That explains it, first time I'm expecting results, not just happy with any random inheritance.

Is shuffling possible?

Stuck with what I've used ever since Sakura Wars V(handle dates back to Nocturne):

Name: Gemini Iwakura
Handle: Makenai

And yep, Mokoi resulted. That explains it, first time I'm expecting results, not just happy with any random inheritance.

Is shuffling possible?

Not that I know of. Spells have a set priority list.

Roubjon

So if I'm really enjoying Persona 2 right now, how much will I like this? Not that it really matters because I pre-ordered it anyways and will play it, but I'm curious.

I am also loving Etrian Odyssey IV.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do they really not do any kind of tutorial? Or is it just because I'm so early in?

Luckily I played SJ but I could imagine someone new to the series just being like 'wat'

Do they really not do any kind of tutorial? Or is it just because I'm so early in?

Luckily I played SJ but I could imagine someone new to the series just being like 'wat'

An hour in and 1 dungeon down and the only tutorial I've found was one for talking to demons. This game is definitely one for old hands.

Sophia

So if I'm really enjoying Persona 2 right now, how much will I like this? Not that it really matters because I pre-ordered it anyways and will play it, but I'm curious.

I am also loving Etrian Odyssey IV.

If you like Etrian Odyssey IV, you'll probably love this one. It's basically a more story-focused easier version of EO.

The demons in the first dungeon are quite chatty, and you can always chat with shopkeepers to get an idea of what's up.

...but mostly you just have to keep in mind that the instruction booklet for the original release in the nineties was like 70 pages.

Probably wasn't the best idea to make my handle 'Thrill', oh well.

Second dungeon complete, I really need to start recruiting more demons so I can start fusing.

Teknoman

Still cant seem to get a demon to join me, aside from a pixie, knocker, and the Nemechi adds. Unless you have to get to a certain point first.

Hylian7

I'm enjoying the game so far. One weird thing happened to me earlier. For some reason every few steps I would get a flashing green screen and one of my demons kept losing health. They didn't have any status ailment. Wtf happened?!

Hylian7

Touch the bottom screen.

How does one go about reviving dead demons?

edit: and what's the deal with guns? Are they worth buying bullets for?

@Teknoman: you should be able to add a few more in the Warehouse (I assume that's where you are). Keep trying.
I think the main point of the guns is for if you ever have them in the back where you can't use swords. If this is like Strange Journey, then maybe there's some enemies with weaknesses to gun type damage.

Teknoman

Touch the bottom screen.

How does one go about reviving dead demons?

edit: and what's the deal with guns? Are they worth buying bullets for?

@Teknoman: you should be able to add a few more in the Warehouse (I assume that's where you are). Keep trying.

Yup thats where I am.

Also screw you Oliver Zero, just up and ditch us? lol I didnt think that could happen.

I'm enjoying the game so far. One weird thing happened to me earlier. For some reason every few steps I would get a flashing green screen and one of my demons kept losing health. They didn't have any status ailment. Wtf happened?!

You ran out of "M"? Once that depletes, they start losing health (so says people in this thread).

Is Zoma Fusion important, or is it just a normal demon? I'm asking because it has it's own menu slot.

vall03

The loyalty system is annoying as hell.

Me: Use <Attack Spell>
Demon: No I don't want to! *Guards*

And Im trying to gift my demons and they just wont accept anything that I have right now. Damn you demons!

Top Bottom