• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Moonlight

Banned
What stats should I prioritize? I've been focusing on physical stats and speed for my main character, and going all in on magic and intelligence for Nemissa, but is this the right way to go about things?

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
What stats should I prioritize? I've been focusing on physical stats and speed for my main character, and going all in on magic and intelligence for Nemissa, but is this the right way to go about things?

Mix in some endurance for the MC and some agility for Nemissa and you'll be set.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Mix in some endurance for the MC and some agility for Nemissa and you'll be set.

It's weird to see all the Fire Emblem folks now in this thread. It is as if I haven't changed threads at all! Hahaha.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I canceled my preorder for the game, but after spending hours waiting (and missing) each IGN code and reading reviews, I decided that I wanted Soul Hackers after all and bought it. I'm not an SMT fan by any means, but Soul Hackers' world jives with my tastes, and considering I'm in a game drought, I'm willing to give it a shot.

GeekyDad

Pay attention to his loyalty. Have him use skills that he likes to use. Look at the comments your demons make in the upper right corner as they do (or don't do) what you ask in battle.

I've just been winging it so far... Guess I should take a peek at their loyalty. Where do I find that?

cj_iwakura

You ran out of "M"? Once that depletes, they start losing health (so says people in this thread).

Is Zoma Fusion important, or is it just a normal demon? I'm asking because it has it's own menu slot.

It's nice to have, but not important. He doesn't cost mag, and you can use him as a good support(re: estoma/status cure spells) demon.

Initial thoughts; I'm about 4 hours in and just completed the Second Vision quest and what I think amounts to the 3rd dungeon. So far the game has really impressed me. Between the very good VA and the awesome music, the game's setting has hooked me completely. I can just feel the mid-90's "this is what the internet will look like in the future" vibe going on it's magnificent.

I've had no problems whatsoever with the demon loyalty. I initially thought that it would bug me, "if I want a pixie to attack instead of heal it should do it damn it!", but the more I've played the more I've adjusted to it. In a way it sort of makes sense that the demons have their own desires and thoughts, it makes them feel more real in a sense. And besides, they are demons after all, it only makes sense that they would do what they want to.

More so than any other SMT game I've played, Talking actually seems to matter in this game which is fantastic. I practically talked my way through the first two dungeons, and sense the demons don't level up I don't feel penalized for doing so.

That's all I have for now, hope that it's slightly intelligible. I'm now stuck back at work, listening to the arranged soundtrack and longing to continue hacking souls.

vall03

Im encountering new demons left and right in this game. Why aren't most of this used in the modern Megaten games? And here I thought there was a lot of new demons in Strange Journey. Now I wonder how many new ones we'll encounter in SMTIV.

There is wine you can buy at the liquor shop that will change your demon's personality type. One makes it so defending increases loyalty--a couple battles and it's maxed out. Never have a problem with this again.

Enjoying reading people's thoughts on this game so far. My copy shipped from NewEgg yesterday and should arrive on April 18th and I can't think of a nicer present given from me to me on my birthday. :)

Anyway, I know the game doesn't come with a physical manual (lol) but does it at least have a digital manual? You know, where you hit the 'Home" button on the 3DS while playing the game and select the 'Manual' button?

Thanks! (Also, by me asking the question I was steath-posting for other people to explain how to access the manual - I only just recently learned about this from MH3U and I've had my 3DS for over a year now.)

Glad to hear from people that it sounds like the game is living up to my expectations (and perhaps even surpassing them). Glad I didn't pass on Soul Hackers and just wait for SMTIV - I was afraid that the conversion to 3DS from Saturn would have preserved too many antiquated things, but it sounds like they kept what was allegedgly great about the game but polished/updated the UI a little bit which is pretty much what I was hoping for.

Hope UPS isn't delayed tomorrow night...

EDIT: Oh I did have one more question but I'll spoiler it just in case. Its about swords.
I know next to nothing about how the demon fusing into swords thing works. I kind of don't want to know anything more about it but I do keep wondering if the demon fusion into swords only changes the sword based on the demon type or if it will change the resulting sword based on the demon's stats/skills, etc.? Or some combination of both? For example, if a demon inherited Zio from demon fusion and its type doesn't normally have fusion and I fuse it into a sword will that sword now possibly have a Zio like ability? Or does it simply give me a particular sword based on the demon type used to create the sword and the system doesn't care what individual skills or traits that particular demon has? Just wondering.

My copy arrived yesterday and only played about an hour or so before stopping. It's great so far, can't wait to uncover what the story is all about.

Fry's just shipped my copy lol...

Glad Fry's didn't mess up your pre-order then (I think that's what you did?). Maybe I should have had more patience, but I did *not* want to risk missing out on pre-ordering this. Oh well - I'm out $5 extra but I should be recieving my copy tomorrow which I'm sure is earlier (by perhaps several days) than what I was expecting from Frys. Worth it to me anyway, or that's what I'm going to tell myself... ;)

MotherFan

Question about spotpass. Do I get D souls from any spotpass or does the other 3ds have to have the game? I am going to have trouble getting these either way, but if the other person has to have the game it will be impossible other than coin buying.

Question about spotpass. Do I get D souls from any spotpass or does the other 3ds have to have the game? I am going to have trouble getting these either way, but if the other person has to have the game it will be impossible other than coin buying.

Dunno about the streetpass for sure, I imagine they would also need a copy of the game. But luckily you can trade Play Coins for D-Souls. So you really don't have to worry much about it as long as you get those coins!

I grabbed a Nemissa Avatar off the first page, if that is OK.

I played about 2 hours of this last night and I was really, really impressed with the voice acting. I also like the cyberpunk / hacker theme, it seems like a real rarity for JRPGs

I'm not sure at all what I'm supposed to be doing in the demon negotiation portions, it doesn't seem to offer as many in game clues as Persona 2 did about what tactics will work on each demon type. I may just be missing something.

I grabbed a Nemissa Avatar off the first page, if that is OK.

I played about 2 hours of this last night and I was really, really impressed with the voice acting. I also like the cyberpunk / hacker theme, it seems like a real rarity for JRPGs

I'm not sure at all what I'm supposed to be doing in the demon negotiation portions, it doesn't seem to offer as many in game clues as Persona 2 did about what tactics will work on each demon type. I may just be missing something.

I think someone already claimed that avatar. I think.

I also have a few problems with negotiation this time around.

MotherFan

Dunno about the streetpass for sure, I imagine they would also need a copy of the game. But luckily you can trade Play Coins for D-Souls. So you really don't have to worry much about it as long as you get those coins!

Is there an easier way to get coins other than walking around?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Is it just me, or is reviving at the Thai restaurant using Yen far more expensive relative to using the revive stations that use MAG?

I thought it was cheaper because of the exchange rate (10MAG = 100 yen), but I didn't actually go and calculate how much each was costing me, it was just a guess. You just seemed to get a lot of yen for your MAG.

Is there an easier way to get coins other than walking around?

I don't think so, but it's pretty easy to max out your number of coins per walking around for a day, I just keep my 3DS in my bag walking to and from the car into work and either it's not tracking properly or that is 3000+ steps.

You only get coins for the first 1000 I believe (10 coins max per day), unless they changed this since launch

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Guess I'm going to have to take my 3DS on walks with me (never did care about getting coins.) No way I'm going to be able to StreetPass anyone, especially if the other party owning the game is required. I can barely get one StreetPass when going to the game shops downtown, let alone random strangers.

Honestly I can't stand having to use 3DS "coins" to do anything in this (or other) games. Either unlock the content on its own during the course of the game or give me a method in-game to do so (via in-game currency of whatever).

I go on walks almost daily and I don't bring my 3DS with me mainly because:
a) Even the original 3Ds (non-XL) is too bulky to carry with me.
b) I usually keep a game running and I shouldn't have to completely quit out of it just to earn "coins" from walking.

The whole thing is pretty silly to me so I'm glad I wasn't even planning on "evolving" the new demon using coins anyway.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
How does one tell what moves a demon wants to use to boost its loyalty?

In the manual it lists what each personality is willing to use under "Demon Personalities". It seems to be pretty general. For example, Kind demons don't want to hurt anyone so you have to use heal spells and guard, but nothing more specific than that.

How does one tell what moves a demon wants to use to boost its loyalty?

The digital manual explains it I believe.

The easiest way to boost loyalty is to just buy liquor that changes their personality to Kind and then go into an easy battle and just have them guard until their loyalty maxes out.

stuminus3

Game is a whole lot talkier than I expected it to be but it's amazing, I'm about 6 hours in and I don't know where the time went. For all you guys just starting out asking about boosting loyalty, don't worry about it at first, the mechanics of it (and what the different demon personality types mean, since that ties in to loyalty) don't get explained until the second vision quest.

It would be nice if Atlus were to also dump the PS1 versions SMT1/2/If.. on 3DS and do a proper translation like this. I'd buy them all.

EDIT: Oh I did have one more question but I'll spoiler it just in case. Its about swords.
I know next to nothing about how the demon fusing into swords thing works. I kind of don't want to know anything more about it but I do keep wondering if the demon fusion into swords only changes the sword based on the demon type or if it will change the resulting sword based on the demon's stats/skills, etc.? Or some combination of both? For example, if a demon inherited Zio from demon fusion and its type doesn't normally have fusion and I fuse it into a sword will that sword now possibly have a Zio like ability? Or does it simply give me a particular sword based on the demon type used to create the sword and the system doesn't care what individual skills or traits that particular demon has? Just wondering.

The demon's type determines the sword's elemental properties. It has nothing to do with what skills they have or you fused onto them.

MotherFan

I haven't found one personally, but I've heard tales of folks "shaking the system" to get the coins, which I wouldn't advise doing with expensive electronic equipment.

Think I might put this in the car for my commute. Love me my fusion and need quick demons :p

Edit: I also like using the 3d in games like this and FE. I notice it is easier to keep the sweet spot compared to a game like mk or nsmb2 because you are not moving the system around as much.

GeekyDad

Wonder if I put the game card in my wife's 3DS and start a slot if I'll be able to get stuff for the game when I put it back in my 3DS...?

Top Bottom