• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Vamphuntr

Is it normal that I gained 4 levels in one shot defeating a boss in the
Corridor of Time-Vision
? Am I underleveled or something? It was an epic fight though, the kind of fight where you panic and think you will lose only to turn the tides at the end.
Lilith's sprite in this one is amazing! MC and Nemissa were asleep for half the battle, the other half of the team got paralyzed often. Thank god Jeanne d'Arc resists death,mind and nerve. She was an amazing healer for that fight.

I love the bosses so much in there, you actually need to have a strategy and be really careful to kill them. They also have some sort of evil AI where they will try to take down your demon with Dekaja or try to kill/inflict status ailment on your healer. Hopefully the other bosses remaining deliver. I have 3 (out of 6?) Manji.

I suppose you need all of them to face
Raidou
?

cj_iwakura

Corridor of Time-Vision
? Am I underleveled or something? It was an epic fight though, the kind of fight where you panic and think you will lose only to turn the tides at the end.
Lilith's sprite in this one is amazing! MC and Nemissa were asleep for half the battle, the other half of the team got paralyzed often. Thank god Jeanne d'Arc resists death,mind and nerve. She was an amazing healer for that fight.

I love the bosses so much in there, you actually need to have a strategy and be really careful to kill them. They also have some sort of evil AI where they will try to take down your demon with Dekaja or try to kill/inflict status ailment on your healer. Hopefully the other bosses remaining deliver. I have 3 (out of 6?) Manji.

Raidou
?

This all sounds amazing. It's post-game dungeon, not NG+? I look forward to the challenge.

Corridor of Time-Vision

Raidou
?

You actually fight Raidou using the Extra Game option on the main menu.

The last one's gonna throw you for a loop~

reriel

Uh, is Madam Ginko just a reference to Lisa Silverman, I assume? She does look kind of similar.
Well, Madame Ginko was already in SMT: Devil Summoner, four years before P2IS, so I don't think so.

And I swear that's also Mitsuru's voice.
wait, they gave that voice to Madame Ginko ....
actually Madame Ginko is a man, the voice actor for the jp version was Tomokazu Sugita, lol. In addition Sugita gave his voice to the two Raidou that you can fight on the extra dungeon.

wait, they gave that voice to Madame Ginko ....
actually Madame Ginko is a man, the voice actor for the jp version was Tomokazu Sugita, lol. In addition Sugita gave his voice to the two Raidou that you can fight on the extra dungeon.

Aww don't spoil it for them :)

Vamphuntr

This all sounds amazing. It's post-game dungeon, not NG+? I look forward to the challenge.

You can access it by reloading your save after clearing the game.

You actually fight Raidou using the Extra Game option on the main menu.

The last one's gonna throw you for a loop~

Ah! Is
Raidou
supposed to be the ultimate boss in this since he's the latest addition to the game?

I'm level 72 now. Still need a bit of effort as most high end demons appear to be 80ish.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm about one hour in. I was playing through the first dungeon and I had a demon leave my party after a battle. I don't think he was KO'd.

Does this just happen? Sometimes they bail?

cj_iwakura

I'm about one hour in. I was playing through the first dungeon and I had a demon leave my party after a battle. I don't think he was KO'd.

Does this just happen? Sometimes they bail?

If they don't like you, yes. Never happened to me though.

My demons loooove me.

Still having a hard time getting over how chill Hitomi is about Nemissa processing her body.

Question: When progressing the overworld what is up with the numbers? Is it dates, it seems to go back and forth. Can I miss events by running around talking to people?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Still having a hard time getting over how chill Hitomi is about Nemissa processing her body.

Question: When progressing the overworld what is up with the numbers? Is it dates, it seems to go back and forth. Can I miss events by running around talking to people?
Hahahaha, noticed that too. Her initial reactions is really tame.

Weiss

Banned
Quick question about Zeed.

I've been unable to ditch Hypnosis, Petra Eyes, and Valiant Dance from his movepool. Is there anything I can do? I've been training him as a healer/mage support demon, but I can never get any offense spells, buffs, and healing to stick to him.

So, stat advice: what's generally the best way to go about allocating stats on the MC and Nemissa? Like, does the MC's magic stat have an effect on his demons?

Is this game going to be in short supply? I am very interested in adding it to my library, especially after how much I enjoyed Devil Survivor 3DS, but I still have yet to purchase Fire Emblem: Awakening and Etrian Odyssey 4. Fire Emblem: Awakening seems to be hard enough to find that it might warrant purchasing first, but then I don't want to miss out on this title.

BearChair

Is this game going to be in short supply? I am very interested in adding it to my library, especially after how much I enjoyed Devil Survivor 3DS, but I still have yet to purchase Fire Emblem: Awakening and Etrian Odyssey 4. Fire Emblem: Awakening seems to be hard enough to find that it might warrant purchasing first, but then I don't want to miss out on this title.

Even if physical copies are short, it is available digitally from the eShop. So it will be available some way at least through the life of the 3DS if you want to download it.

cj_iwakura

So, stat advice: what's generally the best way to go about allocating stats on the MC and Nemissa? Like, does the MC's magic stat have an effect on his demons?

His magic stats affect his damage soaking abilities, I think, and MAYBE mag cost, but don't quote me on that.

All in all, a waste of time.

Even if physical copies are short, it is available digitally from the eShop. So it will be available some way at least through the life of the 3DS if you want to download it.

It's easier for me to import the game, than it is to purchase it digitally. I'm in Australia, with an imported US 3DS console. Can I safely purchase Fire Emblem: Awakening first, before Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers or Etrian Odyssey 4? Or are the latter titles more likely to go out of printer sooner?

Vamphuntr

Is there a reason why sometimes a weapon description is written in red? I kinda ignored them before as most I had gotten were weaker than my sword fusion but this Myohou Muramasa I found is like way better than my weapon.

Dealt with the boss of the 4th Manji,
Lucifuge. Kinda easy if you have a lot of almighty move since he wastes one of his two moves using Tetrakarn or Makarakarn. His ony attack was really weak when you have 4X Rakukaja too

GeekyDad

Any real trick to Versus Poker? I'm trying to farm up enough coins for the sword, but it's pretty slow-going.

Just play the odds. Hold onto a high card (as low as Jack), pairs, etc. Usually if I'm one card off of a flush or straight, I'll hang onto the rest and take a gamble. For me personally, I bet up to 1200, then leave, save and restart a game. Someone else said they play up to 2500 (or whatever it is just after that). Just experiment a bit. It will take a while either way, but I'd say a little here and a little there ought to get you that sword if that's ultimately what you're after.

Okay, I am actually committed to finishing this game, despite being in a genre (first-person dungeon crawler) I generally can't stand. Only like 2 hours in, but I think I'm having fun. Really not a fan of mag draining when you walk though, but I assume that's a staple of some kind for a few games in the genre?

Oh well, off to the warehouse district.

Weiss

Banned
Quick tip for anybody getting stuck in the Amami Monolith

When you're searching for the letters to the puzzle, check the room that is the shape of the letter you're looking for. That's where the letter of that floor is.

Soriku

Okay, I am actually committed to finishing this game, despite being in a genre (first-person dungeon crawler) I generally can't stand. Only like 2 hours in, but I think I'm having fun. Really not a fan of mag draining when you walk though, but I assume that's a staple of some kind for a few games in the genre?

MAG stops being an issue like right away. Just don't summon 4 demons (outside of bosses I guess) if you want to hoard it.

Also I asked this before, but when can I get access to the Primate Lab? I'm going to the Plant area now IIRC.

Vamphuntr

Well, I have all five Manji now! That last boss fight took forever but got it on my first try at lvl 76. It's was fairly manageable since both MC and Nemissa would act before him so I could heal and toss items before he acted. Had to use a bunch of chakra pots since Nemissa would run out of MP. He started to use Dekaja when near death and it was annoying to cast all buffs again since they were vital for survival(BOSS SPOILER
Armageddon followed by his Mazionga was really deadly
)and to be able to damage him. I think some of my party compositon kinda threw his AI behaviour off guard
He would often try to to use his eyes move on Jeanne d'Arc often but she was immune to it and his second move on that turn would be a weak physical attack. Also his "Nice Short" lightning move was a dud? It was always displaying no effect except once where a demon sacrificed itself for me

PVe7nfp.jpg

I'll have to stop there for tonight since I'm must be up early tommorrow. I went in the newly opened ???? room and I'm not sure If I'm understanding properly the offer
The mysterious voice offers you to rewind time and keep your powers? Some kind of New Game +?

cj_iwakura

Apparently there's a time limit on the freeway quest, I got a message on Summoner Net saying Phantom put someone on the job,
after the Auto Plant.

Well, I have all five Manji now! That last boss fight took forever but got it on my first try at lvl 76. It's was fairly manageable since both MC and Nemissa would act before him so I could heal and toss items before he acted. Had to use a bunch of chakra pots since Nemissa would run out of MP. He started to use Dekaja when near death and it was annoying to cast all buffs again since they were vital for survival(BOSS SPOILER
Armageddon followed by his Mazionga was really deadly
)and to be able to damage him. I think some of my party compositon kinda threw his AI behaviour off guard
He would often try to to use his eyes move on Jeanne d'Arc often but she was immune to it and his second move on that turn would be a weak physical attack. Also his "Nice Short" lightning move was a dud? It was always displaying no effect except once where a demon sacrificed itself for me

Nice Short is an instakill to a character who has the shocked status effect from his Mazionga spell

I'll have to stop there for tonight since I'm must be up early tommorrow. I went in the newly opened ???? room and I'm not sure If I'm understanding properly the offer
The mysterious voice offers you to rewind time and keep your powers? Some kind of New Game +?

Yes.

Vamphuntr

Nice Short is an instakill to a character who has the shocked status effect from his Mazionga spell

Yes.

Ah so it's like that Ice Crush move, then. Either I messed up his script or he was kinda dumb not to link it after mazionga often. It killed something only once.
The fact both humans played before him probably helped a lot.

About the other thing :

I guess you lose your levels? I think I'll try to fill the compedium and defeat Raidou before doing it if that's the case. I'm level 79 so I'll put the effort to get to the level of the highest demon

MechaX

Holy shit, it's Colonel Beck!
Yeah, I know he's Shemyaza or whatever, but God damn, I can recognize that voice anywhere.

Edit: Well boo, it's not him. But where in the hell do I recognize this voice from?

Also I asked this before, but when can I get access to the Primate Lab? I'm going to the Plant area now IIRC.

I was able to access it after going through the Mall and the Warehouse.

Estoma makes that dungeon a lot more tolerable.

I keep forgetting Estoma exists in this game.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys I just picked this up as my first 3DS game. I used to be an RPG guy, but SH is rubbing me the off way. I have only just finished playing as Urabe and there seems to be a lot of things to learn. Also the story is kinda weak in my opinion.

Is this one one of those 100-hour RPGs like Persona? Does is get more complicated along the way? I don't mind a 20 hour RPG but if the plot doesn't get any better I'm out, I was expecting a little more Cyberpunk too.

Nairume

Banned
Really not a fan of mag draining when you walk though, but I assume that's a staple of some kind for a few games in the genre?

It was only a staple for the earlier MegaTen games and was (half-heartedly) justified as an in-universe mechanic.

I think there's only one game in the entire franchise that has used it since Soul Hackers.

randomkid

Low volume music when there's voice acting is really bumming me out. Even with headphones I feel like I can barely hear and am being forced to choose between pleasant voices and awesome 90s music. Can't tell if I need better headphones or if this is a game or XL issue. This sucks.

Foxix Von

Low volume music when there's voice acting is really bumming me out. Even with headphones I feel like I can barely hear and am being forced to choose between pleasant voices and awesome 90s music. Can't tell if I need better headphones or if this is a game or XL issue. This sucks.

I think it's an XL issue. I just bought an XL not too long ago and this is the first game I've been playing on it. Even with the slider at max I quite literally can't hear any of dialogue that a character might mutter under their breath. The whole game is whisper quiet unless I use headphones. It's even worse since I generally like having a little bit of background noise, like a radio or some random youtube videos up while I play handhelds. It's very hard to do that at all since any ambient sounds in the room completely drown out the system =/

It's terrible.

MechaX

After a shit ton of playing, I managed to make it to the
Amani Monolith.

About how far am I in the game at this point?

Suppose I'll re-ask and clarify because no one answered. When on the map, does time actually pass outside of moon cycles? Can I ever screw myself over by walking around too much? To clarify I mean the hub/overworld map, not the First Person elements.

Clov

So, in terms of stat distribution... for the MC, I should raise strength, endurance, and agility, and for Nemissa, magic, intelligence, and endurance? Is that okay, or is there a better way of distributing them?

MechaX

So, in terms of stat distribution... for the MC, I should raise strength, endurance, and agility, and for Nemissa, magic, intelligence, and endurance? Is that okay, or is there a better way of distributing them?

I would say that giving Nemissa agility is more vital than giving her intelligence. Nemissa with a decent agility stat can nuke enemies before they can even act, and she can help out in a pinch with quick healing spells if something goes wrong.

GeekyDad

Well, I think the Haunted Mansion was my favorite dungeon so far in terms of story. It's sad and sometimes grim, but it was very interesting.

I also have low volume on my OG 3DS unless there is some XL issue on top of the already low volume problem that seems to plague both systems. I'm really enjoying this game but I wish Atlus had given this game just a wee bit more polish before release (volume issue, textbox issue, freezes, etc.).

Top Bottom