• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

CSX

Found out theres a demon called Strawberry Frost...

endgame demon right?!!!

and I found a track of the arranged soundtrack called
Naomi Battle
. After reading the OP, does that imply a special boss battle ? :p

Eirikr

cj_iwakura

endgame demon right?!!!

and I found a track of the arranged soundtrack called
Naomi Battle
. After reading the OP, does that imply a special boss battle ? :p

It's not as bad as you're fearing.

It's the battle theme when you PLAY as her.

I also read the LP, but it was so long ago that I barely remember anything from it. Then again, spoilers tend not to bother me.

Also, listening to some of the tunes for this game makes me miss Toshiko Tasaki. I love her style.

Effect

Looking forward to this as I've never played this series before. However I'm not sure what I'm getting it. Were the visual simply cleaned up or redone? I really can't tell from the video or screen shots that are on the 3DS eShop. Is there going to be a 3D effect? Overall how many hours should one be able to get out of the game? New Game+?

cj_iwakura

Looking forward to this as I've never played this series before. However I'm not sure what I'm getting it. Were the visual simply cleaned up or redone? Is there going to be a 3D effect? Overall how many hours should one be able to get out of the game? New Game+?

The character portraits are higher res and they sped up the gameplay. A 3D effect seems a given, but I'm not sure to be honest.

And I'd say 30-40+, easy.

Soriku

endgame demon right?!!!

Looked this up, had no idea there was a Strawberry Frost. He's lvl 40 according to SMT wiki.

There's also Lucifrost (Lucifroz?)! Lvl 81 demon.

Luciferfrost.jpg

And Snappy the angelic dolphin, lol:

Eirikr

The character portraits are higher res and they sped up the gameplay. A 3D effect seems a given, but I'm not sure to be honest.

And I'd say 30-40+, easy.

The 3D gives the type of depth of field you'd expect in dungeons, but inessential considering nothing will be directly in front of you most of the time. It's more noticeable in menus and battle (looks okay with sprites), but I honestly had it turned off the majority of my playthrough--though let's be honest, 3D is not what you're here for.

Eirikr

Still wish I knew what I was going to be getting visually though.

Frankly, the most noticeable change between SAT/PS1 and 3DS are that the menus and IU got a slight touchup, I guess mostly to take advantage of the wider screen. The textures in the dungeons look pretty smeary, but anything 2D--being sprites or prerendered backgrounds--still holds up. Plus lots of original 32-bit era FMVs. :p This is definitely like playing a Saturn game on your 3DS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yup, its around 1.8GB which is roughly 1.5x bigger than FE, I guess SMTIV will be the same. Thank god for cheap SD Cards, I bought a 32GB for this. I also hope Nintendo updates this in future to show actually memory instead of blocks.

Divide by 8. Bam, you now have it in MegaBytes instead of Megabits.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh wow, totally missed this thread...

I'll be playing whenever Best Buy sends it and UPS drops it off. Hopefully it's not too long after release. ;p

Effect

Frankly, the most noticeable change between SAT/PS1 and 3DS are that the menus and IU got a slight touchup, I guess mostly to take advantage of the wider screen. The textures in the dungeons look pretty smeary, but anything 2D--being sprites or prerendered backgrounds--still holds up. Plus lots of original 32-bit era FMVs. :p This is definitely like playing a Saturn game on your 3DS.

Thanks. This makes things clearer. I've been trying to decide between this and Etrian Odyssey 4. I'm really interested in the scifi setting and that it's an RPG but that it seems to simply be a port with just a handful of things that have improved the game visually is giving me some pause.

Varna

I know this is a port basically... but it just seems like so little effort was put into it. The last few Megaten games all have animated sprites. Just seems like a huge step back.

I've had this pre-ordered since it first went up. Been looking forward to this for 10 years.

Soriku

I know this is a port basically... but it just seems like so little effort was put into it. The last few Megaten games all have animated sprites. Just seems like a huge step back.

But this game does have animated sprites. Stop watching videos of the Saturn version lolz.

Isn't Strange Journey the only one in recent history that's had animated sprites? I guess Survivor had the map sprites, but the battle ones were even more static than Soul Hackers'

But this game does have animated sprites. Stop watching videos of the Saturn version lolz.

There is no difference in animation between the Saturn and 3DS versions.

Varna

No idea what you are talking about. Some sprites move around and have some effects. Nothing like Strange Journey.

Isn't Strange Journey the only one in recent history that's had animated sprites? I guess Survivor had the map sprites, but the battle ones were even more static than Soul Hackers'

Ah. For some reason I thought Devil Survivor had animated sprites. It's not even close to being a deal breaker. But it is a bit disappointing.

Soriku

Saturn SH had similarly animated sprites? My bad, then. I haven't seen videos of that version in a while and assumed they were static.

Varna

Have any of the SMT up-ports had any significant visual improvements?

PSX Version of SMT I, II and If... had smooth scrolling text!

EDIT: I see your point though. I just figured they might have started laying the ground work for SMT4 with this game.

Day 1 for me. I've had on pre-order for a couple of months. I remember when the original Devil Summoner(?) was profiled in Gamefan years ago. I never thought I would get to play it in English!

Ah. For some reason I thought Devil Survivor had animated sprites. It's not even close to being a deal breaker. But it is a bit disappointing.

idk Break Record might since they could just pull them from SMT4 and so far they haven't shown off any in-battle stuff, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Marche90

Looked this up, had no idea there was a Strawberry Frost. He's lvl 40 according to SMT wiki.

There's also Lucifrost (Lucifroz?)! Lvl 81 demon.

Luciferfrost.jpg

And Snappy the angelic dolphin, lol:

That little guy really can pull off every costume.
With that said, if I don't see a SMTIVMC version of Jack Frost, I'll be disappointed. Raihou and Demonee-ho FTW!

and the second one is... uh... certainly interesting :lol

Effect

So if it's a straight port with no significant improvements why the full price? Just because it's never been released?

Eirikr

That little guy really can pull off every costume.
With that said, if I don't see a SMTIVMC version of Jack Frost, I'll be disappointed. Raihou and Demonee-ho FTW!

Well, there never was a Heetoshura/Demi-feend, but you could probably make an easy argument that Black Frost filled that gap.

And if Snappy somehow makes it into SMT IV, I'll be beside myself.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also it's completely fair in my book to release an improved up port of a game that's now three generations old that never came out before in a region at full price.

Varna

Also it's completely fair in my book to release an improved up port of a game that's now three generations old that never came out before in a region at full price.

I give them lots of credit for this one. I'm sure they will try and market this to the Persona crowd but this game is very likely to bomb. Basically this seems like an effort to right the wrong and just localize something the fans of the mainline series will enjoy.

ohlawd

I give them lots of credit for this one. I'm sure they will try and market this to the Persona crowd but this game is very likely to bomb. Basically this seems like an effort to right the wrong and just localize something the fans of the mainline series will enjoy.

How? I believe there are no waifus in this game so the Persona fans won't like it.

Young Magus

Nice work on the OT cj, Day 1 for sure.

Now to decide on the method for getting the game, eShop or Physical copy? Decisions Decisions help me GAF!!!!

Oh and I'am taking this
msAeIA2.png

Varna

Ouch.

Yeah, not good.

But, uh, this is on the 3DS and cyberpunk?

And that game had Persona in the title! You would think many people would have bought in on impulse and been disappointed afterwards... then we might have had a shot at P2EP PSP!

There really isn't much hope for this one sales wise. From the impressions of people who have played the original it's not even that good of a dungeon crawler. :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Worst part about IS failing to sell well over in the west is that it ruined a perfectly good plan for trying to sell this and SMT IV on the 3DS; rename them Persona.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Nice work on the OT cj, Day 1 for sure.

Now to decide on the method for getting the game, eShop or Physical copy? Decisions Decisions help me GAF!!!!

I always go physical if I can help it, in case the off chance you don't like it, you can re-sell it.

Top Bottom