• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

cj_iwakura

And that game had Persona in the title! You would think many people would have bought in on impulse and been disappointed afterwards... then we might have had a shot at P2EP PSP!

There really isn't much hope for this one sales wise. From the impressions of people who have played the original it's not even that good of a dungeon crawler. :/

Uh, many of us have played the original and consider it one of the best.

I really enjoyed it, especially the dungeons.

As for P2, reviews hurt it a lot. The OT lost a lot of steam because of the steady influx of negative reviews.

Those responsible have been sacked.

Varna

Uh, many of us have played the original and consider it one of the best.

I really enjoyed it, especially the dungeons.

As for P2, reviews hurt it a lot. The OT lost a lot of steam because of the steady influx of negative reviews.

Those responsible have been sacked.

Good to hear then. I forget which thread it was but quiet a few people mention the difficulty and dungeons were only decent.

I feel this game will be very open to the same kind of criticism as P2:IS.

cj_iwakura

Good to hear then. I forget which thread it was but quiet a few people mention the difficulty and dungeons were only decent.

There's a certain skull-cracking boss in this game that is Soul Hackers' Matador.

I have my popcorn ready.

Sophia

I don't think so. The 3DS port looks fantastic, and it's held up much better than Persona 2 ever did.

I think it'll be received relatively similar to Strange Journey, considering that is what it plays like.

A certain skill that could easily ice your whole party if you aren't prepared.
Ooh, my favorite kind of fight. D:
I don't think so. The 3DS port looks fantastic, and it's held up much better than Persona 2 ever did.

I think it'll be received relatively similar to Strange Journey, considering that is what it plays like.
This is good news, and I thought that Persona 2 actually held up really well, myself.

And that game had Persona in the title! You would think many people would have bought in on impulse and been disappointed afterwards... then we might have had a shot at P2EP PSP!/

It was also a PSP game released in 2011. At least the 3DS isn't a dead platform with rampant piracy.

cjkeats

I do hope so. The gameplay video pasted earlier looks a lot more enjoyable. I never played too much of SJ, because when I picked it up I just never had the time and never went back, but I liked what I played.

Velcro Fly

Just a quick question:

I've been playing through Persona 1 on PSP and many times feel bogged down because of the large number of attack types and sometimes a huge list of weaknesses and resistances for certain things. Is that the case in this game, or is it more simplified?

cj_iwakura

The condescension towards Persona fans carries over from the SMTIV thread I see. Carry on.

I must have missed it. We're talking about how Persona 2 did poorly.

Because it did.

Just a quick question:

I've been playing through Persona 1 on PSP and many times feel bogged down because of the large number of attack types and sometimes a huge list of weaknesses and resistances for certain things. Is that the case in this game, or is it more simplified?

Persona 1 has a ton. SH not nearly as much.

Clov

All this Persona talk has reminded me of something: I've never played Persona 1 at all. There's some cheap copies of it on Amazon.ca; is it worth playing through? For reference, I really enjoyed Innocent Sin, though mostly for the story. I had no problem with the combat and mechanics, but the random encounter rate drove me mad.

Sophia

Because it did.

And rightfully so, because Innocent Sin PSP isn't that great. Botched encounter rate, slowed down gameplay, and inexcusable loading times.

All this Persona talk has reminded me of something: I've never played Persona 1 at all. There's some cheap copies of it on Amazon.ca; is it worth playing through? For reference, I really enjoyed Innocent Sin, though mostly for the story. I had no problem with the combat and mechanics, but the random encounter rate drove me mad.

If you mean the remake, you might like it. It's... dated to say the least. If you can get past the fact that it plays like an RPG form 1997, you should enjoy it.

cj_iwakura

And rightfully so, because Innocent Sin PSP isn't that great. Botched encounter rate, slowed down gameplay, and inexcusable loading times.

I don't think any of the three apply to IS, but to each their own. It's the same as the PS1 version. In fact it's improved, and the loading was negligible with installation.

Clov

If you mean the remake, you might like it. It's... dated to say the least. If you can get past the fact that it plays like an RPG form 1997, you should enjoy it.

Yeah, I'm talking about the PSP remake. I don't mind dated games really, so I think that I might give it a shot. It doesn't have a super high encounter rate though, does it?

On another note, a friend of mine got a copy of Revelations: Persona recently, so if I ever want to see the silly localization job, I could always switch over to that.

Because it did.

It sure did.

Thread search: waifu

I found P1's story to be pretty underwhelming personally. I sort of feel like it's the black sheep of the franchise (outside of something like Demikids, I guess). I know people who are ravenous fans of both SMT and the Persona brand who just can't find any appeal to P1 - myself included, unfortunately.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I'm talking about the PSP remake. I don't mind dated games really, so I think that I might give it a shot. It doesn't have a super high encounter rate though, does it?

On another note, a friend of mine got a copy of Revelations: Persona recently, so if I ever want to see the silly localization job, I could always switch over to that.

It's pretty high, but that's what Estoma is for.

Sophia

I don't think any of the three apply to IS, but to each their own. It's the same as the PS1 version. In fact it's improved, and the loading was negligible with installation.

The loading times in IS PSP are absurd, particularly when not installed. It takes twice as long to start a battle, for example, in the PSP version. Virtually every review noted it, even the positive ones.

You can't simply say it "doesn't apply" when EVERYONE mentioned it. :p

Clov

It's pretty high, but that's what Estoma is for.

Eh, well, if it's at least manageable, I'll give it a shot. Though not until after I complete some more of the PS2 SMT titles, and I'll probably get through Soul Hackers in the meantime as well.

Velcro Fly

If you can get around the grid combat system and can keep all the attack types straight, there is a decent (but old school and at some points flat out old) RPG there. I haven't finished the game quite yet so I can't comment on anything other than that. You can hurry up combat and it seems to help battle flow quicker.

The PSP version has the Snow Queen Quest too.

Bladenic

I'm interested in this game but first person dungeon crawling is like my least favorite thing in a game. Might try it when it's cheap though.

GeekyDad

Wow, I'm a piece of shit. Had no intention of buying this game (since I'm broker than a double-dicked dog) -- was gonna hold out for SMTIV -- but the collector in me has to have this. I know hardcopies will skyrocket in price within a fairly short time. Ah well. I'll try to enjoy myself. :p

Wow, I'm a piece of shit. Had no intention of buying this game (since I'm broker than a double-dicked dog) -- was gonna hold out for SMTIV -- but the collector in me has to have this. I know hardcopies will skyrocket in price within a fairly short time. Ah well. I'll try to enjoy myself. :p

you did the right thing, man. try to relax :) ...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This would have gone straight into my veins if I wasn't a European. :(

Nags

Banned

Its worth playing if you are invested in the story. I don't want to spoil anything if you haven't read up or played it. But, there are characters/events referenced in later Persona games, and a little bit more than just that, if you follow the Persona universe closely.
Play on easy mode and you don't have to worry too much about your party set up/order. They really did a great job with auto-battle commands and fast forward as well as making everything as streamlined as possible without ditching the appeal and aesthetic of the original

One detail I really appreciated in Persona for PSP is that whenever you encountered a boss battle, the game will turn off fast-forward at the beginning. You can turn it back on anytime during the fight, and while might seem sort of trivial to the overall gameplay, for me it seemed like a great way emphasize these moments. Plus I felt like the devs read my mind, because it was my intention to fast-forward through all battles except boss battles. I do enjoy the old crude animations/art they use in the game, but its best to fast-forward through all grindy battles.

Edit: Just some disclaimers to add.
-There is a branching story path.
-There are characters and events that can be missed.
So, if you care about what characters you will ultimately have in your party for the rest of the game, consult a guide.
This site is a great resource to get you through it - http://persona1.wikidot.com/

Just checked amazon, where I have the game pre-ordered. Apparently I placed my order on January 25th lol. I had no idea I'd been waiting that long. I suppose one more week won't kill me. I've never ordered from Amazon with release date shipping, how likely is it I will get it that night? The website says it should be at my door by 8 pm EST.

On a side note, I picked up a GBA SP from a mom and pop game store on Saturday and was able to find SMT DemiKids Dark Version for $15 bucks so I figured what the hell? 8 hours into the game later and I'm completely hooked, what a cool way to introduce some SMT game play (first person battles, demon fusion, demon negotiation) to kids.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait wait wait. A character is literally called Masahiro Sakurai? Like...that Masahiro Sakurai? :lol

Man, I wish I had bought a 3DS before, so now I could enjoy my copy on release date. But alas, I will have to get it now and play it later.

If Code of Princess is any indication, I'm guessing this first print will be somewhat limited and won't see a price drop, so I suggest anyone interested in the physical release with bonus arrange soundtrack to pre-order ASAP, in case you have not done so.

Taruranto

The story is bad (heck, most of P1 characters are better in 2 than in their own game!) and the gameplay is pretty poor. No reason to play it unless you really, really want to.

Artemisia

Banned
I was on the fence, but I just realized I have some money let over on a gift card for my bookstore that can special order games, so may as well give it a go.

Lehow

I never played any SMT games/spin-offs before. This game is a good series entry or Devil Survivor is better to understand the game mechanics? Or should I wait for the mainline game in July?

GeekyDad

I never played any SMT games/spin-offs before. This game is a good series entry or Devil Survivor is better to understand the game mechanics? Or should I wait for the mainline game in July?

They're a little different. If you've played Strange Journey or any of the Etrian Odyssey games, it's similar in the sense of being a first-person dungeon crawler. Though the Devil Survivor games offer similar combat, they're set in SRPG battlefields. Lots of the same mechanics, though, in terms of demon collecting and all that.

Franchise or the first game in the series?

Both, but it is understandable if people don't like the first one, so franchise more than the first game. Also what Keiichi says is true, everything in P2, including P1 references, characters and elements, are better in there than in their own game.

Velcro Fly

Going to slap down my preorder today. Don't want to miss an easy chance at a physical copy. Still have some EOIV to play but I think the focal points of the games are different enough that both being first person dungeon crawlers won't bother me.

Top Bottom