• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
also the save dude's voice in the museum cracks me up

"Then GooooOOoooOoooo"

Hahahaha same here.

Btw, I just finished the warehouse where you meet your dad and bring him home. How far I'm I into the game? It's been great so far but I think I'm reaching that point of saturation, and I don't wanna burn me out on SMT before IV comes out.

cj_iwakura

Hahahaha same here.

Btw, I just finished the warehouse where you meet your dad and bring him home. How far I'm I into the game? It's been great so far but I think I'm reaching that point of saturation, and I don't wanna burn me out on SMT before IV comes out.

Little over halfway.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Little over halfway.

Damn, maybe I fuck around in the dungeons too much. It's taken me like 23 hours to reach this point. I gotta beat this soon; otherwise, I totally can see myself getting sucked by DKCR 3D and never beating this. D:

cj_iwakura

Damn, maybe I fuck around in the dungeons too much. It's taken me like 23 hours to reach this point. I gotta beat this soon; otherwise, I totally can see myself getting sucked by DKCR 3D and never beating this. D:

Nothing wrong with that. Game's a masterpiece, savor it.

I finally got around to starting this game. I already love the cyberpunk setting, and the music/script have me hooked. What I need is a better feel for the magnetite system (e.g. how much to have on hand) and the specific rules of demon fusion/skill inheritance for this game (as I'm only familiar with SMT3 and beyond). I guess I'll spend the next hour reading through this thread.

Thanks, Atlus. Now I'm going to fail the bar exam.

Oh, and I can confidently state that Soul Hackers is the first time I have ever had to slow down a battle system to figure out what's going on.

Oh yeah. Atlus' turn-based games spoil me with fast combat, but holy shit there was alot of info flying. Love meaningful complexity.

That's nothing. I picked this up on day one, but I don't think I'm as far as you are. My progress has been pretty slooooooow.

Oh yeah. Atlus' turn-based games spoil me with fast combat, but holy shit there was alot of info flying. Love meaningful complexity.

A log of the last X actions that's viewable at any time by the player should really be a standard feature in every RPG, regardless of how slow or fast the battles are.

That's nothing. I picked this up on day one, but I don't think I'm as far as you are. My progress has been pretty slooooooow.

A log of the last X actions that's viewable at any time by the player should really be a standard feature in every RPG, regardless of how slow or fast the battles are.

More MMO parsing functionality in single player RPGs, LET'S DO THIS GENTS.

Finally beat Soul Hackers. A pretty good game that starts to show its age toward the end. Also a tad bit too long. I clocked 31 hours but 3DS Activity Log says 48 and a half hours. The atmosphere left a lot to be desired, but still gets its job done. Same with the characters, with the exception of Nemissa, and MAYBE Leader, virtually all of the characters were forgettable. The things that deserves a huge amount of praise are two. First off the game design is great. The dungeons are designed well, the battle system is deep, the negotiation system is not too strict not too easy, and the fusion system blends in the right amount of rarity and reasonableness. The second compliment is the incredible localization. I usually dislike voice acting in many games but its done stupendous here. One of Atlus's best. Its sad that its wasted on such bland characters for the most part. I don't mean to be harsh with this game but it was sort of a disappointment. People talked about it as if its one of the best in the series. I guess its another classic case of Sega fan hyperbole. Its pretty much as good as you expect it to be: a, for the most part, serious effort in taking the franchise the next level in 1997 on the Sega Saturn, after already going through the rough process of the first try (Devil Summoner 1). Its certainly worth the time playing, just keep your expectations in check.

I give the game a 8/10.

Roubjon

I started playing the game after stopping for a pretty long time around 2 hours in. I bought it new but was playing other stuff at the same time so I wasn't really enjoying it. After picking it back up again, I'm really loving it. Everything clicked with me and I'm enjoying talking and fusing demons together. The story and setting are getting more interesting too. It definitely made me excited for SMT IV.

fates

Welp, just experienced my first freeze. Cast Agilao on something and it froze just as it hit the enemy.

Should I just play with animations off?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Welp, just experienced my first freeze. Cast Agilao on something and it froze just as it hit the enemy.

Should I just play with animations off?

I did and didn't freeze once.

When I got my first freeze, oddly enough in the first dungeon, the frozen warehouse.... after getting hit by bufu....

Once was enough for me, not gonna lose progress because of that shit.

What about dark (mudo and so on) attacks? Does anti death protect against them in addition to petrification?
MC seems has a natural anti hama protection though.

Mudo and Petrification are death-based.
Hama is expel-based and the MC and Nemissa are naturally immune to it because of their human bodies.

Roubjon

So does your Magnetite always go down when you take a step? Because I only just noticed it. And apparently the reason my screen was flashing green was because I ran out? I was wondering why everything was taking damage every step I took and assumed I was poisoned, but then I checked and it wasn't that. So I was thinking maybe there is some whole sub-system with Demons and only certain ones are compatible with each other or some shit.

So I guess moral of the story is to stop talking to demons, otherwise you will run out of Magnetite, right? But then how do I recruit more? I guess there is a balance between the two somewhere.

cj_iwakura

So does your Magnetite always go down when you take a step? Because I only just noticed it. And apparently the reason my screen was flashing green was because I ran out? I was wondering why everything was taking damage every step I took and assumed I was poisoned, but then I checked and it wasn't that. So I was thinking maybe there is some whole sub-system with Demons and only certain ones are compatible with each other or some shit.

So I guess moral of the story is to stop talking to demons, otherwise you will run out of Magnetite, right? But then how do I recruit more?

The moral of the story is save your party for boss fights. Main and Nemissa can handle most fights solo, and you can earn mag pretty fast from most mobs. You don't need much Mag for negotiations.

dhlt25

Hi guys,

I need help! I've been breezing through the game so far and is now at the
factory fighting the factory manager
and the boss is kicking my ass. What is the best strategy/level to defeat him? I kept getting confused and magic-ed to death. My magic reflect doesn't work cause he always go first in a turn ( how stupid is that) and I wail on him for little to no dmg also all of my magic attack get relected. I'm at level 45 right now.

cj_iwakura

demons only use their initial skills when you use the GO command, right?

They could do anything, depends on the personality.

Hi guys,

I need help! I've been breezing through the game so far and is now at the
factory fighting the factory manager
and the boss is kicking my ass. What is the best strategy/level to defeat him? I kept getting confused and magic-ed to death. My magic reflect doesn't work cause he always go first in a turn ( how stupid is that) and I wail on him for little to no dmg also all of my magic attack get relected. I'm at level 45 right now.

Never had a hard time with him. Do you have any buff/debuff demons? Tarukaja and Makakaja paired with Rakunda should work wonders.

dhlt25

They could do anything, depends on the personality.

Never had a hard time with him. Do you have any buff/debuff demons? Tarukaja and Makakaja paired with Rakunda should work wonders.

Yes I do but I never get a chance to really use them because they kept getting confused and return by themselves. Is my level too low? My MC die after 2 spell cast.

cj_iwakura

Yes I do but I never get a chance to really use them because they kept getting confused and return by themselves. Is my level too low? My MC die after 2 spell cast.

Not necessarily, that can happen even later on, but it sounds like you should be healing in the first turn simultaneously.

Roubjon

The moral of the story is save your party for boss fights. Main and Nemissa can handle most fights solo, and you can earn mag pretty fast from most mobs. You don't need much Mag for negotiations.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Hell, most of the time a couple of my demons aren't even doing anything considering their personality type.

NeonZ

You can also use Zoma Zeed without wasting mag. That's his main advantage, although you must use many fusions to make him powerful.

dhlt25

wow figure out why I can't beat that 1 boss. My difficulty hack somehow got switch to up... wasted so much time watching that cutscene

FluxWaveZ

I'm *this* close to dropping the game. The Amami Monolith is frustrating/confusing as hell and even though I was enjoying the game at first, it's starting to overstay its welcome.

cj_iwakura

I'm *this* close to dropping the game. The Amami Monolith is frustrating/confusing as hell and even though I was enjoying the game at first, it's starting to overstay its welcome.

It's everyone's breaking point, even mine on the Saturn. It's the last real dungeon. After that you're practically done. BRING ESTOMA.

FluxWaveZ

It's everyone's breaking point, even mine on the Saturn. It's the last real dungeon. After that you're practically done. BRING ESTOMA.

Just made my way to the boss. Didn't have a demon with Estoma, but used Repulse Water for the first time and it was far more effective than I had anticipated. Made exploring the dungeon much more tolerable. Guess I had avoided using it before for fear of being underleveled, but I kind of regret it now.

Soulhouf

You're nuts people.
I wish there were more dungeons like the Amami Monolith. It's the only true dungeon in the game. The others are straight forward or short.

cj_iwakura

You're nuts people.
I wish there were more dungeons like the Amami Monolith. It's the only true dungeon in the game. The others are straight forward or short.

There's some good ones, like the supermarket/underground lab. Monolith jacks it up to 13 in a game full of 6s and 7s.

Not even the EX Dungeons are that nasty(but they're all REALLY short).

Soriku

Just made my way to the boss. Didn't have a demon with Estoma, but used Repulse Water for the first time and it was far more effective than I had anticipated. Made exploring the dungeon much more tolerable. Guess I had avoided using it before for fear of being underleveled, but I kind of regret it now.

Oh dear...I started using Estoma/Repulse Water heavily during the Haunted Mansion. If you don't use them you'll actually be overleveled. Even with my heavy use of them at times my level was fine.

Soriku

People are using Repulse Water/Estoma on dungeons outside of Primate Intelligence Lab? I'm actually shocked.

Primate Lab's encounter rate is especially bad but it's still high elsewhere too. Sometimes you need a break from waves of encounters even if the battles are lightning fast.

vall03

Primate Lab's encounter rate is especially bad but it's still high elsewhere too. Sometimes you need a break from waves of encounters even if the battles are lightning fast.

I understand that, in fact I hate high encounter rates too. Its just in my case, my old habit is always kicking in whenever I play a JRPG, running away or avoiding fights is something I never liked because I lose exp, money and possibly lose the chance for some sort of rare item drop. Im just paranoid that way. Heck, in Pokemon, I never actively used Repels until Heart Gold/Soul Silver remakes! And sometimes, when the battle system is fun, I don't want to run away at all.

by the way
primate lab is an optional dungeon? random encounter every two steps is brutal.

Stupidity or not. I finished the Primate Intelligence Lab on my first playthrough without using any Repulse Water or Estoma. I'm that crazy!

Top Bottom