• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

Soriku

I was destroying some of those cool secret bosses but then comes Beelzebub and, holy shit, what an asshole. The fucking fly is moping the floor with me.

You need a dedicated healer with Mediarama (not Nemissa if she's a main source of damage for you) to stand a chance. Then either Makarakarn or Tetrakarn helps.

NeonZ

Make a demon with both reflect spells and 40 spd by fusing with Mitamas (His base speed has to be at least 20, without boosts, in order to be able to reach 40 otherwise it'll max out earlier). For damage, you'll want a demon with Judgement (causes heavy damage on law and chaos demons). In my case, I went with Genma Heimdall.

emuashui

Neo Member
Is "Double Value" good? Will it cost double magnetite for summoned demons when walking in dungeons? thx

What apps do you usually/have to install in the COMP anyway? Mine only the "save anywhere" apps a must-have.

NeonZ

I usually go with save anywhere, Dark Man and the one that allows Zoma/Mitama/Element fusion anywhere, plus one other.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Can someone let me know how far into the game I am? I'm at the Amami Float right now on the rescue mission. Trying to get this game finished up before SMT4 next week! Thanks!

Roubjon

Can someone let me know how far into the game I am? I'm at the Amami Float right now on the rescue mission. Trying to get this game finished up before SMT4 next week! Thanks!

Sounds about half-way through to me.

I'm trying to finish it up before SMTIV too. I'm at the Amami Monolith which is apparently pretty close to the end? Good luck man.

Kimawolf

so I picked this game up and im stuck now, I think i am not high level enough but the guy in the chessworld kicks my ass. My level is 21, what level should I be?

NeonZ

so I picked this game up and im stuck now, I think i am not high level enough but the guy in the chessworld kicks my ass. My level is 21, what level should I be?

Is your problem that the magic is blocked? If so, there's an item in that same dungeon that removes that effect once used in combat.

Kimawolf

That's part of it, but also his monsters just whip mine's ass. I also noticed last night that one of my demons injures itself whenever it attacks. I think I may just need some better equipment.

Soulhouf

That's part of it, but also his monsters just whip mine's ass. I also noticed last night that one of my demons injures itself whenever it attacks. I think I may just need some better equipment.

He is using special attacks that consume HP. Nothing's wrong with that.

Is there any benefit to taking on
Finnegan
without Nemissa? I did that without too much trouble, but I wonder if it was still mopre trouble than it was worth. Nemissa's definitely the pillar of my team.

Add another one to the "trying to wrap this game up before SMTIV" club. Animal Crossing is a huge distraction...

Soulhouf

Is there any benefit to taking on
Finnegan
without Nemissa? I did that without too much trouble, but I wonder if it was still mopre trouble than it was worth. Nemissa's definitely the pillar of my team.

Add another one to the "trying to wrap this game up before SMTIV" club. Animal Crossing is a huge distraction...

Nope, you don't get anything.
I just do it for pride and with a full team to have memorable battle.

emuashui

Neo Member
Me also join up the "trying to wrap this game up before SMTIV" club, wah...

Me level 32... wah... Airport Float Rescue Miiii-siii-on... still not yet saved the boy...

Coz i often return to the city's ship, for fusing 3 demons... for better skill set... sidetrack from the Miiii-siii-on...

Velcro Fly

I'm in the
Art Museum
right now and it seems like a pretty cool dungeon.

Feel like I'm finally getting a fighting force rounded up.

Just finished the
Art Museum
. Really enjoyed how instead of just going from point A to point B while exploring it was something more. I got right away in that the weird creature was speaking backwards. The waterfall one tripped me up for a little bit but I eventually got it.
Bosses were a little quirky but I managed to stumble my way through. I knew that giving me two of the same item that I'd need it so when I was silenced and doing little damage my first instinct was the item. The dolphin I just sorta kept blasting away with Zio while I had my healer heal, my MC and a wild demon attack with physical attack, and a 5th just spamming Rakunda.

Again, I finally feel like I have a good enough group of demons and a good enough amount of MAG where I can use one or two of them on a more permanent basis. I have a Zoma set up as a healer but it doesn't do that great of a job. I think one of
Judah's demons
is a better healer so I used that during the last part of the dungeon and it worked out fine. Really easy to raise it's loyalty too!

Roubjon

So I'm at the final boss...

How do I not die in one with with his Ultimate Laser attack. It hits my MC 3 times in a row and then I'm dead every time. Am I missing something?

cj_iwakura

So I'm at the final boss...

How do I not die in one with with his Ultimate Laser attack. It hits my MC 3 times in a row and then I'm dead every time. Am I missing something?

Which build are you fighting? I suggest having a Makarakarn up, and/or making sure you have max Rakukaja/Tarunda in effect.

Roubjon

Which build are you fighting? I suggest having a Makarakarn up, and/or making sure you have max Rakukaja/Tarunda in effect.

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll just find some Demons that have that. Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm pretty sure I'm fighting the build that is weak to physical attacks. My Nemissa is still doing the most damage out of everyone on my team though. She is a monster by the end of the game.

cj_iwakura

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll just find some Demons that have that. Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm pretty sure I'm fighting the build that is weak to physical attacks. My Nemissa is still doing the most damage out of everyone on my team though. She is a monster by the end of the game.

Yep, either way, Megido is broken, but Main can still do 1k+ with full buffs/debuffs active.

Velcro Fly

Just unlocked
sword fusion!

Gameplay feels a little quirky sometimes and the loyalty system is a little restrictive, but it feels so fucking good when you have your group out and they all have their roles and you are able to do things. The story intrigues me though. Seems like it starts with the trope of
memory loss
but still I want to know more.

Feel like this is the perfect thing to get me hyped for SMT4.

edit:
Do I get anything special for fighting Finnegan 1 on 1? I fought with Nemissa to get EXP for her too. Is it just a manly thing or do I get a special item for fighting him alone?

Also I feel really dumb for overlooking the fact that I could sell MAG for yen. Sitting on 40k MAG and not enough yen to upgrade equipment ever. I think I was still using stuff I bought at the very start of the game! Also makes healing demons when it requires yen to be a lot easier. Really loving this game.

emuashui

Neo Member
silkysmooth, Soulhouf 's #2774 has answer on Finnegan 1 to 1. I defeated him yesterday.

Ha ha, i got SMTIV US this noon... will take a look at the book and CD in the set, but won't start the adventure until almost done with SH. They are both marvelous work.

Roubjon

Woot! I beat the game. Overall I really enjoyed it and thought the demon fusing/collecting as well as the dungeon crawling was pretty addictive. I thought the story was pretty neat, I just wished there was a little more focus on the goal of the big bad guy. Either way, thought it was great way to spend 30 hours, that's for sure.

Now I'm at this bonus dungeon and
omfg King Frost and his suicide bomb. I tried doing it again using spells that raised my defense as well as having my Main Character guard and he still died in one hit. Any advice?

Soulhouf

Woot! I beat the game. Overall I really enjoyed it and thought the demon fusing/collecting as well as the dungeon crawling was pretty addictive. I thought the story was pretty neat, I just wished there was a little more focus on the goal of the big bad guy. Either way, thought it was great way to spend 30 hours, that's for sure.

Now I'm at this bonus dungeon and
omfg King Frost and his suicide bomb. I tried doing it again using spells that raised my defense as well as having my Main Character guard and he still died in one hit. Any advice?

Use Tetrakarn/Physical Mirror just before he does that attack and laugh at his face.

Velcro Fly

So do I just have to get lucky not to get charmed and keep killing myself against
Erika
or is there something obvious I'm missing. The ice doesn't kill me. Getting charmed and one shotting myself before I can remove it with Nemissa is what is killing me. Or else I'll be charmed at full health, Nemissa will be paralyzed, and then all my demons go poof and I just stand there and bash buttons until I game over.

edit: fused something that reflected ice. got lucky that Marin Karin missed on my Zoma 4 turns in a row. Eventually Nemissa destroyed it with Zionga after a full battery of Rakunda meant it was hitting for 500+ pretty quickly. Felt like I just got really lucky...

cj_iwakura

So do I just have to get lucky not to get charmed and keep killing myself against
Erika
or is there something obvious I'm missing. The ice doesn't kill me. Getting charmed and one shotting myself before I can remove it with Nemissa is what is killing me. Or else I'll be charmed at full health, Nemissa will be paralyzed, and then all my demons go poof and I just stand there and bash buttons until I game over.

edit: fused something that reflected ice. got lucky that my Marin Karin missed on my Zoma 4 turns in a row. Eventually Nemissa destroyed it with Zionga after a full battery of Rakunda meant it was hitting for 500+ pretty quickly. Felt like I just got really lucky...

Try wearing null charm gear.

Velcro Fly

Just finished up the
Algon Electronics Building
. Feel like the game is building to more of a plot dump with Nemissa at some point. Really interested to see how her and the
soul collecting things
shake out. Hope the game also explains the
Vision Quests and Kinap
too. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit and I hope the story all comes together.

Velcro Fly

So I'm fairly certain that I'm in the home stretch.

Is there anything that is easy to fuse that has some helpful buffs/debuffs? My buffer and debuffer are mid 40s and low 50s which isn't going to cut it. I have most of the kaja spells on reliable demons but I need some debuffs.

I might just go with what I have to see how I do. I've read up about the fight and know what to expect but I'm unsure about if what I have is going to be enough.

Level 60 right now.

Soriku

So I'm fairly certain that I'm in the home stretch.

Is there anything that is easy to fuse that has some helpful buffs/debuffs? My buffer and debuffer are mid 40s and low 50s which isn't going to cut it. I have most of the kaja spells on reliable demons but I need some debuffs.

I might just go with what I have to see how I do. I've read up about the fight and know what to expect but I'm unsure about if what I have is going to be enough.

Level 60 right now.

Make the Kartikeya and Zeed here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997805-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-soul-hackers/66039196

Hey guys, I've only just started the game, only up to the warehouses but I need some help, I don't think I get how negotiating with the demons works. I know its different for each one and all but I swear some of these I can't get to join me like The Poltergeist or a few of the other starting ones. Now matter what I say to them or what I try I can't get them to join me. Should I just give up on some of these or if I keep trying for long enough I'll get there.

Soulhouf

Hey guys, I've only just started the game, only up to the warehouses but I need some help, I don't think I get how negotiating with the demons works. I know its different for each one and all but I swear some of these I can't get to join me like The Poltergeist or a few of the other starting ones. Now matter what I say to them or what I try I can't get them to join me. Should I just give up on some of these or if I keep trying for long enough I'll get there.

You can't talk to Dark demons unless you have a specific hack.

So I'm patiently awaiting the european release but I have some questions. I don't have the patience I used to, are dungeons very big and are random encounters very frequent? Are the characters and story interesting and up to the usual SMT standard? I'm just afraid that I might lose my motivation after too much dungeon crawling, so I'm wondering if the story and gameplay will hold my interest untill the end of the game.
I'm a huge SMT fan so this might sound weird but it's been a while since I've played something like this and I'm wondering if I can still enjoy hardcore dungeon crawling.
Thanks in advance.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

A good tip to know is that the demons you can recruit in a battle have a smiley face next to there name when you go to select them for a conversation.

cj_iwakura

So I'm patiently awaiting the european release but I have some questions. I don't have the patience I used to, are dungeons very big and are random encounters very frequent? Are the characters and story interesting and up to the usual SMT standard? I'm just afraid that I might lose my motivation after too much dungeon crawling, so I'm wondering if the story and gameplay will hold my interest untill the end of the game.
I'm a huge SMT fan so this might sound weird but it's been a while since I've played something like this and I'm wondering if I can still enjoy hardcore dungeon crawling.
Thanks in advance.

The dungeons aren't that bad, especially not compared to SJ. Random encounters are pretty frequent, but they go by real fast.

Story is fantastic.

The dungeons aren't that bad, especially not compared to SJ. Random encounters are pretty frequent, but they go by real fast.

Story is fantastic.

Thanks, good to know. SJ was the game that made me realize that I'm not as tolerant to that stuff as I used to be. Really appreciate the feedback.

You can't talk to Dark demons unless you have a specific hack.

A good tip to know is that the demons you can recruit in a battle have a smiley face next to there name when you go to select them for a conversation.
Thanks guys, has made things a little less frustrating now, will mean I can not worry about why I'm not getting any Demons and focus on progressing :D

Enjoying the game so far, really loving the Cyberpunk feel to it all. My only other experience with Shin Mega Tensei has been Devil Survivor on the DS & 3DS, only finished Overclocked so far despite owning all the Persona games on the Vita and all the DS games, so it is a series I really want to get into.

Also loving the music, for some reason I really like the music that plays in the Spookies base, kinda has a Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 feel to it.

emuashui

Neo Member
having a hard time getting into this. i jist started, but should i hold off and play SMTIV instead?

As life is busy i am still on SH (Primal Lab -- i wonder what to gain after battle with Romero ?), putting aside Overclocked, SJ, SMTIV and Persona4 (days, days, 1 day, 0 day respectively).

IMO the dungeon design in SH is wonderful and not boring, or even sometimes challenging, fun. Best to deal with dungeons using mid-quality headphone and 80% 3D effect on for full experiencing.

2013 really an Atlus year for me.

cj_iwakura

Thanks guys, has made things a little less frustrating now, will mean I can not worry about why I'm not getting any Demons and focus on progressing :D

Enjoying the game so far, really loving the Cyberpunk feel to it all. My only other experience with Shin Mega Tensei has been Devil Survivor on the DS & 3DS, only finished Overclocked so far despite owning all the Persona games on the Vita and all the DS games, so it is a series I really want to get into.

Also loving the music, for some reason I really like the music that plays in the Spookies base, kinda has a Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 feel to it.

I hope you've seen Tokyo 2032, 2040 pales in comparison.

I hope you've seen Tokyo 2032, 2040 pales in comparison.
Yeah bits and pieces, it was in the early days of anime for me back 98 or something. I think I saw it post 2040 and didn't really get into because of how different it was. I'm thinking if I went back now to check it out I'd like it alot more.

cj_iwakura

Yeah bits and pieces, it was in the early days of anime for me back 98 or something. I think I saw it post 2040 and didn't really get into because of how different it was. I'm thinking if I went back now to check it out I'd like it alot more.

I promise you'll see nothing as badass as this in 2040.

tumblr_mowzssAd4v1s5oxc0o1_500.gif

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
God fucking dammit does this game ever end? It took me 6 hours to beat the Amami Monolith and after like 3 boss battles there's another dungeon? FFS, I was having fun until hour 25 or so. The past 10 hours have been a drag. Ugh.

Top Bottom