• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers |OT| New World Order, Old World Chaos

NeonZ

God fucking dammit does this game ever end? It took me 6 hours to beat the Amami Monolith and after like 3 boss battles there's another dungeon? FFS, I was having fun until hour 25 or so. The past 10 hours have been a drag. Ugh.

The final dungeon is fairly small, and after that there are only post game extra dungeons, which are all small too.

God fucking dammit does this game ever end? It took me 6 hours to beat the Amami Monolith and after like 3 boss battles there's another dungeon? FFS, I was having fun until hour 25 or so. The past 10 hours have been a drag. Ugh.

i had similar thoughts, but the last dungeon is pretty tame in comparision :p

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Game froze during the battle with Kadokura. This is bullshit.

EDIT: Ok, finally beat it. Final boss was not that hard IMO. My review of the game here.

Question about the ending:
Is there any way to save Leader? Or does he have to die to advance the plot?

Soriku

EDIT: Ok, finally beat it. Final boss was not that hard IMO. My review of the game here.

You can save him on NG+ by picking a certain choice during the Madam Ginko conversation and staying with him at the base once he's suspected of betraying the group.

As a big megaten fan, your review was really fair, but it's funny reading the very long comment, when many megaten fans criticized Soul Hackers as being too short :p

cj_iwakura

Meguro didn't compose Soul Hackers, it was mostly Tsukasa Masuko.

After putting Soul Hackers on my backlog after much frustration trying to get the final Manji (you all remember, I feel the pain) I finally beat the boss on the standard run. Whelp, time to fuse some final demons and head on over to New Game+.

Maybe its just me but I found Soul Hackers to be much more of a challenge than SMT IV. Never had my heart race so much during a battle.

Yeah, you have a point there. There's also the fact that you can bypass having to look for weaknesses once you have a team that cam spam almighty attacks and Luster Candy/Debilitate for a quick boss sweep. Made the final dungeons seem like mini bosses with extra health.

Omikaru

PAL copy get!

BUcemiyCIAAUdsL.jpg

Nothing in the package except a card slide with some warranty information, and the typical Club Nintendo booklet + code. If anyone wants to go digital next week, they won't be missing out on any physical goodies.

PAL copy get!

Nothing in the package except a card slide with some warranty information, and the typical Club Nintendo booklet + code. If anyone wants to go digital next week, they won't be missing out on any physical goodies.

Damn you! I just want it asap. Why isn't it on the eshop on the 20th? Might as well wait for amazon.

MLH

PAL copy arrived this morning, finally got around to playing it.
It's great so far, I love the atmosphere, characters and 90s CG, feels so right.

Never played this before but people said it was close to Strange Journey, can't help but disagree - game feels very close in style to mainline SMT1 & 2, Strange Journey was less story and more dungeon crawling.

I've reached the ice warehouse and my game froze in battle - a quick google tells me it was a common problem even for US release, so at least this isn't a DS:Overclocked repeat. Only potential solution so far seems to be disable battle animations.

Soulhouf

PAL copy get!

I hope you will enjoy it. It's old but a great game.

Not a single electronic chain that had the game around here (instead, shit tons of little kids circling around GTA5 copies, sigh) but at least some Gamestop got 2 copies. Makes me curious how long they gonna bother bringing superniche games to Europe. Feels bad, man.

Anyway, it's my first MegaTen game, not sure what to expect, I basically picked it up for a ,,fresh'' throwback into the late 90s.

LayLa

just played through the first hour or so, really like the cast of characters & the dialog so far. the 3D dungeon/VR environments look a bit ropey compared to EO4, but its probably the least important part of the game for me. onwards!

Looks like the pal release barely registered in this thread. Was expecting more activity. My copy should arrive tomorrow and I was looking forward to having some gaffers along for the ride.

cj_iwakura

Looks like the pal release barely registered in this thread. Was expecting more activity. My copy should arrive tomorrow and I was looking forward to having some gaffers along for the ride.

I know quite a few PAL-lers who bought it(or rented it, hi Dantis).

Hopefully they'll be along, unless a mod would care to update the title.

LayLa

about 6 hours in and finding this game brutally hard at times, so many one-shot deaths.
a team of 6 is too big to micromanage in non-boss battles so have been overusing the autobattle, but that feels unsatisfying. hmmm.

about 6 hours in and finding this game brutally hard at times, so many one-shot deaths.
a team of 6 is too big to micromanage in non-boss battles so have been overusing the autobattle, but that feels unsatisfying. hmmm.

Enemies focus fire; I kept the slowest demon a heal spell who could mop up and top off.

Micromanagement in Megaten is part and parcel.

Autobattle in Megaten is baiting the game over screen. :p

Reknoc

Not had much chance to play this yet because of harvest moon but I saw this on the back of the case:

BVHT2C9CUAAFPcU.jpg

??????
the missing entry huh, pretty sure its a missing entry.

though the emphasis on finally is pretty cute considering.

redlemon

It got delivered to me a few days ago but I've only passed the first vision quest. It seems really promising so far though. I love the aesthetic of the game.

Dantis

I know quite a few PAL-lers who bought it(or rented it, hi Dantis).

Hopefully they'll be along, unless a mod would care to update the title.

It was the right move. I don't want to pay full price for this.

I'm three hours in, and enjoying it. Demon negotiation is total garbage, as with all SMT games that I've played with it in.

Also, it seems that demons don't level up. Is that the case? If it is, I guess I'll have to switch them out a lot faster than I'm used to.

And can I fuse demons that are higher levelled than myself? What happens if I do?

Soriku

I'm three hours in, and enjoying it. Demon negotiation is total garbage, as with all SMT games that I've played with it in.

Also, it seems that demons don't level up. Is that the case? If it is, I guess I'll have to switch them out a lot faster than I'm used to.

And can I fuse demons that are higher levelled than myself? What happens if I do?

Yeah demons don't level up. Also I don't remember if you can fuse demons higher than yourself. But if you can somehow...go for it. Nothing bad will happen if you do lol.

Some tips: Don't use a full party for dungeon crawling or you'll run out of Magnetite. If you want to max out a demon's loyalty so they always obey you, go to one of the stores that sells sake that turns your demon's personality to Kind. Just use it on any demon and make it keep defending in a battle until its loyalty is maxed out. Also if you fight most/all random battles you'll actually end up overleveled. This is actually a good thing though since eventually you can use Estoma or repulse water to bypass like all random battles. Good for when things get tedious.

Soulhouf

- The demon negotiation in Soul Hackers is probably the best you can get. They get over the top with hilariousness in this one. I love it.
- Demons don't level up. I think the first megaten where demons started to level up was Persona.
You can't directly fuse demons with a level higher than yours unless you get a demon through a fusion accident.

Can't wait to get started. I really need some SMT in my veins. I'm glad this is coming out now to make the wait for SMTIV less painful.
Glad to hear the game is challenging though that's to be expected.
No demon leveling means constantly upgrading the party with new demons.

Soriku

Can't wait to get started. I really need some SMT in my veins. I'm glad this is coming out now to make the wait for SMTIV less painful.
Glad to hear the game is challenging though that's to be expected.
No demon leveling means constantly upgrading the party with new demons.

Challenging? This is actually the easiest SMT I've played lol.

Loved this game so far (first SMT), but I think I've played myself into a corner, lol.
Haven't gotten any healing/defence demons in ages (and can't fuse anything worthwhile afaik), to stand against spell spam from the factory manager. I guess I might go back doing some sidequest or something... And of all the boss fights, this has to be one with an unskippable cutscene load right before battle, lol great

Korigama

the missing entry huh, pretty sure its a missing entry.

though the emphasis on finally is pretty cute considering.
The same thing is said of North America on the back of the box for the NA release. Originally, it would've been localized back during the '90s on the PS1, but SCEA denied Atlus the license.

Dantis

The same thing is said of North America on the back of the box for the NA release. Originally, it would've been localized back during the '90s on the PS1, but SCEA denied Atlus the license.

It's better that it got localised now. The localisation is really good, and it wouldn't have been back then.

Reknoc

Yea I had a feeling it was a quick and dirty replace. But even so it's not true right? I mean there's been no proper English release of 1 or 2 as far as I know.

cj_iwakura

It's better that it got localised now. The localisation is really good, and it wouldn't have been back then.

I'm not sure about that. Soul Hackers was being eyed in the EP era. I think it would have been quite good. DEVIL SUMMONER would have gotten a poor translation, most likely. Revelations era.

Korigama

I'm not sure about that. Soul Hackers was being eyed in the EP era. I think it would have been quite good. DEVIL SUMMONER would have gotten a poor translation, most likely. Revelations era.
The voice-acting probably would've still been iffy if they localized it back then, though (quite a problem with most JRPGs that had it during the PS1 era), even if the rest turned out alright.
Yea I had a feeling it was a quick and dirty replace. But even so it's not true right? I mean there's been no proper English release of 1 or 2 as far as I know.
Those are still missing, yes. They pretty much said "the" missing entry for their own convenience (going with "a" missing entry probably didn't seem as compelling).

cj_iwakura

The voice-acting probably would've still been iffy if they localized it back then, though (quite a problem with most JRPGs that had it during the PS1 era), even if the rest turned out alright.

Again, EP era. It had a pretty solid dub. Baofu, Maya, and Ulala notably, the weak point(and I do mean BAD) being Jun's voice.

- The demon negotiation in Soul Hackers is probably the best you can get. They get over the top with hilariousness in this one. I love it.
- Demons don't level up. I think the first megaten where demons started to level up was Persona.
You can't directly fuse demons with a level higher than yours unless you get a demon through a fusion accident.

Yeah, it's the second best to SJ's in terms of breadth and balance.

Quite frankly, negotiations when done right give the demons the otherworldly, capricious, and dangerous manner they need, and oppotunities, not guarentees. People forget how to do that.

cj_iwakura

Yo folks.
How approachable is the game? Is there a handy introduction for newbiews?
Looking at it on the eShop store (PAL)..

More approachable than SMTIV, but not as easy to break. I'd say it's definitely harder in the long run.

Uh, do you have any SMT experience? Because this is a first person dungeon crawler with negotiations and such.

Yo folks.
How approachable is the game? Is there a handy introduction for newbiews?
Looking at it on the eShop store (PAL)..

It's not hard, but you definitely should give the manual a look. Then you'll be alright.

I'm about to enter the final dungeon and I barely even had to engage myself into all these SMT buff/spell titles so far.

Top Bottom