• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third |OT| A game made of liquor with perfect bald man. He is cool.

The gamestop I got my copy from said they only had one copy so they took the case they had on the display shelf and I bought that. Obviously unsealed but still full price >_>

Bought it. Guys at GameStop were very puzzled by the game.

Same here, they had no idea what I was talking about. They were searching for it for through drawers for a minute or two.... well, then I finally said, your website says you had it in stock, finally they took a look a look in they're system and realized it. He said, yeah we should have one and we only got one. Then they tried to sell me a warranty to replace the game for $3 bucks if anything goes wrong, I said, check your system, you won't find another copy of this game within 50 miles, how will you replace it?

Also since it will end up being worth more than MSRP in the next couple years.

I wouldn't bank on it.

Even low print run games aren't worth much if there isn't much demand for them.

The availability of digital also hurts the price.

I expect stores will probably get a second shipment in which will sit long enough for it to drop in price somewhat.

It is strange that gamefly doesn't even have this game available for rent.

I think I'll be content watching a play through on YouTube to laugh at it and see if it drops to $30 or so.

Also is there any guarantee this doesn't come to pc eventually?

It seems like they might stand a chance of getting sales on steam.

Same here, they had no idea what I was talking about. They were searching for it for through drawers for a minute or two.... well, then I finally said, your website says you had it in stock, finally they took a look a look in they're system and realized it. He said, yeah we should have one and we only got one. Then they tried to sell me a warranty to replace the game for $3 bucks if anything goes wrong, I said, check your system, you won't find another copy of this game within 50 miles, how will you replace it?

I bet they carded you too.

Playing with the gamepad -- It is really fucking hard to shoot people in this game unless they are stationary, meleeing or running right at you. Gonna have to tinker with the aiming because it feels jumpy rather than smooth. (The lack of gyro on a Wii U exclusive is dumb. Hopefully I can get the aiming down otherwise it's just gonna be too 1337 for me.) Meleeing people behind you puts the camera in an awkward spot.

gamertag: vert01

Hey, got my copy from Amazon yesterday!
Just beat Saha in the campaign (what tender eyes!), and up to level 3 in multiplayer.
This is my first Itagaki game and I'm digging it. That violence at times sure is satisfying, particularly when you pull something major off with a split second decision
(One time I entered the main hall with Big Mouse and a bunch of his soldiers. I Enbaku'd with the hammer and laid waste to the minions!)
I also dig how you can flank an enemy in the campaign and, guess what? They don't see you! BLAM! I hate those ninja guys, but they hate flame throwers, I make sure of it.

I wouldn't bank on it.

Even low print run games aren't worth much if there isn't much demand for them.

The availability of digital also hurts the price.

I expect stores will probably get a second shipment in which will sit long enough for it to drop in price somewhat.

It is strange that gamefly doesn't even have this game available for rent.

I think I'll be content watching a play through on YouTube to laugh at it and see if it drops to $30 or so.

Also is there any guarantee this doesn't come to pc eventually?

It seems like they might stand a chance of getting sales on steam.

Dude...Hello Kitty Kart Kruisers, a garbage shovelware game with an eShop download, currently sells for double it's MSRP unless you stalk an auction. Lego City Undercover, Wii Sports Club and Pikmin 3, all of which are barely two years old, are currently going for 1.5x MSRP. We haven't even seen the end of Wii U software support and its games are already becoming collector's items.

An infamous game with a legendary developer published by Nintendo on a cult system selling its entire print run in two goddamn days at three retailers...OF COURSE it's going to shoot up in price. This is end-of-life Sega Saturn levels of absurdly scarce. There was barely a first print run, why do you think there will be a second?

I've already bought the game twice (one for me from Dell, one for my buddy from GameStop since his local ones don't have any copies) and I'm debating grabbing one or two more to hold on to as gifts. There's only ONE store left in my metro that has the game in stock...the next closest ones are 60-80 miles away.

Seriously, when was the last time a game was so ridiculously scarce at retail like this, and especially out of the blue? At least with purposely limited shit like Gaijinworks games the scarcity is spelled out beforehand.

I bet the Dell/Amazon/BB sealed copies will be worth a fortune since most people seem to be getting GameStop "new" shelf displays.

Dude...Hello Kitty Kart Kruisers, a garbage shovelware game with an eShop download, currently sells for double it's MSRP unless you stalk an auction. Lego City Undercover, Wii Sports Club and Pikmin 3, all of which are barely two years old, are currently going for 1.5x MSRP. We haven't even seen the end of Wii U software support and its games are already becoming collector's items.

An infamous game with a legendary developer published by Nintendo on a cult system selling its entire print run in two goddamn days at three retailers...OF COURSE it's going to shoot up in price. This is end-of-life Sega Saturn levels of absurdly scarce. There was barely a first print run, why do you think there will be a second?

I've already bought the game twice (one for me from Dell, one for my buddy from GameStop since his local ones don't have any copies) and I'm debating grabbing one or two more to hold on to as gifts. There's only ONE store left in my metro that has the game in stock...the next closest ones are 60-80 miles away.

Seriously, when was the last time a game was so ridiculously scarce at retail like this, and especially out of the blue? At least with purposely limited shit like Gaijinworks games the scarcity is spelled out beforehand.

I bet the Dell/Amazon/BB sealed copies will be worth a fortune since most people seem to be getting GameStop "new" shelf displays.

nobody can predict these things. It's possible, but I would never buy a spare copy hoping it goes up in price.

There's a reason that gamestop only bought 1-2 copies per store. There was no demand. If the NX isn't backwards compatible, what then? Who is going to buy a WiiU just to pay $120 for this game?

I really doubt that the demand for this game will be there.

nobody can predict these things. It's possible, but I would never buy a spare copy hoping it goes up in price.

There's a reason that gamestop only bought 1-2 copies per store. There was no demand. If the NX isn't backwards compatible, what then? Who is going to buy a WiiU just to pay $120 for this game?

I really doubt that the demand for this game will be there.

Again...the demand is there for goddamn Hello Kitty Kart Kruisers, and that game is nowhere near the scarcity or pedigree of Devil's Third. The scarcity itself with create huge demand...there are tons of examples in every console gen.

I only paid $3 for my old copy of Hagane...only bring it up because your username always makes me think about it.

Eusis

There was barely a first print run, why do you think there will be a second?
Probably because Nintendo's stubbornly holding onto Wii U for now and it's not Saturn unsuccessful at least, even if it's DC unsuccessful.

We're also in a period where the internet is more prominent in our lives, so it may be word travels quicker. With that said it'd probably be smart to stagger out a second run if they bother, likely a lot of the appeal is more in that it's scarce than it being GOOD, so keeping it scarce would ensure copies sell whereas if they just made it very plentiful then what they feared would pan out, being sold for like $10 in 3 months.

EDIT: Also the fact they DO have digital as a fall back if people want it, but I'm still thinking supply and demand will hold out here, and if demand for a physical version holds out...

Probably because Nintendo's stubbornly holding onto NX for now and it's not Saturn unsuccessful at least, even if it's DC unsuccessful.

We're also in a period where the internet is more prominent in our lives, so ti may be word travels quicker. With that said it'd probably be smart to stagger out a second run if they bother, likely a lot of the appeal is more in that it's scarce than it being GOOD, so keeping it scarce would ensure copies sell whereas if they just made it very plentiful then what they feared would pan out, being sold for like $10 in 3 months.

When was the last time Nintendo did a second print run for a game with a scarce first print run? The only time they ever do that is for million sellers to restock before Black Friday sales. The best you can hope for is for them to provide "refurbished" copies on their online store.

EDIT to your EDIT: Wii Sports Club started as digital and the physical copy is currently 1.5-2x MSRP. Same for Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover and, I can't stress this enough, Hello Kitty Kart Kruisers. Earthbound got rereleased as a VC title and the carts are now worth more than ever. Digital availability has little effect on physical game prices.

Fifteen years of buying/collecting games as a main hobby has taught me to strike when the iron is hot. It's hot.

DOUBLE EDIT Missed this:

Rarer than Rodea: The Sky Soldier?

Rodea isn't rare, you can still buy a copy at/less than MSRP easily.

Eusis

When was the last time Nintendo did a second print run for a game with a scarce first print run? The only time they ever do that is for million sellers to restock before Black Friday sales. The best you can hope for is for them to provide "refurbished" copies on their online store.

EDIT to your EDIT: Wii Sports Club started as digital and the physical copy is currently 1.5-2x MSRP. Same for Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover and, I can't stress this enough, Hello Kitty Kart Kruisers. Earthbound got rereleased as a VC title and the carts are now worth more than ever. Digital availability has little effect on physical game prices.

Fifteen years of buying/collecting games as a main hobby has taught me to strike when the iron is hot. It's hot.
Point, Nintendo has always been weird and disregarding what seems like common sense to everyone else, especially other game companies. For better or worse.

natertots

I can't find a copy of this anywhere near me. I guess I could go digital, which I don't like to do because of the whole account thing, and it it seems this game is rare and I like having physical copies when they're "limited". Will probably check around when I go out of town for work this week.

Those of you who have spent time with the MP portion, how is it? The MP is what interests me most and is pretty much why I'd pick it up. Seems like they put in some pretty random modes. I'm sure I'd go through the SP just for the laughs and see how crazy the story is. The characters seem pretty cool.

Again...the demand is there for goddamn Hello Kitty Kart Kruisers, and that game is nowhere near the scarcity or pedigree of Devil's Third. The scarcity itself with create huge demand...there are tons of examples in every console gen.

I only paid $3 for my old copy of Hagane...only bring it up because your username always makes me think about it.

well that hello kitty game is being bought by weird completion collector guys. There are only so many of them.

And its also available for under $40 BIN from multiple sellers right now -http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hello-Kitty-Kruisers-With-Sanrio-Friends-Nintendo-Wii-U-2014-/131664841950?hash=item1ea7d60cde:g:DEIAAOSwo6lWGW-7

IDK why you seem fixated on this hello kitty game, it doesn't seem like it's that expensive or rare.

One sold for $25 about two weeks ago. - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hello-Kitty...266349?hash=item1a09e6bd2d:g:aiYAAOSwxN5WWO~i

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the full single and multiplayer of this come to steam eventually. I'd love to play it on PC with a better framerate.

I bought hagane for $7 in 2013 so there! haha.

I did sell it for $200 before it jumped to $600. I was convinced that the snes market was at its peak. Didn't know how stupid people were. I'm kind of pessimistic about these things, I tend to sell whenever things are high because i assume the prices will crash any day. I've been collecting a while too, started with PS1 games when i worked at gamecrazy and they were doing that any 3 retro games for $10 thing. Bought a few hundred PS1 games. Wish I had bought more, and of SNES/NES. We had piles and piles of them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I also wouldn't be surprised to see the full single and multiplayer of this come to steam eventually. I'd love to play it on PC with a better framerate.

The multiplayer component of the game is coming to Steam for free as a separate package. The multiplayer appears to be fairly separate and distinct from the main campaign.

I'd be surprised to see a Nintendo published game released on Steam. I don't think that's ever happened.

The multiplayer component of the game is coming to Steam for free as a separate package. The multiplayer appears to be fairly separate and distinct from the main campaign.

I'd be surprised to see a Nintendo published game released on Steam. I don't think that's ever happened.

It's not that different than dead rising 3 or ryse showing up on steam later. It just depends on what the publishing deal was and if Valhalla is allowed to self publish after a time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's not that different than dead rising 3 or ryse showing up on steam later. It just depends on what the publishing deal was and if Valhalla is allowed to self publish after a time.

It's slightly different because Microsoft has a history of PC releases, whereas Nintendo doesn't. There's a a chance for everything, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It's nice playing the multiplayer on the Wii U where everyone is terrible. I know that when I download the PC version of the multiplayer I'll be wrecked ;-;

Edit: I think this game has the worst rumble support I've ever experienced. It just vibrates at full intensity for the entirety of some cutscenes.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Just ordered this from GameStop. I was gonna go with the Best Buy deal next week, but it sold out so quickly. I'm just glad that it got a physical release, unlike Fatal Frame...

It's nice playing the multiplayer on the Wii U where everyone is terrible. I know that when I download the PC version of the multiplayer I'll be wrecked ;-;

Edit: I think this game has the worst rumble support I've ever experienced. It just vibrates at full intensity for the entirety of some cutscenes.
Wonderful 101 was worse (the demo at least)

Phone vibrate function constantly, with little to no correlation to the action on screen

Iorv3th

Need some help from those that have beat the game or at least the 3rd level.

This fucking boss is so cheap. How did you guys beat him? It seems he is randomly susceptible to attacks and randomly when I do attack him he just spins in the air and knifes me and either almost kills me or completely kills me. Feel like I'm just dodging the entire time waiting for an opening. Got him down to one hit and then he grabs me and kills me.....

Expected so much more from itagaki.

Game was a lot of fun up until this boss.

As soon as I post this I beat it.

Broritos

As clan leader, you even have to manage your clans finances and determine how much to pay your clan members.

This game has the deepest multiplayer in a shooter since...I don't even know.

SalvaPot

Wonderful 101 was worse (the demo at least)

Phone vibrate function constantly, with little to no correlation to the action on screen

This is going to sound weird but I feel Wonderful 101 might have sold better without a demo.

Also I am so fucking happy I went with my gut and bought the game on Amazon before it sold out.

This fucking boss is so cheap. How did you guys beat him? It seems he is randomly susceptible to attacks and randomly when I do attack him he just spins in the air and knifes me and either almost kills me or completely kills me. Feel like I'm just dodging the entire time waiting for an opening. Got him down to one hit and then he grabs me and kills me.....

I had about the same experience as you, but I learned his pattern better, and even though they said not to shoot, I hip shoot while running. Also the jump attack was my friend also.

Spoo

Game somehow manages to be fun in spite of itself. Terrible performance (framerate at 30 is the exception, and not the rule here), a serious lack of depth to the combat system, and many enemies that are simply bullet sinks... but, there's a weird soul to it, and for every unremarkable boss fight there's an encounter or move I pull off that feels like it was ripped right out of a AAA Itagaki game and somehow ended up here. Movement is fast, and you're never in one place for too long.

Really wish the core of this game was in an engine and a platform that could actually support what it wants to do. There's actually fun to be had here; it's the best "worst" game I've played this year, with a ton of B-movie antics, camp, and a wild premise that somehow works.

It's a bad game, yet even though I own 3 or 4 of this years biggest titles, I felt compelled to sink time into this one. Haven't tried multiplayer, but I suspect it's where the best stuff is -- the campaign is ridiculous, and uneven, but I actually see myself finishing it which is not what I expected early on. As a friend said who was watching me play it, "You know, for an objectively poor game, this is actually fun to watch." Oddly, it's fun to play, too.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

i thought it was a pretty great, traditional 'watch the tells and learn the openings' kind of boss. don't get greedy, stay close so he doesn't start throwing knives, etc. always poke once and watch for the stagger before you follow up. do the souls/bloodborne trick of dodging towards him, through his attacks rather than away from him.

it's funny you say you 'excepted more from itagaki' because it's a very classic genshin type of fight. i mean, it's not quite as good but the spirit is the same.

Coda

I didn't want to pay a full 60 for this game but seeing as how that's not gonna change anytime soon I just bought the digital version. I watched some streams and I can't resist that multiplayer.

Also if there's a GAF clan I want in. My Nintendo ID is: solidchancerain

He was owning me every time until I began to run>slide>attack>MOVE!

Game somehow manages to be fun in spite of itself. Terrible performance (framerate at 30 is the exception, and not the rule here), a serious lack of depth to the combat system, and many enemies that are simply bullet sinks... but, there's a weird soul to it, and for every unremarkable boss fight there's an encounter or move I pull off that feels like it was ripped right out of a AAA Itagaki game and somehow ended up here. Movement is fast, and you're never in one place for too long.

Really wish the core of this game was in an engine and a platform that could actually support what it wants to do. There's actually fun to be had here; it's the best "worst" game I've played this year, with a ton of B-movie antics, camp, and a wild premise that somehow works.

It's a bad game, yet even though I own 3 or 4 of this years biggest titles, I felt compelled to sink time into this one. Haven't tried multiplayer, but I suspect it's where the best stuff is -- the campaign is ridiculous, and uneven, but I actually see myself finishing it which is not what I expected early on. As a friend said who was watching me play it, "You know, for an objectively poor game, this is actually fun to watch." Oddly, it's fun to play, too.

This is why I really hope for a steam or ps4/xb1 version.

Didn't Nintendo also publish Ninja Gaiden 3 razors edge? That showed up on ps3/360 too.

Didn't Nintendo also publish Ninja Gaiden 3 razors edge? That showed up on ps3/360 too.

Only in Western territories. Tecmo published it in Japan so it's a different situation.

For instance Nintendo published several Sonic games in Europe like Sonic Lost World.

Devil's Third multiplayer is already coming to PC as free-to-play.

TheMoon

Only in the West. In Japan, it was a Tecmo Koei game still. And Razor's Edge was also just a "version" of an existing multiplatform game. Doesn't really compare to this where they picked it up and footed the actual bills for development plus their usual SPD production involvement.

Domaje

Hey, got my copy from Amazon yesterday!
Just beat Saha in the campaign (what tender eyes!), and up to level 3 in multiplayer.
This is my first Itagaki game and I'm digging it. That violence at times sure is satisfying, particularly when you pull something major off with a split second decision
(One time I entered the main hall with Big Mouse and a bunch of his soldiers. I Enbaku'd with the hammer and laid waste to the minions!)
I also dig how you can flank an enemy in the campaign and, guess what? They don't see you! BLAM! I hate those ninja guys, but they hate flame throwers, I make sure of it.
Yeah this is crazy. One time I managed to keep alive only one enemy in the room and I could literally play hide and seek with him. If you hide well, at some point enemies lose sight of you and you can flank them. It doesn't happen often but it's a really nice detail that I wasn't expecting.

Boke1879

Looks like those of us who want to play this game but not for $60 won't have a choice, will we? Destructoid was told by GameStop that they only received 420 copies for the entire country. And Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Amazon do not have any copies whatsoever. This isn't like a post-release shortage, is it? This is likely it for Devil's Third (unless you want to buy it on the eShop)?

Nintendo sure knows how to make a game rare, don't they?

I'm glad I ordered from GS.com when I did. Unless Nintendo does another print this version of the game is about to be super rare.

Looks like those of us who want to play this game but not for $60 won't have a choice, will we? Destructoid was told by GameStop that they only received 420 copies for the entire country. And Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Amazon do not have any copies whatsoever. This isn't like a post-release shortage, is it? This is likely it for Devil's Third (unless you want to buy it on the eShop)?

Nintendo sure knows how to make a game rare, don't they?

Doubt a second printing is in the pipeline.

My Wii U collection will be worth more than the MSRP I spent on it before it's even officially dead. lol

Considering from many sources there was a done deal with XSeed for distribution in NA I wonder why NOA didn't just let them release it?

Also if NOA was capable of creating this low of a print run why didn't they do so for Fatal Frame?

Considering from many sources there was a done deal with XSeed for distribution in NA I wonder why NOA didn't just let them release it?

Also if NOA was capable of creating this low of a print run why didn't they do so for Fatal Frame?

And not only that, why does the American version have different and perhaps objectively worse Boxart than the other regions?

This year has opened my eyes to how much NoA sucks.

My XCX CE finally came in yesterday. Played it for an hour but ended up going back to Devils Third MP. I can't believe it...

Anyway my nephew is beasting it. Always getting top 3 in matches. His Devils third MP name is Toriel. Hes rank 1 in TDM, at the moment.

c34jCtFm.jpg

My MP name is Jehuty. I'm really mediocre but having fun just playing. Actually I havent played any game for almost a year with all this real life mumbo jumbo. Devils Third brpught me back! (it was supossed to be XCX)

Finally got started on multiplayer, did a few Battle Royal and Team Deathmatch games. Didn't realize the game gives you so many Golden Eggs at the start, even without completing Solo Play first. That was a ton of fun, even though all I have access to are just those three drill modes and none of the clan stuff. Though some things I learned is discovered is that I had developed some bad habits during Solo Play which hindered some of my performance during multi (like heavy reliance on auto aim during the campaign).

I keep thinking about what this mode will be like once Devil's Third Online releases, because while I prefer shooter controls on a mouse and keyboard, I'm already so use to the Pro Controller layout with regards to Melee. I'm still bad at shooting, and I need to better gauge my opportunities for when to get up close. Either way, still fun, and I hope I don't keep losing matches too often so I can get at more of the meat in this mode. Thing is crazy in depth.

Chapter 8s boss battle was ridiculous lol couldn't stop laughing while getting pelted with rockets.
That mission's entire premise and big moments are just so ridiculous. So goddamn hilarious.

Well fuck, my closest store sold out before I could get there today since my daughter is sick. Closest store that MIGHT have it is over an hour away.

I really dont want to go digital on this as I'm not sure if I'm keeping this Wii U since my gamepad lcd is broken (my fault).

Fuck yes, graduated from training.

Holy fucking shit, the world really does open up to you once you're done with drills. This is gonna be something special.

Top Bottom