• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

If that's the case, then I must say it's a silly difficulty. I mean if the control of your character was as nimble/precise as say DMC and DMD mode, but getting hit once and dying sounds like a recipe for disaster in a game with such a controlcheme as diablo.

It's definitely for the best of the best players. I have no idea if I'll have the patience for it yet. I'm sure that we'll be able to defeat it with our powers combined though, sort of like Captain Planet versus pollution.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Having all kinds of armor/resistances/defensive-skills, I don't think you're gonna get one-shot by regular monsters in inferno but if this will be the case, then I sure do take this the positive way. People can still play the hell difficulty and it'll be the perfect balance between the two, I'd think.

Fugu

I am pretty sure that is the result of Blizzard North being closed and Blizzard considering D2 "dead" even when some patches and ladder resets still coming. World of Warcraft has proven that Blizzard knows how to control a 10+million player base where there are no item dupes (and if there were for a short moment of time, they were always caught, corrected) - there is no point in assuming that for some reason, the company is not going forward with this, but instead channels the mentality of a dead, closed studio and a semi-abandoned game. Not with RMAH present, that is more than guaranteed.
It is certainly at least partially a result of that, but I don't really see that as an excuse; I think that they could solve a lot of problems with a couple of very simple fixes: A CAPTCHA on game creation and a five second hostile timer after entering a TP would completely shut down both of the problems that I discussed in my original post.

Duping isn't really a real problem on Diablo 2, either. In fact, it hasn't existed in any repeatable form for a large number of years, and current duping methods rely on a shotgun approach that produces temporary items that must be further exploited (inserted into other items, as in the case of runes, or rerolled, as in the case of uniques) to make them permanent. What is a real problem (as previously mentioned) is botting, which is also a real problem in World of Warcraft; it is only subdued because World of Warcraft's game design makes bots less relevant (BoE/BoP gear, the fact that the game's best items can't be bought with gold, etc.). As well, World of Warcraft is beginning to develop a multi boxing problem, which has similar ramifications to TPPK.

However, I don't want to seem like I'm counting Blizzard out before they've even had a chance. I am certain they are aware that people will try to exploit their game. I'm just a little bitter right now and I know that I'm just going to be exponentially more cheesed if I purchase a third diablo game that's just as ruined by cheats as the first two.

Yes some things were handheld server side, but the client had too much power of what it requested. Example, when you do anything in a online game it sends a packet. Some games the packet says "I casted fireball on this monster" More modern games the packet simply says, "i clicked a spell in slot 2, do I have that spell? Ok I wanna cast it on this monster, is that cool?" and server checks everything. Aka things are a lot more secure, blizzard has learned :)

The "fireball" example was actually something possible in the original wow beta. I ran around on a rogue casting Mage spells ;p I did it to report it too Blizzard though (I'm not a "haxor")

If that makes sense? I have a huge history with this topic, but I didn't wanna get into too many details.
Yeah, it's because of this that maphack is functional. But honestly, maphack doesn't mean much compared to some of the larger cheats, which rely primarily on design flaws within the game itself and not security issues to function.

Svafnir

Having all kinds of armor/resistances/defensive-skills, I don't think you're gonna get one-shot by regular monsters in inferno but if this will be the case, then I sure do take this the positive way. People can still play the hell difficulty and it'll be the perfect balance between the two, I'd think.

I don't think normal monsters will, progression will be limited by bosses for sure, and with the fact bosses have enrage timers this around it's not gonna be possible to exploit them. Sure someone could figure out the pattern of a boss perfect and never be hot, but if they aren't doing enough a damage they are just gonna lose anyway.

Riggs

Banned
Some of you may recall that I posted a picture last night of my Diablo 2 character as the #1 amazon on USEast hardcore ladder. While this is still true, it probably won't be for long, and I'd like to explain why and its importance to Diablo 3 in the most comfortable of all formats: the long-winded forum post.

As I type (and likely as you read), I am in the process of losing the rather large lead that I had yesterday. It is now a medium-sized lead, and it is one that will probably be non-existent by this time tomorrow. I am currently losing ground to a follow bot; for those who aren't familiar, a follow bot is a computer-controlled character that follows another computer-controlled character into games, where it automates the completion of Baal and his minions over and over, facilitating the gain of experience without any input from whoever it is that controls the character. Unlike the character that actually has to clear the throne room (who is, as previously mentioned, also computer controlled), the follow bot is never in any danger so there is basically no way to impede its function short of cheating. This means that the "player" who is about to pass me probably isn't even aware of that fact and may not know it for many days afterwards.

Should I not be passed by the cheater who possesses the follow bot, I will surely be subdued by the cheaters who are trying to kill me. Being on the top of a ladder from which you can be removed by being killed (hardcore characters have only one life) means that invariably someone will try to kill you, which is a fact of which I am aware and certainly not complaining about. However, very few players have tried to kill me through legitimate means: Two attempts have been made to kill my character by surrounding a town portal in monsters and masquerading it as a safe portal; I'm always prepared for this possibility so these attempts were not successful, unscrupulous as they are. The majority of the attempts to kill me, however, have been through the TPPK, a cheat that allows a character to kill another character without putting themselves in any harm. It functions by firing a slow-moving projectile at a monster, entering a town portal, and then hostiling so that that projectile is now able to target the player that the TPPKer is trying to kill (in this case, me). Blizzard made a valiant effort at stopping the TPPK but it was not quite good enough, so it is still very much possible.

The short version is that because of such a prolific cheating population, I will probably lose my spot at the top of the Amazon ladder. I have held my position for nearly nine days (the ladder was reset on May 2nd), and I have done it without ever cheating; I've accomplished that by putting in a huge amount of time and effort to play my character. But nine days is nothing for a bot, and my accomplishment will be worthless in a short time from now. I will likely be leaving Diablo 2 knowing that my attempts to play my favourite game of all time at my best was entirely squandered by someone who downloaded a script, and I can't help but think of how important it is that Blizzard be vigilant at preventing cheaters from taking over Diablo 3 like they have Diablo 2. If they can't make botting a thing of the past, then all of the work that they'll have done on the game will be irrelevant. For players who like to see some sort of tangible indication of their accomplishment -- a group which make up a significant percentage of those that play RPGs online and which includes this poster -- allowing cheaters to proliferate completely destroys any purpose to playing the game. And that bites.

I am probably making too big a deal over what is ultimately just a game, but I was really hoping I could go out with a bang after having played it for twelve years. I don't plan on giving up (my intention was to stay on top until midnight on the 15th, and I'm still going to try to do that), but I'm not optimistic.

fyZ5V.jpg

No you are not making a big deal out of nothing, it's a legit gripe. Hope these idiots don't beat you down bro. But stories like yours makes me glad this game is online required, hopefully that will be enough to stop all the shit that went on D2.

LordCanti

I don't think normal monsters will, progression will be limited by bosses for sure, and with the fact bosses have enrage timers this around it's not gonna be possible to exploit them. Sure someone could figure out the pattern of a boss perfect and never be hot, but if they aren't doing enough a damage they are just gonna lose anyway.

I think co-op is going to be essential. Even if it means more HP for the boss, those revives are going to be necessary to take down some of the bosses.

(In Inferno specifically)

Svafnir

I think co-op is going to be essential. Even if it means more HP for the boss, those revives are going to be necessary to take down some of the bosses.

(In Inferno specifically)

Will help, but I think the cast time is a good balance. Going 10 seconds without being hit from a boss is going to be difficult in inferno if you are just standing around. (I am guessing on the 10 seconds, not sure how long it takes)

Perhaps in 4 player it might be easier to res group members in a boss fight. Hard to speculate right now though ~.~

Fugu

No you are not making a big deal out of nothing, it's a legit gripe. Hope these idiots don't beat you down bro. But stories like yours makes me glad this game is online required, hopefully that will be enough to stop all the shit that went on D2.
You and me both. I'm going to get some sleep so I can go script kiddie hunting in the morning.

LordCanti

Does anyone know if the starter edition opens up at midnight PDT along with the digital version? I could get through the monotony of the Skeleton King run at least, and then go back to sleep :p

Co-op is not going to happen until one of my characters hits Nightmare difficulty.

I can respect that. Getting four people on board to watch all the cut scenes would be tough the first time around.

(If that isn't your concern, then I digress)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You should just find one buddy (who cares about exploring everything, reading the dialogs, watching the cinematics) and go through normal with him :3 That's what I'm doing.

Twinduct

You should just find one buddy (who cares about exploring everything, reading the dialogs, watching the cinematics) and go through normal with him :3 That's what I'm doing.

Might do that with my second char :p

Can't wait to bring Strong Tits the female barb into new Tristam!

Yoshichan

Might do that with my second char :p

Can't wait to bring Strong Tits the female barb into new Tristam!
Female barb for sure?! Wow, I thought I was the only one :_:

Yoshichan

Any chance they'll up the co-op to 8 player later on? Pvp lobbies are going to suck if capped at 4. :\
There will be no PvP-lobbies, there will be arenas in Diablo 3 and there are 1v1s, 2s, 3s and 4s.

Yoshichan

Yeah! I love it when a game doesn't go the standard fair when it comes to female counter parts. Female Barb should not look like a victory secrets model :p

Plus I love redheads heh.
I'm not particularly fond of how the female barb looks as-well, but I do feel that it's refreshing to play a class+gender combo that is unique. I've always wanted to be that guy in WoW - where I now dress as ugly as possible so that people give me attention for being unique :3

ZIqCf.png

LordCanti

See, but then you don't get to experience the followers and their banter as much if you do it that way.

I've had more than enough of that during the beta:

"How are criminals treated in your lands?"
"We give them a trial, and then exile them."
"That's funny. In my order we just execute them."

At least on mumble you might get to hear some singing and witty banter.

Firemind

The female barbarian has a cavewoman voice while the male barbarian has a dignified voice for some reason. At least both the monks sound East European.

Balehead

Yeah! I love it when a game doesn't go the standard fair when it comes to female counter parts. Female Barb should not look like a victory secrets model :p

Plus I love redheads heh.

I was amazed when I saw the female barbarian, for once a female character that looks like it has a chance to defend herself. Props to blizz for that one.

Yoshichan

See, but then you don't get to experience the followers and their banter as much if you do it that way.
I didn't think of this actually! Thankfully I personally am not interested enough in their banters so I think I'll do the right choice playing with a buddy the first time through :3!

Twinduct

I'm not particularly fond of how the female barb looks as-well, but I do feel that it's refreshing to play a class+gender combo that is unique. I've always wanted to be that guy in WoW - where I now dress as ugly as possible so that people give me attention for being unique :3

ZIqCf.png

Lol those feet lol. Gonna dye everything pink! The wrath of Princess Strong Tits shall bare memory!

I was amazed when I saw the female barbarian, for once a female character that looks like it has a chance to defend herself. Props to blizz for that one.

Yep! I was actually worried when it first announce that it would be some skinny DH looking girly wielding a massive axe!

V_Arnold

Duping isn't really a real problem on Diablo 2, either. In fact, it hasn't existed in any repeatable form for a large number of years, and current duping methods rely on a shotgun approach that produces temporary items that must be further exploited (inserted into other items, as in the case of runes, or rerolled, as in the case of uniques) to make them permanent. What is a real problem (as previously mentioned) is botting, which is also a real problem in World of Warcraft; it is only subdued because World of Warcraft's game design makes bots less relevant (BoE/BoP gear, the fact that the game's best items can't be bought with gold, etc.). As well, World of Warcraft is beginning to develop a multi boxing problem, which has similar ramifications to TPPK.

I do not want to just blindly oppose you, so sorry if it might seem that way, but botting in World of Warcraft is largely possible because of the simple nature of the game interface. If you are using a heartstone, move along a set of predetermined distances, you will reach your destination, and you can just repeat this process. Up till this point, you needed no data to be analyzed, just blindly give inputs to the client. Now, you are at the point of farm: you just hit TAB, which targets the monster automatically - again, no input needed, just a simple check. Then you hit an attack - if no monster is targeted, the attack fails, so you move around almost randomly in a predetermined circle. Then you do the basic framework of a battle, inputting the usual rotation. Then repeat. Then repeat.

What I am getting at is that in WoW (and in most MMO's) you can set up a bot with very, very little feedback needed. Diablo III is nowhere near this in complexity. I know bots existed in D2 and still do, but we need to make a meeting point between these assumptions:

-Bad security, easy to rig battle system (an MMO with bad security)
-Bad security, harder to rig battle system (Diablo 2)
-Good security, easy to rig battle system (WoW)
-Good security(?), harder to rig battle system (Diablo 3).

I can totally see why D3 will be the game to stay relatively clean for a long, long time.

Yoshichan

Just got another call from a childhood friend. He explained to me that he broke up with his girlfriend because she simply didn't understand that he wanted quality time with the game when it gets released. Apparantly his attention-whore-of-a-girlfriend finds it hard to give him some private time. It's fucking ridiculous.

That's the second relationship I've seen go down the drain for this game... it's crazy.

Yoshichan

If he tries to find random people on the forums for the world first achievement, he will fail. You need a consistent, static, dedicated group (you should've preferably known them for quite some time as-well)!

Yeah, that group is going to fail.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Shopto have charged my account and are getting ready to dispatch :p

oneils

...The short version is that because of such a prolific cheating population, I will probably lose my spot at the top of the Amazon ladder. I have held my position for nearly nine days (the ladder was reset on May 2nd), and I have done it without ever cheating; I've accomplished that by putting in a huge amount of time and effort to play my character. But nine days is nothing for a bot, and my accomplishment will be worthless in a short time from now. I will likely be leaving Diablo 2 knowing that my attempts to play my favourite game of all time at my best was entirely squandered by someone who downloaded a script, and I can't help but think of how important it is that Blizzard be vigilant at preventing cheaters from taking over Diablo 3 like they have Diablo 2. If they can't make botting a thing of the past, then all of the work that they'll have done on the game will be irrelevant. For players who like to see some sort of tangible indication of their accomplishment -- a group which make up a significant percentage of those that play RPGs online and which includes this poster -- allowing cheaters to proliferate completely destroys any purpose to playing the game. And that bites.

Looks like cheating will be harder. However they also got rid of the ladder. So I wonder if there will be any type of ranking system for hardcore players. I also wonder if there will be an armory similar to wow for us to easily examine other players.

Yoshichan

Yep! I was actually worried when it first announce that it would be some skinny DH looking girly wielding a massive axe!
I would personally prefer something along with this (not necessarily a princess, but not ugly either!)

Realyn

If he tries to find random people on the forums for the world first achievement, he will fail. You need a consistent, static, dedicated group (you should've preferably known them for quite some time as-well)!

Well .. he has found one.
Will have no real-life obligations (cell phone = off)
Very focused and attentive
Willing to play whatever class suits you
Have played all classes to 13 on beta
Will have healthy food pre-cooked and ready to eat at the computer

I would consider myself pretty damn undercore, but those people ... those people.

edit: Don't know if anyone of you is playing poker as a hobby/for a living. Thinking of it - prolly not so much in the US.
Well anyway. Stuff like wf's aren't much different to playing a marathon session of poker. You'll need your brain fresh and your mindset is frikkin important. Those guy's OP with 72-96 hours ist just laughable.

LordCanti

I'm just going to weep for hours on end until UPS finally arrives with my CE. Unless Blizzard capitulates and allows refunds on the the digital edition for CE purchasers.

Any hardcore run would come way later, after I'm comfortable with the boss mechanics. Even then...one lag spike and it's over...I don't know if I can do it.

Yoshichan

Well .. he has found one.
Aaaaaand that guy is probably not gonna be as undercore as he thinks he will be. The human body is weak - we're good at talking but as soon as we're about to prove it, we shit the bed.

edit: not saying that guy probably won't do well in hardcore btw! Just sayin' you need more than just four "dedicated nerds" to get world first HC. You need a plan, extremely good coordination, consistency, planning and synergy.

Raide

Pretty much this.

"Yoshi, attack now!....Yoshi? YOSHI FFS ARE YOU SLEEPING ON UBER DIABLO?"

ZZZzzzzzzZZzz.

LowParry

I'm just going to weep for hours on end until UPS finally arrives with my CE. Unless Blizzard capitulates and allows refunds on the the digital edition for CE purchasers.

Any hardcore run would come way later, after I'm comfortable with the boss mechanics. Even then...one lag spike and it's over...I don't know if I can do it.

I'm just rolling with my CE and keeping my digital. What I do with the CE I'm not sure on yet. But I'll have it at least.

Yoshichan

But she's still too small! I just like my heroes to be realistic :p
I mean she's not fat, that shit is pure strength mass. aka no glamour muscles :p
I guess I'll just get used to it!
Pretty much this.

"Yoshi, attack now!....Yoshi? YOSHI FFS ARE YOU SLEEPING ON UBER DIABLO?"

ZZZzzzzzzZZzz.
Oh God, did you just foresee the future?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom