• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

That stat video is very very interesting. Everyone really should watch that. Makes you wonder if you'll see Barbs max out int, then finish off with str for pure tanking purposes.

LordCanti

That stat video is very very interesting. Everyone really should watch that. Makes you wonder if you'll see Barbs max out int, then finish off with str for pure tanking purposes.

Why would a barb want to max int when str reduces damage (through higher armor) and gives them more DPS?

I miss when Blizzard would unlock games at midnight est to play. They did this midnight pst bullshit when Cataclysm launched and with Starcraft as well. I just want to play a tiny bit before I sleep.

I'm sure it's them giving a nod to retailers. If the game isn't available to play till midnight, the retailers have a chance to do midnight launches (no matter what time zone).

Weenerz

Banned
I miss when Blizzard would unlock games at midnight est to play. They did this midnight pst bullshit when Cataclysm launched and with Starcraft as well. I just want to play a tiny bit before I sleep.

injurai

Banned
I would buy D3 on PS3 just to support Blizzard but I still think it's moronic to port it to consoles.

I couldn't imagine how awful it would be playing the harder difficulties on console.

My prediction is that they remove Inferno and HC mode to prevent suicides of young gamers everywhere.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yup and if you guys enjoy Kripparrians work then I would recommend you subscribing to his channel since he'll upload a lot of important stuff once the game is out.

Valnen

I couldn't imagine how awful it would be playing the harder difficulties on console.

My prediction is that they remove Inferno and HC mode to prevent suicides of young gamers everywhere.

If this is on consoles it will have everything intact, and console players will probably play on the same battle.net as everyone else. Blizzard knows anything less would be worthless.

JimmyBoy

ok, sorry for my ignorance but just had a questions.

is there really no choice being made when you lvl as far as where you are distributing "points" or "skills"? i still had a ton of fun playing and having it pre-ordered, but this just seems like a drastic change, i guess in the face of mmo's and modern rpg tropes.

I think someone said they did the math and there's actually more room for options/customization but i can't find the link anywhere.

scy

Man, this kind of positive reaction to a mechanics video makes me think that I should have been doing videos instead of random forum posts for all my math :x

LowParry

Why would a barb want to max int when str reduces damage (through higher armor) and gives them more DPS?

Because int give resist which is also a armor mod (I think it was said that int gives armor to melee and magic damage reductions while str is just melee. I may have misheard). Dex also gives dodge. I'm rather curious how it will play out in the end with gear specifics.

scy

How anyone can play for 120 hours straight goes beyond me

I'd like to have the option to do that. Not that I'd actually try it (...maybe) but I'd love having no responsibilities so I could think about just gaming 5 days straight.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's his choice guys, if he thinks he'll be able to do it then he'll do it. I think he's well aware of the consequences.

Alienups

4diea.gif

scy

Because int give resist which is also a armor mod (I think it was said that int gives armor to melee and magic damage reductions while str is just melee. I may have misheard). Dex also gives dodge. I'm rather curious how it will play out in the end with gear specifics.

Resists reduce damage from magic; Armor reduces damage period.

mbmonk

Man, this kind of positive reaction to a mechanics video makes me think that I should have been doing videos instead of random forum posts for all my math :x

You can do random forum post filled with math. Dilemma solved!

original.jpg

Saturday Night Live reference. I am not trying to be a butt :)

Kiraly

I'd like to have the option to do that. Not that I'd actually try it (...maybe) but I'd love having no responsibilities so I could think about just gaming 5 days straight.

I'd like to have the option to physically do it, but neither of us have.

injurai

Banned
I think Kripp has the best idea of get first Inferno clear. Long sessions with a good night sleep, everything else is abusing the system and using superior knowledge to best the masses.

Also I'm excited to see Athene pull of all his claims. I think this will be his biggest challenge yet, as leveling doesn't work in quite the same way as it does in wow.

Yoshichan

Yeah Athene definitely screwed himself over with the hyperbole.

zlatko

Banned
It's his choice guys, if he thinks he'll be able to do it then he'll do it. I think he's well aware of the consequenses.

Knowing about the consequences and actually THINKING it through are two different things.

Someone with a solid head on their shoulders wouldn't do this.

LowParry

Ah, he mentions that int/resist has a higher value than str when converted to armor value early on. So by end game, it probably evens out.

scy

I'd like to have the option to physically do it, but neither of us have.

If nothing else, I'd like the option to have been a part of these shots at world first or something. Guess it's just my memories of enjoying those runs years ago.

forrest

formerly nacire

I'm thinking Athene will have lots of people giving him gear as well as buying as much gear as possible. I'm also wondering if he will find a way to exploit experience gains. I know he is definitely looking as he doesn't care about how he gets there, he just wants to get there first.

V_Arnold

Not joking around here guys, but I need to share this.

I rested my class decision on the almighty d10 that I had ever since...well, around 2000, 2001. 1-2 B, 3-4 DH, 5-6 M, 7-8 Wit, 9-0 Wiz.

Threw the dice, knowing that I will be a wizard anyway.
The result: 0.
Then, for the fun of it, threw the dice one more time.
The result: again, a 0.

Two throws. There are no clearer ways at this moment for me to recognize that I will have the most fun with Wizard. So that is about it :)

Yoshichan

I think Athene and his group has a good chance to get world first 60.
World first 60? Absolutely. World first inferno clear AND world first lvl60 HC though? No chance in living hell. Kripparrian and his team has no intentions on becoming world first 60.

injurai

Banned

He set 3 world first goals that he would do in succession.

First lvl 60
First Inferno Clear
First HC Inferno Clear

Unlike WoW where levels from 70-80 or 80-85, he is going 1-60.
Then he has to clear Inferno, which for all we know is near impossible and might take weeks.

Then he has to do that on HC. That means he needs to play the game 8 times through, over a really long period of time.

Like damn, he has one hell of a journey ahead of him.

LordCanti

Is there any way to verify world firsts in this game, or are these people just out to make a claim that no one can verify? Some random guy could go without sleep and be first to 60, and no one would ever know about it if he didn't brag all over the internet, unless there is some way to verify it.

Ah, he mentions that int/resist has a higher value than str when converted to armor value early on. So by end game, it probably evens out.

Well, you can't actively choose what to put points into, so it's not a huge deal. If you hit a STR wall where each additional STR isn't that much additional damage reduction, I guess you could get some INT gear for a quick and dirty boost. In the long run the good barb gear isn't likely to have any +Int at all though.

Resists reduce damage from magic; Armor reduces damage period.

It's been mentioned that physical resist is also a thing. I did not pay enough attention to be able to verify this, but it would seem to indicate resists for all possible damage types.

Kiraly

He's a gamer... so I imagine not.

There's only one undercore enough MOFO I know who could do a 5 day binge and live, but even Yoshi is not immune to hemroids.

I think hemroids will be the slightest of problems if you're playing for 5 days straight.

scy

Well, you can't actively choose what to put points into, so it's not a huge deal. If you hit a STR wall where each additional STR isn't that much additional damage reduction, I guess you could get some INT gear for a quick and dirty boost. In the long run the good barb gear isn't likely to have any +Int at all though.

But is switching to INT worth not getting the +1% Damage per STR?!

Honestly, I'd say you're looking at DR to plateau and accepting that; look to min/maxing damage output and resistances within that DR limitation rather than finding ways to squeeze out more DR.

It's been mentioned that physical resist is also a thing. I did not pay enough attention to be able to verify this, but it would seem to indicate resists for all possible damage types.

True. I guess I should've said Resists reduce damage from their type.

Yoshichan

I have a feeling he will be the "Epicnamebro" of the Diablo III universe.
Yeah, those two put up really detailed videos on Youtube :3
Like damn, he has one hell of a journey ahead of him.
And I'm willing to bet anything that he's not gonna be able to achieve all three goals. Athene is scared this time-around because he knows this isn't WoW anymore.
? Some random guy could go without sleep and be first to 60
This is where you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom