• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burger

OSX 10.7.3
2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo,
4 gigs of 1067Mhz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Running in 1280:800 all low with a sub 30 FPS.

It's playable of course, and never dropped to unplayable, but when I was looking at my friends power rig, the game looked sooo good and soooo smooth

You could try bootcamp (as I am with similar specs) but the final build is supposed to perform better than the beta).

Naito

OSX 10.7.3
2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo,
4 gigs of 1067Mhz DDR3

It's playable of course, and never dropped to unplayable, but when I was looking at my friends power rig, the game looked sooo good and soooo smooth

Mine is slightly better, guess I can't be too pretentious and I can bare with it for some days (new rig not coming in time for DIII's release is such a letdown, but meh).

LowParry

So DiabloFans has a shit load of new info up. Some you'll probably want to avoid all together (Boss Stats, Achievements) but the rest like item affixes and such are a great look at.

LordCanti

I couldn't help myself, so I watched a CE unboxing video.

Quick question: Are guest passes the same thing as the starter edition on battle.net? If they're an unlimited pass to play the game for a set amount of hours or something, that could solve my problems quite nicely.

If it's the same as the starter edition...meh.

So DiabloFans has a shit load of new info up. Some you'll probably want to avoid all together (Boss Stats, Achievements) but the rest like item affixes and such are a great look at.

Nope. Nope nope nope.

Raide

zlatko

Banned
I couldn't help myself, so I watched a CE unboxing video.

Quick question: Are guest passes the same thing as the starter edition on battle.net? If they're an unlimited pass to play the game for a set amount of hours or something, that could solve my problems quite nicely.

If it's the same as the starter edition...meh.

If it's guest pass like SC2 had, it gave you access to the whole game, but once you used up the time, you were locked out of all of it.

TUSR

Banned
OSX 10.7.3
2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo,
4 gigs of 1067Mhz DDR3

Bootcamp that, it will run just fine.

LordCanti

If it's guest pass like SC2 had, it gave you access to the whole game, but once you used up the time, you were locked out of all of it.

If it's the same as SC2, I hereby pledge every last one of my guest passes to GAF if someone that got delivery of the CE early is willing to give me a guest pass.

I'm googling in search of answers, but I can't find any. Are there any pictures of those guest passes up on any of the spoiler filled sites I refuse to visit?

scy

Oh, you were being sarcastic..

I should've been more obvious; there are a bunch of people who probably do think along the lines of that article. At most, I understand people not liking the removal of the planning of builds and, as a heavy min/maxer, I do sympathize on that since that's some of the great fun of building characters for me. That said, having _more options_ that I can go through is even more fun than that. No long-term planning and hoping things pan out but more short-term thorough min/maxing. It's like a win/win to me.

You could try bootcamp (as I am with similar specs) but the final build is supposed to perform better than the beta).

I really can't bootcamp : Diablo 3 will already take too much place.

I trust blizzard : Diablo is running worse than SC2 for now but the later drop insanely fast. And they did increase perf for mac after SC2 release.

So maybe it's worse now but I feel that it will be more stable

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Still arguing on whether to buy the game or not. What is wrong about the Kotaku text? I have no clue. Its factually wrong that every player of a certain class will have the same skill sets?

zlatko

Banned
If it's the same as SC2, I hereby pledge every last one of my guest passes to GAF if someone that got delivery of the CE early is willing to give me a guest pass.

I'm googling in search of answers, but I can't find any. Are there any pictures of those guest passes up on any of the spoiler filled sites I refuse to visit?

Fairly certain normal editions come with passes too. SC2 did anyway. Had guest passes for SC2 and WoW inside.

The Chef

Yeah, I have one of those small ass mice at work. I basically crush the thing if I try palming it. Using it is such a hassle that I just brought an extra mouse from home for use.
0oXWD.png

Thats exactly what mine is like. Ahhh OK, so Gaf, good mouse on Amazon? Maybe in the $30 range or so.

scy

Still arguing on whether to buy the game or not. What is wrong about the Kotaku text? I have no clue. Its factually wrong that every player will have the same skill sets?

Basically everything. Well, sort of. I mean, yes, stats are automatically distributed on level-up and there are no skill trees. This doesn't somehow shatter build variation or anything of the sort. It essentially moves "planning a character build" from the front-end to over the course of your character. That is, you don't need to know precisely what you want to make at the start of the character. You can adjust on the fly as your playstyle changes or "shit, that ability is actually pretty cool." It's more freedom in the build design process.

small mice > big mice

The mouse I took a shot of is smaller than my palm. I fucking dwarf that thing. I have the weirdest claw grip for it just so I can actually use it lol.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Basically everything. Well, sort of. I mean, yes, stats are automatically distributed on level-up and there are no skill trees. This doesn't somehow shatter build variation or anything of the sort. It essentially moves "planning a character build" from the front-end to over the course of your character. That is, you don't need to know precisely what you want to make at the start of the character. You can adjust on the fly as your playstyle changes or "shit, that ability is actually pretty cool." It's more freedom in the build design process.

If the points are distributed automatically and no skill trees, how are you adjusting your skills on the fly then?

LordCanti

I'm quickly learning that it's impossible to get any answers to important questions on the blizzard forums.

If the points are distributed automatically and no skill trees, how are you adjusting your skills on the fly then?

Runes. You switch abilities/runes and your build completely changes.

Dresden

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

should be obvious, no? I mean, I was pretty down on D3 and I hadn't followed its development at all, but when I saw the skill calculator and started playing around with it, my hype went through the roof. It's . . . elegant. It rewards experimentation. And the Valor buff at sixty means it also rewards people for locking down a build they find comfortable.

Toma

Runes. You switch abilities/runes and your build completely changes.

Hmmm, and you keep just finding better ones over the course of the game? Or level up their abilities automatically? Somehow missed that part entirely.

scy

You have six categories of skills that you can freely swap out (with Elective Mode, the "category" part is thrown out so it's any six skills you want to use). Each skill has six runes that change how they function. You're free to just change them as you see fit.

Stats are automagically allocated, sure, but you're still gear dependent. That'll be the majority of your everything you get. Honestly, Diablo 2's stat system was essentially "STR to meet min req, DEX to meet min req, VIT otherwise, lol Energy." Somehow that translates to meaningful decisions, I guess.

For Inferno difficulty, you're rewarded for sticking to a build via the Nephalem Valor system. There's still something in there for finding the "right" build rather than having a bunch of situation-based right builds.

So even if I pre-ordered a physical copy (Collector's Edition, if that matters) I can download the US client in the opening and be good to go? I'll just need the disk to verify proof of purchase? I won't have to install anything come May 15th?

Sorry if this has been asked 666 times.

LordCanti

Hmmm, and you keep just finding better ones over the course of the game? Or level up their abilities automatically? Somehow missed that part entirely.

You don't find them, they just unlock as you level. When you count how many abilities there are, and then multiply by how many runes there are per ability, it's a pretty staggeringly high number.

When you level, you don't get to put points into anything.

So even if I pre-ordered a physical copy (Collector's Edition, if that matters) I can download the US client in the opening and be good to go? I'll just need the disk to verify proof of purchase? I won't have to install anything come May 15th?

Sorry if this has been asked 666 times.

No, not without the key. Hence my issue that I've been whining complaining about for pages.

Edit: re-reading, if you don't mean to actually play the game at midnight, then yes, you don't have to install anything from the discs. Also, a key verifies the purchase, not the discs.

Ah alright. And I guess you find better runes, which then make your skills better?

Also: How does the valor system work?

LordCanti said:
You don't find them, they just unlock as you level

Toma

You have six categories of skills that you can freely swap out (with Elective Mode, the "category" part is thrown out so it's any six skills you want to use). Each skill has six runes that change how they function. You're free to just change them as you see fit.

Stats are automagically allocated, sure, but you're still gear dependent. That'll be the majority of your everything you get. Honestly, Diablo 2's stat system was essentially "STR to meet min req, DEX to meet min req, VIT otherwise, lol Energy." Somehow that translates to meaningful decisions, I guess.

For Inferno difficulty, you're rewarded for sticking to a build via the Nephalem Valor system. There's still something in there for finding the "right" build rather than having a bunch of situation-based right builds.

You don't find them, they just unlock as you level. When you count how many abilities there are, and then multiply by how many runes there are per ability, it's a pretty staggeringly high number.

When you level, you don't get to put points into anything.

Ah alright. And I guess you find better runes, which then make your skills better?

No, not without the key. Hence my issue that I've been whining complaining about for pages.

Edit: re-reading, if you don't mean to actually play the game at midnight, then yes, you don't have to install anything from the discs.
Yeah, I'm fine with waiting until UPS drops off my package. I just don't want to have to wait on the install once it finally does arrive.

Sweet. Going to install the game right now.

I assume it'll ask for a product key (included in the box/on the disc?) when it's done installing, right?

LordCanti

Yeah, I'm fine with waiting until UPS drops off my package. I just don't want to have to wait on the install once it finally does arrive.

Sweet. Going to install the game right now.

I assume it'll ask for a product key (included in the box/on the disc?) when it's done installing, right?

You can download the client right now (7.6gb or so), but you can't install it. It won't let you install until the 14th at 8am (thanks Valnen).

You'll enter the key on battle.net I think. I'm not sure if the client itself will ask for a key.

stabwound

Neo Member
I would be wary if if my computer only ran the game at <30fps playable on low settings in the beta. Judging by the gameplay clips we've seen, later acts and difficulties start getting pretty insane with the number of enemies and effects on screen.

If possible it might be worth upgrading video cards, I think.

Valnen

You can download the client right now, but you can't install it. It won't let you install until the 14th at like 8pm or something (someone else can provide the exact time hopefully).

You'll enter the key on battle.net I think. I'm not sure if the client itself will ask for a key.

8 AM PDT.

Toma

Different is a better descriptor to be honest, they change the affect (e.g. One might add damage, the other knockback, the other a heal) and you can tailor them to the way you play (or tailor the way you play to the rune).

So you'll still find the same runes 20 hours into the game? The one rune adding heal 20 hours into the game wont make your skill better than the one you found 1 hour into the game?

zlatko

Banned
So why has Yoshi stopped posting these last few hours? I didn't get the memo he was going to sleep.

My undercore brother in arms return to me sooooooooooooon~!

You can download the client right now, but you can't install it. It won't let you install until the 14th at like 8pm or something (someone else can provide the exact time hopefully).

Oh, ok. Gotcha.

Thanks!

scy

I don't think we have exacts (e.g., numbers) but Nephalem Valor is a stacking buff you get for killing Champions, Uniques, Bosses, etc. enemies. This bonus is lost if you leave the game or if you change your current skills (e.g., swap out a skill for another or select a different rune).

Edit: Forgot to actually say the "what" it does. It increases your Magic Find% and Gold Find% so you get better items and more gold when you kill things. It also just gives you more loot period.

Basically, the system is that all level 60 characters of a certain class will have the same stats and toolbox. Your diversity is in your equipment (which will be 90%+ of your "stats" anyway) and your skills you're using. The skill combinations are somewhere in the upper millions, I believe. Essentially, Blizzard moved your final build planning from the start of the game to the end of the game. It's no longer front-loaded.

Junie12

So why has Yoshi stopped posting these last few hours? I didn't get the memo he was going to sleep.

My undercore brother in arms return to me sooooooooooooon~!

I just checked the who posted list and Yoshi has 300 more posts than the 2nd poster on the list..

Jesus O-O

LordCanti

So you'll still find the same runes 20 hours into the game? The one rune adding heal 20 hours into the game wont make your skill better than the one you found 1 hour into the game?

You don't find the runes. They automatically show up on the skill selection page when you level up. Everyone gets the same ones at the same level (if they are the same class).

I like the sound of that generally, though losing the buff by leaving the game is a bit... meh. people "devoted" will just have their PC's running 24/7 then I guess.

The server will kick you for inactivity eventually. I'm not sure, but I'd assume the buff goes away when you get kicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom