• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't think we have exacts (e.g., numbers) but Nephalem Valor is a stacking buff you get for killing Champions, Uniques, Bosses, etc. enemies. This bonus is lost if you leave the game or if you change your current skills (e.g., swap out a skill for another or select a different rune).

Basically, the system is that all level 60 characters of a certain class will have the same stats and toolbox. Your diversity is in your equipment (which will be 90%+ of your "stats" anyway) and your skills you're using. The skill combinations are somewhere in the upper millions, I believe. Essentially, Blizzard moved your final build planning from the start of the game to the end of the game. It's no longer front-loaded.

I like the sound of that generally, though losing the buff by leaving the game is a bit... meh. people "devoted" will just have their PC's running 24/7 then I guess.

scy

I like the sound of that generally, though losing the buff by leaving the game is a bit... meh. people "devoted" will just have their PC's running 24/7 then I guess.

Well, monsters don't respawn so you're eventually forced to leave the game :x I think it's also a timed buff anyway.

I assume you haven't played Diablo 2? "In-game" is more like creating a room that people can join. It's not like an MMO with a persistent world kind of thing.

It's also a timed buff (I think they said 15 minutes), so leaving your PC on wouldn't help much.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well, monsters don't respawn so you're eventually forced to leave the game :x I think it's also a timed buff anyway.

I assume you haven't played Diablo 2? "In-game" is more like creating a room that people can join. It's not like an MMO with a persistent world kind of thing.

Hm, makes sense. Well I played D2 a few times. But I would have thought that you could play through all acts with that buff if you never change equipment basically. But who knows, maybe you can activate it fast/easy enough again.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Undercore as fuuuuck.

Post the list up! I'm hoping I'm off the wall now. :p

Hardground was here, undercore is bitch status.

I have the F5 disease on my amazon orders page. Need to see that glorious "Shipping Soon" order status.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So you'll still find the same runes 20 hours into the game? The one rune adding heal 20 hours into the game wont make your skill better than the one you found 1 hour into the game?

Runes are skill modifiers. Let's say you unlock a skill at level 8, at 14 or so you may get the skills first (of 5) runes, changing it to, for instance, add fire damage that burns for a few seconds. At 22 you may get that same skill's second rune, which leeches life every time you use it. Now at level 22 you have that same skill in 3 different flavors, which you can change as you like. Later on you'll get a few more runes and thus more options for how you want that skill to act. This applies to all active skills in the game, so there's tons of options and variety, even within simply deciding which rune/version of a skill you like.

Ferrio

Banned
Just another warning/reminder.

You should really have a blizzard authenticator for this game. Either an IOS/Android version, or the actual physical generator. There's going to be *alot* of hacked accounts, and you don't want to be one of them. Your password, no matter how complex it is, isn't safe.

zlatko

Banned
Roughly 10% of the posts in this 5000+ post thread are by Yoshi...

Wow.

The girth of his epeen is massive. It can blot out the sun.

Yet oddly he is missing and usually says when he will scoot off to sleep.

YOSHI ARE YOU OKAY!? Please post if you are okay!

Hm, makes sense. Well I played D2 a few times. But I would have thought that you could play through all acts with that buff if you never change equipment basically. But who knows, maybe you can activate it fast/easy enough again.

You probably can, as the point is to get people to play through the entirety of Acts rather than just boss runs. It didn't take long to come across an elite in part 1 of Act 1 in the beta on Normal.

Junie12

I am glad I am not on the list. Trying to keep my crazy undercore until launch day.

I could only imagine how crazy this thread will get when the game launches, especially if the servers won't work on launch. Oh the rage that we'll see in this thread..

Raide

You should really have a blizzard authenticator for this game. Either an IOS/Android version, or the actual physical generator. There's going to be *alot* of hacked accounts, and you don't want to be one of them. You're password, no matter how complex isn't safe.

After having my WoW account hacked, I invested in an Authenticator...best idea ever.

I could only imagine how crazy this thread will get when the game launches, especially if the servers won't work on launch. Oh the rage that we'll see in this thread..

I bet the Blizzard forums will start to get real salty.

Tacitus_

Based on what the devs have said, the buff will have a timer on it (refreshes at a new stack gain, I'd guess). They said that the idea with it is "go stack the buff to max stacks by killing stuff and then go kill an unique boss". They also said you'd maybe go do a couple of bosses without the buff dropping if you'd plan properly.

injurai

Banned
So why has Yoshi stopped posting these last few hours? I didn't get the memo he was going to sleep.

My undercore brother in arms return to me sooooooooooooon~!

I fear I am dropping of the wall of shame, I must bring more shame to my undercore name!!!

LordCanti

The girth of his epeen is massive. It can blot out the sun.

Yet oddly he is missing and usually says when he will scoot off to sleep.

YOSHI ARE YOU OKAY!? Please post if you are okay!

If you love him...set him free

to sleep for the two or three hours he seems to get a day.

zlatko

Banned

Yoshi's post count will go from 10% total to 50% total as he will take on multiple personas to bicker with himself and selves over the servers being down.

With the buff for MF it makes you wonder if it is viable to have any mf gear or just play inferno/hell with the most powerful gear so you can get the buff stacked faster

scy

Incidentally, I just noticed I said six runes per skill. It's five. I can't count.

So you'll still find the same runes 20 hours into the game? The one rune adding heal 20 hours into the game wont make your skill better than the one you found 1 hour into the game?

Let me give you a more tangible example. Fist of Thunder is the first of four "Primary" Skills that a Monk gets. It's Level 1 so you start the game with it. There are five runes:

Thunderclap - Teleport to the target and release a small shockwave that deals 35% Weapon Damage as Lightning Elemental to everything within 6 yards.
Req Level: 6

Lightning Flash - +16% to your chance to Dodge for 2 seconds.
Req Level: 14

Static Charge - The first target will take 37% Weapon Damage as Lightning Elemental when you hit other enemies with Fist of Thunder.
Req Level: 30

Quickening - Critical Hits give you +15 Spirit.
Req Level: 42

Bounding Light - Every third hit releases a Chain Lightning instead of causing Knockback. The lightning deals 73% Weapon Damage.
Req Level: 52

So your Fist of Thunder Skill can use any of those that you've unlocked (but just one at a time). The same applies to the other 3 Primary Skills which all have five different Runes with their own level unlock requirements. And all Monks will have those no matter what. There's a total of 21 skills and each with 5 Runes to choose from for your 6 skill slots.

Ah alright. And I guess you find better runes, which then make your skills better?

Also: How does the valor system work?

And I guess you find better runes, which then make your skills better?
Runes customize your skill. There are 5 per skill. They unlock one by one as you level up to 60. However, just because a rune unlocks at level 40, doesn't mean its better than a rune that unlocks at level 20. Your skill, rune, and gear choices will all be interrelated. You might want a rune that adds knockback and stun to a skill, while another person just wants to reduce its cost.

mbmonk

You should really have a blizzard authenticator for this game. Either an IOS/Android version, or the actual physical generator. There's going to be *alot* of hacked accounts, and you don't want to be one of them. Your password, no matter how complex isn't safe.

Why do you say this? Because of the RMAH?

profit

I got a just got my new mouse from Amazon. I looked at the package twice to see if I ordered a laptop mouse on accident. Feels like a golf ball in my hand. :/

Wireless_Mouse_M305_red.png

Guess I will use this as a portable on and get a big kid size mouse as well.

Yeah, thats a laptop mouse, I have the exact same one for my laptop.

DPsygnet

I actually expect server crashes and i will be raging right here, with other sleep deprived Gaffers.

scy

That's basically the idea, actually. They want you to run through the entire game (or an entire Act) with it to get better drops instead of "enter game, kill Mephisto, leave game, enter game, kill Mephisto, leave game, etc."

You should really have a blizzard authenticator for this game. Either an IOS/Android version, or the actual physical generator. There's going to be *alot* of hacked accounts, and you don't want to be one of them. Your password, no matter how complex it is, isn't safe.

Thanks for that Ferrio. I've been meaning to do that for a while but forgot. Just added to my account.

Kiraly

For people without a smartphone nor physical authenticator, there is winauth (a Windows-based authenticator). I don't know however about the added security with this of an already compromised PC?

zlatko

Banned
I think I will be ordering an authenticator, no sense in having your account insecure.

Dial in one is free if you are broke like myself.

Think of the authenticator folks as just a flu shot. Small little prick/inconvienece that leads to protection from assholes. :D

Toma

Incidentally, I just noticed I said six runes per skill. It's five. I can't count.

Let me give you a more tangible example. Fist of Thunder is the first of four "Primary" Skills that a Monk gets. It's Level 1 so you start the game with it. There are five runes:

Thunderclap - Teleport to the target and release a small shockwave that deals 35% Weapon Damage as Lightning Elemental to everything within 6 yards.
Req Level: 6

Lightning Flash - +16% to your chance to Dodge for 2 seconds.
Req Level: 14

Static Charge - The first target will take 37% Weapon Damage as Lightning Elemental when you hit other enemies with Fist of Thunder.
Req Level: 30

Quickening - Critical Hits give you +15 Spirit.
Req Level: 42

Bounding Light - Every third hit releases a Chain Lightning instead of causing Knockback. The lightning deals 73% Weapon Damage.
Req Level: 52

So your Fist of Thunder Skill can use any of those that you've unlocked (but just one at a time). The same applies to the other 3 Primary Skills which all have five different Runes with their own level unlock requirements. And all Monks will have those no matter what. There's a total of 21 skills and each with 5 Runes to choose from for your 6 skill slots.

Thanks all for explaining. Makes me feel a bit more at ease now. Seems the system isnt as bad thought out as some make it out to be. Still is to be seen how much I enjoy the difference to D2, but I guess there is no other way to find out other than to try.

injurai

Banned
For people without a smartphone nor physical authenticator, there is winauth (a Windows-based authenticator). I don't know however about the added security with this of an already compromised PC?

Wait, so assuming this third party group has reversed engineered the code generation, and now you authenticator seed is available on your computer. This sounds like an awful way to secure your account. No thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom