• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
Dial in one is free if you are broke like myself.

Think of the authenticator folks as just a flu shot. Small little prick/inconvienece that leads to protection from assholes. :D

Unless they've changed it, having to use one every single time you login becomes a huge pain very quickly.

Actually the dial in one sounds easier to do then the fob, and I would rather have my account be secure so 1000 hours of play time don't go down the drain on some dark day.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Unless they've changed it, having to use one every single time you login becomes a huge pain very quickly.

They changed it. It learns your IP (or maybe MAC?) and as long as you keep logging in from there you only have to auth sporadically. You can choose an option that keeps you having to authenticate every time if you want, though.

Fitz

Are the authenticators OK from places like Amazon? The postcode field on the blizzard site isn't long enough for me to fit mine into, 1 character too short, even with the space removed.

injurai

Banned
They changed it. It learns your IP (or maybe MAC?) and as long as you keep logging in from there you only have to auth sporadically. You can choose an option that keeps you having to authenticate every time if you want, though.

excellent. I think I will order a fob, they are only like $6. Makes a cool keychain as well #undercorepride

scy

By default, the "every time" option is not enabled so it's not even that big of a hassle! Someone pointed it out a few times earlier in the thread but there's been zero hacks of accounts with attached to an Authenticator.

aristotle

Does anyone know if you lose your Nephalem Valor by ending your current session, can you regain it again? I can't detailed info about the mechanics of it.

You can toggle that now. When off it seems to do a check every several attempts (15-20?) or if it detects you logging in from a different IP. Not a pain at all. Has been that way for quite a while now.

edit: beat'd

injurai

Banned
By default, the "every time" option is not enabled so it's not even that big of a hassle! Someone pointed it out a few times earlier in the thread but there's been zero hacks of accounts with attached to an Authenticator.

That is an incredible feat, I assumed they were really effective but thought surely someone would have taken that as a challenge and would at least hack their own account or something.

Number45

Why do you say this? Because of the RMAH?
I'm 99% sure that an authenticator is REQUIRED for the RMAH.

Are the authenticators OK from places like Amazon? The postcode field on the blizzard site isn't long enough for me to fit mine into, 1 character too short, even with the space removed.
You need a Blizzard authenticator. Do you have an IOS/Android phone? If so you can get an authenticator app and it costs nothing.

scy

Does anyone know if you lose your Nephalem Valor by ending your current session, can you regain it again? I can't detailed info about the mechanics of it.

As far as we know, it's a timed buff that is lost when you leave your current game or change your current skills. It's not a permanent buff that persists from game to game.

Ferrio

Banned
That is an incredible feat, I assumed they were really effective but thought surely someone would have taken that as a challenge and would at least hack their own account or something.

The only way you could do it is a middle in the man attack really... which is too much trouble when there's *tons* of unprotected people.

mbmonk

I don't think I am going to mess with the authenticator at first. Once I get a high level character I might look into it. I would like some numbers/data so that I could make a decently informed decision on though. Props to Bliz' for making it free on the phones. I originally thought it cost some $$ to do it. So that is awesome on their behalf.

Speaking of the RMAH, you can also sign up for SMS alerts that let you know if something sketchy is happening on your account involving the RMAH.

Good to know thanks.

zlatko

Banned

The phone is the best option I feel. You use your regular ol password to log into games, but if anyone uses a different PC to log into your account, then they lock it down and give a call saying, "Was this you on this PC?" Makes it the best option I feel for extra security.

Ferrio

Banned
I don't think I am going to mess with the authenticator at first. Once I get a high level character I might look into it. I would like some numbers/data so that I could make a decently informed decision on though. Props to Bliz' for making it free on the phones. I originally thought it cost some $$ to do it. So that is awesome on their behalf.

Informed decision? Uh.. what are you scared of?

scy

The only way you could do it is a middle in the man attack really... which is too much trouble when there's *tons* of unprotected people.

I wonder if some of the lack of hacks just comes from the fact there's so many easier targets so why even bother. Not to undermine the value of the extra layer of protection (because it really does help), just wondering.

This isn't quite true, but it requires the computer you're logging in from to be infected. I suspect some steps to prevent this have been put in place since, the IP tracking piece was put in some time after this development.

V_Arnold

Authenticator is ALWAYS the way to go.
I planned on using a new account on D3 (changed my mind though), and would have bought an authenticator with it without thinking.

There is no downside to the authenticator. My WoW account got hacked and I never visited any wow related websites or emails. May as well just get it and save yourself the inevitable pain.

Junie12

I just used the Battle.net app for my protection, since I always have my iPhone on me and it was the quickest and easiest way to set up ;p

I've pretty much been on a complete blackout as to what has been added to D3 and how the systems work since the game was announced, so I look at the Barb skill calculator right now and my mind is fucking BLOWN by how amazing it seems. So goddamn hyped now. Resuming blackout until launch.

scy

So you get the buff for each rare/unique/boss correct?

Last I heard, they were debating whether or not it stacks (and how much would it stack) and the duration so we can't say for certain yet. Really, the goal is to make loot runs "clear area for Rare/Unique/Champion enemies before killing the boss" but not so good that it's the ONLY option so that boss kill only runs are still viable.

Tacitus_

You really should get one. You won't have any mishaps with your account if you have an auth.

Sothpaw

I can't think of a single reason to not have an authenticator. I lost a WOW account pre authenticator. You're really just playing with fire if you don't have one.

injurai

Banned
Last I heard, they were debating whether or not it stacks (and how much would it stack) and the duration so we can't say for certain yet. Really, the goal is to make loot runs "clear area for Rare/Unique/Champion enemies before killing the boss" but not so good that it's the ONLY option so that boss kill only runs are still viable.

Stacking sounds like it would be a good idea, but It should have diminishing returns. Also The buff should apply to each individual buff in the stack, so it decays over time. That way there is an extra sense of urgency if you want to use it, and at some point continuing to build that stack no longer provides benefits.

If they don't make it stack even a small amount what is stopping people from just finding a rare or champion mob to kill and then skip to the boss? Without it stacking I don't see the problem being fixed.

If they don't make it stack even a small amount what is stopping people from just finding a rare or champion mob to kill and then skip to the boss? Without it stacking I don't see the problem being fixed.

I always enjoyed the pit and act 5 runs more then just teleporting to the boss. A lot more excitement and a lot more drops.

Just another warning/reminder.

You should really have a blizzard authenticator for this game. Either an IOS/Android version, or the actual physical generator. There's going to be *alot* of hacked accounts, and you don't want to be one of them. Your password, no matter how complex it is, isn't safe.

thank you, I just bought mine

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well then... I can't possible feel any worse right now... "Go to bed Yoshi, you're gonna die!" Yeah, thanks for the great tip guys, too bad as soon as I get my first 8 hour sleep, I get sick. That should tell you guys one or two things about my body and how it works.

Thanks indeed.
So why has Yoshi stopped posting these last few hours? I didn't get the memo he was going to sleep.

My undercore brother in arms return to me sooooooooooooon~!
I'm sorry...

zlatko

Banned
Speaking of authenticators can someone tell me what I have to do if the number they want to call is my old house phone when I lived in Nebraska like 7 months ago? I haven't had it changed number wise to my current cell, and I believe in order to do it they have to call the old number right?

Sort of unsure of the steps to take to remedy the issue.

profit

Well then... I couldn't possible feel any worse right now... "Go to bed Yoshi, you're gonna die!" Yeah, thanks for the great tip guys, too bad as soon as I get my first 8 hour sleep, I get sick.

Thanks indeed.

I'm sorry...

Hm, I challenge you to play some SC2 with me, and all of a sudden you get sick..... really convenient eeh?!

feel better soon yoshi <3

injurai

Banned
Well then... I can't possible feel any worse right now... "Go to bed Yoshi, you're gonna die!" Yeah, thanks for the great tip guys, too bad as soon as I get my first 8 hour sleep, I get sick.

Thanks indeed.

I'm sorry...

Oh no! Take all of my Nephalem Valor, you need it more.

zlatko

Banned
Well then... I couldn't possible feel any worse right now... "Go to bed Yoshi, you're gonna die!" Yeah, thanks for the great tip guys, too bad as soon as I get my first 8 hour sleep, I get sick.

Thanks indeed.

I'm sorry...

You slept for 8 hours? Is such a thing even possible?

I'd never tell you to sleep more than 5-6 <3

Junie12

You slept for 8 hours? Is such a thing even possible?

I'd never tell you to sleep more than 5-6 <3

I haven't slept for 8 hours in years and I turn out just fine

As long as I have my pills, which I need to buy more of when this game comes out..

alright so i am shopping in the Blizz store to maybe get myself an authenticator, and all i can find are STARCRAFT and WOW authenticators WTF i want a Diablo one for my Diablo game since i don't play the 2 others anymore :(

missed opportunity right there Blizz!

mbmonk

Informed decision? Uh.. what are you scared of?

Security is really hard to place a value on for me. If I pay for it ( either through money or convenience ) and don't end up needing it I feel like I am wasting time/money. But if security saves my butt I feel like it's well worth it. So I always have this weird dichotomy going on in my head.

Security sales tactics are normally based on fear. I would prefer to have some sort of probability measurement so I can understand my exposure to a given security threat before signing up for it.

The authenticator is free, but I don't know how much of a pain in the rear it is to use. I need to gather more information. Though looking at the FAQ it seems like rooting your cellphone increases your risks and I always root my phones. I just like the freedom that gives me with my phone.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate you warning about accounts being hacked and the authenticator. I just need to gather some more info on the subject before linking an authenticator to my account.

aristotle

This isn't quite true, but it requires the computer you're logging in from to be infected. I suspect some steps to prevent this have been put in place since, the IP tracking piece was put in some time after this development.

That's the first one I've heard of.

As it stands now they only have a 15-30 second window to log into your account. They really can't do much damage if they even do that though. The worst they can do is either strip or sell all of your stuff. But you just call their support and it'll all be returned to you. They can't change your info without a new auth code and they can't remove the authenticator without yet another auth code. So they basically just have 30 seconds to log in and then strip your stuff, which you will get back from their Support team. Not to mention that they have to spoof your IP as well for them even to be able to get in if they know your authenticator code.

Hell I've had to re-enter the codes more than once on several occasions because I didn't type it in fast enough. There's even a progress bar on the free app so if you're overly paranoid you just wait until the last second to enter the last number to authenticate your account.

Einbroch

Banned
Had one. Then my dog knocked my phone into the pool. Then I removed it by sending in my ID. Then someone literally hacked my account within 2 hours of me removing my authenticator. Then I sweeped through my computer for any spyware, changed all my passwords, and added an authenticator. Now three months later I get a notice that I've been banned.

They're toying with me.

LordCanti

>.< Blizzard Viral Marketing, YOU SELL OUTS ;P <3

It's free though, unless you want the FOB.

Had one. Then my dog knocked my phone into the pool. Then I removed it by sending in my ID. Then someone literally hacked my account within 2 hours of me removing my authenticator. Then I sweeped through my computer for any spyware, changed all my passwords, and added an authenticator. Now three months later I get a notice that I've been banned.

They're toying with me.

I know that feel. My Diablo 2 account was hacked/gutted years ago. All my loot, gone =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom