• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT| Stay Awhile And... *click* *click* *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Sure you can...

Or is this a joke about debt not being "real money"

I take it back. I guess someone actually could put an item worth more than they can actually pay onto a credit card, and take on debt that way.

Please don't do it people. It's not worth it.

Unless you're buying one of my items of course... *trollface*

injurai

Banned
i don't want to have to do 2+ hour runs in order to get good drops. i like to afk, take breaks, etc. i don't mind the idea that its trying to penalize those who constantly change builds, but to penalize those that like to play shorter sessions or perhaps those with less stable connections (since the game requiers always online) sounds like a bad idea to me.

There are quite a few rares on each level, and when I mean diminishing returns I mean making it so you don't have to play for long periods of time. The difference is that it decays over time. You could even make that decay remain past log out, similar to how the hearth stone in wow works.

scy

i can't really comment for sure since i don't really know what the game is like... but i don't want to have to do 2+ hour runs in order to get good drops. i like to afk, take breaks, etc. i don't mind the idea that its trying to penalize those who constantly change builds, but to penalize those that like to play shorter sessions or perhaps those with less stable connections (since the game requiers always online) sounds like a bad idea to me.

Since it's just extra MF% (and a loot drop), you can still just boss rush. That will take the least amount of time and, hell, you can kill any Uniques you see on the way to the boss room anyway.

I see the goal of Nephalem Valor is so that you get rewarded for doing those longer runs with better chances of loot. It's not to make short runs worthless but an extra incentive to actually clear areas instead of running by all the enemies.

The Chef

Anyone have this beast?
41rsBCBvxtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$60 is waaay more than I really want to spend though, but maybe crazy ass mice are worth it?

Junie12

I take it back. I guess someone actually could put an item worth more than they can actually pay onto a credit card, and take on debt that way.

I should probably stay from the auction house then, I'm horrible with money :(

injurai

Banned
Since it's just extra MF% (and a loot drop), you can still just boss rush. That will take the least amount of time and, hell, you can kill any Uniques you see on the way to the boss room anyway.

I see the goal of Nephalem Valor is so that you get rewarded for doing those longer runs with better chances of loot. It's not to make short runs worthless but an extra incentive to actually clear areas instead of running by all the enemies.

Exactly, and it's genius. Nothing feels better than your hard exerted work paying off.

Someone is going to try to game the system and they will fail. With a $250 cap, and 8 item limit you need extra accounts to really sell, and then your not making your money back at that point.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone have this beast?

$60 is waaay more than I really want to spend though, but maybe crazy ass mice are worth it?
I would only recommend this to anyone who has experience pressing on "special" mouse buttons without having to sacrifice mouse precision.

injurai

Banned
Anyone have this beast?

IMO it's not the best gaming mouse. My friends has it, and that was the mouse I almost went with. The hyper scroll wheel really sucks for games too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Preloading right now.

The blizzard downloader doesn't suck as much ass as I remember.
That depends which period of time you "remember"... WoW/TBC launch? Good God.

Does anyone know anything about cross-game chat? I'm assuming I can't just login with my SC2 account and start playing Diablo 3 and that I will need a new account... but then cross game chat seems kinda useless.

scy

Anyone have this beast?

I have the MX Revolution (the prior model) and, while it's a good mouse, I prefer staying away from wireless setups. I used it in my comfy couch gaming setup for awhile and it wasn't awful by any means but it was far from preferred.

Edit: CM Storm Spawn is pretty good for the low price ($30?) but it's also pretty small. Razer Deathadder isn't that expensive but it's Razer so it's back-and-forth on the build quality. The Logitech G400 is $40 and really good so I'd look at that as well.

Fugu

I'm responding to a post from several hours ago but it would be impolite not to, so, sorry.

I do not want to just blindly oppose you, so sorry if it might seem that way, but botting in World of Warcraft is largely possible because of the simple nature of the game interface. If you are using a heartstone, move along a set of predetermined distances, you will reach your destination, and you can just repeat this process. Up till this point, you needed no data to be analyzed, just blindly give inputs to the client. Now, you are at the point of farm: you just hit TAB, which targets the monster automatically - again, no input needed, just a simple check. Then you hit an attack - if no monster is targeted, the attack fails, so you move around almost randomly in a predetermined circle. Then you do the basic framework of a battle, inputting the usual rotation. Then repeat. Then repeat.

What I am getting at is that in WoW (and in most MMO's) you can set up a bot with very, very little feedback needed. Diablo III is nowhere near this in complexity. I know bots existed in D2 and still do, but we need to make a meeting point between these assumptions:

-Bad security, easy to rig battle system (an MMO with bad security)
-Bad security, harder to rig battle system (Diablo 2)
-Good security, easy to rig battle system (WoW)
-Good security(?), harder to rig battle system (Diablo 3).

I can totally see why D3 will be the game to stay relatively clean for a long, long time.
The basic tenant of your argument -- that a more complex game will be more difficult to bot -- is one that I agree with, and I think I mentioned that I think it is what will prevent bots from taking off in Diablo 3 for at least a little while. However, I remain skeptical that of the assertion it will never happen (or, at least, not happen to a degree that will affect serious-minded players) if Blizzard does not remain ultra-vigilant with cheat protection. Bots don't have to clear the endgame content; all that has to happen is that they have to find one out of dozens of areas in the game that they can do with consistency, and they probably will. And the longer the game stays out, the more sophisticated the bots become, and the more of an effect that they will have on the game.

Encounters will likely be more complex in Diablo 3 than they were in Diablo 2, but I don't think you can say definitively that they will be more dangerous, especially considering bots were botting (on hardcore, mind you) in the era of MSLE monsters, and they continue to bot 99% of the game's content with impunity and largely without using any tools not accessible to the average player.

Cheating prevention must therefore not rely solely on the game itself, which your post acknowledges, if I'm reading it correctly. And it's here that I feel that Blizzard has historically been lacking.

Since it is objectively the wrong decision then making the case should be easy for you to do. Drop a knowledge bomb on me!!! :)

It takes one maybe two seconds to type in a 6 digit number once a week. It's free. It stops you from getting hacked, which take a lot more time to get your account back especcially if the hacker put their own authenticator on it(usually the case). There is really no downside to having one.

Does anyone know anything about cross-game chat? I'm assuming I can't just login with my SC2 account and start playing Diablo 3 and that I will need a new account... but then cross game chat seems kinda useless.

You use your battle.net account for all Blizzard games. You won't need a different account for D3.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It takes one maybe two seconds to type in a 6 digit number once a week. It's free. It stops you from getting hacked, which take a lot more time to get your account back especcially if the hacker put their own authenticator on it(usually the case). There is really no downside to having one.

That's pretty much the meat of it, yeah. I don't understand any thought process that comes to the conclusion that it "isn't worth the hassle" because it's just not a thought process that is rationally considering some pretty straightforward facts.

Whooter

I believe you're assuming incorrectly. One battle.net account to rule them all... Your D3 login should be the same as your SC2 login, unless you purposely create separate bnet accounts for them...

Ferrio

Banned
So what's the latest class distribution on the GAF list?

All
Code:
-	Barbarian  Demon Hunter  Monk  Witch Doctor  Wizard
137        55           52        49       33         53

North America
Code:
29         34           42        36       22         38

Europe
Code:
8          17           9         10       9         11

Fugu

That's pretty much the meat of it, yeah. I don't understand any thought process that comes to the conclusion that it "isn't worth the hassle" because it's just not a thought process that is rationally considering some pretty straightforward facts.
I lost my authenticator once because it broke off of its chain. If you're a moron like me, this is something you should consider.

scy

Since it is objectively the wrong decision then making the case should be easy for you to do. Drop a knowledge bomb on me!!! :)

Basically, if you don't use the Authenticator, you run the risk of being hacked. The chance is pretty high, to be honest, so you really want to do something about it in general. Password security (and not falling for suspicious e-mails) only goes so far.

With the Authenticator, you take maybe an extra minute per week to login and reduce your chance of being hacked to practically 0. For no monetary cost unless you really want the keyfob instead of using your phone.

Whooter

Anyone who thinks the Authenticator "isn't worth the hassle" has not had their account hacked.

Yet.

You use your battle.net account for all Blizzard games. You won't need a different account for D3.

Yeah but the battle.net account is at the most general level only. I have have an SC2 tag (which determines my in-game nick). I'm wondering if I can log into Diablo with that (I'm assuming NOT).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I lost my authenticator once because it broke off of its chain. If you're a moron like me, this is something you should consider.

I had to factory reset my Ipod Touch once, so lost my Auth that way. I called Blizzard and got it fixed. It wasn't terribly inconvenient, and absolutely a less potential evil than having to call them to get a hacked account back.

LordCanti

All
Code:
137        55           52        49       33         53

North America
Code:
29         34           42        36       22         38

Europe
Code:
8          17           9         10       9         11

Somehow I just noticed that classes/regions were added to the list.

If whoever keeps the list could add North America and Demon Hunter next to my name, I'd appreciate it.

Yoshichan

Wait, you're understanding this wrong. You buy one of Blizzards games, you create a Battle.net account and you use this for every game. Cross-chat between the games makes complete sense.

Ferrio

Banned
I had to factory reset my Ipod Touch once, so lost my Auth that way. I called Blizzard and got it fixed. It wasn't terribly inconvenient, and absolutely a less potential evil than having to call them to get a hacked account back.

They offer a recovery mode on the iphone/android now. Basically I screenshot the recovery screen, store it somewhere safe.

Yoshichan

Indeed. They will get hacked sooner or later and here's a true story: I had a fellow GAFer remove his authenticator for 24 hours, so that I could try out the MoP-beta. Loe and behold, he got hacked - immediately.

Wait, you're understanding this wrong. You buy one of Blizzards games, you create a Battle.net account and you use this for every game. Cross-chat between the games makes complete sense.

Yeah after looking around, it appears I can just login to Diablo with the SC2 battle tag associated with my Bnet account. Nice.

injurai

Banned

and battletags are going to be incorporated into all b.net games now as well correct? alongside real-id and the sc account name extension?

scy

Indeed. They will get hacked sooner or later and here's a true story: I had a fellow GAFer remove his authenticator for 24 hours, so that I could try out the MoP-beta. Loe and behold, he got hacked - immediately.

I like to imagine that there was some script just constantly running and checking to see if it could access the account. Day in and day out. Month after month.

Yeah but the battle.net account is at the most general level only. I have have an SC2 tag (which determines my in-game nick). I'm wondering if I can log into Diablo with that (I'm assuming NOT).

I am not sure what you mean. You log in to SC2 with an email right? Then you are good, just attach D3 to that same account on battle.net. You will be able to talk to the people through real id.

You don't even have to call to get it removed anymore. I actually reset my phone a lot and always forget to remove my authenticator, it's usually just a couple questions on their site and an email now.

Whooter

Still surprised, that despite it being pretty even, that the Witch Doctor is last. Im running a Wizard, but I had a blast with the Witch Doctor.

I love the Witch Doctor.

During the beta I learned that there is no problem so large, that it cannot be solved by shooting flaming bats at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom